<<< TII is NUMBER ONE!!! >>> Interestin' comparison to Ray (Ray Charles) post #73

THIS IS IT Earns 101 million on first 5 day run.

Turn autoplay off
Turn autoplay on
Please activate cookies in order to turn autoplay off
Jump to content Jump to site navigation [0] Jump to search [4] Terms and conditions [8]
Sign in Register Mobile version Text largersmaller
guardian.co.uk Music Web News
Sport
Comment
Culture
Business
Money
Life & style
Travel
Environment
TV
Blogs
Video
Community
Jobs
Culture
Music
Michael Jackson
Michael Jackson film earns $101mBuzz up!
Digg it
Associated Press guardian.co.uk, Sunday 1 November 2009 23.28 GMT Article history
Michael Jackson's This Is It pulled in $101m (£61m) worldwide in its first five days, and distributor Sony is extending the farewell performance film beyond its planned two-week run.

In Britain, where Jackson had planned a series of 50 London concerts starting in July, the movie earned £4.6m. In the US, where it is No 1 at the box office, it took $32.5m. The film made $10.4m in Japan, $6.3m in Germany and $5.8m in France.

"He's just loved everywhere on the planet," said Rory Bruer, head of distribution for Sony. "It doesn't matter if it's Asia, Africa, Australia, Europe, South America. Every continent in the world loved him and his music."

This Is It captures Jackson in behind-the-scenes performances in the weeks before his death in June, as he rehearsed for his London shows. The studio paid $60m for film rights to the footage.

The film was scheduled for a theatrical run of two weeks, but the studio has extended it a few more weeks in the US and on a country-by-country basis elsewhere, with most territories probably getting one to three weeks of extra playing time, Bruer said.

Re: THIS IS IT Earns 101 million on first 5 day run.

Great news! I'm happy they decided to extend it. Now I can go some more times. I am so sad that Michael is not with us to celebrate his hard work. Well deserve!!! I have seen "This Is It" for the fourth time. I am going to see it again. I hope the people of the world will now finally understand what we've known all along. Michael is the best, greatest and most amazing entertainer ever to walk this earth!!

Aaamazing, Well i have seen it 3 times now. Going again tomoro..Woohoo

Kewl! You gotta to let it simmer....:cool:

^^^ lol, that's right!!

This is some news I just found saying This Is It actually has a chance of beating Cyru's Best of both worlds. He's already beat her film at a world wide scale, but not the U.S. scale, still he has a chance to beat her at that too.

"They bet $60 million on this and got $101 million in just five days," said Paul Dergarabedian, box-office analyst for Hollywood.com. "It was a gamble and a bet that paid off."

The movie fell far short of last year's $31.1 million opening weekend domestically for "Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert." But Bruer said "This Is It" has a shot at surpassing the $65.3 million domestic total during the entire run of Cyrus' movie, which tops the all-time charts for music documentaries.

Worldwide, "This Is It" already has shot past Cyrus' concert film. Cyrus mainly appeals to American teens, and her movie got only a limited release overseas, where it took in about $5 million to give the film a global total of just over $70 million.

"This Is It" played in 3,481 theaters domestically, about five times the number for Cyrus' movie. But "Best of Both Worlds" ran in 3-D, for which theaters typically charge a few dollars more.

Awesome I'm seeing it again soon!

Still the king, i think this shows the press that people don't believe the crap they write, by going to the film people are showing their support for Michael which is still unbelievable massive despite nearly two decades of the tabloids trying to ruin his name.

Still the king, i think this shows the press that people don't believe the crap they write, by going to the film people are showing their support for Michael which is still unbelievable massive despite nearly two decades of the tabloids trying to ruin his name.

Yep, yep! :yes:

Re: > Interestin' comparison to Ray (Ray Charles)

‘Michael Jackson’ Leads Monday

Daniel Garris
Tuesday, November 3

Michael Jackson’s This Is It remained at the top of the box office for the sixth straight day on Monday.

This Is It has grossed $36.90 million thus far, placing it 50 percent ahead of the pace of 2004’s Ray (which was released just months after the death of Ray Charles).

Both men passed away in June, both movies released in late October.

Ray Charles Robinson (September 23, 1930 – June 10, 2004)
Ray the Movie - Release Date: 29 October 2004 (USA)

Numbers for today: http://boxoffice.com/numbers/

FYI: Speakin' of Number Ones, Moonwalk is the #1 new release on Amazon.com :D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_p_n_date_0?rh=i%3Astripbooks%2Cn%3A!1000 %2Ck%3Amoonwalk%2Cp_n_date%3A1250226011&bbn=1000&k eywords=moonwalk&ie=UTF8&qid=1257293400&rnid=12502 25011

Last edited:
Back