'Thriller' on MTV HD?

cjdavis83

Proud Member
Hey

Just wondering if anyone has seen the 'THILLER' video in HD, especially on the MTVHD channel???

CJ

I havent seen Thriller in HD yet but i cant wait.

I recently bought the Queen in montreal concert in HD bluray and the picture is unbelievable !!!

well, about this whole HD (high definition) TV thing...

i dont think sony provided a true HD-version of thriller to MTV. i think all that MTV does is upscaling, meaning that the source (standard definition, SD) is being converted to a higher resolution, but that's more like fake HD and not true HD (true HD would have richer colors and every tiny detail)

its like if you insert your MJ-dvd into any device that upscales DVDs automatically (most dvd-players do that nowadays, or PS3s or Xbox 360s)

lol I'm confused too... did you say they play Thriller on mtv? and is it remastered or something?

No, no .. i was just being curious! I have wondered what the vid would like in HD thats all and if had been played on MTVHD in U.S or anywhere else, the channel is not yet available in the UK. Also, owing the fact the video/album is 25 years old this year. ..The THRILLER 25 CD/DVD finally included new, digitally restored version of THRILLER (now clocks in at 13.33 mins long)...

I honestly didn`t see any difference on the video on the thriller 25th release comparing to the earlier history dvd`s, i don`t think they did any remastering at all.

The owner of original film is/was MJJ Ventures (what is produced by Optimum Productions becomes co-property of MJJ Ventures).

Neither Sony Music Entertainment, nor Sony Pictures Entertainment ever possibly had copies of film originals since back in 1983 those two units were unrelated to each other (and were belonging to CBS, the television company, and Coca-Cola) and neither had anything to do with limited theatrical showcase of the "Thriller" minifilm that happened at the time (film distribution).

Thus actual film, to be digitized, has to be given by Jackson to SME first; not before that any HD can appear.

The owner of original film is/was MJJ Ventures (what is produced by Optimum Productions becomes co-property of MJJ Ventures).

Neither Sony Music Entertainment, nor Sony Pictures Entertainment ever possibly had copies of film originals since back in 1983 those two units were unrelated to each other (and were belonging to CBS, the television company, and Coca-Cola) and neither had anything to do with limited theatrical showcase of the "Thriller" minifilm that happened at the time (film distribution).

Thus actual film, to be digitized, has to be given by Jackson to SME first; not before that any HD can appear.

Ok, im curious. Tell me more about the limited theatrical showcase. I never knew it ran in movie theaters for a time. Did you ever see it in full widescreen glory? Re the digitization, are you saying that the 25th anniversary is not digitized (as its meant to be) or are you saying that MJ has to approve an HD version?

Wasn't Thriller shot in standard defintion? How can they show an HD quality version of it? It doesn't exist.

Yes, nearly all of Michael's videos are done on 35mm full-size film. Those videos can be converted easily to FullHD (TrueHD) 1920x1080 (BlueRay) resolution, and even higher, depending on condition of original films.

"Thriller" went to limited theatrical release in 1983 so it could be classified for Oscar.

Last edited:
Yes, nearly all of Michael's videos are done on 35mm full-size film. Those videos can be converted easily to FullHD (TrueHD) 1920x1080 (BlueRay) resolution, and even more, depending on condition of original films.

"Thriller" went to limited theatrical release in 1983 so it could be classified for Oscar.

Are you saying, even ones like 'Black or White' and 'Remember the Time' were shot on film?? I know that 'Billie Jean' , 'Bad' and 'Beat It' were all shot on film.

If you have VHS versions of these, than if you transfer them to PC in HD format (1920 x 1080), than you'll have HD videos. That's it.

Are you saying, even ones like 'Black or White' and 'Remember the Time' were shot on film?? I know that 'Billie Jean' , 'Bad' and 'Beat It' were all shot on film.

Mainly everything commerically you watch, whether that be a film, music video, commercial, soap opera, documentary, etc are shot on FILM. Film gives the highest grade of quality when shooting, I believe four times as good as shooting on HD video. If you were to watch a restored version on FILM of Thriller at the Cinema, you would be blown away.

If you have VHS versions of these, than if you transfer them to PC in HD format (1920 x 1080), than you'll have HD videos. That's it.

That would be the same as upconverting standard definition to HD, but it would not have HD quality.

That would be the same as upconverting standard definition to HD, but it would not have HD quality.

Yeah that is upscaling, "HD Upscaling is a way in which manufacturers mathematically match the pixel count of the DVD player’s output to the pixel count on an HDTV 1280x720 (720p) or 1920x1080 (1080i). It doesn’t deliver true HD but it does offer enhanced colour and disproved image resolution."

OK..i have opened a can of worms here LOL... i do know what HDTV is comprised off..all i wanted to know was if MTVHD had aired THRILLER but i guess that's like a short in the dark (the film is in 1.37:1 i beleve full frame so for a proper HD version to be on, there would have to be ANOTHER transfer made as opposed to the recent 'restored' version which is only in full frame)..i fully doubt Sony or MJ himself would release a HD version until perhaps its 30th anniversary ?

In order for Mike's videos to be in TRUE HD, Mike would have to transfer his film (I believe almost all of which was shot on 35mm) to HD CAM SR, D5 or some other flavor of HD broadcast master.

The highest quality of 35mm has something the equivalent of 20 million pixels. HD has a little over 2million (1920 x 1080). So, Mike can NOT only be shown in TRUE HD, but also SUPER HD (whenever a newer, higher resolution of HD is unveiled).

One of the smartest things Mike ever did was to shoot almost all of his work on Film. I'm not sure about his concerts, but I'm almost certain almost all of his music videos are film. I hope that somebody somewhere has a 35mm negative of the HIStory tour.

So, the question isn't whether or not Mike shot his videos in HD, the question is: WHEN will Mike be coming to HD?

In order for Mike's videos to be in TRUE HD, Mike would have to transfer his film (I believe almost all of which was shot on 35mm) to HD CAM SR, D5 or some other flavor of HD broadcast master.

The highest quality of 35mm has something the equivalent of 20 million pixels. HD has a little over 2million (1920 x 1080). So, Mike can NOT only be shown in TRUE HD, but also SUPER HD (whenever a newer, higher resolution of HD is unveiled).

One of the smartest things Mike ever did was to shoot almost all of his work on Film. I'm not sure about his concerts, but I'm almost certain almost all of his music videos are film. I hope that somebody somewhere has a 35mm negative of the HIStory tour.

So, the question isn't whether or not Mike shot his videos in HD, the question is: WHEN will Mike be coming to HD?

I know this is not a technology forum but 1080p resolution,i believe, has over 6 million pixels...

Mainly everything commerically you watch, whether that be a film, music video, commercial, soap opera, documentary, etc are shot on FILM. Film gives the highest grade of quality when shooting, I believe four times as good as shooting on HD video. If you were to watch a restored version on FILM of Thriller at the Cinema, you would be blown away.

im no expert on this technically, but film is definitly not the highest grade of quality.
maybe artistically because its showing things like through a smoothening filter...
but its definitly not the best way to record real sharp quality.
many movies and especially commercials, dokumentaries today are NOT
recorded on FILM anymore... also because the handling is
way more complecated and expensive than with digital equipment.

the film will need to be remastered using a digital intermediate process for blu-ray.
tbh i think somework has to be done on the colour/brightness/contrast on most of his videos
just sayin

Yes, "Remember The Time", "Black Or White", et cetera were shot on film.

Also, 1080p resolution is not anywhere close to 6 million pixels. It is just 1920x1080 ~ 2 million.

Sharpness of actual image on film-"original" may differ significantly. However, mass-production films for cinema theaters have just no more than about those 2+ million pixels TrueHD+ (1080p or 2520x1080 with 21:9 aspect ratio) resolution.

Last edited:
the film will need to be remastered using a digital intermediate process for blu-ray.
tbh i think somework has to be done on the colour/brightness/contrast on most of his videos
just sayin

LOL i think so too...i reckon they would look stunning in HD if remastered like they do with big Hollywood movies...

Back