Vanity Fair Web Exclusive: 'I'm With Michael' by Todd Gray

elmari

Proud Member
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/features/2009/10/michael-jackson-excerpt-200910?printable=true

I’m with Michael!

After landing an assignment shooting the Jackson 5, the author was told that Michael Jackson wanted him to be his personal photographer. The result: a trove of images, taken between 1974 and 1984, that reveal the future King of Pop’s quiet, soulful side. Related: Gray’s exclusive photos.
By Todd Gray

WEB EXCLUSIVE October 23, 2009

Excerpted from Michael Jackson: Before He Was King, by Todd Gray, to be published on November 6, 2009, by Chronicle Books; © 2009 by the author.

In January 1980, I received a call saying that Michael Jackson had specifically requested me to photograph him at Disneyland, where he was taping a television special celebrating the 25th anniversary of the Magic Kingdom. When Michael was not on the set performing, he took every opportunity to explore the park. The moment the director would release him from the set in order to prepare the next shot, Michael would grab my arm and say, “Come on, let’s hit some rides.” Off we went, the two of us accompanied by a Disney security person, who ushered us through secret passageways, making certain we never waited in line. Michael, who was 21 at the time, loved Disneyland, and while sitting next to him on the rides—the Matterhorn, the Pirates of the Caribbean—I joined right in with his screams and laughter. We really had fun.

Not long after this job, I got another call from the Jacksons’ manager, Ron Weisner, asking me to shoot Michael at a charity event. He said that Michael had instructed him to hire only me when he needed a photographer. Then Ron asked me, “What’s up with you and Michael?” I answered, “We just get along, I guess.” (I had first met Michael in 1974 while photographing the Jackson 5 for Soul Newspaper.) I asked Ron if Michael had given him any indication as to why he wanted only me to photograph him. He said Michael told him, “I like Todd because he doesn’t talk much.” And that’s how it began. I was Michael’s photographer and friend for the next four years. It was the ride of my life.

From early on, I saw how dedicated Michael was to work. He worked nearly all the time and rarely seemed to relax. A great deal of time was spent in the recording studio—the Jacksons’ intense focus on creating a flawless product helped make them the success that they became, and Michael was clearly the most focused, hardest-working member of the group. While in the mixing booth, making technical adjustments and working the board with the engineers, he would whisper instructions to his brothers about a vocal arrangement, whispering not because the instructions were secret, but because he was shy and didn’t like to yell out his ideas.

In the spring of 1981, Michael and his brothers began rehearsals for the Triumph Tour, which would travel to 35 cities in North America. When Michael found time to relax, he loved to leaf through photographic books. He especially loved books about 1930s Hollywood glamour, richly illustrated children’s books, and coffee-table books on photography. Michael would usually hole up in the rear of the bus, while the others spent their time together in front. I also preferred the quiet at the back, and I would sit down with him while he was engrossed in reading.

My photographs of Michael, from 1974 to 1984, show him as the engaging, charming, youthful person he was before the insatiable demands of his extraordinary celebrity bore so heavily on him. As I reflect, I realize now that this was the time before he was King.

michael-jackson-excerpt-0910-ps01.jpg

During the taping of a 1980 TV special featuring Michael and Danny Kaye at Disneyland, I photographed Michael in a variety of ways. Either management or the record company (or both, I no longer remember) asked me to portray him as a masculine adult whenever possible.

michael-jackson-excerpt-0910-ps02.jpg

Michael waits in the executive lounge for a flight on Delta Airlines. An airline rep had given Michael captain’s wings and he’d pinned them to his hat.

michael-jackson-excerpt-0910-ps03.jpg

At the Record Plant studio in Hollywood in 1974, the Jacksons joined Stevie Wonder to record his song “You Haven’t Done Nothin’.” Michael seemed oblivious to everything that was not connected to the recording process, or the genius of Stevie Wonder.

michael-jackson-excerpt-0910-ps04.jpg

Michael showed me his newly finished private theater, complete with plush red velvet seats. I thought his blue sweater would complement the deep red, and I asked him to take a seat and pretend as if he were watching a movie. “Which movie?” he asked. I said, “It doesn’t matter. Any movie will do.” But Michael insisted: “Todd, you’ve got to tell me which movie I’m supposed to be watching if you want a reaction from me.” O.K., what about a Charlie Chaplin comedy, I suggested. “Which one?” Michael asked. “He’s made so many, you know.” My mind went blank; luckily, my assistant shouted out, “Modern Times.” Michael responded, “O.K., which part?” Exasperated, I said, “Michael, it’s a comedy, just laugh!” It was getting late and we were all tired and a little punchy, but Michael was having fun with all of this. “Well,” he began, “if you want me to laugh, then you have to tell me a joke. But you said you wanted me to act like I’m watching a movie. Which is it you want?” Finally I gave up and made a ridiculous clown face, which made him laugh.

michael-jackson-excerpt-0910-ps05.jpg

Before almost every concert, there would be a meeting in the dressing room to go over any particularities of the venue that might affect the performance. Each venue differed in sound, mixing-booth location, and seating arrangement, and each had its own set of legal codes and rules. Slight adjustments were made at every show to conform to the requirements of the hall. Michael also took this opportunity to make improvements to the show or point out weaknesses in the previous concert.

michael-jackson-excerpt-0910-ps06.jpg

In 1983, I was on a cover assignment to photograph Michael at his home in Encino, California. He had recently finished a complete remodel and transformed it into his dream home, complete with movie theater, zoo, and Disney-inspired attractions in the backyard. This was to be Michael’s testing ground, a mini-version of Neverland, which he built in Santa Barbara County years later.

michael-jackson-excerpt-0910-ps07.jpg

Michael waits backstage at one of the many Los Angeles charity events he donated his time and talent to support, 1980.

michael-jackson-excerpt-0910-ps08.jpg

Fans gather to greet the Jacksons as they arrive to play the Omni in Atlanta, July 1981.

michael-jackson-excerpt-0910-ps09.jpg

Michael enjoys a little downtime.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...hael-jackson-excerpt-slideshow-200910#slide=1

hmmm..IMHO...sounds to me as though he is trying to cash in on the name MJ too.....I just dont understand these people...they were privileged enough to be in Michael's inner circle...Michael passes away and they cannot wait to cash in.....I would think they would want to keep to themselves and not always try to seek publicity...i guess the people in Michael's life who were true friends...are still silent....as It should be

hmmm..IMHO...sounds to me as though he is trying to cash in on the name MJ too.....I just dont understand these people...they were privileged enough to be in Michael's inner circle...Michael passes away and they cannot wait to cash in.....I would think they would want to keep to themselves and not always try to seek publicity...i guess the people in Michael's life who were true friends...are still silent....as It should be

NO! He was planning to release this book already in 2008. He was already selecting the photos when MJ...

This guy is a photographer and he was planning this book since late 2007.

I love his photos so I think I'll try to get my hands on this book in the library.

Member ItsALLforLOVE posted an interview that Todd Gray recently did with AH to promote the book. He seems quite nice. I love the pictures that he took of Michael during this era.

http://www.accesshollywood.com/a-lo...sformation-into-the-king-of-pop_video_1169373

I also read an excerpt from the book that someone posted on another MJ board that said Todd had done a very nice photoshoot with Michael around 1980. After Michael had seen the pictures, he ordered two of every picture, a set for him and a set for Diana Ross. Todd was amazed because he considers the photoshoot a success if one or two prints are ordered. :)

ETA: Found the exact excerpt:

From the book "Before He Was King":

We arranged to do this shoot of Michael in the Presidential Suite of the Peach Tree Hotel in Atlanta in the late afternoon, the time photographers call the "magic hour," when the light casts a warm glow and the angle of the sun creates deep shadows. Throughout the session, Michael tended to look away from the camera and directly into the lens, and he only smiled once of twice during the forty-five-minute shoot. We barely spoke to one another, not wanting to break the spell. I made minimal hand gestures to direct him, and I would nod and hum approvingly when I was sure I got something special.

Later, when I showed him the proof sheets of the photo session, he ordered two large prints of every picture, which was highly unusual. Typically, if someone orders one or two pictures from a session, it's considered a success. I was blown away. "Two of every single one? That's about 144 prints... Michael answered, "Yes, I can count. I want one set for myself and one for Diana [Ross]. Todd, this is magic."

This is my favorite photo session with Michael.

1zb9d3l.jpg

NO! He was planning to release this book already in 2008. He was already selecting the photos when MJ...

aahhh....ok..thank you for the correction....I just get so defensive,,as far as Michael is concerned and all the leeches out there...thanks again..:)

Omigoodness! This is wonderful!! I've been wanting this book since it came out, but now I HAVE to have it! LoL. No question. You can tell the difference between a photographer who's shooting for money and one who's shooting because they love photographing the subject. He really understood Michael, you can see it in his work. He captured everything I love about him. I love his commentary. Thank you so so much, elmari!

:wild:

Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember some of these pictures in the 1980s - I had some of them in my scrapbook - and the one in the theater with MJ laughing was one of my favorites.

ooooh, todd gray tok some GOOD photos!!!:wub:

And yeah, come on over to the 'Before he was king' thread in the man in the mirror forum :yes:
There's a link to a really good AH interview Todd did in that thread!!

Last edited:
I need people to relax instead of jumping on every single person who has a book out. If some of the people on this forum would take the time to do some research about people instead of JUMPING to conclusions all the time.. ugh...

Anyway, I have the book, it's fantastic. Todd Gray is such a nice person.. we've spoken briefly on facebook.

Beautiful pictures. I really like everything that I've seen from this book so far.

Quite frankly, I am thrilled to see, finally, some decent literature coming out on Michael. I get so angry everytime I go in a Borders and all you can see is crap written by idiots who never even met the man. So sickening. His artistry and true persona needs to be published and put on the shelves so the general public can get to know and see the real man. :yes:

This book, I will have no problem buying. I just hope the bookstores take their self-imposed ban off the positive publishings. If not, there's always Amazon.

michael-jackson-excerpt-0910-ps01.jpg

During the taping of a 1980 TV special featuring Michael and Danny Kaye at Disneyland, I photographed Michael in a variety of ways. Either management or the record company (or both, I no longer remember) asked me to portray him as a masculine adult whenever possible.
I giggled a bit at the description considering the fact that in that Disneyland video, Michael was skipping and prancing around with Mickey and the gang.:lol:
Anyway, *faints at the picture*.

Quite frankly, I am thrilled to see, finally, some decent literature coming out on Michael. I get so angry everytime I go in a Borders and all you can see is crap written by idiots who never even met the man. So sickening. His artistry and true persona needs to be published and put on the shelves so the general public can get to know and see the real man. :yes:

This book, I will have no problem buying. I just hope the bookstores take their self-imposed ban off the positive publishings. If not, there's always Amazon.

You know what. . . I went to both Borders and Barnes and Nobles and they DON'T have this book in stock. :( In fact, only one of them had one copy of Moonwalk. But they had tons of copies of Schumley's and Halperin's books. Quite sad, actually.

Anyways, it's cheaper on Amazon anyways. About $10 cheaper and you can qualify for free shipping if you spend $25. :)

I preordered this book and received it earlier this month.. Let me just say that if you are a fan of the Destiny/Triumph era like me, then this is the book to get. I look at it every night and notice something new each night... It's just precious.... Hell I wish the book had more pictures...lol

These two are my favorite that are in the book... (sorry they aren't all that clear, I took the pics with my phone. will scan the book later so you all can see them clearer.)

mj407.jpg
MJ being woken up by Todd due to the flash.... Oh what wonderful thoughts *ok back on topic*..lol

mj346.jpg

Last edited:
I can't wait to get this book!

michael-jackson-excerpt-0910-ps04.jpg

Michael showed me his newly finished private theater, complete with plush red velvet seats. I thought his blue sweater would complement the deep red, and I asked him to take a seat and pretend as if he were watching a movie. “Which movie?” he asked. I said, “It doesn’t matter. Any movie will do.” But Michael insisted: “Todd, you’ve got to tell me which movie I’m supposed to be watching if you want a reaction from me.” O.K., what about a Charlie Chaplin comedy, I suggested. “Which one?” Michael asked. “He’s made so many, you know.” My mind went blank; luckily, my assistant shouted out, “Modern Times.” Michael responded, “O.K., which part?” Exasperated, I said, “Michael, it’s a comedy, just laugh!” It was getting late and we were all tired and a little punchy, but Michael was having fun with all of this. “Well,” he began, “if you want me to laugh, then you have to tell me a joke. But you said you wanted me to act like I’m watching a movie. Which is it you want?” Finally I gave up and made a ridiculous clown face, which made him laugh.

This totally sounds like what I would say if someone asked me to smile like I was watching a movie lol.

Also with the other picture where Michael said ''Yes, I can count'' is soo something I would say. Love reading stuff like that.

i will try and get around to scanning the pic of some of the brothers with the late Mrs. Coretta Scott King... I thought that was a nice pic.. and the stories behind the pics are rather funny.. especially the one about his personal cook on the tour..

Back