The reason why Sony didn't make a Live-CD Soundtrack

chocomarker

Proud Member
because he didn't truely sing "live" at all times (earth song for example, where sony used samples from the earth song demo and cleverly edited them into the movie) they didn't want to release a live-CD soundtrack, especially after the "this is it" single PR disaster which eliminated many people's anticipation for the movie, after hearing "this is it" they thought the movie would simply be some "old" stuff, just like the single.

up to now there are still many people, who don't know what this movie is about and think that its a cheap sony cash in. to release the soundtrack in advance to the movie would have then resulted in people finding out that it's not entirely live and would've caused even more of a stir. coz then people would've thought this whole thing is truely just a scam...

Seems like there should have been enough for an editing team to make one. The movie alone offers almost enough for a live album.

I guess I can understand their position though, reaction would have been split on a live album without 100% live vocals. We'll have to settle with using DVD footage to make the album.

They still could of released it as a live instrumental like other movies. That would still be much better than the current one.

Thete is a big missunderstanding here : Sony had nothing to do with the creation of te "soundtrack" except that they distributed and promoted it.

AEG (supported by the Estate) came with that tracklisting.
The sle reason why they did not release the "live" versions is that most of them were not good enough to make it on a CD i.e audio experience : too much tracks with playback tracks and also take into account the fact that this is rehearal footage and that the original sound of severl songs is inauduble at times.
It took AEG and the estate a lot of time tio edit the sound and fill the gaps.
WE fans have noticed the use of the demo tracks to replace some missing vocals (and the use if thsoe tapes is clearly mentioned in the end credits).

AEG could not do more, and, again, this soundtrack is just a "goodie". So it should be considered for just what it is. The main product remains the DVD and its bonuses (especially the bluray edition).

Michael is nomitaned at AMA 2009 for Number Ones, that says it all doesn't it ?

None of that is true.....

....Sony just went for the easiest job possible!!!!

A live instrumental soundtrack would be just perfect for me. They could even record the band after MJ's passing, I don't care.

yeah hearing songs live is one of the many great things about the film

yeah hearing songs live is one of the many great things about the film

I hate listening to live renditions played by some random musicians because they're crap most of the time. And TII live music has the MJ touch, same as the originals created in the studio, so I'd love to hear every little detail they created and worked on during the rehearsals... on a proper audio release. Shame it won't happen.

Damn, yeah you're right, but for the last time...Earth song in TII was completely LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still think they only used Earth Song. Human Nature, Billie Jean and parts of Smooth Criminal were LIVE.

The Rolling Stones released a Live Soundtrack album after 'Shine A Light' film. Sony/AEG could've done the same IMO.

I'm still angry at them not releasing the single. If it had gone Number One, then that would mean Mike has had at least one chart-topper every decade since the 60s :)

It would be a CRIME if they do NOT release a LIVE album.

9876 greatest hits compilations have been released with the same songs over and over again!

The fans need, and deserve something new and something cool! A live album from TII would be fantastic! I would hear it ALL the time! And so would many I thnk!

It would be a CRIME if they do NOT release a LIVE album.

9876 greatest hits compilations have been released with the same songs over and over again!

The fans need, and deserve something new and something cool! A live album from TII would be fantastic! I would hear it ALL the time! And so would many I thnk!

LOL !
but they just CAN'T !
They don't have enough material to do so.

A live album derived from the Bad Tour would be better.
TII were just rehearsals, nothing else.

I still think they only used Earth Song. Human Nature, Billie Jean and parts of Smooth Criminal were LIVE.

The Rolling Stones released a Live Soundtrack album after 'Shine A Light' film. Sony/AEG could've done the same IMO.

I'm still angry at them not releasing the single. If it had gone Number One, then that would mean Mike has had at least one chart-topper every decade since the 60s :)

SHINE A LIGHT was a polished and full concert.
TII is just about rehearsals. Thus, they can't produce such an album.

Poster you are wrong....

The reason is simple: Sony didn't own any new material from Jackson. Live recordings woudl be considered new and they only have rights to the recorded versions, pre 2003.

Which label does own the recordings Michael did efter 2003? Or is it the estate who owns his recording now?

the estate owns them mjs contract with sony ended in 03.

Which label does own the recordings Michael did efter 2003? Or is it the estate who owns his recording now?

Michael had everything, so the recordings, on whatever format, are owned by the estate now. Honestly I think lots of recordings from before 2003 were in Michael's hands too and if they were never handled to Sony in any form, it's more than likely they will never be... But it's just the demo stuff probably, as the most finished tracks were considered for albums and therefore had to be heard by Sony executives.

cotrrect, but at the same time, Michael kept on renegociating with Sony to release new stuff since 2003.
Thriller 25 was a first step to a new effective collaboration beteween them.

I think that it is also the fact that the cinema owners would get angry if Sony was selling what is the main part of the film - Michael's voice!!!!!!!!!

I've never heard of anybody releasing an album of rehearsals. Live albums are recorded from actual concerts.

They should have gone with the live cd idea. Michael's voice is phenomenal and I just love the live sound especially smooth criminal and billie jean. I was blown away by MJ's voice, as usual. I need that cd now!

I think they still could have made a live album even though it wouldn't have been the same as it would have been as a live show with the crowd interaction. It would have easily jumped to #1 on the charts.

Thete is a big missunderstanding here : Sony had nothing to do with the creation of te "soundtrack" except that they distributed and promoted it.

AEG (supported by the Estate) came with that tracklisting.
The sle reason why they did not release the "live" versions is that most of them were not good enough to make it on a CD i.e audio experience : too much tracks with playback tracks and also take into account the fact that this is rehearal footage and that the original sound of severl songs is inauduble at times.
It took AEG and the estate a lot of time tio edit the sound and fill the gaps.
WE fans have noticed the use of the demo tracks to replace some missing vocals (and the use if thsoe tapes is clearly mentioned in the end credits).

AEG could not do more, and, again, this soundtrack is just a "goodie". So it should be considered for just what it is. The main product remains the DVD and its bonuses (especially the bluray edition).

Michael is nomitaned at AMA 2009 for Number Ones, that says it all doesn't it ?

Yes there were four songs at least partially play-backed(as opposed to lip-synced). parts of Billie Jean, the end of Earth Song, bits and pieces of Thriller, and a segment of Man In The Mirror. The rest of the film was 100% Live and raw(a.k.a. unedited)!

Plus they got tons of other rehearsal footage in their retrieval. Of those four rehearsals, I strongly believe the film would've exceeded the cinemas time limit. Had Sony added them to the big screens.

I believe that Sony will never release an Live soundtrack of TII.

They want people to buy the DVD. Because remember, this is a film. That's what they are interested in. The idea of a live soundtrack, that probably could sell, doesn't interest them.
It's all about the film.

The official soundtrack was purely there to create anticipation and support for the film. Nothing else. It encourages them to watch the film, or buy the DVD.

Once the DVD has been released, they will probably release something else FOR THE FILM, like a Special Unseen Edition of it, not a live soundtrack. It's too exclusive that it breaks focus from the film.

kk sony I'll just be ripping the audio from the bluray myself.

And I'm sure a good majority of the people on this forum will be as well.

Back