Today's Top 10: Top 10 Earth Songs

CherubimII

Proud Member
Today's Top 10: Top 10 Earth Songs

Published: Friday, April 23, 2010

By Mary Ann Fiebert, Community Journalist

1. We are the World, originally written by Michael Jackson and Lionel Ritchie to bring awareness to African famine. The song brought together some of the most famous musical artists. A new recording was recently done to bring awareness to the plight of the people of Haiti after an earthquake struck on January 12th 2010.

2. This Pretty Planet by John Foster and Tom Chapin is a green themed children’s song.

3. This Land is Your Land by Woody Guthrie written in 1944. Since this land was made for you and we should take better care of it.

4. If a Tree Falls by Bruce Cockburn tackles the issue of the rainforest destruction. If a tree falls in the forest does anybody hear it?

5. Earth Song by Michael Jackson if you get the opportunity check out the MJ movie “This Is It”. The background video played during this song is near the end but it is worth watching the entire film.

6. Clear Blue Skies by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young a musical plea to do something about air and water pollution.

7. The 3 R’s (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle) by Jack Johnson adapted from “Three is a Magical Number” written by Bob Dorough. It was used in the film “Curious George”.

8. In the Year 2525 written in 1964 by Rick Evans …in the year 2525 if man is still alive, if woman can survive…they may find.

9. Mercy, Mercy Me written solely by Gaye became one of his most poignant anthems of sorrow at the world, dealing with the environment

10. Natures Way by Spirit from the album Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus released in 1970.

http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2010/04/23/opinion/doc4bd16fba26627212343425.txt

The musical world has always stepped up and made us aware of our emotions and the environment we live in.

Oh for gods sake lol. Earth song is bar far the best on that list. It's the only one with real real power that shows the real seriousness of the issues facing us and it's powerfull stuff. The others are like joly singalongs in comparison.

Oh for gods sake lol. Earth song is bar far the best on that list. It's the only one with real real power that shows the real seriousness of the issues facing us and it's powerfull stuff. The others are like joly singalongs in comparison.

I agree with you, with one exception:
Marvin Gaye's "Mercy, Mercy Me is as the author said: is one of the
"most poignant anthems of sorrow at the world, dealing with the environment".

5. Earth Song by Michael Jackson if you get the opportunity check out the MJ movie “This Is It”. The background video played during this song is near the end but it is worth watching the entire film.

I would have had Earth Song as #1. That song was clearly way ahead of it's time, in my opinion.

I would be late for work almost everyday, waiting for that dang video to come on the morning MTV countdown show. LOL! I knew it would eventually be played and I didn't want to leave the crib until I saw it.

Earth song must be THE best song in the entire world.

That's it. It's the best song ever.

Good list. Other than Michael's songs which are superb, I really enjoy Marvin Gaye's as well as In the Year 2525, which I think is a very touching song. I'm glad that one made the list.

I said years ago that Earth song should be an anthom. This song is amazing and it means something. That song has a heart and soul and a wake up call. Michael knew that years and years ago.
It must be recognized and it should be nr.1.

well..lol..the writer called them all, earth songs, so i think that song inspired the list. it's like calling it number 1.

I personally would put 'Mercy Mercy Me' as number 1. 'This Land Is Your Land' always seemed like a patriotic song to me like Lee Greenwood's 'God Bless The USA'. So I don't know why it's on the list. It has nothing to do with the earth or environment.

I personally would put 'Mercy Mercy Me' as number 1. 'This Land Is Your Land' always seemed like a patriotic song to me like Lee Greenwood's 'God Bless The USA'. So I don't know why it's on the list. It has nothing to do with the earth or environment.

I agree with you. That Marvin Gaye song is the best one. And I am grateful that MJ's song even made the the list.

Earth song not number one, gasp! Loooovvvvvee that song so much and the Google logo really reminded me of the beginning of the short film. Glad to see Michael on these list though, a few years ago people were ignoring him left right and centre.

Hey, he's got two songs in the top five. And one as no. 1 in WE are the World. So I am definitely happy. Unfortunately Earth Song was not big at all in the U.S. even though the short film was very popular. Now at least ppl are discovering it and giving it the respect and admiration it deserves because of TII and the Grammys.

I love you Michael for being so sensitive to the planet's needs. :wub:

How can Earth Song not be the #1 Earth Song. Well at least the #1 was another song with Michael's brilliance. I think that did that on purpose. They know Michael deserves to be #1 but they made him "share" the spot so he wouldn't be. They always downgrade him when they know he's the best. But really, I'm not complaining. I'm glad he made the list. This is great for him. And it's not one song but TWO. So it's all good.

The strange thing for us UK lot is its hard to imagine people not knowing earth song. It was so big here. 6 weeks at the top spot, most people know now, but it's his biggest selling single of all here. We know good music when we here it :p lol jokes

The strange thing for us UK lot is its hard to imagine people not knowing earth song. It was so big here. 6 weeks at the top spot, most people know now, but it's his biggest selling single of all here. We know good music when we here it :p lol jokes

Yeah, Earth Song was very popular in Europe. It's strange it wasn't in the US. It's a so much better song than YANA IMO, which was Nr 1 on Billboard. I sometimes cannot understand Americans. LOL.

Yeah, Earth Song was very popular in Europe. It's strange it wasn't in the US. It's a so much better song than YANA IMO, which was Nr 1 on Billboard. I sometimes cannot understand Americans. LOL.

I don't understand Americans and I am one- I know I loooved it. I think Americans are not very well tuned or passionate about the environment like Europeans are and frankly the rest of the world. Environmentalists interfere with big companies and their bottom line.

Also, it was not your typical pop song - it was different and that is why it is so great. The same goes for BOTDF- briliant dance song, but didn't make a dent here. Shame. I think Americans like regular, typical pop songs. Anyway, just my take on it.

YES YOU DO!!! :clapping:

How can Earth Song not be the #1 Earth Song. Well at least the #1 was another song with Michael's brilliance. I think that did that on purpose. They know Michael deserves to be #1 but they made him "share" the spot so he wouldn't be. They always downgrade him when they know he's the best. But really, I'm not complaining. I'm glad he made the list. This is great for him. And it's not one song but TWO. So it's all good.
We Are the World is number #1 because it's more known than Earth Song.

I thought ES wasn't released in America, that's why.

Earth Song wasn't released on physical media in the US, so it's chances to make it high on the charts was deminished. Sony USA wanted to boost the sales of the HIStory album, so they decided to not release Earth Song as a physical single. It was released to radio and the music video of course. The video made it to number one on MTV's top 20 countdown.

Back