Unreleased Jackson 5 Tracks Discovered For New Collection

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member
Motown/UMe is celebrating the 40th anniversary of the Jackson 5's first single with "I Want You Back! Unreleased Masters," a new collection of 12 vault recordings due out on Nov. 10. A single, "That's How Love Is," is being released today (Oct. 6) on iTunes; the song was written and produced by The Corporation, the team of writers and producers that wrote the J5's early material, and has been remixed by original Motown engineer Russ Terrana.

"That's How Love Is" is also streaming at www.jackson5.com.

jacksonsx.jpg

"I Want You Back!" also features: a rendition of Stevie Wonder's "Buttercup;" a medley of "I Want You Back"/"ABC"/"The Love You Save;" alternate versions of "Never Can Say Goodbye," with Michael Jackson's "safety" vocal for TV broadcasts, "ABC" and "Dancing Machine;" another unreleased Corporation track, "Love Comes in Different Flavors;" the Curtis Mayfield-written "Man's Temptation," which was produced by the Vancouvers' Bobby Taylor -- who also wrote and produced "Listen I'll Tell You How;" Hal Davis' "Lucky Day;" the Willie Hutch-written "Love Call;" and Johnny Bristol's socially conscious "I'll Try You'll Try (Maybe We'll All Get By)."

Tito Jackson tells Billboard.com that the J5's days at Motown were busy, but enjoyable. "It was just fun years," he says. "We were young kids then, pursuing our dream. And to have a company like Motown behind you to nurture you and grow you to your professionalism, it was quite an honor. And to have success at a young age when you were not really realizing what you were accomplishing...it was really fun. Everything was exciting."

In addition to "I Want You Back!," Motown/UMe is releasing on Oct. 13 "The Jackson 5 Ultimate Christmas Collection," a 21-track set that includes spoken seasons greetings from the Michael, Jermaine, Tito and Jackie, "stripped" mixes of "Someday at Christmas" and "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," a DJ Spinna re-edit of "Up on the Housetop" and an album-closing medley. The J5 also appears on "The Ultimate Motown Christmas Collection," a two-disc, 51-track anthology featuring holiday fare from Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, Marvin Gaye, the Supremes, the Four Tops, the Temptations, Johnny Gill and more obscure acts such as the Elgins, Shorty Long and the Twistin' Kings.

The track listing for "I Want You Back! Unreleased Masters" includes:

"Man's Temptation
"Buttercup
"Never Can Say Goodbye
"That's How Love Is
"Love Comes in Flavors
"Lucky Day
Medley: "I Want You Back/ABC/The Love You Save"
"ABC"
"I'll Try You'll Try (Maybe We'll All Get By)"
"Listen I'll Tell You How"
"Love Call"
"Dancing Machine"

http://www.billboard.com/news/unrel...kson-5-tracks-discovered-for-1004018845.story
http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2009-10-05-jackson-5-song_N.htm

LISTEN: You Tube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPqtOgkxvb8
An unreleased track from the Jackson 5. Doesn't the melody in this song sound exactly like the beginning of "I Want You Back"? Listen closely.

Last edited:
you should mention that never can say goodbye, abc and dancing machine are alternate versions

Hidden-in-the-Vault Jackson 5 Recordings Debut on I Want You Back! Unreleased Masters

Stunning Vocals By A Young Michael Jackson Heard For The First Time On Single-CD Set Celebrating J5 40th Anniversary

LOS ANGELES, Oct. 6 /PRNewswire/ -- There had never been an act like the Jackson 5 before and there will never be another one like it again. Now, on the 40th anniversary of the group's landmark Motown debut - their smash hit "I Want You Back" b/w "Who's Lovin' You" was issued Oct. 7, 1969 - the Jackson 5 is heard like never before.

I Want You Back! Unreleased Masters (Motown/UMe), issued Nov. 10, 2009, brings to the public for the first time 12 unreleased recordings that include unique alternate versions of well-known hits as well as near classics and should-have-been-hits by one of the most popular groups of all time.

Preceding the release is the eSingle, "That's How Love Is," releasing exclusively on iTunes on October 6, the eve of the 40th anniversary. It's produced by The Corporation(TM) and mixed exclusively for this release by original Motown engineer Russ Terrana. "That's How Love Is," can be heard on www.jackson5.com.

I Want You Back! Unreleased Masters also features Stevie Wonder's "Buttercup," a highly anticipated collaboration announced in 1974 but never released. There are two different studio performances of hits - one, a medley of "I Want You Back/ABC/The Love You Save," the other an alternate version of "Never Can Say Goodbye" - recorded for TV appearances with Michael's lead laid down for "safety" (he would sing live on the shows) but never heard until now. Other hit alternates: an extended alternate version of the No. 1 hit "Dancing Machine" and the original vocal version of "ABC."

We get to hear, too, amazing unreleased tracks written and produced by the J5's regular producers: The Corporation(TM) ("I Want You Back," "ABC," et al), with two "new" songs, the afore-mentioned, cute and lively "That's How Love Is" and "Love Comes In Different Flavors"; and Hal Davis ("I'll Be There" and many more), represented by the beautiful "Lucky Day," with one of MJ's loveliest vocals.

The J5 recorded prolifically throughout their Motown tenure, especially their first year under the tutelage of Bobby Taylor, who first brought them to Motown and produced two-thirds of their debut album. On this collection we'll hear two soulful, nearly forgotten tracks: "Man's Temptation," a ballad written by Curtis Mayfield - originally performed by Gene Chandler and later covered by Isaac Hayes - featuring Jackie, Jermaine and Michael, whose passionate vocals make the track this new album's "Who's Loving You"; and the funky "Listen I'll Tell You How," a Taylor original.

That's not all. Willie Hutch, co-writer of "I'll Be There," delivered "Love Call," a fast-paced smash that was somehow overlooked back in '71. Johnny Bristol, best known for his work with Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell, Jr. Walker and the Supremes, co-wrote and produced "I'll Try You'll Try (Maybe We'll All Get By)," a super funky, socially conscious jam.

I Want You Back!, at 12 tracks, mirrors an original Motown album lineup. On this brand new album not only is the music previously unheard, most of the photos in the package are previously unseen. Another bonus for longtime J5 fans: In addition to "That's How Love Is," Russ Terrana mixed two more tracks for this collection.

"The Motown vault is a vast treasure trove, and careful research begun in anticipation of the Jackson 5's 40th anniversary revealed they had recorded dozens of fantastic songs that simply could not have all been released at the time," says Bruce Resnikoff, President/CEO, Universal Music Enterprises. "We are amazed by the quality, and we know the many Michael Jackson fans all over the world will be too. We're thrilled to have the opportunity to bring these exciting recordings to the public in such a special package."

I Want You Back! Unreleased Masters is the J5 rediscovered. Now fans can rediscover the brothers who 40 years ago took the musical world by storm - Jackie, Jermaine, Tito, Marlon and Michael.

The celebration of Motown 50 continues around the globe with events, special programming, exhibits, etc. An irresistible force of social and cultural change, Berry Gordy's legendary Motown Records made its mark not just on the music industry but society at large, with a sound that has become one of the most significant musical accomplishments and stunning success stories of the 20th century. No other record company in history has exerted such an enormous influence on both the style and substance of popular music and culture. That influence is still being felt today, from pop to hip-hop, as Motown celebrates the 50th anniversary of the company's founding. Today, Motown is part of the Universal Music Group, with its classic recorded music catalog managed by Universal Music Enterprises (UMe).

* The single, "That's What Love Is," available now EXCLUSIVELY at iTunes. This is the only track available until the album release. Album available in stores and online November 10, 2009. http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=333355452&s=143441

* Pre-order the album at:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002PQ1PDI?tag=ilovethatsong-20

Barnes & Noble
http://music.barnesandnoble.com/I-W...d-Masters/The-Jackson-5/e/602527222707/?itm=1

Borders
http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sku=602527222707

* Listen for free to the complete version of the Jackson 5 single, "That's What Love Is" on www.jackson5.com

classic.motown.com

SOURCE Universal Music Enterprises

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/hidden-in-the-vault-jackson-5-recordings-debut-on-i-want-you-back-unreleased-masters-63592167.html

^

Looks Amazing...

I'll be putting that up for my list of things to get for Christmas... heh heh... :)

Jumping like hot bean on a sunday morning!! :)) I'm so excited!!! This song is so good!!! I can't wait till November!!! I love J5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

okaaaay on second inspection I see about 100 of my posts have disappeared, my thread has been deleted for no reason and my avatar and signature have reverted back to ones I was using a few days ago :scratch:

There had never been an act like the Jackson 5 before and there will never be another one like it again.

I cant believe that somebody wrote that!!!
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

I already posted this last night.
The site had some problems with passwords yesterday and a lot of posts got lost. I don't suppose Motown is ever going to release the solo material from Jackie & Tito. But this release is a good thing, but they could have put some other unreleased song on it instead of the medley.

I love how all these tracks were hidden for twenty years but pop out all of a sudden 3 months after his death.

Hey Motown, release some DVD :p

PLEASE! *hint: Live in japan 1973*

I love how all these tracks were hidden for twentyyears but pop out all of a sudden 3 months after his death.

Hey Motown, release some DVD :p

PLEASE! *hint: Live in japan 1973*
More like 30 years. But Motown has thousands of unreleased tracks by all of its 1960-74 acts. Berry Gordy was notorious about having performers constantly recording stuff and not releasing it (or having many acts recording the same songs), but charging the acts for session/studio fees.

I`ll buy that J5 CD for sure!!!

And I´ll skip the This is it CD.

Motown deserves with this release my money Sony not!!

The site had some problems with passwords yesterday and a lot of posts got lost. I don't suppose Motown is ever going to release the solo material from Jackie & Tito. But this release is a good thing, but they could have put some other unreleased song on it instead of the medley.

yeah I remember seeing you post that :lol:

Please let´s all download That's How Love Is on itunes to make this song a hit.

we can do it!!!!

Back