THE SPECIAL FEATURES: A List

adamschoales

Proud Member
Anyone intereted in compiling a list of ALL the different special features out there, and what versions they can be found?

I'm actually quite ANGRY about this. I'm so sick of Sony doing this. I mean, if they had offered a 3-Disc Special Collectors Edition with EVERYTHING I would have bought it. But to have to buy 4 different versions just to get everything is absolutely RIDICULOUS.

Not to mention so far here in Canada the only versions I've seen are:
1 Disc DVD
1 Disc Bluray
2-Disc Bestbuy Exclusive Bluray
iTunes (with exclusive special feature).

I've bought the 1 disc DVD (would have bought the two disc but it was no where to be found... and I live in freakin' Toronto) and pre-ordered the Best Buy Bluray.

So... whos with me? A list of all the different features so we can start "trading"...

I'm so glad you're on this! I feel the same way.

Wal-Mart Limited Edition 2-Disc DVD

Features:

Disc One:

2 Making-Of Documentaries
- "Staging the Return: 2-Part Making-Of Documentary"

3 Featurettes:
- "The Gloved One"
- "Memories of Michael"
- "Auditions: Searching for the Worlds Best Dancers"

------------------------------------------------------

Disc Two:

Yeah for sure. I'll put something together.

I'll likely end up posting it to my blog aswell (with perhaps links to sources to purchase/acquire)

i'm confused now...................is it....in the uk anyway......a dvd with some special features and a blu ray with more special features

Thank you so much for this thread!!!
I am completely lost with with stuff. In Chile we have 3 versions:
1 DVD
2 DVD's (double special, etc.)
Blue Ray

I will check them, hopefull, this evening. But this is really insane. There must be some 10+ different versions, in different formats and countries.

They want to drive us crazy!! :angry:

well, I'm in Alberta here, and I have pre-ordered the BluRay version from Amazon, but I am going on my lunch break to buy the Special Limited Edition that is at Wal Mart...well, they have it on the website for my city anyways...So I'm assuming it's there...These are the only versions I will buy, probably...

Anyone intereted in compiling a list of ALL the different special features out there, and what versions they can be found?

I'm actually quite ANGRY about this. I'm so sick of Sony doing this. I mean, if they had offered a 3-Disc Special Collectors Edition with EVERYTHING I would have bought it. But to have to buy 4 different versions just to get everything is absolutely RIDICULOUS.

Not to mention so far here in Canada the only versions I've seen are:
1 Disc DVD
1 Disc Bluray
2-Disc Bestbuy Exclusive Bluray
iTunes (with exclusive special feature).

I've bought the 1 disc DVD (would have bought the two disc but it was no where to be found... and I live in freakin' Toronto) and pre-ordered the Best Buy Bluray.

So... whos with me? A list of all the different features so we can start "trading"...

Also in Canada, there is the Walmart exclusive limited edition 2 disc DVD..which I got. I watched the Dancing machine feature..and I really loved it. Travis discussed MJ performing Billie Jean for the last time...really great feature.

I will be watching the whole thing later tonight.

I also got the Best Buy excluvie Blu Ray.

PS I am in Montreal...and both Walmart & Best buy have huge displays for TII. They have the exclusives & the regular in great quatity. So I can't understand why you are in Toronto and can't get a 2-disc copy. Does not make sense to me at all.

We will get it in one moth :( but we will get more then you guys :D

First - it is unfair and not really to laugh about! ;)
Second - there won't be anything really special, either! No new rehearsals or anything...!

Also in Canada, there is the Walmart exclusive limited edition 2 disc DVD..which I got. I watched the Dancing machine feature..and I really loved it. Travis discussed MJ performing Billie Jean for the last time...really great feature.

Are you saying the Canadian 2-disc DVD edition features the "Dancing machine" featurette?

Are you saying the Canadian 2-disc DVD edition features the "Dancing machine" featurette?

No. I was referring to the Blu Ray.

The 2-disc DVD walmart exclusive has the "rehearsals"

Adam, I for one would be grateful if we can get all the BRD/DVD extras on one website to share for all to enjoy.

I ordered the Best Buy Blu-ray 2-disc edition online and am probably going to receive it some time this week. I paid $32 for that with tax. I'd love to buy the Wal-mart DVD special edition also. But that's an additional $25 plus tax and that's extra money that I don't have to spend on something that I am getting already. Know what I mean? It sucks big time that Sony is fleecing Michael's fan again.

Please keep us updated on how you proceed with this. :)

Thankyou sooo much for starting this thread.

I swore that I'd NEVER order 2 versions of TII...But i ended up buying all 3 versions

DVD disc 1
DVD disc 2
DVD/Bluray

I'm SOOOO Mad at my self for doing this. I'm sure gonna return the 1 Disc version. $ony really NEED TO GET A LIFE!:mello:

I dont know what more to say. Except that I'm really pisst at this situation...:angry:

L.O.V.E.
Romi

Last edited:
This is the breakdown as I see it:

USA

All DVD and Blu-Ray discs include:

1) 2-part Making of TII Documentary
2) The Gloved One- MJ's costumes
3) Memories of Michael
4) Dance Auditions

Wal-Mart 2-disc Limited Edition Extras:

1) "Meet the Dancers"
2) "Meet the Band"
3) "Meet the Vocalists"
4) "The Unfinished Rehearsals"

Best Buy 2-disc Blu-Ray Special Edition:

1) Dancing Machine
2) PSP download of TII movie

Extras that I am not sure which versions they come with (I think this is BRD specials, right? Not sure about Limited Edition DVD):

1) Thriller vignette
2) Smooth Criminal vignette
3) Making of the 'Smooth Criminal' featurette (this is different from the straight up SC featurette)
4) TII BD MovieIQ

Europe: Single-Disc Blu-ray Bonus Material (which has the most extras):
*Everything else is available on U.S. releases besides the following

1) Photo Gallery: 75 pictures from the rehearsals
3) Theatrical Trailer

I still think Europe has the best version because ALL of the specials and extras are on one BRD.

I had also heard that the 'TII' music video that Spike had made may be on some version of TII being released somewhere in the world. . . LOL!

Hope this info helps you organize, Adam!

Last edited:
I am totally confused on all the different editions/versions of the 2 disc DVD. The way I look at it, the Blu-Ray has only one version and these are just basically what you get on the Blu-ray regardless where you bought it (Asia, Africa, Europe, North America or South America) but on each country I guess they come with different packaging (plastic slip disk, regular white box, etc.) and with different freebies (example: free poster, free photo booklet, free 3D glasses etc...or nothing) I am highlighting in red the ones which those who bought the DVDs are looking for in the edition they bought. And I am highlighting in blue those features that are EXCLUSIVE ONLY ON BLU-RAY

Blu-ray Disc

• “Staging the Return: The Adventure Begins” Making-of Documentary
    This in-depth documentary reveals Michael Jackson’s unique, groundbreaking vision for his ambitious return to the stage, with director Kenny Ortega and the entire crew from This Is It.
  • “Staging the Return: Beyond the Show” Making-of Documentary
    Director Kenny Ortega and the crew of This Is It discuss Michael Jackson's final rehearsals, and the purpose behind creating the concert film.
  • “The Gloved One” Costumes Featurette
    Costume Designer Zaldy reveals the elaborate new costumes created for Michael Jackson to wear on the This Is It tour.
  • “Memories of Michael” Featurette
    Kenny Ortega and the crew of This Is It share personal stories about working with Michael Jackson, and how they will remember their friend.
  • “Auditions: Searching for the World's Best Dancers” Featurette
    A look at the high-stakes audition process, which began with over 5,000 applicants and ended with the selection of 11 exceptionally talented dancers.
  • “The Unfinished Rehearsals” Featurette
    Kenny Ortega and Production Designer Michael Cotten reveal two show-stopping concepts for This Is It which never made it to the big screen.
  • Theatrical Trailer
these are the extras you get on a Blu-Ray

• Meet the Dancers--Meet each of the 11 dancers chosen among thousands to dance with Michael Jackson on his This Is It tour.
  • Meet the Band--Go behind the scenes with the band members chosen to perform on the This Is It tour with Michael Jackson
  • Meet the Vocalists
    Go behind the scenes with the vocalists selected to sing with Michael Jackson on the This Is It Tour
  • “Dancing Machine’ featurette--Choreographer Travis Payne discusses collaborating with dancing legend Michael Jackson on the choreography for his This Is It tour.
  • Photo Gallery with 75 insider photos from the rehearsals
  • BD Exclusive: “Smooth Criminal” Vignette
    The full-length vignette starring Michael Jackson which was to be shown before the performance of “Smooth Criminal” at the This Is It concert.
  • BD Exclusive: “Making ‘Smooth Criminal’” Featurette
    An in-depth, behind-the-scenes look at the groundbreaking production of the new “Smooth Criminal” film created for This Is It.
  • BD Exclusive: “Thriller” Vignette
    The full-length vignette which was to be shown during the performance of “Thriller” at the This Is It concert.
  • BD Exclusive: movieIQ: connects you to access real-time information on the cast, music, trivia and more while watching the movie! Also includes the "This Is It" interactive playlist where you can bookmark your favourite songs featured in the film and email yourself a customized playlist!
I have the ASIAN/Philippine editions of the 2 disc DVD. Glad we only have two versions of them in the Philippines, because the TWO DISC DVD versions is where all the confusion is coming because of the extra features and freebies each 2 disc DVD version has.

But anyway, here's ours.

NAME: 2 DISC DVD WITH special packaging

Disc One:

Staging the Return--The Adventure Begins making of a Documentary
Staging the Return--Beyond the Show making of a Documentary
The Gloved One featurette
Memories of Michael
Auditions: Searching for the World's Best Dancers featurette
Theatrical Trailer

Disc Two:

Meet the Dancers
Meet the Band
Meet the Vocalists
Dancing Machine featurette
This Is It Photo Collection

Freebies that come with it: NONE

and below is its packaging:

20049_104980312854348_100000271401468_121569_5752580_n.jpg

and here goes the other version that we have here for the 2 DISC DVD.

NAME: 2 DISC SPECIAL EDITION

Disc One:

Staging the Return--The Adventure Begins making of a Documentary
Staging the Return--Beyond the Show making of a Documentary
The Gloved One featurette
Memories of Michael
Auditions: Searching for the World's Best Dancers featurette
Theatrical Trailer

Disc Two:

Meet the Dancers
Meet the Band
Meet the Vocalists

Freebies that come with it:
-20 page THIS IS IT photo booklet
- one lenticular O2 VIP Pass

20049_104980422854337_100000271401468_121571_6360937_n.jpg

Hope that helps. I suggest you follow the format I made above so we can check it easily. Plus for those in the US, Canada or Europe indicate in the name of the store/website where you bought and which country, example:

NAME: 2 DISC LIMITED EDITION (WAL-MART US)

or

NAME: 2 DISC SPECIAL EDITION (amazon.com.uk)

and please don't forget to put the freebies that come with it (as the others would also love to know that) If you have photos of the DVDs and the freebies you may post it too though that will be optional.

Well, that is just a suggestion so we can help each other out pick out the one we think is best for us especially if its available in our location.

Thanks!

Have a great day everyone!:)

Last edited:
I still think Europe has the best version because ALL of the specials and extras are on one BRD.
So the blu-ray is the best buy for me as I live in Europe, right?
And the specials will be on all blu-rays and not just the German one??

And what is the best dvd in Europe, the 2-disc special edition or collector's edition or whatever it's called??

So the blu-ray is the best buy for me as I live in Europe, right?
And the specials will be on all blu-rays and not just the German one??

And what is the best dvd in Europe, the 2-disc special edition or collector's edition or whatever it's called??

Ifyou look at Liberian Girl's post right above yours, her blu-ray description is what I have seen as the European Blu-ray edition. Personally, I don't think you should pre-order and wait until it comes out and go to the store and look at the physical product to see what you get.

I pre-ordered from Amazon last month, but I am going to return that one because it doesn't have any added value. I ended up ordering the Best Buy Blu-ray package with the extra bonus disc. I would have ordered the Best Buy one first if I had known it was coming with a bonus disc. They did not promote that until this week's sales ads. The amazon one is almost $10 cheaper, that's why I went for that one.

This is the breakdown as I see it:

USA

All DVD and Blu-Ray discs include:

1) 2-part Making of TII Documentary
2) The Gloved One- MJ's costumes
3) Memories of Michael
4) Dance Auditions

Wal-Mart 2-disc Limited Edition Extras:

1) "Meet the Dancers"
2) "Meet the Band"
3) "Meet the Vocalists"
4) "The Unfinished Rehearsals"

Best Buy 2-disc Blu-Ray Special Edition:

1) Dancing Machine
2) PSP download of TII movie

Extras that I am not sure which versions they come with (I think this is BRD specials, right? Not sure about Limited Edition DVD):

1) Thriller vignette
2) Smooth Criminal vignette
3) Making of the 'Smooth Criminal' featurette (this is different from the straight up SC featurette)
4) TII BD MovieIQ

Europe: Single-Disc Blu-ray Bonus Material (which has the most extras):
*Everything else is available on U.S. releases besides the following

1) Photo Gallery: 75 pictures from the rehearsals
3) Theatrical Trailer

I had also heard that the 'TII' music video that Spike had made may be on some version of TII being released somewhere in the world. . . LOL!

Hope this info helps you organize, Adam!

Thank you for starting this thread Adam. Also, thanks for this post Elmari. I really hate that the US Blu-ray version doesn't have 'The Unfinished Rehearsals.' I might have to buy the 2 Disc DVD and the 2 Disc Blu-ray. I would rather just get the blu-ray. I could do without 'Meet the Dancers, Band and Vocalists' if we could get 'The Unfinished Rehearsals' on Blu-Ray. I also wouldn't be surprised if they release a big 'Special Edition' with everything later on. :smilerolleyes:

I'm from Mexico. I got Blu Ray and DVD (2 disc special edition)

The featurettes included in each version are these:

DVD SP

Disc One:

2 Making-Of Documentaries
- "Staging the Return: 2-Part Making-Of Documentary"

3 Featurettes:
- "The Gloved One"
- "Memories of Michael"
- "Auditions: Searching for the Worlds Best Dancers"

- "Movie Trailers"

Disc Two:

5 Featurettes:
- "Dancing Machine"
- "Michael Jackson's This Is It Picture Collection"
- "Meet the Dancers"
- "Meet the Band"
- "Meet the Vocalists"

Blu Ray

All of above plus:

- Thriller vignette
- Smooth Criminal vignette
- Making of Smooth Criminal
- Movie IQ

I don't care. I feel duped. Screw you Sony.

Like many others, I bought a blu-ray player JUST FOR THIS Blu-Ray DVD

I don't have the Dancing Machine featurette and I refuse to plunk down another set of cash just to view an additional fifteen minutes of it. The story was that the Blu-ray would have the most features...now it's something different. I'm sorry, I've been duped.

I will dupe back to Sony and just burn the fifteen minutes of Dancing Machine for myself.

With love, all for love! ::storms out of thread:: >:|

I agree with you 100%. I think we should all write to Sony and complain but even doing that won't matter. I mean the fact is that many of the fans fell into their trap. People have bought multiple copies. People have purchased blu ray copies with the intention of now getting blu rays.

I almost feel like the fans should organize something to let Sony know we don't appreciare this treatment. Remember when all the fans on this board rallied to get flowers for MJ's defense team? I feel like the fans from some of the various boards (Max Jax, MJFC KOP) should get together and do the same thing. Donate money to take a out a newspaper ad or an add in Variety (huge entertainment paper in the US) to express our discontentment. I feel like the add should say F*CK you Sony but then again I feel like it'd be more professional to say something a little less "colorful".

Last edited:
I agree with everyone here about Sony screwing us over in a lot of ways...However, I was just watching some of the special features, again...I watched Staging the Return - Beyond the Show, and it never ceases to get me quite emotional, I was balling my eyes out, and it's the same everytime...and then I realize....in the long run, the BIG picture was the fact that I feel HONOURED that I was able to see what Michael had in store for This Is It....And, to this day, from the first moment I saw TII on Oct 28, I still see it as a glimpse into his brilliant mind and I still cannot wrap my head around that..What we were able to witness is nothing short of incredible...And, I'll never forget it....I would have never been able to see him in London, so this is the next best thing for me..Witnessing ANYTHING that Michael has created is breathtaking and an honour to me...It's like witnessing a miracle of nature, never to be seen again...Michael was a miracle to me, and I'll always be grateful that he could share himself with us as a musician and an artistic genius, and all in all, an amazing human being....I think this is what we all need to remember..

Last edited:
Man this is so confusing! There are SO MANY versions! And with stuff thats exclusive to certain COUNTRIES!?

WHAT IS THIS!?

I'm so sick of Sony and their crap. Obviously they're going to screw us by double dipping in the future.

Seriously though: if they had put out a $60 DVD/Bluray combo with EVERYTHING i'd have bought it without hesitation. But to have to buy SEVERAL is just rediculous.

Now I have to try and track down the 2 Disc DVD which APPARENTLY is available in Canada now? Ugh...

Feel free to PM me to discuss how we can "trade" features.

im from the bay area in cali!

on the 26th i went to WALMART and bought the 2-disc DVD (black cover) and then drove to BEST BUY and bought the 2-disc BLURAY... so i officially have ALL of the special features released/available in the USA...

-Dal

im from the bay area in cali!

on the 26th i went to WALMART and bought the 2-disc DVD (black cover) and then drove to BEST BUY and bought the 2-disc BLURAY... so i officially have ALL of the special features released/available in the USA...

-Dal

I have the exact same thing...:cheeky:

what about "the musical experience" that was available to people who bought it on itunes? what was that all about? never saw it but i am dying to see the interview where bearden says that michael said cutting a verse out of YANA would "kill the girls"

where can i see THAT?

Back