Usher: Innovator Or Follower?

billyworld99

Proud Member
Usher has long been heralded as one of music’s most celebrated artists. Ranked as the 2nd most successful act of the last decade on the Billboard charts, he managed to give R&B music a voice amidst the expanding sea of Hip-Hop and Pop artists who began to dominate radio stations in recent years.

Nonetheless, it seems that the tide of change has finally gotten too powerful for even Usher to resist as he prepares to reinvent his sound with the launch of a new genre he calls “Revolutionary Pop”. This decision has left many of his loyal fans baffled as they wonder if he is truly being innovative or simply joining the Pop music bandwagon in an effort to remain relevant.

Usher accomplished record-breaking success with his diamond-certified ‘Confessions’ album in 2004 which sold a colossal 20 million copies worldwide and spawned 4 #1 singles on the Billboard Hot 100. However, as sales throughout the industry continue to tumble, he has been unable to match his previous achievements, at least on the album charts.

Scoring worldwide hits with last year’s ‘OMG (Ft. Will.i.am)’ and ‘DJ Got Us Fallin’ In Love (Ft. Pitbull)’, Usher has gotten a taste of the mainstream success that Pop music has to offer and it seems that he wants more. Indeed, it would be difficult for him to resist the temptation of experimenting further in that genre, especially since none of his recent R&B single managed to crack the top 20 of the Billboard Hot 100.

Now, after chanting “R&B for life” at the 2010 American Music Awards, Usher has seemingly abandoned his roots altogether by preparing to launch “Revolutionary Pop” on his next album. While some argue that he is doing what is necessary to remain commercially viable and that he is expanding his sound like his mentor Michael Jackson did before him, many claim that he is simply following a trend.

Nevertheless, both fans and critics eagerly await the release of Usher’s next album. Yet, many brace themselves for disappointment as the man who was once touted as next in line to replace R. Kelly as R&B’s King begins his transformation into the next Ke$ha.

http://thatgrapejuice.net/2011/01/usher-innovator-follower/

80% Follower (How much more blatant does he need to be?)
20% Innovator

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

^^^ lol funny
to the op: do you also post on prince.org because the same exact thread is new over there also

I love Usher but it's a follower for me and it's obvious. He's already turned round and said basically he wants to be Michael Jackson. Michael will always be the innovator and everyone else the follower and that isn't a bad thing-everyone wants to learn, copy, and be like Michael.

Michael will always be the innovator and everyone else the follower and that isn't a bad thing-everyone wants to learn, copy, and be like Michael.

No it's not, I don't like it when fans bash other artists for this either. Michael did this himself with aritists that inspired him, Fans don't think him wrong for doing that so it shouldn't be wrong for them to be influenced by Michael and have that show in their work.

No it's not, I don't like it when fans bash other artists for this either. Michael did this himself with aritists that inspired him, Fans don't think him wrong for doing that so it shouldn't be wrong for them to be influenced by Michael and have that show in their work.

Exactly. Michael openly admitted he was inspired by people such as James Brown, Jackie Wilson, Fred Astaire etc.

earlier i think usher was trying to be more of an innovator(8701,confessions). as of lately it seems as if he copies

Follow the leader, just like Gaga and everyone else the public is in love with nowadays. There's nothing even remotely fresh about any of them--and they're either deluded by thinking themselves revolutionary, or just going along with their new image for the money. Most likely the second--I can't imagine so many people being so wrong about their own identity.

Follow the leader, just like Gaga and everyone else the public is in love with nowadays. There's nothing even remotely fresh about any of them--and they're either deluded by thinking themselves revolutionary, or just going along with their new image for the money. Most likely the second--I can't imagine so many people being so wrong about their own identity.

I agree. Lady Gaga is nothing original either. Musically she's a lot like 90s dance music, image-wise she is only doing what Madonna has done 25 years ago.

like someone said there is a huge difference between being a follower and a copycat.

Last edited:
I seriously don't see anything innovative in Usher's work.. :scratch:

..and I have the same opinion mainly about everyone else in todays music industry..

I agree. Lady Gaga is nothing original either. Musically she's a lot like 90s dance music, image-wise she is only doing what Madonna has done 25 years ago.

Please don't insult 90's dance music like that. Compared to Lady Gaga 90's dance music is genius.

Please don't insult 90's dance music like that. Compared to Lady Gaga 90's dance music is genius.

Exactly............at least people still brought music in those days........

Gaga's songs all sound the same...............

The thing which i enjoy the most about 90's dance music is that it's very melodic.

You cannot really blame Usher, his 'Here I Stand' album had some fantastic r'n'b records however the album was panned by critics which resulted in poor sales. Unfortunately now he going down the Will.I.am style of music.... OMG... this song is crap.

Last edited:
Usher is a follower (I think copycat is more appropriate). No ifs, ands, or buts about it. He hasn't done a single thing that is remotely original. Not in image or sound. MJ and Madonna were trailblazers and the acts of today don't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as them.

earlier i think usher was trying to be more of an innovator(8701,confessions). as of lately it seems as if he copies

Yeh i think maybe a lil bit earlier than 8701 album he was like being himself but now hes all bout if he can top mj

Back