Calculated value per unit based on the formula: $18.57
#1. Songs In The Key Of Life - Stevie Wonder
Play Album
Year: 1976 Units Sold: 10 Million
SPV: $16.84 Rating (Stars): 5 Grammys Won: 2
Calculated value per unit based on the formula: $18.71

mike should have been #1

here is the link
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/yradish/15499/the-top-20-albums-of-all-time-for-real

Re: yahoo blog

did'nt the album won 8 grammys

Already posted in today's news thread 29 of July News and Mentionings

But rather than closing this thread let's make it the topic of the day.

topicday.gif
Topic of the Day
topicday.gif

What would you consider the right criteria to determine the top 20 albums of all Time?

and

Would you really rate Thriller as number 1? Should another MJ album have made the Top 20?

Discuss!! :kickass2:

Last edited:
It won't make any sense if you don't read the criteria the guy gave at the beggining of the list. You can read it over in the news thread.

Based on his criteria, almost all of Michael's albums should have made the list, actually, based on sales, and supposed logevity based on resale value.

That's true Dats ... so does that tell us that rock is the most popular kind of music? That more rockfans voted than any others? and if so how did Stevie Wonder end up number one? :p

Last edited:
:huh: :huh: @ the comments there. SOme ppl are ignorant beyond belief!

Hmmm... to start off, I wouldn't say that rock albums are the most loved by people, and I say that because there really is no actual truth to it, since it's subjective. some say rnb is the best genre, you got some who say rock is the best genre, yknow?

...Michael should have more in the top 20 :yes:

Isn't Thriller Mike's only album that has sold more than 10 million in the US? If so, then Thriller's the only MJ album that could qualify.

I think the SPV (average current second hand price) is not a very accurate measurement of an album's longevity, surely the album's position in the billboard catalogue charts every week since release would be better. The secondhand prices the chart maker haslisted are dubious in most cases and it has a big impact on the result.
top marks for trying though, it's good to see a chart where somebody has tried to remove opinions and rely on numbers and historical data alone

Thriller has 8 grammy, not 4...

It's a bit of a myth that Thriller won 8 grammys isn't it? One of them was for E.T storybook.
the guy making the chart only included grammys for the album itself, not singles or side projects so it may be accurate (I don't have a list of what Mike & Thriller actually won that night)

did'nt the album won 8 grammys
No, just 7. The other one was for the ET Storybook. I think these best lists are stupid anyway. There's probably been millions of different albums released since recorded music began. And I really doubt anyone has listened to all of them, lol.

Last edited:
What would you consider the right criteria to determine the top 20 albums of all Time?

I would consider the talent of the performer/musician. The quality of the album, the look of the album, the image. I would also consider the impact, the movement of the CD, the experiences of people who purchased the CD and the long lasting effect of the CD. For example, would it last 20 years after the released of the CD.

Would you really rate Thriller as number 1? Should another MJ album have made the Top 20?

I would rate Thriller as number one not because I am a fan and bias, also because of the impact. Thriller changed the way we hear music forever. No one was hyped and the hyped was believed, more than Michael. Michael was a TRUE star: he had the looks, the talent, the mystery and the ability to become a true legend. He had the entire ingredients. That CD truly made Michael to true King of music. He was admired by everyone. Others cds had the formula as well, but it was not the way MJ had for Thriller. Another CD that MJ made that should have been on tyhe top 20 was Dangerous. That CD was so popular, I can't even describe it. I think, to me, anyway, that CD would have been the second coming of Thriller. The 1990s was a new decade and the music industry was not as good as it once was. When MJ did Dangerous, just like Thriller, it changed the way that many people listen to music. The short films were awesome, he was too popular, and everyone bought the CD. Like Thriller, every song on that CD was very good. It was a different side of Michael that no one has ever seen before and people liked it. Dangerous, was one of the best selling CDs of the 1990s, worldwide.

My comment on the list - why was Led Zepplin on there twice? Isn't that a bit unfair? I have never heard of any of their songs. "Purple Rain" is not the only good CD that Prince has ever done, I know plenty of CDs that are way better than any of George Michael's cds. (Please, do not attack me GM fans, I like his songs.) Where are the hip hop acts? Where's Whitney and Madonna? I do not agree with the number one choice in a sense because I didn't see how that classic Stevie Wonder, who I just adore, cd can be number one. Yes, it could have been number 2 or 3 but number one? I want to know how these people created this list.

Happy that for one the Beatles are not in the Top 3 .

But sorry ...there is no woman on that stupid list .

none. successful albums are made because they're different and unique, as are their creators. you could ask an individual what their favourite album is (e.g. Thriller is far from my favourite spot lol), but you can't have an objective criteria for such a list.

i don't know why we have a need to rank everything
f_erm.gif

It's so wrong! Since when THRILLER won only 4 Grammies? LMAO!

It's a bit of a myth that Thriller won 8 grammys isn't it? One of them was for E.T storybook.
the guy making the chart only included grammys for the album itself, not singles or side projects so it may be accurate (I don't have a list of what Mike & Thriller actually won that night)

THRILLER:
ALBUM OF THE YEAR
BEST POP MALE VOCAL PERFORMANCE
BEST ENGINEERED RECORDING, NON-CLASSICAL (Bruce Swedien)
PRODUCER OF THE YEAR (MJ & Quincy)

Since MJ and Quincy produced one album only and the Grammys were still counting it, I'm gonna list "Producer of the Year" as the fourth Grammy for the Thriller album.

He won three more Grammys (Best R&B Male Vocal Performance, Best R&B Song and Best Rock Male Vocal Performance) for the album's singles.

The eighth Grammy was for the E.T. Storybook album.

It's a bit confusing why we sometimes credit all eight Grammys to "Thriller" when in essence, the actual album won four. So he actually made some sense there, believe it or not.

Last edited:
sheesh you guys the dissecting is crazy! lol...I think we mostly used to say Michael walked off with a whopping 8 Grammys that night and no doubt Thriller was the buzz album..Michael and Quincy's love child. Me thinks we are digressing..so lets leave it at that! :)

as for these lists...they become to redundant after awhile..every generation and each person has an album they rate above the rest for whatever reason and circumstance so this ultimately is yet another subkective list of somebody. I know the author of this list almost disguised the subjectivity through the use of some sort of mathematical like formula where by apparently he plugged in the numbers to get the list...but really I think it's all bollocks.

p. s - I would rate Thriller at Number 1 ofcourse and then Bad, Dangerous, History, Off The wall would follow...but thats just me :p

Grammy Award for Album 'Thriller '
Album Of The Year - Thriller
Best Engineered Recording, Non-Classical - Thriller (Bruce Swedien, engineer)
Producer Of The Year (Non-Classical) - Thriller (Michael Jackson/Quincy Jones)

Grammy Awards for Singles off of 'Thriller'
Record Of The Year - Beat It
Best Rock Vocal Performance, Male - Beat It
Best R&B Vocal Performance, Male - Billie Jean
Best Pop Vocal Performance, Male - Thriller
Best Rhythm & Blues Song - Billie Jean

Grammy Awards for non-Thriller related projects
Best Recording For Children - E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

Best Video Album - Making of Michael Jackson's Thriller

THRILLER:
ALBUM OF THE YEAR
BEST POP MALE VOCAL PERFORMANCE
BEST ENGINEERED RECORDING, NON-CLASSICAL (Bruce Swedien)
PRODUCER OF THE YEAR (MJ & Quincy)

Since MJ and Quincy produced one album only and the Grammys were still counting it, I'm gonna list "Producer of the Year" as the fourth Grammy for the Thriller album.

He won three more Grammys (Best R&B Male Vocal Performance, Best R&B Song and Best Rock Male Vocal Performance) for the album's singles.

The eighth Grammy was for the E.T. Storybook album.

It's a bit confusing why we sometimes credit all eight Grammys to "Thriller" when in essence, the actual album won four. So he actually made some sense there, believe it or not.

The ET one shouldn't count, but any grammys won for singles on the album should count.

As for the list, it's ok. However, I think Dark Side of the Moon is vastly overrated (as is Pink Floyd) and I'm apalled that Lynyrd Skynyrd didn't make the list.

Grammy Award for Album 'Thriller '
Album Of The Year - Thriller
Best Engineered Recording, Non-Classical - Thriller (Bruce Swedien, engineer)
Producer Of The Year (Non-Classical) - Thriller (Michael Jackson/Quincy Jones)

Grammy Awards for Singles off of 'Thriller'
Record Of The Year - Beat It
Best Rock Vocal Performance, Male - Beat It
Best R&B Vocal Performance, Male - Billie Jean
Best Pop Vocal Performance, Male - Thriller
Best Rhythm & Blues Song - Billie Jean

Grammy Awards for non-Thriller related projects
Best Recording For Children - E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

Best Video Album - Making of Michael Jackson's Thriller

Right, so Thriller did win 8. ET was the 9th.

That list does anyway make some sence since all the albums are good and well succeed and
there's no rihannabrowntimberlaketimbaland - albums.

I'm happy with it. I mean, Michael doesn't always have to be #1.. :unsure:

And this is just again one other list and it doesn't change anything really.

Last edited:
Back