Tuesday 05th Aug News and Mentionings - Martin Bashir has serious errors in judgement, says ABC.

mariemarie

Guests
News

Jackson 5 To Reunite Next Month?

The Jackson 5 could reunite at an awards ceremony next month according to reports. The BMI is set to honour the legendary band of brothers as BMI Icons at the upcoming Urban Awards in Beverly Hills.

So far all the of the brothers except for Michael Jackson have confirmed their attendance at the ceremony and an all star tribute is being planned.
Previous recipients of the Icons award include ames Brown, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, The Bee Gees, Willie Nelson and Carlos Santana.

http://www.taletela.com/news/197/jackson-5-to-reunite-next-month

More on this story here http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54164

A little reminder:

Michael Jackson to release fans-voted best-of

Michael Jackson will release another best-of collection on August 25 via Sony BMG, the difference this time being that the songs on the compilation will be selected by a fan vote.
The album - titled King Of Pop (fair enough) - will feature 18 songs from a shortlist of 50.

Fans can vote here and here.

Voting closes on August 10. The 50 tracks available for voting are:

'Billie Jean'
'Smooth Criminal'
'I Just Can't Stop Loving You'
'In The Closet'
'Black Or White'
'Will You Be There'
'Earth Song'
'Thriller'
'You Are Not Alone'
'Who Is It'
'Blood On The Dance Floor'
'P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)'
'Leave Me Alone'
'Liberian Girl'
'Heal The World'
'Jam'
'Give In To Me'
'Another Part Of Me'
'You Rock My World'
'Man In The Mirror'
'Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough'
'Cry'
'She's Out Of My Life'
'Gone Too Soon'
'Beat It'
'Workin' Day And Night'
'Bad'
'Human Nature'
'The Way You Make Me Feel'
'The Lady In My Life'
'Scream'
'For All Time'
'Dirty Diana'
'Remember The Time'
'They Don't Care About Us'
'Childhood (Free Willy 2)'
'Stranger In Moscow'
'Ghost'
'History'
'Is It Scary'
'One More Chance'
'Break Of Dawn'
'Rock With You'
'Butterflies'
'Off The Wall'
'Speechless'
'Wanna Be Startin' Somethin''
'We Are Here To Change The World'
'The Girl Is Mine'
'Say Say Say'

http://www.drownedinsound.com/articles/3784862

Mentionings

Martin Bashir forced to give humiliating apology after 'stupid, tasteless' Asian babes gag

Had he made the gags in a working man's club, Martin Bashir might have got away with it. But in front of an audience of politically correct American journalists, Bashir, the broadcaster famous for his interviews with Princess Diana and Michael Jackson, never stood a chance. Now Bashir has been forced into a humiliating apology over astonishing, sexist comments made during an afterdinner speech to the Asian American Journalists Association. Surveying the guests at the annual banquet in Chicago, Bashir declared: "I'm happy to be in the midst of so many Asian babes. In fact, I'm happy that the podium covers me from the waist down."

He didn't stop there. The London-born presenter, who moved to the US four years ago to add a fortune to his fame, even managed to upset his network copresenter Juju Chang, who was sharing the stage. Bashir noted that a speech should be "like a dress on a beautiful woman - long enough to cover the important parts and short enough to keep your interest - like my colleague Juju's."
Chang responded: "See what I have to put up with?" Bashir, 45, has now written to the journalists' association apologising for his "tasteless remark" and "moment of stupidity". In the letter, which has been made public in the US, Bashir said: "I wanted to write and apologise for an inappropriate comment that I made at the dinner last Friday and for the offence that it caused to those present. Upon reflection, it was a tasteless remark that I now bitterly regret. "I am grateful to you for the opportunity to address those present and hope that the continuing work of the organisation will not be harmed or undermined by my moment of stupidity."

The speech, made a week ago, led to a dressing-down from his network boss at ABC. The channel's spokesman Jeffrey Schneider said: "This kind of remark has no place in any setting and Martin knows that and is truly sorry for his serious error in judgment."
Bashir rose to fame after his 1995 Panorama interview with Princess Diana in which she exposed her husband's adultery with Camilla Parker Bowles. Bashir asked the princess: "Do you think Mrs Parker Bowles was a factor in the breakdown of your marriage?" to which Diana famously responded: "Well, there were three of us in this marriage."

He went on to make a documentary in 2003 shadowing Michael Jackson. This culminated in the pop star standing trial accused of molesting one of the boys featured in the programme. Jackson was later acquitted and later filmed his own rebuttal interview of what he perceived as Bashir's underhand tactics.
In 2004, Bashir started work as a correspondent for ABC's news magazine programme 20/20. But his status in the US was cemented a year later when he was named co-anchor on Nightline, the equivalent of BBC's Newsnight.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1041703/Martin-Bashir-forced-humiliating-apology-stupid-tasteless-Asian-babes-gag.html

From Beatles to Michael to Mariah, 50 Years of Counting Down the Hits

Los Angeles (E! Online) - The Hot 100 just turned the big 5-0.

The seminal singles chart turned a half-century-old today, having made its Billboard magazine debut on Aug. 4, 1958. Ricky Nelson's "Poor Little Fool" topped the inaugural Hot 100 chart, which covered the week ended Aug. 9, and nearly a 1,000 songs have graced its perch since.
In celebration of its silver anniversary, here's our own hit list of Hot 100 highlights:
• Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men's 1995 single "One Sweet Day" holds the record for the most weeks at No. 1 with 16.

1987's Bad landed five No. 1 singles to give Michael Jackson the most chart-toppers ever from a single album.In '95, Jackson's "You Are Not Alone" became the first song ever to debut at No. 1. Unfortunately, it's also his last song to reach No. 1. • In '64, the Beatles became the first band to replace itself at No. 1 when "She Loves You" topped "I Want to Hold Your Hand," their very first U.S. chart-topper. "Can't Buy Me Love" then hit No. 1 to make the Beatles the only group to string together three consecutive chart-toppers. • The Fab Four also became the only group to occupy the top five spots at once. Starting at No. 1, the five songs were "Can't Buy Me Love," "Twist and Shout," "She Loves You," "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and "Please Please Me." A week later, the Beatles set another record with 14 songs on the Hot 100.

• Taylor Hicks' "Do I Make You Proud" claims the dubious distinction of being the only No. 1 song to spend less than 10 total weeks on the Hot 100. The 2006 song debuted at No. 1, a feat accomplished by fellow American Idol stars Carrie Underwood, Fantasia and Clay Aiken and by no one else in nearly a decade. • Billy Preston's "Nothing From Nothing" and Dionne Warwick's "Then Came You" share the record for the biggest falls from No. 1 with 14-spot drops. Remarkably, these drops happened in consecutive weeks in late '74. • "Go Away Little Girl" is the first song to repeat at No. 1 by a different artist—Steve Lawrence did it in '63 and Donny Osmond in '71. • At 33 years and 7 months, Cher holds the record for the longest span between No. 1s with 1965's "I Got You Babe" and 1999's "Believe." She had seven other No. 1s in-between. • Otis Redding claims the first posthumous No. 1 with 1968's "(Sittin' on) the Dock of the Bay." Redding had passed away in December 1967. Thirty years later, Notorious B.I.G. became the first artist to score consecutive posthumous No. 1s with "Hypnotize" and "Mo Money Mo Problems." • Domenico Modugno's "Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu (Volare)" was the first non-English-language No. 1 back in '58. Los del Rio's "Macarena" was the most recent in '96. • Maroon 5's "Make Me Wonder" went from No. 64 to No. 1 in '07 to set the record for the biggest jump ever to the top of the chart. • In the summer of 2000, Aaliyah's "Try Again" became the first song to top the Hot 100 purely on radio play. • At nearly nine minutes long, Guns N' Roses' "November Rain" is the longest song ever to crack the Top 40. In the 15 years before the birth of the Hot 100, songs were tracked on three different charts divided by store sales, radio spins and jukebox play.
By early 1958, the jukebox chart had been discontinued, and the new countdown, titled the Top 100, was the first to combine sales and spins. By August of that year, the Top 100 was rechristened the Hot 100, and it has remained the industry standard ever since.
For you history buffs, the Hot 100 debuted at a time when Eisenhower was president, there were only 48 U.S. states and gas set you back 25 cents a gallon.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/20080804/en_music_eo/22011

A guarantee of something for all

On the music side, wandering minstrel Nibs van der Spuy will offer a concert of his gentle acoustic guitar style. The guitarist will also be running a music workshop.

In Robbin' The Bublé, singer/-pianist Rory McLaren pays tribute to Robbie Williams and Michael Bublé. In Taking Them Off, the Centrestage band frontman sings the songs of Elton John, Michael Jackson, Ricky Martin, Chris De Burgh, George Michael, Freddie Mercury and Elvis.

The festival will also offer creative art and dance workshops, flute-making and bread making (fabulous French brioches and other breads), plus a strong focus on classical music with an eclectic mix of a dozen concerts featuring special guests and soloists.

http://www.tonight.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=4543374&fSectionId=398&fSetId=251

Family loses one son, gains another

THE SMITH FAMILY of Danesbury, Black Rock, St Michael, has something to cry about, and something to rejoice about.
Last Saturday, one of the younger members of the family, 15-year-old Kenny Alexander Smith, drowned at Pile Bay, St Michael. That same day his sister Kerry Smith gave birth to a baby boy at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital.
The police said Kenny Smith, a St Lucy Secondary School student, took a fatal dive at Pile Bay between 11 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. Two friends, worried about how long he was underwater, went to investigate, but did not immediately find the teenager, according to the police.
The boy's mother Felicia Smith said yesterday: "It happened so easy, like something that was supposed to happen.
"I remember something someone told me some years ago after an open-air service on the pasture. He said to keep a close eye on Kenny and that I was going to lose him at an early age . . . . "It was a Bajan who came back from overseas. He just picked Kenny out of the crowd."
Family members described the teenager as a strong swimmer, who sometimes took a swim out to the boats berthed in the area.
The sea was calm and the area where he took the dive was about waist-deep, they told the DAILY NATION.
"He would have been going into fourth form," his mother said. "He liked music, he liked singing. Michael Jackson was one of his favourites. "He also liked to cook. He would cook a 1-2-3 (English potatoes, macaroni and corned beef) or rice and the first body to get a share would be me." Kenny Smith was one of eight children. Now there is a new boy coming to the block, born the same day Kenny died.
But at the moment smiles are few and far between in the Smith family.

http://www.nationnews.com/story/295866219208010.php

Cook's tour with 'Idol' lacks arena rock feel

This year's "American Idol" winner David Cook looked at the large numbers of still-seated fans during his set at Nassau Coliseum last night and shook his head.

"There's too many of you people sitting down," he said. "We're at a rock show."

Well, actually we weren't. The annual "American Idol" tour may have some rock elements, but it's pretty far away from arena-filling rock shows. And this year's version - despite Cook's excellent set, featuring his hit "Time of My Life" and his ever-impressive grunge interpretations of Lionel Richie's "Hello" and Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" - was farther away than usual.

http://www.newsday.com/services/newspaper/printedition/tuesday/news/ny-etidol055789656aug05,0,1109358.story

Viva Las Tubies wins the day

The Morrisburg & District Lions Club president was amazed at the complexity of the floats entered into the 2008 parade for the annual Tubie Festival.

This year's parade theme was You-Tubie: Paddle Yourself, a reference to the popular Internet video-sharing website YouTube.
The winning float, decked out with zombies, was based on the music video "Thriller," and was possibly a reference to the popular YouTube prison dance version of the Michael Jackson classic.
"They had it all choreographed with the video," said Michael Domanko, president of the local Lion's Club and event chairperson. "It was very elaborate and impressive."
The parade's third-place winner was also the winner of the annual tubie race. Their theme was Viva Las Tubies. "We now pronounce you tubie man and wife," joked team captain Lindsay Waddell, whose team came out in top in the race with a time of 31 minutes and 30 seconds. The six-person team managed the victory despite Waddell actually falling off their craft at the start of the race. A teammate helped pull her back on.

http://www.standard-freeholder.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1142633

[SIZE=+2]Today in[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]Michael Jackson History[/SIZE]​

1979 - Michael Jackson's first studio album, "Off The Wall," was released. The album brought four top ten hits.

1992 - Michael Jackson collapsed three times during a concert in Wales.

OFF%20THE%20WALL.jpg

Last edited:
lol can bash*t be any more stupid ? that guy makes me sick in my stomach :puke:

I love B making fool of himself! Truth surfaces not only on what a crap of a journalist he is but on what he is really like....! This snippet is the highlight of the news today for me! Thanks for sharing!

I am a man, so maybe that why Bashir's remarks dont seem that big a deal to me. In fact, I find them rather amusing.

Like it's written in the article, he would have gotten away with it if he were in a mans club.

The thing is that he is supposed to be a respected journalist and the fact that he knew very well who was his audience that night, one should think he should be wise enough to keep those remarks to himself.

The man is a fool. And that's whats so funny abut this whole story.

The funniest joke of all is that Bashir is actually a journalist.

Sometimes I think Bashir has a heightened sense of confidence which he uses to run his mouth, to provoke where it is inappropriate.

I'm a female and yes, I wouldn't say I am all that offended by his remarks but perhaps if I was Juju Chang I would be..embarrassed and worse off and the Asian babes remark was also a little below the waist (pun not intended -- and I am Asian myself).

anyways, these days it matters little to me about Bashir..his journalistic integrity is long gone and sadly America still entertains his likes.

Oh Bashir... whatever. :sigh: :lol:

Off the Wall... a classic. :yes:

The funniest joke of all is that Bashir is actually a journalist.

I agree!!! When will they FINALLY realize that this man is a FOOL with no respect for ANYONE!! :rolleyes:

I am a man, so maybe that why Bashir's remarks dont seem that big a deal to me. In fact, I find them rather amusing.

Well I can take a lot of jokes and I'd say I have a good sense of humor and I wouldn't say I'ma very "uptight" person. But those remarks made even me cringe. I mean, keep in mind what the OCCASION was? He wasn't having a drink in a bar with his friends...he was giving a SPEECH to the Asian American Journalists Association!! :no::doh: I'm glad SOMEONE saw his STUPIDITY and made him apologize at least even for that. God bless THEM!

i am a guy and i don't find them amusing at all. i do see them as a big deal. and if his co-employee is making this all public that this has been ongoing, it would seem that bashir and his boss are not sorry...they are just sorry he got caught

Last edited:
I was supposed to post this last month but I forgot. It was produced by a graduate student of LimKokWing University.

Scanned from The Sun, Friday, July 18, 2008

limkokwing.jpg

Last edited:

Ditto, if we were at the water cooler, but what makes him an idiot is the occasion and setting he opted to do it. That's what makes him a complete moron. Honestly, this isn't anything I wouldn't say in any number of hang-outs, or laugh at if someone else said it. But a formal function is probably a pretty career-suicidey place for race related sexist comments. If I were at something like this and someone made these remarks, I would likely laugh at both the comments and the fact that the dude was figuratively punching himself in the balls. What a dumbass, but then we already knew this.

Lemme re-read that. "... happy that the podium covers me from the waist down" :rollin:

Thanks to all posting news/mentionings. :flowers:

LOL@ the Bashir story. :doh:

Being that there were women on the audience who rightfully might have been offended by Bashir's "babes" statement and the other one regarding the podium, he should have been more careful about what he was saying. I find his comments to be way off kilter and sexist. I hope he understands that he can't say things like this and expect nobody to care. And I have to say, after what Bashir did to Michael, I have long since gotten sick of him getting away with doing so dirty by people. I hope now the media can see that Bashir wasn't so perfect and squeaky-clean after all.

Last edited:
Thanks for the news.

When I saw the news article from the Daily Nation in Barbados, my heart gave a jump. I live in Barbados and I had not heard this news.

Ditto, if we were at the water cooler, but what makes him an idiot is the occasion and setting he opted to do it. That's what makes him a complete moron. Honestly, this isn't anything I wouldn't say in any number of hang-outs, or laugh at if someone else said it. But a formal function is probably a pretty career-suicidey place for race related sexist comments. If I were at something like this and someone made these remarks, I would likely laugh at both the comments and the fact that the dude was figuratively punching himself in the balls. What a dumbass, but then we already knew this.

My thoughts EXACTLY!! It's a different thing to say things like that among friends when you are telling them how attractive you thought the women were....but to say something like THAT in your SPEECH....and I am hoping his WIFE wasn't there! Imagine your husband going on about "Asian babes" and how he is happy no one can see him below his waist...while you're present. Nice one Bashir! :no::doh: I hope his wife gave him a hard time about that one too. He deservs it! What a MORON!! Sheesh!

Lemme re-read that. "... happy that the podium covers me from the waist down" :rollin:

I know!!! WHAT person in his RIGHT MIND would say something like that in front of everybody in his SPEECH at a formal occasion??!!!!! :doh::doh::doh: Gosh, he is such an IDIOT!! But then again...that's nothing new. I knew he was a fool the second he opened his mouth in LWMJ. He's a complete MORON! Sorry...that's just all I can say. I just have no respect for Bashir. Not after what he did to Michael. And this one just proves me again he is a complete idiot.

Last edited:
He went on to make a documentary in 2003 shadowing Michael Jackson. This culminated in the pop star standing trial accused of molesting one of the boys featured in the programme. Jackson was later acquitted and later filmed his own rebuttal interview of what he perceived as Bashir's underhand tactics.

Notice how journalist is very strict about statement correctness when writes about Bashir's underhand tactics, which are not such, but "perceived" as such by Michael, but, at the same time, there is no word "allegedly" before "molesting".

That journalist should be fired immediately, or as WBSS21 would write, should "die and burn forever in hell" :lol:

Last edited:
Notice how journalist is very strict about statement correctness when writes about Bashir's underhand tactics, which are not such, but "perceived" as such by Michael, but, at the same time, there is no word "allegedly" before "molesting".

That journalist should be fired immediately, or as WBS21 would write, should "die and burn forever in hell" :lol:

Well, the word "accused" indicates that it's alleged; the same as MJ "perceived" the documentary to be underhanded. It doesn't look to be taking sides at all. It's not like MJ was "accused of allegedly molesting a boy." That doesn't even make sense. I think you're looking much too deeply into it, and might expect the writer to pander to fan sensitivities to an extent that's rather silly. What you quoted sounds pretty damn detatched.

Last edited:
Well, people seem to forget English. Since I am by far not a native speaker, I more often refer to dictionaries.

There is critical difference between terms accusation and allegation, please see definition.

exactly. even tthe daily mail scum know that
not that it would make any difference to your average Daily Mail reader; no one's more vicious and brainwashed by this fear-mongering bible of Britain than those lot .
f_steam.gif

yeah u can spot a daily mail reader a mile off lol

There is critical difference between terms accusation and allegation, please see definition.

Uh huh.

He was accused of molesting a boy. That is what happened. Simple as. There was no reason to add the word "alleged" since it was already written that it was an accusation and not fact. To see some underhanded intentions in the way the writer worded it is just paranoia. And if it's just your understanding of English phrasing that's the problem, maybe you should make sure of this stuff before you suggest for somebody to burn in hell ;).

what he did in lwmj SHOULD have been enough for abc to know he has error in judgement.. Yet they award him to a contract with the channel.. STUPID!!

Back