UK TV ALERT The Culture Show, MICHAEL JACKSON SPEACIAL on BBC 2 NOW!

They cut out quite a few bits...why oh why..they cut out my favourite bit of Working Day and Night.. the batten solo with mj getting all excited and then doing the tip toe thing..!:D

The Culture Show was brilliant. One of the best MJ documentaries I've seen. I really enjoyed how they talked about his music.

I missed the first four minutes, but that was really a great documentary! :) Even used Debussy. Must be made by a fan :heart: It was nice watching Bucharest, too. That was a slightly different version than the official DVD ... a BBC weird-azz edited version. Yeah, they cut endings of songs and stuff. But at least it was good quality, lol. I think I have about 4 versions of this one show now. Awwwwwwww, Michael. You never cease to melt my heart. I miss you...

^^ Me too. Judith Hill was way better. You know how they were meant to have cut 30minutes from Bucharest - Have they cut out any songs?
I agree. Judith Hill was great. Siedah... well... As long as MJ was there I barely noticed anyone else anyway.

The Culture Show was brilliant. One of the best MJ documentaries I've seen. I really enjoyed how they talked about his music.

Oh my.... I have no cable TV, I live in the other corner of the world.... this sounds great. Do you know if there is any single, little chance to have this on line? Somewhere?

:(

Fantastic exposure for Michael and a great tribute. The culture is probably the most respected arts show in the UK, nothing tabloid or trashy here.

shocked something positive. i was at work last night. recorded the bucharest concert to watch in 10 years maybe.didint bother withthe culture show as i came through the door at around 11.30 i caught a glimpse of motown 25 segement as my mum had been watching it. i had to walk straight back out, cant bare to see footage of him.be nice if it gets shown again at a decent hour

I admit that I missed quite a bit of this doc and only saw the last 15mins (from the Motown 25 performance), but I really wasn't as impressed as everyone else seems to be... Bad and Dangerous got fleeting mentions in the last five mins and the last 16 years of MJ's life were washed over with one horrible phrase: "a slow career death". No mention of HIStory, BotDF, Invincible, MSG, TII - the first half of this show must have been fantastic for everyone to think so highly of it.

The documentary was good. Only thing I hated was Taborelli bringing the element of tabloid into it. Yuck! And claiming to be a friend. LOL!

And glad one of them commented about how racism played a factor. It's a point that is always ignored.

it nearly got ruined towards the end, but im glad they didnt dwell on it, and ended on a positive note. For an MJ doc, and we all now what they are usually like, this was a very positive line and it was good to hear all the stuff about billie jean and mike pretending to call thriller off, more evidence of how Michael made thriller and not quincy and its good that was broadcast on TV

I really hope someone recorded it and will upload online. After all your positive reviews I want to watch it as well!!

but I really wasn't as impressed as everyone else seems to be... Bad and Dangerous got fleeting mentions in the last five mins and the last 16 years of MJ's life were washed over with one horrible phrase: "a slow career death".
fools. they wish the likes of timberlake could have a career death like mj. tbh i dont watch docus on mj. only one i watched i think was the 40th b.day one the bbc did. its not like they can tell us anything we dont know and will prob get along of things wrong and include talking heads who have no other job. as was said in the 40th b.day doc mjs career/life story will depend on whos telling the story. interms of what ppl remember him for. the media have spent many years saying mj did nothing after bad. its all about discrediting him always has been

This programme was pretty good. But then towards the end as ManInTheMonitor says they stopped at Dangerous. One of the speakers also made the comment that Michael made himself white & included his children in the comment. For a programme that was meant to focus on the postive & the facts they dropped the ball there. Also, someone made the point on the programme I think it was Tarraborelli & someone else that Michael wasn't good at analysing his work & conveying the ideas etc in his music in interviews. But there weren't really many if any attempts by music journalists asking him questions about his music in the first place. The focus was always on his personal life. Apart from those things it was quite impressive & surprising; 8.5 out of 10 to me.

I haven't watched The Culture Show - Michael Jackson Special yet. It does seem like a positive documentary, but I'm sure there will be a couple of things I don't agree with. I have done a fast forward in the recording of it, and it does look quite badly made with many clips of Michael Jackson that I have seen on too many documentaries. It doesn't look like a documentary that captures the magic and power of Michael Jackson's genius. But I will see when I watch it.

I thought the version of Dangerous Tour - Live In Bucharest was the worst edit of that concert I've ever seen. I don't know why BBC couldn't have shown the full 2hr 5min original 1992 version. I'm not a fan of the Bucharest concert because it's not a good representation on Michael Jackson or the Dangerous Tour. I'm glad I was 20yrs old and old enough be able to record it when it was originally transmitted on BBC ONE in 1992, because the original broadcast shows a far more fluid performance overall despite Michael being ill during that performance.

I wasn't impressed with the Top Of The Pops 2 - Michael Jackson Tribute. Just a his music video, and not even shown full screen. The only archive footage they showed was Michael singing Rockin Robin with the Jackson 5 from 1972. That so called archive footage has been shown many times since I first saw it in 1987. I don't know why performances like even Rockin Robin and the Jackson 5 Medley from the Royal Variety performance from 1972 is never show. Dreamer a video (I think it was a performance from a Spanish or Italian show) was shown on TOTP around 1976-77, and why not show Show You The Way To Go from TOTP in 1977, or even better Michael's last ever appearance on TOTP singing Destiny with The Jacksons from 1979, which is my favorite Michael Jackson TOTP performance.

I'm pleased BBC dedicated a night to Michael Jackson, but I think it was rushed together and not well conceived, it could have been a lot better considering BBC has some great archive news clips of Michael that I recorded in the 1980's especially from when Michael was in the UK for the Bad Tour.

I caught most of the Culture Show. Enjoyable, but unsurprisingly, too much focus on all up to Thriller and not much else afterwards. I liked hearing the musicians talk about Michael and disecting his music and appreciating his art, but there was still so much after Thriller that Michael created that was truly groundbreaking. These programmes cant help themselves, everything post Thriller becomes embroiled in "whiteness"/surgery/child abuse/lack of creativity etc etc. How much better it could've been to have Teddy talk about making Dangerous. Or any acknowledgement at all of HIStory would've been nice.

As for the Dangerous concert, that version was soooo annoying. Too much panning back to the crowds/fainting/screaming girls. I really dislike that. Most of Jam is spent focusing on crowd reaction frustratingly. I agree that the BBC version aired at back in 1992 is much better. Overall I have great memories of watching that concert, didnt ever hear that Michael was ill though...he certainly doesnt appear to be.

so which version of the concert was aired. i walked in the house from work at 11.30 pm and saw that motown 25 was on. at 11.30! so 15 mins for the rest of his career?

Pretty much elusive, someone else mentioned the really horrible comment that was made about the rest of his career being a "slow 16 year career death". WTF, whatever. Thats blatant lies imo. It showed some montage footage of Bad/Dangerous etc, then to the events of the summer which I couldnt bring myself to watch. Then to Gary Indiana from Michaels birthday this year. One nice moment was the couple who were Michaels neighbours from Gary, and they recalled how Michael still remembered them on his visits back to Gary, very brief part though.

Im not sure how many versions of Dangerous Bucharest exist, but it wasnt the one I recorded on VHS back in 92, probably a mixture of a couple of shows.

Then to Gary Indiana from Michaels birthday this year.
yeah i saw a tiny bit of that as i was turning the video on to record the concert. so typical that they ignore everything pretty much after bad. talk about trying to rewrite history.

And have to say it's the finest documentary on Michael Jackson's music. The analyses and insights given are brilliant. Focusing on his black roots in music.

Brilliant.

I missed it...is it going to be repeated?

It's a possibility, but BBC TWO rarely repeat documentaries. When they do it's normally months or a years later. If anything it may appear on BBC FOUR sometime next year.

I watched The Culture Show - Michael Jackson Special last night. It was better than I thought it would be (even though I knew it wasn't going to be negative), but I don't think it really captured the magic and energy of Michael.

I did like the way this documentary focused on Michael's black roots in music, and interviewed a cousin and some people in Gary, Indiana who knew Michael as a child before he was famous. And listening to two of the songwriters from The Corporation who write some of the Jackson 5's biggest and most iconic hits. I thought all the people interviewed has something interesting and intelligent to say, and really knew Michael's music. I liked the drummer who spoke about Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground) and how innovative the song is, and how he can't believe that song doesn't get more credit. Because I think Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground) is the best dance/disco/funk (what every genre you think) ever written and one of Michael's best songs. Maybe if it was a solo song, and not a Jacksons one it get more credit. It's my favorite Jacksons song anyway. I also liked how this man, spoke about the Michael having a reason for turning to to a Black Panther, ie 'Black Pride/indentity' for the Black Or White video. I don't know if that's why Michael chose to morph in to a Black Panther, but his view does make sense.

I like the step by step analysis of Michael's Billie Jean Motown 25 Performance, but I thought there was no need to do it for the whole song for a 1hr documentary. I loved it when the film maker man, said that Paul McCartney was just a cameo in the Michael Jackson story, which he thought was amazing for a black man. And that Michael was a black man from the future, in how he viewed everything as his for the taking etc. This man said many things I agreed with.

I didn't like the BBC voice over. The sound of the man's voice was irritating, and I hated the part when he said Michael's career was in a slow 16yr decline from the Dangerous era. Careers don't decline in 16yrs, and the fact it Michael's public persona was in decline from the Dangerous era because if the tabloids looking for something dark, even before the false 1993 child abuse allegations. But Michael still had amazing albums sales and hit singles and sellout tours worldwide in stadiums, even after 1993. Michael just had a career decline in the USA, and even there HIStory and Invincible reached No.1 in the Billboard charts. Michael's career just became inactive in the 2000's because of legal issues he was facing, and that's not a good reason or excuse to say it was in decline when it was inactive, which is a big difference. The fact Michael sold out 50 concerts at the O2 Arena, when the media had the public believe Michael no longer had any fans, showed Michael's career was never in decline.

I loved the clip of Michael being interviewed on Soul Train (video still below) talking about writing and producing the Destiny album. Does anyone have the full interview ?

TheCultureShow-MichaelJacksonSpecia.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't want to start a new thread but Diversity just did another MJ tribute on the Top of The Pops Christmas show and they used Heartbreaker! Made me smile so much :)

Oh and yesterday, the celebrity shock list on Five obviously included Mike (I didn’t want to watch it) but I was walking past one of our rooms with it on the TV and there seemed to be interviews with dancers and musicians who worked on the show. But then some E! guy was talking crap so I quickly walked away… I think I’ll try and catch a repeat to see what the TII people said.

I didn't want to start a new thread but Diversity just did another MJ tribute on the Top of The Pops Christmas show and they used Heartbreaker! Made me smile so much :)

Oh and yesterday, the celebrity shock list on Five obviously included Mike (I didn’t want to watch it) but I was walking past one of our rooms with it on the TV and there seemed to be interviews with dancers and musicians who worked on the show. But then some E! guy was talking crap so I quickly walked away… I think I’ll try and catch a repeat to see what the TII people said.

yes! i saw them use heartbreaker too, also made me smile! :)

And have to say it's the finest documentary on Michael Jackson's music. The analyses and insights given are brilliant. Focusing on his black roots in music.

Brilliant.

I haven't seen it all, but so far, I love it too. Thank you very much for uploading this one and share it!!
abrazo.gif

I think there is always room for improvement, but in a time when most of any single thing about MJ relates to dark stories, I am glad to have at least one changing the focus. Yes, sure, no question MJ is much more than Thriller, but I believe there is still much we could learn about that record and, by doing so, about MJ music.

Let's enjoy it!! I agree with you it's sad we don't have more and better works about MJ legacy, but if we are to focus most of the time on the dark side of things... I am afraid we have a very dark future as MJ fans. These are hard days... I choose enjoying every bit of good stuff, despite that not being perfect or as good as I wanted to.

:)

There was another BBC2 documentary, cant remember when but it had one of the girls from Floetry speaking about Invincible and Butterflies and as I recall I found this particular doc to be the best one on Michael as a musician/artist without all the scandal.Was it around the time of the Sony campaign? Anyone remember?

Back