The best History Tour Concert

cb2024

Proud Member
Which History Tour concert would you considered to be the best Michael Jackson performances of all times?

From Prague (1996) to Durban (1997), they are all carbon-copies concerts (same set list, same dance moves, same choreography, same lip-syncing, same visuals, and so on).
Gothenburg is the one with the best A/V quality I believe?
@cb2024 asks in terms of performance (dancing, etc), rather than in terms of audio/video quality.

I can tell you one thing. It's NOT Munich 1997. I hate how that show is always used to represent the HIStory Tour.

Anyways the best HWT shows IMO are:
Brunei 1996
Bucharest 1996 (There were some tech issues but MJ's performance was fantastic, also it has the red Thriller jacket which was a nice bonus)
Kuala Lumpur 1996
Basel 1997

Last edited:
I can tell you one thing. It's NOT Munich 1997. I really wish people would stop using this concert to represent the HIStory Tour.
For many years, all we had was Munich 1997 as it was shown on TV and tapped and circulated in the fan community. History tour footage like Munich 1997 was cherished because we didnt have access like now adays to so much concert footage.

But I guess if you didnt experience the fan community before streaming and file sharing you have no understanding how much we valued that concert.

The best one for me is Dublin, Ireland July 1997, as it was the first time I saw Michael and the first time I met fans in real life and became part of the fan communities.
I was there, saw him I'm 92 too in Landsdowne Rd, amazing

Seen every piece of History tour footage I can find and I would lean towards Cologne for the brilliant dancing even when compared to the other shows (particularly Billie Jean, Stranger In Moscow, Scream, BOTDF & TWYMMF), great vocals (especially at the end of Beat It) and the longer set list (could also make all of those points for Amsterdam 8th too). Canā€™t be certain due to little/no footage but there could even be shows that were better than those 2 e.g. Bremen, Kiel, Honolulu, Mumbai or Taipei 18th.

Overall those seem like the best shows but even from the small amount of footage available there are plenty of unique/special moments to like about different shows such as the dancing which developed throughout the tour in Billie Jean, Stranger In Moscow and WBSS or the ad-libs in Billie Jean and Beat It.

I'd say Gelsenkirchen or Bremen. Even Bucharest or Prague.

I can tell you one thing. It's NOT Munich 1997. I hate how that show is always used to represent the HIStory Tour.

Anyways the best HWT shows IMO are:
Brunei 1996
Bucharest 1996 (There were some tech issues but MJ's performance was fantastic, also it has the red Thriller jacket which was a nice bonus)
Kuala Lumpur 1996
Basel 1997
Great choices I pretty much agree. For Brunei being close to the end of the 96 leg he sounds fanastic and is still really energetic. The quality for that concert is also really great.

In my opinion, I'd go with Brunei or Copenhagen if we are sticking with professionally filmed. His voice is stronger on these shows of all that's available and with Copenhagen you actually get to hear how the band sounded live (Munich is very much dubbed throughout, burying the live band).

I enjoy the subtle differences between the 1st and 2nd legs with the instrumentation and stuff so I enjoy these 2.

Gothenburg, Copenhagen and Brunei for me.

I've always had a soft spot for Helsinki too, the Moonwalk and toe stand are clean (unlike others I'm looking at you Prague šŸ‘€)

@Moonstreet, so according to you, only these fans who experienced Michael Jackson in real time and they saw him physically (in concerts, appearances, etc) are entitled to discuss about him.

We have already got your point, so it is not really necessary to repeat it so often.

@Moonstreet, so according to you, only these fans who experienced Michael Jackson in real time and they saw him physically (in concerts, appearances, etc) are entitled to discuss about him.

We have already got your point, so it is not really necessary to repeat it so often.
well, if you want I can elaborate. :)

After death fans who were adults in 2009, who were over the age of 21, who didnt care about Michael on Wednesday 24 June 2009 but were on tv and flooded the fan community on Friday 26 June 2009 are the people who I have issues with.

Adults over the age of 21 who lived in California / LA and who had access to car and the internet who didnt care about Michael and who had no interest in the fan communities on Wednesday 24 June 2009 but somehow managed to get to his house and to Neverland on June 26 2009 are the people who I have issues with.

Basically anyone who was an adult and had access to the internet or a car and who had no interest in Michael, was not a fan when he was alive but is now the "biggest fan" I have issues with.

Said with L.O.V.E :)

I'd say Gelsenkirchen or Bremen. Even Bucharest or Prague.
The 1996 Prague concert in particular is saddled with many on stage errors, such as:

- Michael Jackson stumbles while executing the 'Billie Jean' moonwalk dance move

- Michael Jackson again stumbles while executing the 'They Don't Care About Us' sidewalk dance move

- Michael Jackson utters a swear word at the beginning of 'Scream'

- There are band/instruments errors during the 'Off The Wall' Medley

- There are band/instruments errors also during 'Beat It'

The 1996 Bucharest concert in particular is also saddled with many on stage errors, such as:

- Michael Jackson finds it very difficult to take off certain parts of his gold outfit during the first 3 songs

- During 'Smooth Criminal', the guy with the dynamite (right before the lean) appears a bit late

- During 'Smooth Criminal', one of the backup dancers almost falls during the lean

- During 'Smooth Criminal', Michael Jackson's blue shirt is unbuttoned (although that could be a good moment for his female fans)

- During 'Heal The World', Michael Jackson's microphone malfunctions

well, if you want I can elaborate. :)

After death fans who were adults in 2009, who were over the age of 21, who didnt care about Michael on Wednesday 24 June 2009 but were on tv and flooded the fan community on Friday 26 June 2009 are the people who I have issues with.

Adults over the age of 21 who lived in California / LA and who had access to car and the internet who didnt care about Michael and who had no interest in the fan communities on Wednesday 24 June 2009 but somehow managed to get to his house and to Neverland on June 26 2009 are the people who I have issues with.

Basically anyone who was an adult and had access to the internet or a car and who had no interest in Michael, was not a fan when he was alive but is now the "biggest fan" I have issues with.

Said with L.O.V.E :)
That is a faulty logic on your part.

Keep in mind that it is perfectly normal for an artist who dies prematurely in tragic circumstances (like, Michael Jackson) to create many real, new fans.

After all, many of these fans are also the ones who contribute to increasing Michael Jackson's overall sales (by posthumously buying his albums, etc), and many of them even defend him in regard to his sexual scandals.

The 1996 Prague concert in particular is saddled with many on stage errors, such as:

- Michael Jackson stumbles while executing the 'Billie Jean' moonwalk dance move

- Michael Jackson again stumbles while executing the 'They Don't Care About Us' sidewalk dance move

- Michael Jackson utters a swear word at the beginning of 'Scream'

- There are band/instruments errors during the 'Off The Wall' Medley

- There are band/instruments errors also during 'Beat It'

The 1996 Bucharest concert in particular is also saddled with many on stage errors, such as:

- Michael Jackson finds it very difficult to take off certain parts of his gold outfit during the first 3 songs

- During 'Smooth Criminal', the guy with the dynamite (right before the lean) appears a bit late

- During 'Smooth Criminal', one of the backup dancers almost falls during the lean

- During 'Smooth Criminal', Michael Jackson's blue shirt is unbuttoned (although that could be a good moment for his female fans)

- During 'Heal The World', Michael Jackson's microphone malfunctions

Have you ever seen a perfect concert ? :rolleyes:

From Prague (1996) to Durban (1997), they are all carbon-copies concerts (same set list, same dance moves, same choreography, same lip-syncing, same visuals, and so on).

@cb2024 asks in terms of performance (dancing, etc), rather than in terms of audio/video quality.
Otherwise answer the question of the topic. What is your favorite concert of the tour ?

Do you have any positive things to say about Michael ?

To answer the question in the topic, I don't have a favorite concert, they're all good. After the History tour is not my favorite. You could even say that I don't like it very much because it contains many songs from the album (logical) that I don't like :/

I remember buying a bootleg dvd of the Munich History show for about Ā£45.00 šŸ˜‚ and that was back in about 2003.

I hadn't seen any of the tour so at first, I loved MJ's costumes and especially the armoured intro and him coming out the rocket, he looked so badass.

The set list looked great and I was excited to hear SIM live along with some of the other new tracks. (I was so used to watching Bucharest 92)

I was really disappointed when almost the entire show was lip synced but the show itself was still good, looking back now its my least favourite tour due to the lack of live singing.

Was the Bremen show any good? I've always liked the scream performance from here.

17th July 1997 Wembley Stadium. London , England.. Glad i attended..

Back