Tribute Project for Nelson Mandela

<header>7 ways Nelson Mandela changed South Africa

</header>
131205-mandela-hmed-417p.photoblog600.jpg

Leon Neal / AFP - Getty Images file

Former South African president Nelson Mandela waving to the media as he arrived outside 10 Downing Street, in central London, for a meeting with the British Prime Minister, on Aug. 28, 2007.

By Alastair Jamieson, Staff writer, NBC News

Almost two decades have passed since the end of legalized racial segregation in South Africa, yet the abolition of apartheid remains the biggest legacy of Nelson Mandela.

Anyone aged 18 or under will not have witnessed the public separation of whites and blacks enshrined in law, yet that was the daily reality in a country where races had been kept apart since colonial times.

South Africa continued to enforce racial division, denying blacks the right to vote, until Mandela&#8217;s release from prison in 1990 allowed him to begin negotiations with then-president Frederik Willem de Klerk. Apartheid ended with the arrival of multi-racial elections in 1994.

This transformation was achieved almost entirely peacefully despite the country&#8217;s long history of racial violence and a brutal police force.

On his release from captivity in 1990, Mandela&#8217;s African National Congress continued its historic commitment to an armed struggle against apartheid.

The 1993 assassination of ANC figurehead Chris Hani by right-wing white extremists heightened fears that the country was destined for a racial bloodbath, but Mandela issued an appeal: &#8220;Now is the time for all South Africans to stand together against those who, from any quarter, wish to destroy what Chris Hani gave his life for &#8211; the freedom of all of us.&#8221;

Here are six other ways Mandela changed his country:

Forsaking bloodshed
The renunciation of violence was one of the defining moments of the political process, and earned Mandela and de Klerk the 1993 Nobel Peace Prize.

Forging a political path
The transition formally turned South Africa into a democracy, bringing in one of the world's most progressive constitutions and allowing blacks not only into polling booths, but also into the corridors of power. In doing so, South Africa also lost its global pariah status. Apartheid had been punished by sanctions including a trade embargo and a ban on direct flights to dozens of countries, like the United States.

A global player
In his inauguration speech in 1994, Mandela heralded the country&#8217;s re-entry onto the world stage, saying it should become &#8220;a rainbow nation&#8221; that would never again be seen as &#8220;the skunk of the world.&#8221;
He said: &#8220;We enter into a covenant that we shall build a society in which all South Africans, both black and white, will be able to walk tall, without any fear in their hearts, assured of their inalienable right to human dignity - a rainbow nation at peace with itself and the world.&#8221;

Peace and forgiveness
Mandela&#8217;s biggest influence on the new South Africa was his personal determination that anger over the crimes of the past, including his 27 years as a political prisoner, should not motivate future laws and actions. Key to this was his 1995 establishment of a Truth and Reconciliation Commission that investigated historic human rights violations and gave vent to grievances.

A cultural power
That same year, South Africa hosted the Rugby World Cup &#8211; the first event of its kind to be held there since the end of the apartheid-era sporting boycott. Along with cricket, rugby was a game played and enjoyed almost exclusively by whites, making the event tough for Mandela&#8217;s fledgling democratic government to "sell" to a wider population.Despite resistance on both sides, Mandela swung the rainbow nation behind both the team &#8211; the Springboks &#8211; and the tournament, which South Africa won. That achievement, documented in the 2009 film &#8220;Invictus&#8221; starring Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon, illustrated the extent of South Africa&#8217;s rehabilitation and also set the country back on the path of sporting success.

A generous soul
Mandela&#8217;s other key legacy is his extensive charitable work, including the creation of the Nelson Mandela Foundation, the Nelson Mandela Children&#8217;s Fund and 46664 &#8211; the HIV-AIDS initiative named after his prison number.In 2009, the United Nations declared that July 18, Mandela&#8217;s birthday, would be a worldwide day of community service known as Nelson Mandela International Day.

Source : http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/...ways-nelson-mandela-changed-south-africa?lite

Re: MJ Estate mourns Nelson Mandela

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrrwNsDuAac

At The fourth kora to Africa music awards Michael receives a lifetime achievement award given not only to musicians but to anyone who is doing a great action for humanity. Nelson Mandell is introduces and Michael presents a check The Nelson Mandela Childrens Fund.

KORA AWARDS

High-quality video

A truly great and inspirational man. What a loss for the entire planet.

Rest in peace, Nelson Mandela.

Rest in Paradise Nelson Mandela

FieldOfDreams1.jpg

Nelson Mandela: first ever interview
The first TV interview with Nelson Mandela, filmed while he was in hiding in 1961.
http://screen.yahoo.com/nelsonmandela/nelson-mandela-first-ever-interview-090010416.html

article-0-040E2EFC000005DC-579_468x384.jpg

Daliah Lama, meets with former South African President Nelson Mandela

magubane2.0919_3.JPG

Two of South Africa's Nobel Peace Prize Laureates, Nelson Mandela and Archbishop Desmond Tutu, join hands at Ipelegeng in White City, Soweto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BGS7SpI7obY

"It is music and dancing that makes me at peace with the world, and at peace with myself". Nelson Mandela.
Johnny Clegg and Savuka sing 'Asimbonanga' ('We Do Not See Him, We Do Not See Mandela) which for many of us was a song that gave us great hope during some of the darkest days of apartheid. At the end of this performance performed for Mandela in 1999 he speaks briefly and dances on stage with that extraordinary smile that came from an extraordinary place.

This is very sweet and at the end Mandela ask the audience to join in and dance with him
Asimbonanga :girl_guitar:

Here's a cool clip from the movie Sarafina! that I came across on fb. Rest well Tata Madiba... :heart:

The world mourns the loss of a great, great man. Nelson Mandela will always remain an inspiration, on so many levels.

Snow White luvs Peter Pan;3936382 said:
“When you are behind bars with no hope of release, you need to find strength wherever you can, personally, I found strength in Michael Jackson.” ~Nelson Mandela (2005)
Not to make a big deal out of this as it does not matter right now, but I have seen this quote reposted several times. Sadly, it comes from a satirical article that was written to mock Michael after he told Jesse Jackson in the 2005 radio interview that he drew inspiration from Mandela at the time. If only the author of the article would do the same...

1455997_10151870419004389_985183197_n.jpg

Great words to live by. I see many that keep themselves in prison over past injustices rather than strive to move forward and create solutions for a better world. This too was Michael's message. He didn't hold bitterness or grudges and just kept moving forward in peace and love to achieve his dreams and goals.

I applaud your many efforts and works to eliminate the racial divide.
Thank you, for all that you have striven for.
Rest in peace Mr. Nelson Mandela.

In an electrifying speech from the dock at the beginning of the defense case, Mandela addressed the court:
During my lifetime I have dedicated myself to this struggle of the African people. I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal for which I hope to live, and to see realized. But my Lord, if it needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die.
Nelson Mandela

Last edited:

We have to remember that these men are spirits and they are living in the spirit world now. Yes, it hurts but they are living someone else now and they are with us in spirit. We morn for the lost of them in the flesh but they live on in spirit and we can feel their presence around us.

MJ Estate mourns Nelson Mandela

It is nice to see the Estate make a statement. RIP Nelson Mandela. You are a shining light for humanity. Your legacy will live on always. Thank you.

Rest in Peace mr Nelson Mandela

Nelson Mandela's unwavering courage, forgiveness and hope touched and inspired people all around the world. He showed that the dream of a just society is possible and he challenged our generation to lead the way towards it.

As Mandela said in his extraordinary 2005 speech in London's Trafalgar Square, 'Like slavery and apartheid, poverty is not natural. It is man-made and it can be overcome and eradicated by the actions of human beings.'

And he ended his speech with a call that moves us still.

'Sometimes,' Mandela said, 'it falls upon a generation to be great. You can be that great generation. Let your greatness blossom.'

One way to honour Nelson Mandela's memory is to share those words to prove every day that this generation can be the great one that ends extreme poverty
.One.org

Great friends inspire others to do great things.... ?

Yesterday, the world lost this great man. We will never forget him and all she has taught us.

If you would like to share what he has taught you, you can still submit an image or video for the tribute.

Love,

Lark

Thanks for sharing this nice tribute!

I personally find strength in Nelson Mandela and Michael Jackson still.

They'll both always be inspirational to soooo many cuz they've given nothing less than their lives for humanity!

Peace be with you always Mandela. You changed the world**

Honor Nelson Mandela for His Incredible Work for Justice

Beginning when he was a young man in his 20s, Nelson Mandela fought against apartheid, protesting the South African government's racist policies. Jailed multiple times for treason and other political offenses and imprisoned for over 27 years, Mandela emerged without rancor or bitterness yet resolved to bring an end to South Africa's unjust political system.

In 1993, Mandela was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to dismantle apartheid and build a nation dedicated to equality and justice for all. The following year, in the country's first democratic elections, he was inaugurated as South Africa's first black president.

Mandela dedicated his life to equality, democracy, and education. His determination to fight racism and injustice is an example to us all. Please sign this action to honor the memory of Nelson Mandela and his life's work by pledging to do everything you can in your own life to advance equality and justice.
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/902/069/598/?z00m=20680955

The world mourns the loss of a great, great man. Nelson Mandela will always remain an inspiration, on so many levels.

Not to make a big deal out of this as it does not matter right now, but I have seen this quote reposted several times. Sadly, it comes from a satirical article that was written to mock Michael after he told Jesse Jackson in the 2005 radio interview that he drew inspiration from Mandela at the time. If only the author of the article would do the same...
Sad. I'm actually glad that you wrote this because I read the quote for the first time here and the dates did not make sense to me-Mandela was, of course, in prison when Michael was about four and not released until he was 30 or so-before he had any allegations or anything. And reading "strength to leave the Jackson 5" frankly sounded sarcastic to me. So I'm glad you cleared that up.

RIP Mr. Mandela-a real hero and inspiration to us all.

Dr. Patrick Treacy &#8207;@peege 6 Dez

That's Mandiba grandfather: http://www.news24.com/MyNews24/Thats-Mandiba-grandfather-20131206#.UqHSK9pxJlc.twitter … via @News24
I was with Michael Jackson one day in my clinic in Dublin discussing a future concert we were arranging in Africa when Nelson came talking on the cell phone.

At first I thought it was a South African concert promoter and blandly spoke to him about how life was in the Cape for about five to ten minutes minutes before idly giving the phone back.

Michael then just laughed and said, “Hey, Patrick I’m really surprised you had so little to say to my grandfather ‘Mandiba’ when you had the chance to talk to him. You talk about him enough!”

http://www.news24.com/MyNews24/Thats-Mandiba-grandfather-20131206
patrik-treacy-michael-jackson.jpg

I know that Mandela love Lady Blacksmith Mambazo & he used The Moon is Walking in the ending of his biography "Mandela" To You Madiba You changed the world.

Grace Rwaramba shared this story of MJ and Nelson Mandela on her facebook. pic.twitter.com/GJyoPW7fl4

Ba1DVecCAAANzrx.png:large

Back