THIS IS IT- biggest opening weekend?

I know we all want Michael's projects to do well but I have heard this for years. Everyone expects his projects to sell more then everyone like it is something that he has to do to validate his career. It doesnt matter how many people see it in the theaters. As long as it touches the people that he wants it to touch then that is all that matters. Numbers are just numbers at this point.

I know we all want Michael's projects to do well but I have heard this for years. Everyone expects his projects to sell more then everyone like it is something that he has to do to validate his career. It doesnt matter how many people see it in the theaters. As long as it touches the people that he wants it to touch then that is all that matters. Numbers are just numbers at this point.

Yeah, I agree. I think it is going to be very emotional experience and you are right, numbers do not matter. But, I do think that because of all the curiosity and positive publicity...people are curious. I'm talking about people who are interested of the history and what this movie actually is all about...Michael as an artist and a person. We are going to see other people than MJ fans there as well and I think that is great. But, mostly it is for fans and I think it was wonderful for AEG and others to do this.

Yeah, call me skeptical or whatever, but I just don't see this happening. I'm just trying to be realistic. Honestly, I'll sh*t a brick house if it enters the Top 5 or 10 biggest opening weekends of all time.

However, I CAN see This Is It becoming the highest grossing documentary film of all time, kicking Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 out of the #1 spot.

We'll see soon enough. I enjoyed tracking The Dark Knight's numbers last summer so I'll definitely be looking at the numbers This Is It puts out.

I agree.

Overall, I think it's a given that This Is It is going to do extremely well at the box office. No way will it do Dark Knight numbers, but for a documentary, this film is going to kick major ass.

I agree.

Overall, I think it's a given that This Is It is going to do extremely well at the box office. No way will it do Dark Knight numbers, but for a documentary, this film is going to kick major ass.

Well, it should! It's Michael f*cking Jackson! :D

I think the reason for tickets going on sale on 9/27/2009 Is to see how many people get tickets, and I think that if it is a sell out they, SONY will let it run longer. The movie house in my area has told me the do not know if they will be showing the movie, but if I have to go out of state to see TII I will...

I see it being in the top 5 movies for its first week of release but just think if This Is It does defy all expectations and reach #1 then I will be so happy for Michael.

I'm sure it will do well, but not sure how well. So many factors at work there. I'll definitely try to get tickets and go, because I really wanna see it on the big screen. I do think that once it hits DVD, then sales of that are likely to be quite incredible.

This Is It will be #1 for the debut weekend and my sources tell me that Sony is aiming for this. There are no big blockbuster movies coming out that week. If This Is It can gross north of $30 million US between Wednesday night and Sunday then I imagine Michael will have himself a #1 movie. Now if the movie was coming out November 20th and competing with Twilight's New Moon we might have a problem haha. But no worries, the movie will do very well. I actually believe that This Is It has an opportunity to go #1.

I guess this will depend on how many cinemas they actually release it to?!
Do we know if it will be everywhere or selected cinemas yet???
I emailed cineworld but got nothing back yet.
xxx

yeah, it will depend on how many cinemas they actually release it to

If only 1000 theaters screen this film

This Is It cannot beat the records.

If This Is It is a wide release with over 4000 theaters, I will think about the possibility

by the way, when This Is It comes out , is there any blockbuster film screening at the same time?

These are the highest grossing concert movies so far (USA only). Some of the older movies might be higher on the list if they had today's ticket prices. For example, "Rattle and Hum" in today's prices would have a higher gross than "U2 3D"

1 Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour $65,281,781 2/1/08
2 Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience $19,162,740 2/27/09
3 Madonna: Truth or Dare $15,012,935 5/10/91
4 U2 3D $10,208,866 1/23/08
5 U2: Rattle and Hum $8,600,823 11/4/88
6 Shine a Light (Rolling Stones) $5,505,267 4/4/08
7 Stop Making Sense (Talking Heads) $5,095,592 10/19/84
8 Sign O' the Times (Prince) $3,000,073 11/20/87
9 Neil Young: Heart of Gold $1,904,606 2/10/06
10 'N Sync: Bigger Than Live (IMAX) $1,808,679 2/2/01
11 Standing in the Shadows of Motown $1,722,119 11/15/02
12 Only the Strong Survive $57,581 5/9/03

I wonder if some people will buy the early sale tickets and then try to scalp them.

Well, I have no doubt this movie will do great at the box office. Advance ticket sales started in Jamaica today, so I'm gonna be sure to get my ticket for the Saturday screening.

You guys... last night i had watched the first critic review on youtube of This Is It by Dave @ Rabbit Studios and that made me very happy to hear such great reviews & thoughts about the movie. Then i was bored and thought I'd login my,myspace and i was looking through my friends profiles from my city,within a two day period just about everyone of my friends I have n my myspace that I went to high school with had put the This Is It Trailer on their myspace profile.. they're were a couple that really shocked me because i didn't even know they liked MJ.. so I thought that was a cool thing to see.. I guess there may be achance of me bumping int old high school friends on opening weekend.

You guys... last night i had watched the first critic review on youtube of This Is It by Dave @ Rabbit Studios and that made me very happy to hear such great reviews & thoughts about the movie. Then i was bored and thought I'd login my,myspace and i was looking through my friends profiles from my city,within a two day period just about everyone of my friends I have n my myspace that I went to high school with had put the This Is It Trailer on their myspace profile.. they're were a couple that really shocked me because i didn't even know they liked MJ.. so I thought that was a cool thing to see.. I guess there may be achance of me bumping int old high school friends on opening weekend.

cute story.

Back