The dying era of music videos - MJ related

SOME music videos still cause a stir as someone pointed out about "Single Ladies". Mike may bring in that same buzz with his new songs as he does "Thriller", who knows tho, right?

No music videos cause a stir..
anything Beyonce does is going to be overhype because she is overrated.... music videos ALL suck today and are un orginal and the people that trip about ignorant videos there the people that dont know Ish about real music or real dancing

^
Completel agree

Music videos are back to people just singing their songs. Except now it's with excessive makeup, very overt expressions and too much concentration on sex and sexuality.

Michael's new music video is gonna seriouy show those overrated artists of today who the best in the biz really is ;)

Don't think we will ever see something like Thriller or Ghost.

They don't want to spend that much money on music videos anymore! :(

But I hope MJ will make some great videos in future!
For what reason? Not many places show music videos. Youtube and other online sites are pretty much poor quality visually and soundwise, so there isn't a reason to spend money. People today don't have as much of an attention span as in the past. They're not going to sit through a long video or a 7 minute guitar solo, such as Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd, lol. The songs today generally don't have a story to make a plot for a video anyway.

As the media evolve, also music biz should.
MJ was an innovator in the era of television, now if he wants and if he is still creative should find a way to promote music that can fit the era of internet.
No one in the music bizz has yet created or innovated the way to present music for the internet, they simply do some classic music videos and then they upload them on yoututbe or they private blogs or webpages... like doH!
The internet can offer different ways of enterteiment... Michael has a really great chance to do something new.
Either he can do something that is what is the best way to promote nowadays: live shows broadcast on tv or cinemas, or some unplugged concerts in the arenas.
Music videos right now are dated and actually any artist without talent can do one.

Yeah I also think, that Michael should / could do something no one had done before.

But what could it be ? :ph34r:

^
Completel agree

Music videos are back to people just singing their songs. Except now it's with excessive makeup, very overt expressions and too much concentration on sex and sexuality.

Michael's new music video is gonna seriouy show those overrated artists of today who the best in the biz really is ;)

Agree
I know right... some folks talk about music like their 3 years old.. Im just f*cking tired sick and tired of overrated commericial artists that do much of NOTHING and get praised for nothing.

There isnt any music revolution going on and the only reason why people trip about whatever they do is because the public feeds into hype and whos popular. Plain and simple. That does not speak for everyone. Mainstream is really projected towards youth. Youth dont know nothing about real music except me lol

^^^^Mainstream has always been geared toward the youth. Haven't you seen those girls screaming at Frank Sinatra, Elvis, Little Richard, Sam Cooke, The Beatles, etc. And Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, & Kiss obviously didn't appeal to old folks, lol. It's just there was more quality back then. An act might have performed in bars and clubs for a long time before getting "discovered". So they developed their own sound. They didn't come from a TV talent show, MTV, or a website with a bunch of similar sounding generic acts.

^^^^Mainstream has always been geared toward the youth. Haven't you seen those girls screaming at Frank Sinatra, Elvis, Little Richard, Sam Cooke, The Beatles, etc. And Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, & Kiss obviously didn't appeal to old folks, lol. It's just there was more quality back then. An act might have performed in bars and clubs for a long time before getting "discovered". So they developed their own sound. They didn't come from a TV talent show, MTV, or a website with a bunch of similar sounding generic acts.

yea of course. Kids and people jump off of whats popular. They just enjoy a catchy song or are entertained by a mediocre video, not knowing that there is much more beyond what is forced fed to them and what is being force fed to them is not real talent.
But the mainstream music back then was more quality, more creative, and original (except Elvis)

See if my father never exposed me to old school I probably would be a product of the commercial universe but im not. Thats why I advocate old school so much and speak the truth. I can hear myself rabbling lol hahaha yep love my old skool real ish

But there is good music besides just old school that is out NOW, like Erkyah Badu, Donnell Jones, Maxwell, Jill Scott, Floetry etc. Music industry tripping.

The acts back then didn't have to be majorly successful right out the box. Now if you don't hit right away the label will dump you. The Supremes, Stevie Wonder, & U2, and many other performers that are legends now, didn't catch on right away. If they started out today, they wouldn't have had a career. Also, the disc jockeys in the old days had a lot of power over what was played and what was a hit. Now it's just Clear Channel computer program lists. And most of the record companies have combined together now, so there's not really any competiton. It's just a big monopoly. Same with movies and television. Stuff like "All In The Family", "Good Times", or "Sandford and Son" wouldn't get made today.

The acts back then didn't have to be majorly successful right out the box. Now if you don't hit right away the label will dump you. The Supremes, Stevie Wonder, & U2, and many other performers that are legends now, didn't catch on right away. If they started out today, they wouldn't have had a career. Also, the disc jockeys in the old days had a lot of power over what was played and what was a hit. Now it's just Clear Channel computer program lists. And most of the record companies have combined together now, so there's not really any competiton. It's just a big monopoly. Same with movies and television. Stuff like "All In The Family", "Good Times", or "Sandford and Son" wouldn't get made today.

Very True. It seems like everything technical/tech is getting better only making things worse.

Yeah I also think, that Michael should / could do something no one had done before.

But what could it be ? :ph34r:

I believe he is going to debute on a special TV show on a major network
to debute his new music and feature films :)

He is also going to make a short feature film and have it play
in theators and like he did with THRILLER ..

of course it will also be all over youtube and the internet
and his album will sell like Hot cakes :cheeky:

I like what someone said earliar in the thread about mike debut the video. But before that show him in the studio working on his music seeing writing and explain about the album and stuff like that... It would be AWESOME TO THE MaX!!!

I think live performance of songs are now more important that music videos, and also radio airplay of songs. Channel's like MTV are more lifestyle channels than music video channels now.

I agree with the posts on her that say, no one makes good music videos anymore. I have to say, I've seen quite a few really good music videos over the last couple of years. But I guess no one has made a music video that's really stunning. I guess Michael Jackson is the only artist who can and will push the music video medium forward. With all this digital media such as iPods and mobiles which show videos, music videos should be at their peak. But obviously they can't be without Michael, as people are still copying his videos from the 1980's and 90's.

^^^^^Mike wasn't the only person who made quality videos. Peter Gabriel, Madonna, Beastie Boys, & Tori Amos were known for their videos as well. Acts like Huey Lewis & The News, B-52s, Men At Work, or Weird Al were known for making humorous videos.

I think this album is taking so long because Michael feels he's under pressure to do better than Thriller. I hope that he realized that he will never top thiller. Not in a million years!
not with all the infamy. Non-fans will not buy into the hype that Thriller was under.
He may come out with something absoulutely breathtaking, but 100 million records? Well, we'll just see.

Stars don't even make their money from record sales anymore (I've just DL Beyonce's latest album with such ease, absolutely free *I'll be legitimately buying MJ's though, I wouldn't call myself a real fan if I did that to him*) they make money from concerts and endorsements, TV appearances, ect. So 100 million sales may seem impossible in the digital age.

I don't want to be so negative, but that is the reality of it.I just wish he would do his best, give us a great album and great videos and not to try to outdo Thriller. Maybe Invincible, or HIStoy instead.

I am sure Michael won't disappoint us (fans).

Btw: What is MTV ? xD

it stands for Music Telivision. but the music part of it has been completely stripped out, which sucks. I dont watch it anymore. back in the 80s MTV was pretty awesome, and was actually music telivision.

it is very sad that cds might not be made anymore :cry: i love my cds, id be very upset if that happened. music for the most part sucks today, the music videos too. there are some great independent and indie acts out there tho, b/c they have creative control and arnt controled by their record labels.

I think live performance of songs are now more important that music videos, and also radio airplay of songs. Channel's like MTV are more lifestyle channels than music video channels now.

I agree with the posts on her that say, no one makes good music videos anymore. I have to say, I've seen quite a few really good music videos over the last couple of years. But I guess no one has made a music video that's really stunning. I guess Michael Jackson is the only artist who can and will push the music video medium forward. With all this digital media such as iPods and mobiles which show videos, music videos should be at their peak. But obviously they can't be without Michael, as people are still copying his videos from the 1980's and 90's.

Well said.

Folks dont watch music videos no more so they go by the live performances and based that entirely on the artist OVERALL which shows lack of exposure for music and performers for some people.

Live performances is a factor in the overall package of a all around good artists it is ONE factor. Just because an artist has one good performance doesnt mean their this great performer or artist (this goes mostly for artists out now)

They should go back to pressing lps again. :D
They never stopped making vinyl, you just have to go to special stores that stock them. There's several record stores where I live that carry them

My friend told me, Michael Jackson was spotted at a Dance Studio in LA. Him and some choreographer named "Casper". I dont think its true, but supposedly they are choregraphing a new Michael Jackson video to be shot in East LA. Some sporadic details on the video had been rumored, but we wont get a video until 2012 anyway. Unless Michael has a super duper cool plan! YEAH DUDE! *Orgasms*

Nah, but a new MJ vid would be dope. But seriously I doubt any would come soon. With Music videos wailing in failure these days, I'd expect Michael to bring some Short Film glory to MTV, BET, and VH1.

Back