Thriller named greatest music video of all time

Rhilo

Proud Member
Originally from the Mirror site, but I didn't want to give then any traffic lol. Anyhoo, I think the Thriller music video and album will remain unbeatable forever.

image-4-for-editorial-pics-7th-june-2011-gallery-630727540.jpg

Michael Jackson's groundbreaking Thriller has been named the greatest video of all time by musicians, almost three decades after it was created.

The creepy film, which sees the late singer transformed into both a werewolf and a zombie, narrowly beat Lady Gaga's raunchy Telephone in the poll.

Another vintage promo - Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody, which dates back to 1975 - was third in the vote by musicians' website musicradar.com.

Thriller, made by John Landis, the director of An American Werewolf In London, is credited with turning pop videos into an art form of their own.

The 14-minute film was the most expensive of its day, when it was first shown in 1983, and cost half a million dollars to create.

Gaga's violent Telephone is another epic, weighing in at nine minutes and was created by Jonas Akerlund, who was behind Prodigy's controversial Smack My Bitch Up, which is seventh in the list.

Will Groves, editor-in-chief of MusicRadar, said: "Lady Gaga ran Thriller very close, but it still seems right that the promo that saw the birth of the pop video as a cultural event should hold the top spot - for now."

The full list will be counted down at musicradar.com. The top 10 is:

1. Michael Jackson - Thriller
2. Lady Gaga featuring Beyonce - Telephone
3. Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
4. Johnny Cash - Hurt
5. Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer
6. Aphex Twin - Windowlicker
7. The Prodigy - Smack My Bitch Up
8. Beastie Boys - Sabotage
9. Foo Fighters - Everlong
10. Nirvana - Heart Shaped Box.

source: http://sfluxe.com/2011/12/26/michae...reatest-music-video-of-all-time-daily-mirror/

^Yeah, that I don't get at all. Thriller will be remembered forever, but will anyone remember Lady Gaga's video 10 years from now? Exactly.

Thriller was , is and will always be the best music video of all time. Period!

smooth criminal should be at least the second place, that short film is so epic.

what is gaga doing on this chart?????????????????
:doh:

EDIT: ah, now i know. after watching this for the first time. its because they jumping around like nude whores, and showing a pussy.
seems she can show and say what she wants in a video. if michael jackson would do something like this he would be accused for several things. (like BOW or TDCAU, how stupid that was ^^)
but that proves that, today, u can only sell something and get money when u are selling your body and jump around like a nude dirty whore, like gaga is. thats a fact!

Last edited:
Michael did shortfilms, the others did videos.
It´s a difference in quality here.

I haven´t seen all videos but I just saw "telephone" and in my opinion are all Michael´s shortfilms better.

u can only sell something and get money when u are selling your body and jump around like a nude dirty whore, like gaga is. thats a fact!

Gaga is not the only one, it's the norm in 99% of the videos whether it's a male or female "singer". They confuse eroticism and vulgarity. I guess when you have no artistic talent, you need to hide it somehow.

Gaga is not the only one, it's the norm in 99% of the videos whether it's a male or female "singer". They confuse eroticism and vulgarity. I guess when you have no artistic talent, you need to hide it somehow.

well said. and there are nearly noone out there with talent. i mean really talent to be a superstar

Call me old fashion, but to me, when you know how to sing and/or dance, you dont need to show anybody's buttocks or boobs to attract attention. Just sayin'

Its funny how he said telephone was close. Telephone copied thriller at the end with thriller influenced dance moves! Also she needed beyonce and sex dances!

MJ just did as a short film, all with art and passion.
I am very surprised smooth criminal is not in there, that video has inspired so many people!

Is it just me or is there a list like this almost every year nowadays?
This list has the be the oddest of them all up to now though. Most of the videos don't even make sense on a list like this.
They all end up the same, "Thriller" is always number one and should be really imo.
I'll leave my comments about the number 2 on this list and others to myself since some of it has been said already anyway ;)

Yay for Thriller :dancin:!!!!!

But this seems like another PR stunt to compare Gaga to the King...........that makes this list Null and Void!!!

+ many other videos in the list are rubbish!!!!

Maybe this thread should be called "Lady Gaga Telephone voted second best video" since that's all that's being discussed in this thread. :rolleyes:

Yay for Thriller!!!! :wild:

Michael is top of the list, shouldn't that be the most important thing to us here? :)

Last edited:
I'm glad Michael is Nr 1 - though I think "Smooth Criminal" was his best video.

As for Lady Gaga. All the other videos on the list are classics which stood the test of time. Lady Gaga won't, but right now she's a current star and that's why she's on the list.

They confuse eroticism and vulgarity.

Yes, that's the problem. I have nothing against eroticism in music videos. It can be done tastefully (see "In the Closet") but what Lady Gaga does is not even erotic it's just vulgar.

Back