The original intended cover

felipemj

Proud Member
This was the original intended cover to Bad. They decided not to release it because was "too afeminate"
Michael+Jackson.jpg

I see that, in a bad way, as the turning point of Michael's career. The 2 options for covers said
1)I'm an artist(the pretered)
2)I'm extravagant(the choosen one)

what do you guys think? could't have been a better artwork with the original idea? what do you prefer?

I'm very happy with what the BAD cover is, it couldn't be more simple yet perfect. :happy:

Having said that, I like this photo, and the reason they didn't choose it, is no reason at all, who really cares whether it's "too effeminate"… Michael is about being unique and different. :heart:

I'm glad this isn't the cover of Bad... it's a nice picture, but shamone, it has NOTHING to do with BAD.

Here is a rare Photo, the alternativ the former never published BAD Cover Version.
He loved the Iconic Photo, Gloria Swanson by Edward Steichen so much and want it too.

Gloria Swanson - 1935, photographed by Edward Steichen and a portrait of Michael Jackson by Greg Gorman - 1987
badcoveralternativversi.jpg

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

I love the current Bad album cover as it is. I do think the new photo posted is nice, but it doesn't correctly represent what the album is. The album is big, funky dance songs, for the most part. The current album cover depicts that perfectly. This pic should be used on the back of the album booklet for Bad 25 though. Open the album, right next to the CD, BAM! Creative MJ! :)

That's a nice picture, and it's unique, but I think they made the right choice by choosing the BAD picture the way it is now. The picture they have now represents the BAD album, the picture here doesn't, but it's still a nice picture that belongs in a photo album of MJ

this cover really fits more with '' Dangerous '' Or '' Blood On The Dancefloor ''. Kinda eerie, awesome

Michael sent that picture to Epic knowing full well that they would refuse it so when he offered his "2nd choice", Epic would choose that and Michael got what he wanted. It was never really intended to be the album cover.

hey toivonen, thank you very much! Many usefull information! I tought that would be the artistic and creative one, but, as you showed, not so creative. Anyway, the released wasn't creative either
Gary_Numan__Warriors.jpeg

Michael sent that picture to Epic knowing full well that they would refuse it so when he offered his "2nd choice", Epic would choose that and Michael got what he wanted. It was never really intended to be the album cover.

where have you read that?

I think one is a bit too strongly emotional and artistic and the other is a bit too corny looking but overall I prefer the cover that ended up being on the album.It's a very powerful cover that fits the tone of the album well.

^^ I heard that before too...can't remember where though...

Sounds like a sneaky move Mike would pull off though :shifty: lol

^^ I know...It's neat to see where Michael's inspirations come from :yes:

I'm glad they didn't use it. The current Bad cover was the best choice.

MJ's version of this picture kinda looks like something Prince would have tried. And I agree with what a poster said earlier...this looks more like Dangerous era then Bad.

I really :heart: that piccie... I just look past the 'lace' thingy and get lost in his eyes :blush:

Indeed, the BAD cover as it is NOW looks better... More BAD heehee :cheeky:

Actually, the lace photos and the photos with the spider ARE from the same photoshoot. Greg Gorman photoshoot September 1986 along with the picture on the back of the Bad album

I love the pictures from this photoshoot :) It would work well as a cover to an art/photobook

How do you know that so sure?
There was an article about Gorman and his gallery about a year ago. His shoot Michael was in September '86 and the result were the photos with the lace and the spider. I'm sure the photos that were used on the back of the bad album cover and I Just Can't Stop Loving You single cover are from the same shoot (or one close to it)

There was an article about Gorman and his gallery about a year ago. His shoot Michael was in September '86 and the result were the photos with the lace and the spider. I'm sure the photos that were used on the back of the bad album cover and I Just Can't Stop Loving You single cover are from the same shoot (or one close to it)

Hmmm...
ok, do you still have a link to the article? Just interested...

I really L.O.V.E the current BAD album cover..
It's so SEXXYY!! {BAD is my first Favourite album (2nd INVINCIBLE)}
L.O.V.E the artistic one too!
Whoever says it was effeminate is a effeminate himself!!

It´s an absolutely beautiful picture with those mesmerizing eyes of his!! :wub: I still think the chosen photo fitted better for the album cover though.

I am happy they used the picture they did.

Its a nice cover but does not suit the album. I am glad it was not used. I prefer what they actually used. It really suits the bad theme

Back