Thriller now 29.00x MULTI PLATINUM in the USA

I do think there were people who wanted to pull success away from Michael after the 90's because they felt he wasn't as valuable anymore and could poise others to achieve today's version of 80's record sales success.

But if you look at various reports, Thriller has sold between 50-110 Million copies. There is discrepancy, I'm not really sure how many it really has sold, in "Michael Jackson's Private Home Movies" in 2001/2002, Michael says Thriller sold 62 Million records. If that's true, there is no way it sold a further 42 million copies by 2006 when Michael said after getting the Diamond Award Thriller sales stood at 104 Million.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/michae...003995326.story
[size=+1]The RIAA's second certification of shipments of the Eagles' "Their Greatest Hits" didn't occur until August 1990, when it certified the release as 12 times platinum. The RIAA couldn't immediately explain why the album wasn't certified at earlier platinum milestones, or why it was next certified at 14 times platinum in December 1993, and for 22 times in June 1995, despite U.S. sales of only 919,000 during that period. When the RIAA certified "Their Greatest Hits" as 26 times platinum in November 1999, it unseated "Thriller" at the top of the RIAA's all-time ranking.

Since being certified as 29 times platinum in January 2006, "Their Greatest Hits" has sold 404,000 copies, including 33,000 this year and 115,000 in 2008.
[/size]

[size=+1]Did anyone know what's up with the eagles' platinum????????
Anyone??[/size]

Last edited:
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/michae...003995326.story

[SIZE=+1]Did anyone know what's up with the eagles' platinum????????
Anyone??[/SIZE]

what's up?
what's up is that they (RIAA and/or sony) manipulated the sales. they gave them 12 million units to much. only to get thriller off the number one position. and to describe the eagles album "the album of the century". otherwise it would be thriller. they started doing that 1995. and finished it 1999. and later also some false certifications.
in fact the album of the century in the USA is "THRILLER". thats the fact! :D

what's up?
what's up is that they (RIAA and/or sony) manipulated the sales. they gave them 12 million units to much. only to get thriller off the number one position. and to describe the eagles album "the album of the century". otherwise it would be thriller. they started doing that 1995. and finished it 1999. and later also some false certifications.

How dare they.

MJ said in an interview 2005 that there is a conspiracy to underestemate his album sales in USA...and this is the proof of what he said.

I've always took that to direct claims that Invincible was a flop, or he struggled to sell albums since the 80's despite selling 30, 20, 10 million copies per album, or having the highest selling remix album in history. Not whether or not The Ealges or Thriller were ahead.

He may have wanted good album sales. He had the number one selling album ever, I doubt he was worried about taking the crown in the United States when he hand't even toured it in 20 years.

what's up?
The RIAA doesn't do audits, they only report info that is given to them by record companies. It's not required that the companies have to report sales, it's voluntary. When Berry Gordy ran Motown, he never reported what his acts sold as he didn't want to pay them. He gave his performers fake gold records, just for show. They weren't official RIAA sales awards. Other labels like King & Chess underreported sales for the same reason and just gave their acts cars or fur coats instead of royalties. Labels have overreported, underreported, or not reported sales ever since the music industry began. So I don't know why anybody takes sales figures seriously in the first place.

I've always took that to direct claims that Invincible was a flop, or he struggled to sell albums since the 80's despite selling 30, 20, 10 million copies per album, or having the highest selling remix album in history. Not whether or not The Ealges or Thriller were ahead.

He may have wanted good album sales. He had the number one selling album ever, I doubt he was worried about taking the crown in the United States when he hand't even toured it in 20 years.

his 30th anniversary concert was in the united states and i heard he was planning to do more concerts in america for invincible.i think the conspiracy michael was talking about with the usa sales where with sony using his barcode on his albums and using his sales for albums for other artist . i know sony has been accused of doing that. also sony would not stock his albums in stores as much when he told the he was leaving sony like michael said owning half of its music catalog. michael knew they where lying about his sales in america . he did not stop touring here because his sales were weak or he didnt care about the sales here. . he said he would love to tour in america during the history tour he said that in the vhi interview in 1995 also he planned on taking this is it tour here 2 . he told fans he was coming to la,. so i do think there was a conspiracy here . jermaine allude to it 2 during a interview.

Last edited:
They added music club sales for abou 6-8 millions of sales for the eagles in 1995

THATS not HARD to understand!!!!

did anyone read that eminem is the best selling artist of the last decade? I thought for sure it would have been michael

Well, if you think about it... Eminem has been releasing so many albums in this decade... Michael has less studio albums than him and sold more overall.... :rolleyes:

Quality over quantity....

They say Eminem has sold 32 million albums this decade!!!!

MJ has sold 20 million this year ALONE.

Vince sold around 10 million.

And the 2001 reissues, Number ones, The Essentials, T25 etc. has sold more than 2 million put together!

MJ must have sold more than 40 million albums in the last decade!! - How can they say Eminem has sold the most albums then??

The RIAA doesn't do audits, they only report info that is given to them by record companies. It's not required that the companies have to report sales, it's voluntary. When Berry Gordy ran Motown, he never reported what his acts sold as he didn't want to pay them. He gave his performers fake gold records, just for show. They weren't official RIAA sales awards. Other labels like King & Chess underreported sales for the same reason and just gave their acts cars or fur coats instead of royalties. Labels have overreported, underreported, or not reported sales ever since the music industry began. So I don't know why anybody takes sales figures seriously in the first place.

I agree. we will never know the exact sale numbers of mj. don't forget Michael had the best contract and got the best share of his cd sales in the music industry. Sony must underestimated his sales to gain more profits. Underreporting means $ony gain more money and Michael loses money. what do you expect from sony? we shouldn't take those sales number seriously. From his popularity, I don't think any other artists could beat his sales records.

I agree. we will never know the exact sale numbers of mj. don't forget Michael had the best contract and got the best share of his cd sales in the music industry. Sony must underestimated his sales to gain more profits. Underreporting means $ony gain more money and Michael loses money. what do you expect from sony? we shouldn't take those sales number seriously. From his popularity, I don't think any other artists could beat his sales records.

That just sounds so horrible, but that makes sense as to why they never certify his music often

The record companies don't just do this with Mike, but with all performers, that is why some like Ani DiFranco & Prince found alternate ways of releasing music. Prince said earlier this year that he doesn't know how much his records had sold when he was with Warners, only what they told him. Others like Bonnie Raitt & Don Henley were trying to get legislation against the labels' practices. A lot of old artists are broke because the companies ripped them off.

Last edited:
So the problem is with the record company not RIAA?

what's up?
Other than this, I don't think there's other explanations. Thx.

Mathematically do the odds for yourselves.
This is not possible. People will lie; number do not.
What to do then?

Thriller was the best selling album of all-time in the US 2 years after it released. Bad was the 2nd best selling album in the US after it released (behing Thriller)

I think thats what really matters. A true phenomenon.

What I'll never understand is why couldn't more of those 29 million people have bought the other albums? I think Thriller might have sold more than Off the Wall, Bad, Dangerous, HIStory, and Invincible combined in America. The point is it totally dwarfs his other adult solo works in the U.S.

So the problem is with the record company not RIAA?
The record companies give the RIAA sales info. It's like RCA claiming Elvis Presley has sold a billion altogether. It's pretty much impossible for anyone to actually verify what something has sold anyway, so record companies can and do say anything. "Thriller" has jumped numbers itself to that 104 million. But I'm pretty sure that neither Mike nor the Eagles has gotten paid for these mystery sales.

Other than this, I don't think there's other explanations. Thx.

What to do then?

Yes the fault is 100% with Sony Music USA. After he resigned the "billion dollar" 50/ 50 deal [$890 million 15 years-6 album] with SONY after the Bad era ended; they cheated him out of sales big time.

What to do not much but pass on the information to others. Understand to see/ read between the tea leaves with all things Michael Jackson. In reality Michael Jackson outsold them all(including the Beatles) If you check their sales certifications you will see they too magically sell 20 - 50 million every 1-2 years.

Yet ask this questions. Who are there demographic audience? What are there soundscan & chart positions vs certifications? Why does the music industry and the Media talk about the Beatles as if they are still relevant today? Why are they (a long with Elvis)magically atop every music chart all the time?

If you poll real people Michael Jackson has the largest demographic and the most fans world wide. But the Billboard, Rolling Stone,MTV, VH1 & music entertainment media promote Beatles as if they creat music itself.

Why?

Remember MJ was the highest paid artist in history; there was a reason for this. He generated the money, excitment, the dance and the songs. This equates $$$ which mean sales; unprecedented sales that included every group, race, country and age. No one has ever done that before or since period.

He is the only artist that partnered with his record label(a major, one of the "big 3") not an imprint( under/ within one of the majors) like Puffy or Jay-z.

Yet Michael Jackson"died in debt" preparing for his "come back". There was a reason his albums are not recertified and there is a reason it all ended this way.

Listen I love Michael as much as anyone on this board, always have and always will. I'm not a big poster on here but i've been here every day for the last few years looking. You guys can sometimes be hysterical. Why do the people that do the classifications have to be 'racist' and 'liars'.... why would they lie, what's in it for them. Thats why MJ fans come of as being hysterical. Whether we like it or not the Eagles do have their place in musical history. The classifications don't lie. Remember they just completed at 100+ date world tour in the last year. They aswell as MJ had a come back and it was a very sucessful one. (see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Road_out_of_Eden_Tour ). MJ is our king, we love him and will always be number one. No popstar comes close, but to say the people that give the classifications are lying or are racist is just plane hysterical. American MJ fans have been saying for years that it was impossible to find a record store properly stocked with his cd's for years. Maybe thats why he wasnt able to sell a million copies of thriller a year for the last few years.

Good point. Now when someone says, "Michael isn't the highest seller of all time, so he isn't the most famous artist.", we can answer, "You are right, but when have sales had anything to do with artistic ability." That's the excuse the haters gave when Mike was #1, so throw it back at them.

:punk:

Back