THRILLER Back On Top Of Billboard Charts

bobmoo79

Proud Member
Thriller has jumped to the top of the Billboard Catalog chart again (and it's not even Halloween!)
http://www.billboard.com/charts/catalog-albums

Also, after jumping into the Top40 UK album chart several weeks ago (#29), Number Ones slipped to #32 last week and continues it's survival at #35 this week.

http://www.officialcharts.com/albums-chart/

Does anybody know of any reason why both these albums have seen good sales gains?

A side point:
When I was visited this Official Charts company web page I noticed that for the section entitled 'All the number one albums' they have used a picture of MJ from the Dangerous Tour as the background behind the drop down box that allows you to select a year.
http://www.officialcharts.com/archive/music/

Re: Thriller back on top

They are full of good music:)

1tumblr_lgp6q5NhE21qcjtu8o1_500.gif

If only Bad (and Dangerous, History and Invincible:)) find its way to charts, I'd be happy

Someone told me something about a HD download available of Thriller available? I don't know if that's why it's charting.

Yeah, and Thriller is at #52 on the main Billboard 200 chart!

Last week there were three MJ albums on Billboard 200 (Thriller, Essential and Number Ones).

Wasn't a member questioning people's interest in Michael the other day - or lack of it? I guess this is an answer, and a positive one at that :)

Thanks for sharing the great news.

Someone told me something about a HD download available of Thriller available? I don't know if that's why it's charting.

After a quick google search I found a forum discussing the HD Thriller tracks you refer to. They have been released by HDTracks and appear to be legal from what I have seen. It seems the files were taken from the SACD and so are better quality than the CD version, and certainly better than the recent re-releases (2001 and T25). I'm not sure if sales at that site contribute to the charts. Their tracks are aimed at the audiophile market and so sales are very unlikely to have influenced the album chart to the extent that it would push Thriller to #1. It's interesting the news of this release wasn't posted on this forum.

I can't actually visit the site at work to verify that HDtracks is legit or that the release is official, so please don't spend your money there unless you know (or can verify) it is legit.

Can anyone translate this properly (i.e. not using an online translator!)

Critical listening of Michael Jackson Thriller (176khz/24bit):

http://www.suoniestrumenti.it/blog/...ing_michael_jackson_thriller_a_176_khz_24_bit

Last edited:

Amazon had the mp3 version of Thriller on sale for $2.99 last month so that may be one of the reasons why it's doing so well.

Last edited:

Wasn't a member questioning people's interest in Michael the other day - or lack of it? I guess this is an answer, and a positive one at that :)

It was in the thread below. A non fan was mistating that Thriller was is no longer relevant that no one buys it since the 80's and it could it not possibly sell 100 million .. to which we replied it is very relevant and faithfully climbs the charts every year .. and as we see, on its 30th Anniversary it continues. :)

Statement from MJ Estate Pg 12 #170 / New Yorker - Did Thriller Really Sell a 100 Million Copies?

You're probably right. I didn't know that.

Right, maybe they saw that guys article about Thriller not selling 100m and decided to teach him a lesson. This is just proof that Thriller sales continues.

Thriller has jumped to the top of the Billboard Catalog chart again (and it's not even Halloween!)
http://www.billboard.com/charts/catalog-albums

Also, after jumping into the Top40 UK album chart several weeks ago (#29), Number Ones slipped to #32 last week and continues it's survival at #35 this week.

http://www.officialcharts.com/albums-chart/

Does anybody know of any reason why both these albums have seen good sales gains?

A side point:
When I was visited this Official Charts company web page I noticed that for the section entitled 'All the number one albums' they have used a picture of MJ from the Dangerous Tour as the background behind the drop down box that allows you to select a year.
http://www.officialcharts.com/archive/music/

Because it's Michael Jackson. You should see..I keep going on sites that I would be willing to mention, and some that I wouldn't, and I keep seeing people using Michael's music as frontground music for their activites...music they purchased. They still love his music..I keep seeing the excitement in their eyes, their dancing around talking about him in glowing terms.

Thriller is a great album but not the greatest. I become angry when people talk all the time only about thriller. Michael has peaked lot of times after the thriller.. BAD, DANGEROUS, HISTORY, INVINCIBLE...There is not only ?hriller. And of course with OFF THE WALL before.

Last edited:

Does the Billboard hot 100 count digital/mp3 version of the album? i thougt it only count physical albums

Thriller is #61 on Billboard 200 this week, and #2 on the catalog chart. Very nice!

Thriller is a great album but not the greatest. I become angry when people talk all the time only about thriller. Michael has peaked lot of times after the thriller.. BAD, DANGEROUS, HISTORY, INVINCIBLE...There is not only ?hriller. And of course with OFF THE WALL before.

Yeh as much as i love that thiller is the biggest selling album of all time , i do too love bad, dangerous etc and i wish they would get more recognition

It is amazing how a 30 year old album can still dominate the charts. Proof that Michael Jackson's legacy and music will live on forever. No doubt. 50 years, 100 years, 200, etc. people will still listen to his music. I guarantee it.

I really wish Bad would be up there. In my opinion, it's a better record than Thriller. But all of his albums are masterpieces. :heart:

Off The Wall is great too. Personally I like it more than Thriller. Because I adore disco and this album is the epitome of the disco!!!!

the great thing about Michael's album Thriller is that it's not being helped by media. media is responding to general public. Again I was on a site where a girl was obsessively jostling back and forth between Billie Jean and Beat It and dancing like wild. Media is responding to constant sales, instead of media forcing an album down our throat. Not even Beethoven and Bach get this treatment by such a mass of the general public. Anywhere I go, randomly, I hear people blasting these MJ songs, on their own, without any coaching. I love it! It doesn't matter what people might say about him personally, I can't go anywhere, these days without hearing his music played consecutively by general public, these days...especially from Thriller. I don't even hear Beatles music this much. Or Prince..or anything else. I hear people in media during the super bowl saying what act they'd like to have the following year, as if to push it on us, and..I just smile.

I have mixed feeling about this. On one hand i'm very happy to see that people still have interest in Michael but on the other hand i'm disappointed that the interest is all on Thriller again. Yes Thriller is a great album but i do wish that more people would give his other albums a chance.

Michael hasn't topped Thriller in sales but i think he topped it artistically with Bad, Dangerous, HIStory and the first 5 songs on Blood On The Dance Floor.

A lot of people think that better sales = better album but that's not always the case

but we don't know what consumers are doing in secret. we hear outward that they play Thriller stuff in other peoples' sight, but, as we have learned from the thread in Michaelmania featuring a famous movie producer, people listen to 'unknown' MJ stuff in private.

Last edited:
That true.^^ Even me, every time some new Thriller package comes out, I will buy it because Thriller is iconic, but that does not mean I play songs from Thriller more than songs from the other albums. If people hear that an album is the bestseller of all time, they will want to have it, which is one of the reasons Thriller will be showing up more on these lists. Later, after they play the Thriller, they will be motivated to buy another Michael album. For me, when something is a new experience, I will always get the one people say is the best one, e.g., best hotel, best restaurant, best made shoes, best vegetables, best fruits. Likewise, the new Michael fan will want to get the one people say is the best too.

I guess if people want more promotion for the other albums, they could influence the estate on what to do for 25th anniversaries. Ask them to do something creative, like putting on a massive themed show with dangerous music, or something like that.

I think it's fantastic! Here is the billboard 200 of mostly current albums and Michael is at 61 with Thriller. Bad did get recognition this past year and we don't know what people are doing. I think it's slowly happening the recognition for Michael's other albums. The media just clouded people by focusing so much on Michael's personal life and not the work. The lied so much about Michael that it's clouded people's judgment.

You have the cirque de soleil shows that show music beyond Thriller. I have heard songs on the radio not from Thriller. I think in time little by little the cloud is lifting. It just takes time. I like to believe that.

It's very sad the 30th anniversary of OTW never happened...

Hope they will kame a 35th anniversary!!

One question out of topic - is it true Little Susie was written during the OTW periode? - if it is it would be so cool to hear demo versions from that time - SO many years prior to the 1995 version we have!

Back