Teddy Riley Speaks on Mike and Unreleased tracks

A. Sizzle

Proud Member
You can read the rest of the interview by following the link at the bottom of the page. He discusses the Blackstreet fall out and his upcoming projects. But here's the part we care aboout:

Meanwhile, with Teddy being arguably the most high-profile producer to have worked extensively with Michael Jackson since the King of Pop’s Eighties heyday, he today looks back on his time with the now-tragically-deceased icon with great fondness: “Well, all I can say is that we’re gonna miss him - because he was simply The Greatest. You know, he made an impact on EVERYONE - even those who never got to meet him and never got to work with him. I mean, on a personal level, just from being around him, he was like a big brother AND a little brother to me. While professionally he was both a mentor and a teacher, who took me to a totally different level in terms of performing and producing.”*

So does Teddy now feel that any of the many unreleased tracks he worked on with Jackson (particularly from the 1995 ‘HIStory’ project) might now see the light of day? “Well, it’s certainly true that there’s a lotta songs Michael and I did together that DIDN’T get released. But, as to whether they may now come out, I think that decision would have to be based on what HE’D have wanted. You know, Michael would have never wanted something released if it wasn’t great and if it wasn’t FNISHED. So, if a track isn’t finished, we won’t be putting it OUT there. But, as for the tracks that ARE finished? Well, you may get a SURPRISE! One might even end up on my OWN album!”

http://www.bluesandsoul.com/feature/521/teddy_riley_and_blackstreet_no_doubt

Last edited by a moderator:
:D Great, can't wait! :timer:

Thanx for posting.

Doesnt Sony and the Estate have a say first as to what is and isnt released? Being that the unreleased songs by Teddy for HIStory were for a Sony project so Im sure that would be up to them.

Thanx for the story.

Interesting, thanks for posting.
I truly hope they get out there.

So... Im assuming that Riley is working with the estate?

So, if a track isn’t finished, we won’t be putting it OUT there.

^^
Presumably, yes.

Sony are currently working with Mike's producers to remaster and perfect the tracks.

yeah, teddy riley is a damn good producer, he wrote one of the best songs with Michael. He also worked on lots of tracks for Invincible, I don't know about HIStory album...

Oh thanks for posting!

I hope we hear the songs sooner or later.

Sounds like there are a lot of tracks from HIStory era - which is great news.

I don't get the part about the surprise. We all know there's an album coming, lol.

^ There are several completed tracks the two worked on but never made the final cut. One from the Dangerous sessions, two or three from HIStory, and two or three from Invincible. There is also another finished track from recent years. All other material is unfinished from what I'm told. If you include unfinished material, there are over 15 songs that are still out there just from Riley and Jackson. There is a very high chance that one of the Riley songs will make the new album, as well as a Rodney Jerkins song as I said before.

^ There are several completed tracks the two worked on but never made the final cut. One from the Dangerous sessions, two or three from HIStory, and two or three from Invincible. There is also another finished track from recent years. All other material is unfinished from what I'm told. If you include unfinished material, there are over 15 songs that are still out there just from Riley and Jackson. There is a very high chance that one of the Riley songs will make the new album, as well as a Rodney Jerkins song as I said before.

Just one track? Disappointing if true. I'd rather the newer stuff, than stuff created in the 80s. Hope at least that happens

What's up D to the I. I missed you.
I am so confused about who owns what and who has the rights to what.

This could get complicated, but I'm sure Sony and the estate have the final say about the songs. But, Sony/estate would have to work out a deal with Teddy because as a writer, he would own some rights to the song. They'd have to consult with him first to avoid a Paul Anka situation. Technically, if they used the song(s) without Teddy's permission, he could sue.

Basically, there would be a lot of paperwork

I don't care if it's finished or unfinished just release the lot!!!

Hello,
I believe Teddy was the co-producer with Michael Jackson on his Dangerous album and Co- written the songs “Remember the Time”, “Jam” and “In the Closet”. You can check on the true album cover from the past that has it listed on the back. An Album to me is an actual record not a CD or DVD. In addition,

I am not sure if Teddy ever sang with Michael for a recording 45 or album. Teddy left Michael to work with Quincy Jones for additional experience back in the past. Michael taught Teddy the development of songs begins with a piano and writing. The struggle of singing, "Remember the Time" began with Michael's way or Teddy's way. Teddy had learned a valuable lesson by Michael and to practices the lesson, today.

I feel the article could be misleading on several points such as Teddy sang with Michael & Blackstreet Boys, Teddy has produced solo and etc. Teddy was known for producing and began at a young age working with big artists like Michael Jackson, motown artists, Gap band *older bands*, baby face.

If I am wrong, I apologize.....

Well, what can you say if Teddy Riley thinks someone is finished and Michael would have told him it's not. That is the biggest issue I think. So the only tracks that can be released are the ones Michael worked the most with... It's true that there were at least double times as much (releasable) tracks as there were finally on the album. It's pretty obvious. I think there's even completely finished tracks but they just were not proper with the other tracks..?

You don't have to believe me but I have listened some of the songs that were never brought to the light... I really did. So I base my own opinion on that. You don't have to ask me about anything because I have never told about his music anything, but I can swear the new contract is not made in vain...

Let's say Michael would be here to choose something for releasing. There are at least 20-30 tracks Michael would have released but it's different if there are already better tracks and they don't fit together... Well, you will see what I mean... There will be at least two or three completely new albums, or then Sony and the people working with the material have no brains how to do that.

Last edited:
I think that decision would have to be based on what HE’D have wanted.

:angel:

Yes.

I hope whoever makes the discisions will 'take MJ into the room with them'.

This is his music and his legacy after all.

:angel:

Yes.

I hope whoever makes the discisions will 'take MJ into the room with them'.

This is his music and his legacy after all.

They know with many songs what Michael thought about them.. He liked many of the songs but it was not enough. They were making albums, not releasing singles.. "On The Line" is a great example. It would have no place never ever on HIStory but as a bonus track on "Ghost Box" it did very well. Most of his tracks would work separately as a single very well...

(Especially nowadays this would work.. With the digital media..)

I have to say also that Michael usually only listened the track and if he didn't like it at all he didn't record his singing at all. So if he liked a bit he did the demo recording and you can listen how much he liked about it by listening to the recording of his singing. I don't know how much they deleted those completely unfinished recordings (probably all of them if Michael insisted) but let's say one third (my estimation) he sung through..

My estimation is that there is about 90 tracks Michael sung through so well you can make it final. I would say that's between 1980 and 2007, so there's no his childhood tracks at all. Probably 30 of those are fully finished by him but never put on the album for some reason. I don't know that much what and how much he did between 2005-2009, and you can work a lot in 4 years... If he "worked" with 25 tracks a year, there could be so much more... Probably his estate have them all somewhere so it's kinda golden mine really. I don't know about his contracts either but as far as I think he kinda "sold" only the tracks that were going to be released... I think at least two or three (persons) on this forum know much better.

Back