V EXCLUSIVE: Rodney Jerkins Talks MJ's Last Studio Album, Invincible

thanks for posting this! :) I hope the video's do get released some day...

rodney is in a round about way aknowledging Vince isnt that good an album?? hes not saying "o its my best work" or ANYTHING like that- he said it didnt end up the way he wanted it... hes basically apologising for the fact the allbum is not that good...i'm even willing to bet that in his heart he feels Brandys Full Moon was better

there is a reason ALL the critics (or virtually all) panned it

im a huge MJ fan but even i can admit this album was bad. even Rodney seems to admit it (maybe its just the way im reading it)... but if someone ever asked him what his greatest work is.. i couldnt picture Vince featuring, having read this interview

songs like "dont walk..","heaven can wait","you are my life", "threatened".. all so so bland... just usual generic pop records.. nothing DIFFERENT like "smooth criminal" etc etc

and "privacy" is one of the worst song ive ever heard in my life

If I played Privacy for you on my massive stereo, you would change your mind.

The thing about Invincible is that the sound is so massive and high tech, you can't really hear the songs on everyday normal systems. You need the expensive stuff to really listen to the album. Only sound geeks know this fact:)

Michael knew that the future was technology and he made sure his album had the best sound. But the album was way ahead of its time and the public didn't get it.

Maybe now is the time to re-release it?

K.O.S, I think you are very right about the loud- sound thing!

I am sad that not many appreciate Invincible,its actually an excellent album ,but people want another thriller ,which is impossible.

I personally feel the lack of songs written and composed by Michael himself made all the difference.

Michael knew that the future was technology and he made sure his album had the best sound. But the album was way ahead of its time and the public didn't get it.

Totally agree. Music is headed in that direction NOW. Michael was always ahead of the times. When he released Invincible, that style of music wasn't very 'out there'. I remember thinking even back when it was released how incredibly futuristic it sounded for its time.

If I played Privacy for you on my massive stereo, you would change your mind.

the first time I listened to the album through headphones, it was like I was listening for the first time! So much stuff I had missed when listening though my regular speaker system.

It's a great album.

rodney is in a round about way aknowledging Vince isnt that good an album?? hes not saying "o its my best work" or ANYTHING like that- he said it didnt end up the way he wanted it... hes basically apologising for the fact the allbum is not that good...i'm even willing to bet that in his heart he feels Brandys Full Moon was better

there is a reason ALL the critics (or virtually all) panned it

im a huge MJ fan but even i can admit this album was bad. even Rodney seems to admit it (maybe its just the way im reading it)... but if someone ever asked him what his greatest work is.. i couldnt picture Vince featuring, having read this interview

songs like "dont walk..","heaven can wait","you are my life", "threatened".. all so so bland... just usual generic pop records.. nothing DIFFERENT like "smooth criminal" etc etc

and "privacy" is one of the worst song ive ever heard in my life

well, that's your opinion (Invincible is bad, etc). however, it's an intensely personal album and, I believe, unlike any other MJ has ever produced/created. I believe that once people take the idea that this is a *Michael Jackson* album out of their heads and stop expecting certain kinds of tracks and sounds, they will know this album for what it truly was: Michael's deepest feelings on display.

music should not just be about the Top Forty or highest downloads or what-have-you. it should be about emotional expression. and if one listens closely, without preconceived notions and expectations, this is a fragile and beautiful album -- full of pain and betrayal as well as hopes and dreams. it's an album to listen to in the dark of night, when you're feeling fragile and alone as well. it's not Thriller or even Bad or Dangerous, but it's a wonderful expression of a momentous fork-in-the-road moment in his life.

well, that's your opinion (Invincible is bad, etc). however, it's an intensely personal album and, I believe, unlike any other MJ has ever produced/created. I believe that once people take the idea that this is a *Michael Jackson* album out of their heads and stop expecting certain kinds of tracks and sounds, they will know this album for what it truly was: Michael's deepest feelings on display.

music should not just be about the Top Forty or highest downloads or what-have-you. it should be about emotional expression. and if one listens closely, without preconceived notions and expectations, this is a fragile and beautiful album -- full of pain and betrayal as well as hopes and dreams. it's an album to listen to in the dark of night, when you're feeling fragile and alone as well. it's not Thriller or even Bad or Dangerous, but it's a wonderful expression of a momentous fork-in-the-road moment in his life.

but i havent got expectations really. when i say .. wheres the "smooth criminal".. i dont mean.. songs that sound just like that.. i mean songs that are so imaginative and so creative that they could only have come from MJ... think "beat it" .. think "will you be there", "who is it", "is it scary"... original.. SO ORIGINAL

if i heard rhiana singing "dont walk away" or "heaven can wait" or "you are my life" id just think "o another dreary pop song". cos thats all they are to me

They dont show me MJ.. and arent that personal to me.. cos almost every track lists about 15 song writers. So i have no idea what bit MJ contributed. and the bit you guys may be listening to thinking"o thats so personal".. someone else probably wrote

i do LOVE whatever happens.. but i think MJs voice isnt its usual best on the record. id have loved to hear it re recorded when he got over whatever vocal problems he was having at the time

Y'all are welcome!

I think the biggest problem with Invincible is the fact that we've grown to expect "short films" to accompany Michael's music. The video for YRMW made the music that much better. I can't help but to see the vid in my head when I hear the song. Same with Cry.

So, the lack of vids to support the other single(s) like Butterflies, made a huge difference, I think.

The sound? Michael, ahead of his time...as usual. I agree that if you don't listen to his music with a little extra volume and a decent sound system, as Michael would say...

you're missin' out! :cheeky:

It's like goin' from cassette to CD.

Agree with all of this, especially the bold part, people's expectations are no doubt what plagued Michael's music career since Thriller.

knowing that footage exists just made my day, no month!! Really.

but i havent got expectations really. when i say .. wheres the "smooth criminal".. i dont mean.. songs that sound just like that.. i mean songs that are so imaginative and so creative that they could only have come from MJ... think "beat it" .. think "will you be there", "who is it", "is it scary"... original.. SO ORIGINAL

if i heard rhiana singing "dont walk away" or "heaven can wait" or "you are my life" id just think "o another dreary pop song". cos thats all they are to me

They dont show me MJ.. and arent that personal to me.. cos almost every track lists about 15 song writers. So i have no idea what bit MJ contributed. and the bit you guys may be listening to thinking"o thats so personal".. someone else probably wrote

i do LOVE whatever happens.. but i think MJs voice isnt its usual best on the record. id have loved to hear it re recorded when he got over whatever vocal problems he was having at the time

well, I'll just agree to disagree with you there :)

I think his voice in Speechless, YAML, WH, BoD etc is gorgeous. I think this album will stand the test of time. it's a little jewel.

Mike spoke about anatomy of the sound.Imagine you take every note and put it on a microscope and you see the atoms of the sound are dancing round in circles on different levels..I consider Invincible the masterpiece of his maturity.To me it expresses the whole experience of Mike's life...

Thanks for this interview. Invincible wasn't a bad album; it just took a while to get into some of it.

Back