The dying era of music videos - MJ related

iboz75

Proud Member
Gone are the days of great anticipation for an artist to present the music video to the world that corresponds with their new single. One no longer has to wait, they can just go online and see it.

This is why MTV don't concentrate on videos anymore. They have just crap-ass reality shows now. While artist's video's aren't even finely detailed and high quality anymore.*It's like folkes have stopped caring*. This is why I haven't really watched it in years. I was done with them when they premered Flava of Love.

So in lieu of the changing music video scene, do you think this will change the way Michael will do music videos? Will they still be an extended length of time? Will he still have cutting-edge special effects? How about choriography?:punk:

How will he premere it? will it be strictly on the internet, or will there be any TV play? It it be simalcasted at one time on 5 different tv channels? will there be a corresponding trailer/teaser (like in HIStory:clapping: and Dangerous)?:D

I'd like to hear your opinion.

Re: The dying era of music videos

Gone are the days of great anticipation for an artist to present the music video to the world that corresponds with their new single. One no longer has to wait, they can just go online and see it.

This is why MTV don't concentrate on videos anymore. They have just crap-ass reality shows now. While artist's video's aren't even finely detailed and high quality anymore.*It's like folkes have stopped caring*. This is why I haven't really watched it in years. I was done with them when they premered Flava of Love.

So in lieu of the changing music video scene, do you think this will change the way Michael will do music videos? Will they still be an extended length of time? Will he still have cutting-edge special effects? How about choriography?:punk:

How will he premere it? will it be strictly on the internet, or will there be any TV play? It it be simalcasted at one time on 5 different tv channels? will there be a corresponding trailer/teaser (like in HIStory:clapping: and Dangerous)?:D

MJ's still in a league of his own. Everything he does is a higher caliber than all other artists. Whether it's prep-time, fine tuning of music, attention to detail, choreography in music videos, and ofcourse quality of music videos are hands down better quality than everyone else.

Around the time of HIStory, all his music videos fit the length of the songs and I was worried that's the way it would be from there on out. It was awesome to see a full length music video of YRMW that tells more of a story than just the music. MJ's also never fit the mold of the rest of the music industry, everything he does is out of the box, and this will not change with the format of his new album, performances, and music videos.........whenever it comes out :(

i agree music videos today are non relevant to music most of the time, and dont tell a story... which is the whole point in why michael wanted to make thriller. i hate the way mtv onli ever plays stupid shows like the hills ect. i hope michael shows em how to do it again!! :D:D

Ok, well I don't think ALL the hype is gone. I know when "Single Ladies" came out for Beyonce, that was a pretty hyped video because of the way it was shot and the dancing. And when Britney premiered "Womanizer" that was pretty big too. But I won't argue that for too long.

As for Michael, I think he might still hold up his style for short films instead of music videos, but you also gotta remember what he said in a few interviews. The short film idea was just a medium for him to achieve to the next level. He wants to do movies, or at least direct them nowadays.
Sure, he will probably still premier them. Maybe in a better way, like exclusively on the internet and on TV at certain times. But when he said "the best is yet to come", I'm gonna trust his judgment and know that whatever he has in store for the world will, in fact, be memorable.

This is what I worry about as well. Although Michael is extremely talented, a huge part of his success was his innovation through music videos.

Something he could consider is blending his videos together as one big story like he did with Ghosts. He could have a few webisodes with each one about 10 minutes long which includes the next single. This way people would be interested in the next one to continue the story and also hear the new single. It would also be an easy shift into making the films he has always wanted to do for some time. The only problem this faces is the variety and uniquess in each one that is released because they need to coincide with the previous…

great thread, and mike always brings that fire. and he will make others step their game up

Most videos these days are pure garbage. But it's my honest opinion that it's always been that way. Most videos in the 80's were really bad too. Way too much close-ups, lots of footage that didn't have anything to do with the song and numerous attempts to get that futuristic look, which failed miserably most of the time. Of course you got exceptions like A-ha's amazing Take On Me vid, but most music videos were rubbish those days as well.

Then came the 90's with pretty girl bands and boy bands, which all seemed to have worked with the same choreographer. If you ever saw one, you's seen them all. And then there's today. 'Let's get fifty half-naked people in one crowded club, and then we shoot the video there. What? No, I don't care it we've done it 200 times before'. Most of the time, music videos have always been uninspiring and unoriginal, even though there are exceptions.

But throughout these decades, Michael has always been in his own league, and I doesn't see any reason for him to stop being so now. Some artist's videos will always be anticipated. And MJ will always be in that small, exclusive league.

I think he will once again chok the world and be innovative.

Well l agree with you 75 , l was born in 1983 l always listen to Michael sometimes Madonna prince,or Elvis l can not hear music of now adays and video clips are stupid with no story just bring girls and dancing ,we can even say that's dance but moving like h*********** you can say that l live in past .
What else about Michael ?l think they will break his new album like they do for Invincible.

Actually music videos have ALWAYS been bad, it's just that Michael and a few selected others (Janet, Madonna, etc.) just happen to create some memorable ones.

While Michael has made the music video the art form that it is -- it's the MUSIC that really matters. An unfortuate by product of the music video is the destruction of quality music. Music videos have become a marketing tool for the artist and NOT the artist's MUSIC. Of course when people enjoyed watching videos, the music quality was higher.

Maybe MJ can return the standard where it should be. But I doubt it will be broadcast as an event or even on MTV, as MTV is moving altogether away from featuring music, as seen with the cancellation of 'Total Request Live'.

Also, the economy is likely to make CDs a thing of the past (from Billboard Magazine):

YULETIDE GLOOM
December 20, 2008

Retailers Consider Further CD Cuts As Holiday Sales Decline Accelerates

'Blue Christmas' may turn out to be the theme song for this holiday season.

U.S. album sales were down 21.7% during the first week of December from the same period last year, accelerating from the 17.4% decline recorded during the last two weeks of November, according to Nielsen SoundScan. (Thanksgiving was in the last week of November this year, but in the third week of November 2007).

For the three-week period ending Dec. 7, sales were down 18.9% from a year earlier, compared with the 13.8% year-to-date decline.

The continued slide in CD sales remains the industry's biggest challenge, even though hit albums are selling better this year than last. Sales of the top 10 albums on the Billboard 200 for the three weeks ending Dec. 7 totaled 5.8 million units, up 2.9% from 5.7 million during the same period last year. But overall CD sales are down 24.7% during that period to 28.2 million units, a faster pace of decline than the 19.3% drop recorded year to date.

In general, smaller chains and independent retailers are performing better than large chains and mass merchants. For the first three weeks of the holiday selling season, indie stores have seen album sales decline 8.6%, while chains suffered a 19% drop and mass merchants saw sales plunge 29.2%. Nontraditional retail, which includes digital downloads, online CD sellers, concert venues and stores like Starbucks, saw album sales rise 8.7% from a year earlier, but that gain fell short of the 15.3% increase those channels have collectively tallied year to date.

Retailers are responding to the deteriorating business conditions with cost reductions and plans to reduce CD floor space in the new year.

"DVD, Blu-ray are doing great, the CD, no," says an executive at a large wholesaler. "I expect next year that we will be cutting back on our CD buying . . . we will be buying less of each title."

Dilyn Radakovitz, co-owner of the six-unit, Sacramento, Calif.-based Dimple Records, says she expects her chain will no longer carry deep catalog in the new year.

"It's not happening for CDs anymore, and I told my husband we are going to have to remodel the stores again in January to take that into account," she says. "Instead of carry 'A' titles, 'B' titles, 'C' titles and 'D' titles, we may only be an 'A' and 'B' titles store."

In their place, Dimples is bringing in books and more trend merchandise. Right now, magic cards and yo-yos are doing well, Radakovitz says.

"I am also selling a lot of ice cream," she says. "I can make a 50% margin on ice cream, while on CDs I can lose two bucks."

At the eight-unit Exclusive in Oshkosh, Wis., GM Stephanie Huff says sales are holding steady from last year, although she declines to give exact numbers.

"It's really market by market," Huff says. "I have a store in Janesville where a General Motors plant is closing and 2,500 people are losing their job on Dec. 23 and that store is doing just fine."

So far, DVD sales have saved the chain, Huff says. "A lot of people are shopping for DVDs, that's for sure," she says, even though "Target's sales pricing on DVDs is ridiculous . . . 'The Dark Knight' is the hot ticket in DVDs."

As a result of the current sales picture, and worries that the new year could bring further misery, in-store hourly workers at Brighton, Mass.-based Newbury Comics are taking a 2% pay cut, while salary employees are taking a 6% cut, and top executives are taking anywhere from a 10% to 20% cut.

"The wage cuts were progressive: the more you made the more you were cut," Newbury Comics CEO Mike Dreese says. "This is a different approach than just laying off people. We would have had to cut 12 staffers."

In addition to slowing CD sales, one music specialty chain says it sold fewer iPods in November than in October. The chain is also no longer struggling to keep the Nintendo Wii in stock due to slow sales.

"When the hot products don't sell, you know it's a deep-seated problem
," says an executive at the chain who asked to remain anonymous. "Sales are dismal. We wouldn't have expected to be in this kind of position now."

While he hopes that the last week of Christmas brings in enough sales to offset some of the decline, he says he is now resigned to a weak holiday season.

And he's even more worried about what the first quarter will bring.

"At least now with the hit titles, there's a reason for customers to come into the store," he says. "What kind of fall-off in sales will there be when there's nothing new to buy come Jan. 15?"

What this says to me is that if an artist doesn't already have a built-in fan base, they can forgetaboutit. Good video or no. It will be the music that will put MJ over.

more....

The one thing that Michael Jackson will need to do is to totally work the digital market in the way that President Elect Barack Obama has done. The artist who best recognize that success lies in designing the best digital social marketing tool is the one who wins.

Again, from Billboard Magazine:

BE LIKE BARACK
December 06, 2008

The marketing world has swooned over the way U.S. president-elect Barack Obama deftly used new-media outlets like social networks and mobile phones to mobilize support for his campaign. Advertising Age even named him Marketer of the Year in October, choosing him over traditional favorites like Apple and Nike.

As it happens, the new-media tools that helped carry Obama to the White House are the same ones that the music industry has been trying to figure for the better part of two years now, with less spectacular results.

Some say Obama enjoys rock-star appeal. So let's take a moment to examine what real rock stars can learn from the man's digital strategy.

It's Social Media, Stupid!

In addition to the traditional TV and radio ads, direct mailings and endless volunteer phone calls, the Obama campaign put an unprecedented degree of faith in social media, user-generated content and viral platforms—all without losing control of its message.

It not only distributed its own content, such as speech footage, volunteer shorts, and Web and TV ads, but also gave supporters the freedom to distribute their own. Perhaps most ingenious was how the campaign utilized the capabilities of different communities to its advantage. Supporters on Facebook, for example, could "donate" their status update on Election Day to deliver a get-out-the-vote message.

In all, Obama had more than 1.2 million Facebook friends, almost 850,000 MySpace friends, more than 100,000 Twitter "followers" and 140,000 YouTube subscribers who watched about 20 million video streams.

Lesson: Social media is no longer about sharing a few photos and music videos. To keep fans engaged, there needs to be a steady stream of content from every resource available, as well as a call to action to get them involved in marketing your work. Obama supporters encouraged their friends to vote for him. An artist's fans can remind their buddies to pick up a new album or buy concert tickets.

Mobile, Mobile, Mobile

If you're out to reach teens, the mobile phone is where it's at. Obama took every opportunity to build a list of supporters' mobile phone numbers, most notably by offering to reveal his choice for running mate first to anyone who signed up for text-message alerts. He also invited the thousands attending or watching his acceptance speech at the Democratic National Convention in Denver to send the campaign mobile text messages explaining why they supported the candidate.

Obama's choice of Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., as his running mate leaked before supporters could get the scoop first, but the campaign still achieved its objectives—3 million text messages sent out the night of the Biden announcement and a database of mobile numbers that the campaign used until the November election to send reminders to watch an upcoming debate or speech and, of course, to vote.

Lesson: Give and you shall receive. Artists could promise to provide exclusive information like the titles of upcoming albums and tour dates to those fans who register their mobile numbers to receive text alerts. Artists can then use those numbers to notify fans of upcoming TV appearances or remind them to buy local concert tickets the day they go on sale.

Transparency

Obama's real genius—and the key to making all these digital tools work—was that he made supporters feel as if they were part of his campaign. They had information on what their candidate was up to that day, how much money he was raising and when he needed their help in getting the word out about a local appearance.

Lesson: For the music industry to replicate this, artists and their labels and managers need to let fans inside what has traditionally been a rather secretive process. It can be simple things, like posting demos of new music or weekly updates from the studio or a tour. Or it could be more involving, such as letting fans remix songs and provide open licenses for mash-ups. (Remember Will.i.am's "Yes We Can" mash-up video for Obama?) Doing so doesn't mean artists have to give up creative control. It just means using these platforms to make fans feel like its "their" album in advance by letting them participate in some small way.

We live in a word-of-mouth economy, fueled by the viral Internet community. The Barack Obamas of the music industry will make smart use of new media and communications tools. The John McCains of the industry won't.

nah, I just think that he should just release videos and music over the web.

great thread, and mike always brings that fire. and he will make others step their game up
I totally agree, all the artist out there no matter how big they are at the time will never be able to compete with Michael especially in the music video/short film dept. I mean not one single artist will ever be able to ask their record company for 7+ million dollars to make a video.. They would get their asses thrown out of the building. Michael could make a short film using a camcorder from 1987 and it would still come out looking like something from the future.
Brittany Spears did some lame reality thing on MTV to promote her new album, I mean it was some lil show where the camera's showed the real her....WHAT-THE-F***-EVER!! However I would love for Michael to do another Private Home Movies type thing when he decides to release his album and premiere his videos. Especially having a video of him working in the studio creating beats and singing, I know they have a few Youtube videos showing him in the studio but I mean something put together by him and not Extra, ET, or Access Hollywood. Ok sorry if I got off topic at the end!!!!

I have to say, even Madonna and Janet are different now. Janet started from being like Michael in her vids, exept the fact that she was a woman, and that differed her from him. But slowly moving through the 90's she left the originality of her vids, behinds, and her videos, from at least AFY to now, were not as creative as they used to be. The same with Madonna. she too used to have creativity, back in the end of 80's to middle of 90's but now it is gone.
With Michael he is soo great he never lost his thoughts and opinions, about creativity, since the Thriller time, unlike others. He still is as creative as he was, no doubt about that.

Actually music videos have ALWAYS been bad, it's just that Michael and a few selected others (Janet, Madonna, etc.) just happen to create some memorable ones.
A bad video from the 70s & 80s is way better than a "good" video from today, lol.

SOME music videos still cause a stir as someone pointed out about "Single Ladies". Mike may bring in that same buzz with his new songs as he does "Thriller", who knows tho, right?

I love Janets Rock Wit U vid. Best video I've seen in ages and done in one shot! Love it. Still look forward to the odd Usher video. Even while there are a lot of shit videos nowadays the 70s/80s is not better than most of the stuff now. People just tend to remember all the good stuff from back in the day and forget the bad stuff. Most of those videos were people just performing in front of the camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFlSYezzxU4

My papa sometimes jokes and says that the 'M' in MTV 'used' to stand for music! lol

We know it still does but, I think he has a point.

So effin' true! :lol:
Even if the video was just a "stage performance", many of the acts back then had a personality or a look that made it interesting. Like David Lee Roth, B-52s, Motley Crue, or Billy Idol. Or if the act wasn't particularly interesting to watch, the video directors came up with ideas to make them so (Robert Palmer or R.E.M., lol). The songs were better as well, so people watched it for that reason alone. The acts today are generic & boring musicwise with no personality, so the video doesn't matter.

I don't midn seeing music videos, just liek comeone said on hre, the music speaks for itself. If I had to choose between a good @ss song with a bad a@ss vid or a bad@ss song with a good@ss vid, what would I go with? For example, take the song "When it Hurts" by Avant.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEMjg3pVKCk

LOVE this song, am up in arms about the dang video. Umm does it make sense to you, didn't to me; I expected to see a vid with heartache and eventually making up and all that. Clicked on the video; da hell he doin' in the car, supposed to be tired and ish, and the girl slitting and posing. And he's still "asleep" :pleasantry:. Ugh... but the song still rocks at the end of the day, so it's all good. :happy:

Don't think we will ever see something like Thriller or Ghost.

They don't want to spend that much money on music videos anymore! :(

But I hope MJ will make some great videos in future!

Back