1938 -

What was the top movie in 1938?

highest grossing flims of 1938
  • Boys Town (1938) ...
  • Alexander's Ragtime Band (1938) ...
  • Sweethearts (1938) ...
  • Marie Antoinette (1938) ...
  • Four's a Crowd (1938) Approved | 93 min | Comedy/

Ah, I see now. We have something (very) similar, albeit I would say it’s more of an interjection used for drawing somebody’s attention to yourself. We spell it ‘hoho,’ sometimes with a hyphen.

Haven’t English got this one, too? I seem to recall Michael using it when he was on a shopping spree in Living with.

It’s really just an imitation of a Strix aluco (kattuggla), when you think about it.

Edit: Or perhaps it’s a Cuculus canorus (gök)?
who dat? :)

Jesus bleibet meine Freude,
Meines Herzens Trost und Saft,
Jesus wehret allem Leide,
Er ist meines Lebens Kraft,
Meiner Augen Lust und Sonne,
Meiner Seele Schatz und Wonne;
Darum lass’ ich Jesum nicht,
Aus dem Herzen und Gesicht.
:love:

whos that?

whats that?
Georg Riedel (not “George,” as I erroneusly wrote upthread) is a big name in Sweden. He wrote the music for all of the television and movie productions based on Astrid Lindgren’s books. He also was a very skilled musician, playing with Quincy Jones during that time Quincy lived here.

1938 -

What was the top movie in 1938?

highest grossing flims of 1938
  • Boys Town (1938) ...
  • Alexander's Ragtime Band (1938) ...
  • Sweethearts (1938) ...
  • Marie Antoinette (1938) ...
  • Four's a Crowd (1938) Approved | 93 min | Comedy/
Why have you remarked “approved” after the last one? Is it the only one out of the bunch that you have seen? Is that also why you’ve put ellipses after the other titles, or is that because you’ve yet to clock their running time? Because you’ve obvously clocked the bottom-entry.

The solidus keeps me hanging.

kattuggla.jpg

Strix aluco (kattuggla)

gok-artikeln-bister.jpg

Cuculus canorus (gök)

Bist du bei mir, geh ich mit Freuden
zum Sterben und zu meiner Ruh.
Ach, wie vergnügt wär so mein Ende,
es drückten deine schönen Hände
mir die getreuen Augen zu.

Nähe des Geliebten​

Ich denke dein, wenn mir der Sonne Schimmer
vom Meere strahlt;
Ich denke dein, wenn sich des Mondes Flimmer
In Quellen malt.
Ich sehe dich, wenn auf dem fernen Wege
Der Staub sich hebt;
In tiefer Nacht, wenn auf dem schmalen Stege
Der Wandrer bebt.

Ich höre dich, wenn dort mit dumpfem Rauschen
Die Welle steigt.
Im stillen Haine geh' ich oft zu lauschen,
Wenn alles schweigt.

Ich bin bei dir; du seist auch noch so ferne,
Du bist mir nah!
Die Sonne sinkt, bald leuchten mir die Sterne.
O, wärst du da!

(Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)​

Lagrimas_-_Fusionadas.jpg

No love for the capirotes?

“A capirote is a Catholic pointed hat of conical form that is used in Spain and Hispanic countries”

Are you perhaps saying, that it reminds you of something else?

113B68A477AA4D32984982EC70C51B24.JPEG

Ingmar Bergman and the ensemble of “Till främmande hamn,” 1938

Skottdagen​

Ett normalt år har 365 dagar, vart fjärde 366. Det är skottdagen som då skjuts in i almanackan, där den återfinns som 29 februari. Ingen har namnsdag. Dagen heter kort och gott ”skottdagen;” förledet ’skott’ kommer av att dagen är ”inskjuten”.

What happens if you happen to be born February 29?

Skottdagen​

Ett normalt år har 365 dagar, vart fjärde 366. Det är skottdagen som då skjuts in i almanackan, där den återfinns som 29 februari. Ingen har namnsdag. Dagen heter kort och gott ”skottdagen;” förledet ’skott’ kommer av att dagen är ”inskjuten”.

What happens if you happen to be born February 29?
Interesting))) I don't know anyone with that birth date, but have read a bit about it.
Most people celebrate on March 1. Sometimes, with parental consent, such children are given the date March 1 or February 28 on their birth certificate. And sometimes children are not satisfied with such decision of parents.
And some really celebrate their birthday once every four years.
And German professor Heinrich Hemme has developed a schedule, according to which, in his opinion, it is possible to celebrate the birthday not only on February 29, but also on February 28 and March 1. Thus, if a person was born before six in the morning, not in leap years should be celebrated on February 28. If from six in the evening and until midnight - March 1. For those who were born from six in the morning and before noon, the professor suggested to celebrate the birthday according to the scheme: two years after leap years - February 28, and on the third - March 1. Those born from noon to six in the evening should celebrate February 28 in the first year after the leap year, and in the remaining two years - March 1.😅😅😅

In general, people born on the 29th do not worry about it. 😀

Lagrimas_-_Fusionadas.jpg

No love for the capirotes?

“A capirote is a Catholic pointed hat of conical form that is used in Spain and Hispanic countries”

Are you perhaps saying, that it reminds you of something else?
I definitely don't love these, the sight of them is creepy to me.

I definitely don't love these, the sight of them is creepy to me.
I agree. It’s just kind of interesting that there actually isn’t anything sinister about them (the capirotes). But I guess one tend to associate such headwear with KKK?

Back