The Magic, the Madness, the Whole Story

I don't believe Michael ever bleached his skin, and don't believe he caused his vitiligo. I think Michael would be the type of person who would be scared to use skin bleaching creams, because as the cream burns the skin to make it lighter. I would presume it would more likely cause skin cancer, and not vitiligo. And it is a fact Michael didn't have skin cancer.

Photos of MJ from the 80s show the typical patchy depigmentation seen in vitiligo. I agree with you and am 100% sure it was part of the clinical condition rather than Michael initiating it by 'bleaching his skin'. When vitiligo patches become extensive which is clearly far more noticeable in those with darker skins, and when other more conservative treatments fail, depigmentation treatment may be considered which is quite an undertaking both physically and psychologically as one might imagine. Tubes of hydroquinone/benoquin - creams used to manage extensive vitiligo by depigmenting the remaining dark patches of skin were found amongst MJs medication as listed in the coroners report.

You're right - the creams can burn when applied but the fact the skin subsequently has no pigment/melanin means it is at greater risk of burning when exposed to the sun which of course is a risk factor for skin cancer, hence MJ rarely going out without some form of sun protection. Discoid lupus can be exacerbated by sun exposure too. It breaks my heart that he had to deal with this on top of all the other abuse and manipulation discussed earlier in this thread :cry:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1068962-treatment

There is no proof of chemically induced Vitiligo, so how stupid of RT! No one can give themselves Vitiligo with lighting creams that are temporary in the first place! Once you stop using it your regular color will come back! Some of those creams are given to people with Vitiligo to help them look like they have an even skin tone and that's it! Same can be done with makeup!

Last edited:
i just started reading this book it seems quite good actually hopefully its not biased

I have the Magic, Madness, Whole story: 1958-2009. At first I enjoyed reading the book, however I was disappointed toward the end. Tarraborelli makes it seem as if they were BFF's, only by saying he wrote articles like, "Michael turns 20... Michael turns 21... Michael turns 25... Michael turns 30.... Michael turns 50...".

Tarraborelli just skimmed over Michael's music, tours, and his children. I thought I was gonna be reading more about Michael's creativity, inspiration, love, and so forth since tarraborelli claims to be the all knowing Jackson expert. Oh well.

Tarraborelli has been written so many books about famous people. As far as I know the he only have one picture with him and Michael and it's around Off The Wall area, so I don't give much for all his stories.

The first edition is really good and fair. I liked it better than Moonwalk. There was a little too much guessing in the first edition and it sounds like JRT got a little careless with that in the later editions.

Moonwalk is Michaels own words and therefor mor trustful. I wish that he could write a new book, there must be many interesting things to read about.

Big chunks read like fan fiction. The kind of of fan fiction that portrays Michael as some kind of brilliant genius, that is largely effed up in the head.

If you consider that a fair biography- then ask yourself if you would want YOUR life and your marriage(s) being described with that much 'poetic license'.

Many biographies of composers and musicians read perfectly 'fluent' despite the lack of made up embellishment to keep the attention of the reader.

I will freely admit that I also can't get over the fact of having seen Taraborelli in Jaques Perretti's (spelling?) "What really happened".
^^^One of the most vicious things I have EVER seen on any human being. A number of people seem to have a love/hate/fascination going on with MJ and that certainly translates into their work. It makes me wonder how many books have been written about Michael Jackson by authors, who are dealing with rejection/never having gotten into his inner circle.

Somebody wrote that it is most obvious that Taraborelli loves and defends MJ. That to me would be the kind of love of someone who says "I love you" while talking behind your back about your stench of mothballs while you're in for the fight of your life?? Really, I would ran faster than I can type 'run' from that kind of 'love'.

I'll stick with Aphrodite Jones, Michael's 'Dancing the Dream' and Bruce Swedien's "In the Studio with Michael Jackson".

Nobody's perfect- but there's a difference between acknowledging that nobody's perfect, and holding a magnifying glass onto your every move.

There's also a difference between keeping it real and humiliating someone.
Feeling uneasy with this book also doesn't translate to viewing MJ as some kind of infallible angel. And often I feel that people attempt to get MJ off their own perceived 'larger than life' pedestal by way of meanness.
Imagine a biographer begging your ex spouse for information on you- how would you feel? Makes me shake my head.

I'm also left wondering if people try to prove their nonbias- usually this kind of proving their nonbias ends up
to be something at the repeated expense of MJ. If you do not think him to be a pedophile- state that up front. DO NOT ADD INNUENDO to a person who has been incredibly hurt by this BS. From Aphrodite Jones (at least she changed her mind, but seeing her speak in "The Trials of MJ" was heart breaking) to Larry Nimmer and Taraborelli- do not use these allegations as a storyline to keep readers/viewers interested. EVER.
Thank God I don't have biographers dissecting my every move. People would scream at the top of their lungs if they were presented with only half as much scrutiny about THEIR lives as Michael still is.

Last edited:
i just started reading this book it seems quite good actually hopefully its not biased

It has to sell somehow, and if Aphrodite Jones taught us anything, it's that fair and unbiased books on Michael Jackson do not sell among the general masses [meaining non-MJ fans, but people who are interested in the tabloid trash, which unfortunately for us, most people are.] If Diane Dimond taught us anything, it's that poisonous concoctions of lies make a fair amount of cash for those involved.

Yeah, I agree that the poetic license was a problem, but the first edition was pre-allegation/marriages, so it didn't strike me as being that bad. As far as dissecting his every move goes, that's kind of what all biographies are about. Searching for the motivations for a person's decisions is the opposite of just dismissing them as crazy. It's an attempt to find the inner logic driving them. The result is a more 3D/tangible sense of a person. You can find that sort of thing to some extent in the biography of any major public/historical figure. Obviously, it's a good idea to read biographies like that written by different authors so you're not just dealing with the biases of one writer.

Bruce Swedien's book is a totally different kind of thing . . . more interesting with respect to music, but not a biography. I haven't read Aphrodite Jones' book, but I thought it was just about the allegations/trial and not his whole life. I tend to avoid anything allegation-related, even if it's pro-MJ, just because it really bothers me that two allegations come across as being more important than four decades of music and philanthropic work. The more you talk about he allegations, the more people think that there were lots of kids accusing him every year, when in reality it was two cases 10 years apart. I guess that Jones book might be worth reading though.

Back