Update: It's available now / Joe Vogel`s Earth-song-piece comes on June 25th

Yay I got it for Kindle! 680 pages, can't wait to start. Kindle application can be downloaded for free. The kindle e-book is $5, and it's #1 in kindle autobiographies!!!

Will this be included in the book he's putting out at the end of the year? Or is this a separate piece?

Yay I got it for Kindle! 680 pages, can't wait to start. Kindle application can be downloaded for free. The kindle e-book is $5, and it's #1 in kindle autobiographies!!!

Will this be included in the book he's putting out at the end of the year? Or is this a separate piece?

earth song is a separate piece that's around 50 pages or so

claudiadoina;3417964 said:
@JoeVogel1
Joe Vogel
And the #1 music book in Germany! (Top 100 in ALL ebooks) amazon.de/Earth-Song-Mic…
5 hours ago via web

http://www.amazon.de/Earth-Song-Michael-Jacksons-ebook/dp/B0057HM6EY

kermit.gif

Thanks for posting! :)

I purchased the ebook and overall it's good. But at times I think the author is over-analyzing things. Also, there is one part of the book where he's saying that Earth Song wasn't released in the USA because of the message of the song. That's not true. THe song wasn't released as a CD single because at the time the sales of the HIStory album in the USA was slower than the rest of the world. The song was released to MTV and radio but not as a CD single in an attempt to boost the sales of the HIStory album.

I purchased the ebook and overall it's good. But at times I think the author is over-analyzing things. Also, there is one part of the book where he's saying that Earth Song wasn't released in the USA because of the message of the song. That's not true. THe song wasn't released as a CD single because at the time the sales of the HIStory album in the USA was slower than the rest of the world. The song was released to MTV and radio but not as a CD single in an attempt to boost the sales of the HIStory album.

I felt that a bit too. Still it was a good read.

Just downloaded it to my IPhone. Can't wait to get started reading.

If it wasn't for the internet, we wouldn't even know about these good books.

Ugh. Not really a fan of E-Books.. But I'll buy it for the price. Looks amazing! 50 pages on analysis on ONE SONG? :wub:

Is the full book going to be released as an actual physical item??

Is this Earth Song piece going to be a part of his book "Man in the Music: The Creative Life and Work of Michael Jackson"? This book is supposedly going to be released on Nov 1, 2011 (http://www.amazon.com/Man-Music-Creative-Michael-Jackson/dp/1402779380/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp). If so, I may just buy the hardcover at that time.

Very interesting excerpt on Earth Song though. This one passage was so incredible to me:

"[For the average person]," Jackson explained, "he sees problems 'out there' to be solved... But I don't feel that way -- those problems aren't 'out there,' really. I feel them inside me. A child crying in Ethiopia, a seagull struggling pathetically in an oil spill... a teenage soldier trembling with terror when he hears the planes fly over: Aren't these happening in me when I see and hear about them?"

Another review

"God cannot alter the past, though historians can." ~ Samuel Butler

Trying to find an article or book on Michael Jackson without the aspect of sensationalism is an exercise in futility. Throughout his life, and in particular since his untimely death in 2009, numerous "friends", co-workers, associates and family members have published their memories of Jackson. While the media continues to clamor and claw at issues such as drug abuse and vitiligo, author Joe Vogel has written a piece which tackles a perspective that is perhaps the most fundamental element of Jackson, his music and the motivation behind it.

Vogel's piece, entitled "Earth Song: Inside Michael Jackson's Magnum Opus" begins by using the imagery of medieval masterpieces such as the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Cathedral to demonstrate the opulence that surrounded Jackson in 1988. Jackson, Vogel explains, was in the middle of the Bad Tour, and when time allowed, visited what the world considers to be the magnum opuses of art; Michelangelo's sculpture of David and the Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's Cathedral at the Vatican in Rome. Vogel takes his audience by the hand, placing them squarely beside Jackson at the window of a luxurious Vienna hotel, where the megastar "could see majestically lit museums, cathedrals and opera houses." Without the benefit of photographs, Vogel immerses the reader in gilded Viennesse culture while simultaneously revealing that despite the ambience and environment of privilege that Jackson enjoyed, "he also felt a profound and responsibility to use his celebrity for more than fame and fortune..."
This solicitude, states Vogel, caused the birth of Earth Song within Jackson. In the late 1980's, the once hushed murmurs of man's responsibility to nature were no longer limited to the stoicism of environmental scientists. As evidenced by Time Magazine's annual Person of the Year cover, Vogel explains that in 1989, rather than a person, the cover was dedicated to "Endangered Earth", to emphasize the crisis of the world's natural environment. Jackson, acutely aware of the perilous condition of nature, held a "relationship with the natural world; one of intimacy, wonder and respect. It rejects the traditional Western notion that humans 'own' nature and can do with it what they please." Vogel moves the reader beyond the conventional belief that Jackson was naive and unsophisticated, to that of a man who understood the world around him, and "was deeply invested in....trying to change the world."

Vogel facilitates his audience to further understand that Jackson was heavily influenced by his childhood religion, the Jehovah's Witnesses. By late 1987, Jackson officially resigned from the faith. Vogel explains that along with the rejection of the Jehovah's Witness belief that "the purpose in life was to become a part of an elite group of righteous members that would rule the earth after it was destroyed", Jackson's artistic purpose "was now fused with a much more cosmic outlook of harmony, immediacy and interconnectedness."

With Jackson's newly found mission through his musical and artistic expression, Vogel whisks the reader from the Italian Peninsula to Neverland Ranch, in the Santa Ynez Valley of California. Vogel confirms the superstar's dedication to ecological issues, by stating that before recording began at Westlake Studios in Hollywood with Bill Botrell, "Jackson brought in a VHS of the 1985 John Boorman-directed film, The Emerald Forest, which recounts the story of a Brazilian tribe (the “Invisible People”) and rain forest under siege by corporate colonizers. It is a well-worn theme now, but at the time of its release, it was revolutionary for the ecological movement, drawing massive attention to the destruction of the Amazon. Jackson told Bottrell to watch it and internalize it to 'prepare' him to work on “Earth Song.”

Author Joe Vogel covers every facet of Jackson's seven year odyssey in the construction of Jackson's social anthem dedicated to responsibility to the natural world. From its stem based in multicultural fusion, to influences ranging from Nietzsche to John Lennon, Vogel delivers what others have failed. Vogel juxtaposes Jackson's influences next to his conscience and provides the foundation for a detailed account of how Earth Song came to fruition.
Just as Samuel Butler said, this author, Joe Vogel has altered history by spotlighting Earth Song. It's Michael's history, it's his history, it's HIStory. Vogel has set the standard so high, that anything else is an exercise in futility, or rather, an exercise in sophistry.

Posted by Michael Jackson: And Justice for Some at 6:34 PM

http://mjandjustice4some.blogspot.com/2011/06/history-told-by-joe-vogel.html

I completely forgot I had purchased this. I'm not used to reading material on my smartphone...eh I'm not that smart I guess heh. I will start it tomorrow morning and hopefully I will remember.

I completely forgot I had purchased this. I'm not used to reading material on my smartphone...eh I'm not that smart I guess heh. I will start it tomorrow morning and hopefully I will remember.

For me personally it's less about being smart - and more about reading in a tactile way. Like through physically turning pages. It feels more special somehow.

It's the same for me with music. I'm not a fan of downloading music. I generally buy everything I listen to. I love receiving the cover art and the case and an actual item, instead of just a intangible file on a computer.. :/

I bought the ebook for my iPad. I can't wait to read it! :)

Really off-topic but in your signature I can't help but look at how similar Michael looks in the left picture to the current forum banner at the top of the page!

And the press say he turned himself into a monster? Pfft... Anything for money.

I can't download the Kindle app onto my computer...it's for Intel Macs only. :girl_tantrum: :sad: I wanted to read this.

The six-and-a-half-minute piece that materialized over the next seven years was unlike anything heard before in popular music. Social anthems and protest songs had long been part of the heritage of rock. But not like this. “Earth Song” was something more epic, dramatic, and primal. Its roots were deeper; its vision more panoramic
:yes: I couldn't agree more.

Thank you for sharing!

For me personally it's less about being smart - and more about reading in a tactile way. Like through physically turning pages. It feels more special somehow.

It's the same for me with music. I'm not a fan of downloading music. I generally buy everything I listen to. I love receiving the cover art and the case and an actual item, instead of just a intangible file on a computer.. :/

I'm 47 and was a little slow to join the smartphone revolution so I forget I can read books from it if I want to. I do understand the love for real, actual books with pages to turn but then with a smartphone, e-reader or tablet there's no more lugging around heavy books. I'm too old for that too, lol.

Anyway, I started this Joe Vogel ebook and so far it's a very pleasant read. I feel I just HAVE to listen to Earth Song while I'm reading it.

Another review

Joe Vogel writes about Earth Song and why it was Michael Jackson's "magnum opus"

Before Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth, before Avatar and Wall-E, before "going green" became a catchphrase, came Michael Jackson's "Earth Song," one of the most unusual, audacious protest songs in popular music history. A massive hit globally (reaching #1 in over fifteen countries), it wasn't even released as a single in the United States.

Yet nearly sixteen years later, its admirers continue to grow. The song's desperate plea on behalf of the planet and its inhabitants (particularly the most vulnerable) remains as relevant and important as ever.

"Earth Song" mattered deeply to Jackson, who rightfully considered it one of his greatest artistic achievements. He planned for it to be the climax of his ill-fated This Is It concert series in London. It was the last song he rehearsed before he died.

The following excerpt is from a 50-page piece entitled "Earth Song: Inside Michael Jackson's Magnum Opus," which details the song's evolution from its inception in Vienna to Jackson's final live performance in Munich:

"Michael Jackson was alone in his hotel room, pacing.

He was in the midst of the second leg of his Bad World Tour, an exhausting, 123-concert spectacular that stretched over nearly two years. The tour would become the largest-grossing and most-attended concert series in history.

Just days earlier, Jackson had performed in Rome at Flaminio Stadium to an ecstatic sold-out crowd of over 30,000. In his downtime, he visited the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Cathedral at the Vatican with Quincy Jones and legendary composer, Leonard Bernstein. Later, they drove to Florence where Jackson stood beneath Michelangelo's masterful sculpture, David, gazing up in awe.

Now he was in Vienna, Austria, music capital of the Western world. It was here where Mozart's brilliant Symphony No. 25 and haunting Requiem were composed; where Beethoven studied under Haydn and played his first symphony. And it was here, at the Vienna Marriott, on June 1, 1988, that Michael Jackson's magnum opus, "Earth Song," was born.

The six-and-a-half-minute piece that materialized over the next seven years was unlike anything heard before in popular music. Social anthems and protest songs had long been part of the heritage of rock. But not like this. "Earth Song" was something more epic, dramatic, and primal. Its roots were deeper; its vision more panoramic. It was a lamentation torn from the pages of Job and Jeremiah, an apocalyptic prophecy that recalled the works of Blake, Yeats, and Eliot.

It conveyed musically what Picasso's masterful aesthetic protest, Guernica, conveyed in art. Inside its swirling scenes of destruction and suffering were voices -- crying, pleading, shouting to be heard ("What about us?").

"Earth Song" would become the most successful environmental anthem ever recorded, topping the charts in over fifteen countries and selling over five million copies. Yet critics never quite knew what to make of it. Its unusual fusion of opera, rock, gospel, and blues sounded like nothing on the radio. It defied almost every expectation of a traditional anthem. In place of nationalism, it envisioned a world without division or hierarchy. In place of religious dogma or humanism, it yearned for a broader vision of ecological balance and harmony. In place of simplistic propaganda for a cause, it was a genuine artistic expression. In place of a jingly chorus that could be plastered on a T-shirt or billboard, it offered a wordless, universal cry.

Jackson remembered the exact moment the melody came.

It was his second night in Vienna. Outside his hotel, beyond Ring Strasse Boulevard and the sprawling Stadtpark, he could see the majestically lit museums, cathedrals, and opera houses. It was a world of culture and privilege far removed from his boyhood home in Gary, Indiana. Jackson was staying in spacious conjoining suites lined with large windows and a breathtaking view. Yet for all the surrounding opulence, mentally and emotionally he was somewhere else.

It wasn't mere loneliness (though he definitely felt that). It was something deeper -- an overwhelming despair about the condition of the world.

Perhaps the most common trait associated with celebrity is narcissism. In 1988, Jackson certainly would have had reason to be self-absorbed. He was the most famous person on the planet. Everywhere he traveled, he created mass hysteria. The day after his sold-out concert at Prater Stadium in Vienna, an AP article ran, "130 Fans Faint at Jackson Concert." If the Beatles were more popular than Jesus, as John Lennon once claimed, Jackson had the entire Holy Trinity beat.

While Jackson enjoyed the attention in certain ways, he also felt a profound responsibility to use his celebrity for more than fame and fortune (in 2000, The Guinness Book of World Records cited him as the most philanthropic pop star in history). "When you have seen the things I have seen and traveled all over the world, you would not be honest to yourself and the world to [look away]," Jackson explained.

At nearly every stop on his Bad World Tour, he would visit orphanages and hospitals. Just days earlier, while in Rome, he stopped by the Bambin Gesu Children's Hospital, handing out gifts, taking pictures, and signing autographs. Before leaving, he pledged a donation of over $100,000 dollars.

While performing or helping children, he felt strong and happy, but when he returned to his hotel room, a combination of anxiety, sadness, and desperation sometimes seized him.

Jackson had always been sensitive to suffering and injustice. But in recent years, his feeling of moral responsibility grew. The stereotype of his naiveté ignored his natural curiosity and sponge-like mind. While he wasn't a policy wonk (Jackson unquestionably preferred the realm of art to politics), he also wasn't oblivious to the world around him. He read widely, watched films, talked to experts, and studied issues passionately. He was deeply invested in trying to understand and change the world.

In 1988, he certainly had reason for concern. The news read like chapters from ancient scripture: there were heat waves and droughts, massive wildfires and earthquakes, genocide and famine. Violence escalated in the Holy Land as forests were ravaged in the Amazon and garbage, oil and sewage swept up on shores. In place of Time's Person of the Year, 1988's cover story was dedicated to the "endangered earth." It suddenly occurred to many that we were literally destroying our own home.

Most people read or watch the news casually, passively. They become numb to the horrifying images and stories projected on the screen. Yet such stories frequently moved Jackson to tears. He internalized them and felt physical pain. When people told him to simply enjoy his own good fortune, he got angry. He believed completely in John Donne's philosophy that "no man is an island." For Jackson, the idea extended to all life. The whole planet was connected and intrinsically valuable.

"[For the average person]," he explained, "he sees problems 'out there' to be solved... But I don't feel that way -- those problems aren't 'out there,' really. I feel them inside me. A child crying in Ethiopia, a seagull struggling pathetically in an oil spill... a teenage soldier trembling with terror when he hears the planes fly over: Aren't these happening in me when I see and hear about them?"

Once, during a dance rehearsal, he had to stop because an image of a dolphin trapped in a net made him so emotionally distraught. "From the way its body was tangled in the lines," he explained, "you could read so much agony. Its eyes were vacant, yet there was still that smile, the ones dolphins never lose... So there I was, in the middle of rehearsal, and I thought, 'They're killing a dance.'"

When Jackson performed, he could feel these turbulent emotions surging through him. With his dancing and singing, he tried to transfuse the suffering, give it expression, meaning, and strength. It was liberating. For a brief moment, he could take his audience to an alternative world of harmony and ecstasy. But inevitably, he was thrown back into the "real world" of fear and alienation.

So much of this pain and despair circulated inside Jackson as he stood in his hotel room, brooding.

Then suddenly it "dropped in [his] lap": Earth's song. A song from her perspective, her voice. A lamentation and a plea.

The chorus came to him first -- a wordless cry. He grabbed his tape player and pressed record. Aaaaaaaaah Oooooooooh.

The chords were simple, but powerful: A-flat minor to C-sharp triad; A-flat minor seventh to C-sharp triad; then modulating up, B-flat minor to E-flat triad. That's it! Jackson thought. He then worked out the introduction and some of the verses. He imagined its scope in his head. This, he determined, would be the greatest song he'd ever composed..."

Joe Vogel is the author of three books, including "Man in the Music: The Creative Life and Work of Michael Jackson" (Sterling, 2011). Joe has been interviewed by numerous media outlets, including NPR, Democracy Now!, and The Chronicle of Higher Education. He was writes about popular music and culture for The Huffington Post and PopMatters. He currently resides in Western New York where he is a doctoral candidate and instructor at the University of Rochester.

The full version of "Earth Song: Inside Michael Jackson's Magnum Opus" can be downloaded at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and the iBookstore. For more information, visit www.joevogel.net/earthsong.

Source

This e-book is really worth the purchase, IMO. Learned quite a bit about MJ's creative process, and the song itself, that I never knew before. Joe Vogel interviewed practically everyone ever involved with MJ's work, so it covers a lot of ground! =)

Read more at ONTD: http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/60520272.html#ixzz1QfL4BYee

http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/60520272.html

So if someone doesn't have a credit card in order to download it, can't read it right?

I have read around 60pages so far, it's so informative, I am really enjoy it. made me appreciated Michael's art even more if possible. God, what the world lost:(

Do you know if there's any place where I can buy it by using paypal? I don't have a credit card.

I know I'm late to this... but how can I get this on my android phone? I searched for a kindle app and found nothing.

Thank you!

EDIT: Kindle for Andriod is incompatible with your device. You cannot purchase this app from this device. :(

Last edited:
The kindle app for android is on the android market and the amazon app store.

NOW AVAILABLE AS A PHYSICAL BOOK!

JoeVogel1 Joe Vogel
Many of you have asked about a physical book of Earth Song: Inside Michael Jackson's Magnum Opus. Well...
5 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

JoeVogel1 Joe Vogel
I'm excited to let you know that a completely updated and revised edition is now available in physical form! http://www.joevogel.net/earth-song
3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Song-Inside-Michael-Jacksons/dp/0981650694

EarthSong_front-662x1024.jpg

http://www.joevogel.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/EarthSong_front.jpg

Back