The ‘YAY I JUST HEARD MICHAEL ON THE RADIO’ Thread

Heal the World at my local grocery store. Before this I did not even realize there is a radio on at the store. I was doing usual shopping and had this feeling that something is so familiar! Took me about a minute to realize that its Heal the world playing, very faint, looked for the speakers, stood under them to listen to it properly :)

Heal the World at my local grocery store. Before this I did not even realize there is a radio on at the store. I was doing usual shopping and had this feeling that something is so familiar! Took me about a minute to realize that its Heal the world playing, very faint, looked for the speakers, stood under them to listen to it properly :)
I reread this like three times before realizing you DIDN'T say you fainted when you heard the song. Jeez. I'm projecting lol.

In all seriousness, if I heard Heal the World in public like this I think I would absolutely start crying on the spot. I've grown such a huge appreciation for that song in recent months. I always thought it was lovely but I started seeking it out regularly a couple months ago and really connecting to it. But more than that, it's just not a song I would expect to hear while out so if I did it would pummel me. In the best way 😍

This is so me. I stop in my tracks when I hear MJ playing in public lol
God same, I usually hear the radio when I'm doing groceries and every time they play MJ I just can't help but at least mime along lol. I usually don't act outrageous or anything, but I definitely pick up on it!

I reread this like three times before realizing you DIDN'T say you fainted when you heard the song. Jeez. I'm projecting lol.
Haha, I probably would have fainted if I were standing under the speaker, but I was just busy straining to hear the song :D

A few days ago the weather was gorgeous and warm and I was driving with windows down. Normally, I am blasting MJ at full volume 99% of the time I'm driving so I just have generally no idea what's going on around me at any given point. But this time I was not driving alone, so my car was quiet and we were talking. As we sat in traffic, someone drove by with "Beat It" blasting out of their windows and I cannot even tell you how happy it made me. Ok, I'll try. I SCREAMED. That's my primary reaction to all things MJ. I screamed and I was so happy. Sometimes I really do forget other people listen to him too since I literally can't hear anyone else's music, ever.

Also, a few days before this, I went to a play. I was there 10 minutes early and they played a few covers of pop songs over the loud speakers as we waited for it to begin. One I did not know, one was a cover of a Lady Gaga song, and the last was a cover of Billie Jean.

No, neither of these are technically examples of hearing Michael on the radio. But both made me really, really happy just the same :)

@zinniabooklover thank you for listening. Last week my MJ pick was a mash up of TDCAU and Scream with a little bit of Bad. Next week ??? I'll let you decide :) a request moment.

I wish I left the house enough to hear music on the radio lol.
Do you mean listening to radio in the car? Cos I don't do that. I only ever listen when I'm at home.

Or listened to radio.
I don't listen to radio these days, tbh. @Seanc has got me on board just bc he plays Michael every week - although he does have an annoying habit of playing Janet as well.

FGS! :ROFLMAO:

It's weird, though. I don't know if I'm just conditioned to it but I'm convinced stuff sounds way better on the radio. Even if I have to listen to catch-up online, somehow it still sounds better. Listening to radio online vs. listening to YT online, they sound different to me. Maybe I'm just imagining it, I don't know!

There's an anecdote about Quincy as a producer. Apparently he was always going for the sound that would sound good on the radio. I totally understand that.

Y
Do you mean listening to radio in the car? Cos I don't do that. I only ever listen when I'm at home.

I don't listen to radio these days, tbh. @Seanc has got me on board just bc he plays Michael every week - although he does have an annoying habit of playing Janet as well.

It's weird, though. I don't know if I'm just conditioned to it but I'm convinced stuff sounds way better on the radio. Even if I have to listen to catch-up online, somehow it still sounds better. Listening to radio online vs. listening to YT online, they sound different to me. Maybe I'm just imagining it, I don't know!

There's an anecdote about Quincy as a producer. Apparently he was always going for the sound that would sound good on the radio. I totally understand that.
I've heard MJ on various live streams and TikToks. I haven't listened to radio in the car forever, unless my dad is driving. But I did sample Sirius XM plenty of times.

I know you're not a fan of hers, but I fail to see the problem! Lol. Maybe that's just me!

I'm not sure about radio vs. YouTube etc. due to streaming service compression and whatnot, but I definitely don't think radio sounds better than CD or even MP3. Even with clear reception, there's always an odd sort of "background noise" that's not present on CD or elsewhere. I can always tell when a song is playing on the radio vs. when it's from a CD/etc., and it's never in radio's favor. I'm not even close to being an audiophile, but I can still definitely tell. Not sure I'm alone in this, but yeah, it's part of why I don't favor it (plus I also simply like to have control over what I play vs. letting the radio decide for me).

I know you're not a fan of hers, but I fail to see the problem! Lol. Maybe that's just me!
There isn't a problem. Sean likes Janet's music and plays her every week - or so it seems. I don't like her music so I switch off whenever she comes on. But I was deploying a sarcastic tone for comic effect. Clearly it failed. Not the first time that's happened.

On Saturday I was 8-hours deep into a grading extravaganza at a local coffee shop and I was lamenting to a fan friend that I missed Michael because I hadn't listened to him in two days (that's all it takes) and I'm not kidding... immediately upon saying "I miss him, I just want to hear his voice" I heard his voice break through the atmosphere as "I Want You Back" came over the radio. I threw my hands in the air to rejoice! lol

On Saturday I was 8-hours deep into a grading extravaganza at a local coffee shop and I was lamenting to a fan friend that I missed Michael because I hadn't listened to him in two days (that's all it takes) and I'm not kidding... immediately upon saying "I miss him, I just want to hear his voice" I heard his voice break through the atmosphere as "I Want You Back" came over the radio. I threw my hands in the air to rejoice! lol
There is sorcery afoot! The best kind.

I love this story. :)

god is REAL

Smooth Radio’s Top 500 is back and it is time to vote!​

ByAdmin Team
March 14, 2023

Like every year, Smooth Radio is doing is Top 500 greatest songs.
Last year, Michael Jackson had 17 songs in the Top 500 which was the biggest play list for one solo artist.
It’s also the 10th annual countdown of Smooth’s All Time Top 500 countdown.
Across the early May Bank Holiday weekend (Friday, April 28th to Monday, May 1st), the Radio station will be counting down the greatest songs of all time, as chosen by listeners.
George Michael topped at #1 for 5 years in the row and it’s time for another Michael to be at the top with hopefully even more songs!
You have until 12pm on Monday, April 17th to get your votes in.

How to vote for Smooth’s All Time Top 500 2023

1. Download the FREE Global Player app
  2. Find Smooth on the “Live Radio” tab
  3. Tap the All Time Top 500 tile that says VOTE NOW
  4. Pick at least three, and up to 10, of your all time favourite songs from the suggestions – or suggest your own
  5. Enter your details and submit your vote!
Download Global Player from the Apple App Store
Download Global Player from Google Play (Android)

Coffee shop that only ever plays Jackson 5 is now playing "Rock with you"!

I (predictably) screamed when it started! I literally cannot contain my excitement. I never hear Michael on the radio! 😍

I finally heard one, wow!

Wanna Be Startin' Somethin was playing in the UPS Store. I almost couldn't help but break into dance.

For the first minute they were amused. By the end they were ready to call the cops, we had to get back to business.

Back