TII and the Golden Globes

babykinsilk05

Proud Member
I think TII is a lock in for a couple of niminations and "maybe" even a possible win. I mean, the noms and wins are decided by the Foreign Press Association and given the films monsterous success overseas, its overwhelmingly positive critical respond, and the fact that its Michael (who we all know is loved more overseas then he is in his own country)...gives it a very high chance for recognition. What do you guys think? That would be awesome and is much more likely then any recogintion from the Oscars.

It should win something... Pretty much everyone whos been loved it and becoming the highest grossing concert film of all time must count towards something

I think it would be a beautiful thing to see TII win a Golden Globe.

It should be nominated for every major award.And win at the oscars for best documentary at least.Hope the golden globes don't use mj's massive celebrity to boost tv ratings with meaningless nominations and zero wins.

Its deffinitly got a chance to score some nominations from the Golden Globe commitiee, more so then any Oscar. For one, the GG deadlines have not passed yet and two, they are known for surprising people during award season. People usually use the GG noms and wins as the template/foreshadower of what and who will be nominated for the Oscars BUT they (unlike the Oscars) always have a few unexpectants and TII could deffinitly be it this year. The fact that this award is chosen by the FOREIGN press is a BIG plus and can't be stressed enough.

Its deffinitly got a chance to score some nominations from the Golden Globe commitiee, more so then any Oscar. For one, the GG deadlines have not passed yet and two, they are known for surprising people during award season. People usually use the GG noms and wins as the template/foreshadower of what and who will be nominated for the Oscars BUT they (unlike the Oscars) always have a few unexpectants and TII could deffinitly be it this year. The fact that this award is chosen by the FOREIGN press is a BIG plus and can't be stressed enough.

when is the ceremony ?

I think TII is a lock in for a couple of niminations and "maybe" even a possible win. I mean, the noms and wins are decided by the Foreign Press Association and given the films monsterous success overseas, its overwhelmingly positive critical respond, and the fact that its Michael (who we all know is loved more overseas then he is in his own country)...gives it a very high chance for recognition. What do you guys think? That would be awesome and is much more likely then any recogintion from the Oscars.

I don't really agree with that statement, but....anyway, I hope he gets many Golden Globes noms.

MJ would be happy.

Michael deserves to win a golden globe. We all know he dreamed to make films.

The nominations for the Golden Globes came out today. "This Is It" wasn't nominated for anything. :( I'm afraid we might have to expect more of the same when the Oscar nominations come out too. They're sending the message that this kind of film (concert documentary) is not something that they think is worth rewarding or recognizing in their major categories which is rather narrowminded IMO.

I read two separate and independent articles today suggesting that the Golden Globes don't have much credibility as they basically just nominate whoever bribed them the most. So part of me just says "consider the source".

That being said, pretty much all awards seem to consider a very narrow range of filmswhen they nominate and TII doesn't really fit that profile unfortunately. I'm still optimistic that there will be some nominations. There's a lot more categories in the Academy Awards.

The nominations for the Golden Globes came out today. "This Is It" wasn't nominated for anything. :( I'm afraid we might have to expect more of the same when the Oscar nominations come out too. They're sending the message that this kind of film (concert documentary) is not something that they think is worth rewarding or recognizing in their major categories which is rather narrowminded IMO.

This is it was NOT eligible this year.

LOL at all the people crying foul that a movie that came out AFTER September 30th, (cutoff deadline for the GG) wasn't nominated.
MJ sold over 7.5 M albums in the US this year...stop with that nonsense that people overseas love him more. No one is selling that many records with all the illegal download, yet he managed to do that in a year.

Last edited:

the foreign press sucks just like all media .

Last edited:
the foreign press sucks just like all media . really is michael more loved overseas than his OWN country. cause they forgot to tell all the overseas people who voted for the golden globes who did not nominate michael. and all the american fans and public who voted for michael to WIN 4 american music awards. plus 10 nomination s by the us critics for the critics awards. and the music buying public who bought millions of albums and made him have numerous number 1 albums this year.and the millions we bought for years . the myth that michael is liked more overseas keeps on crumbling and gets funny the more and more its spread. stop trying to ruin michael history with youre ignorance. michael is loved everywhere. and he would not appreciate what you are doing. l.o.v.e

this is not about countrys or ones self its about sharing michaels magic everywhere and everyone because thats what michael did and wanted.

Source?

Maybe they just think there were better films this year.

As fans we were bound to adore the film but non-fans won't feel the same way. There really isn't much extraordinary filmmaking involved in This Is It - Ortega and co just sat in a room and essentialy pasted together bits of old home movie footage.

It would be very sad for somebody who poured their heart and soul into every frame of a totally original feature to lose an Oscar or a Golden Globe to a film which is just spliced together out of accidental footage.

Everyone knows you don't stand a chance at winning awards unless your film is about one of these three things: someone playing a real person, the Holocaust, or someone with a mental health illness.

I read two separate and independent articles today suggesting that the Golden Globes don't have much credibility as they basically just nominate whoever bribed them the most. So part of me just says "consider the source".

That being said, pretty much all awards seem to consider a very narrow range of filmswhen they nominate and TII doesn't really fit that profile unfortunately. I'm still optimistic that there will be some nominations. There's a lot more categories in the Academy Awards.

I wouldn't be too optimistic. I've been watching the Oscars for years and they can be just as bad, at times, worse than the Golden Globes. Personally, I do't believe This Is It will be nominated for anything. There's just too much competition at this time of the year with all the Oscar-bait films out. It's best chance would've been in Best Documentary. Shame it missed the deadline.

I am gonna repeat myself...TII did not receive a Golden Globe nomination because it was not eligible. It came out a month AFTER the cutoff date.

Stop being overdramatic, when the facts are right in front of you.

It might not get nominated next year either, because the movie will be old and most non fans might forget about it....(that is why most Oscar / GG movies come out at the end of the year, so they remain fresh in academy voters' memory).

But for the 2010 GG, the movie wasn't snubbed...it was simply not eligible.

I am gonna repeat myself...TII did not receive a Golden Globe nomination because it was not eligible. It came out a month AFTER the cutoff date.

It might not get nominated next year either, because the movie will be old and most non fans might forget about it....(that is why most Oscar / GG movies come out at the end of the year, so they remain fresh in academy voters' memory).

Crap. I just realized I've been confusing the deadline for Best Picture in the Oscars with that of the Golden Globes. My bad.

Hope the golden globes don't use mj's massive celebrity to boost tv ratings with meaningless nominations and zero wins.
tbh i dont see how they can boost ratings anymore by using mj. unless they claim his kids are gonna be there. shows only used mj by implying he would attend the show in order to get more viewers.thats not gonna happen anymore

Ah, this explains it then. I didn't know that. Thanks for the explanation.

how come brothers got nominated when that came out only one week ago. and everybody was saying clint eastwoods movie invicdious was snubbed and that came out this week.

how was michael not eligible when theses films where and they came out a month later.

how come brothers got nominated when that came out only one week ago. and everybody was saying clint eastwoods movie invicdious was snubbed and that came out this week.

how was michael not eligible when theses films where and they came out a month later.

TII was eligible for the Golden Globes. It missed the deadline for nomination for the Academy Award for best documentary. The Golden Globe rules are here: http://cdn.goldenglobes.org/resources/MP-Rules_67.pdf

We don't even know if it was entered for the Golden Globes, that would be up to Sony.

Maybe they just think there were better films this year.

As fans we were bound to adore the film but non-fans won't feel the same way. There really isn't much extraordinary filmmaking involved in This Is It - Ortega and co just sat in a room and essentialy pasted together bits of old home movie footage.

It would be very sad for somebody who poured their heart and soul into every frame of a totally original feature to lose an Oscar or a Golden Globe to a film which is just spliced together out of accidental footage.

Possibly or maybe it wasn't even entered.

I don't agree with you that there wasn't much filmmaking. Editing is as much or more filmmaking than shooting. And the creation of the set for TII wasn't much different than creating a set for a movie. There was a lot of artistry in the making of TII. There was a story arc that went beyond just running through the rehearsal. The combining of the different types of footage created a whole that was much more that the sum of the parts. It was much more interesting, and had more impact, than most of what Hollywood produces precisely because it wasn't the usual Hollywood cliche footage - are there any "totally original features" coming out of Hollywood?

I think I am self-aware enough to separate my fan response from my critical response. I'm not a member of the Academy but I think there are things worth recognizing in this film that go beyond fan appreciation.

It is the result that counts.

Back