Starpulse Top 10 Albums of the 80's: Bad Number 3

Its nice to see BAD getting the recognition it deserves and noticing that Michael is much more than just Thriller.

"Thriller" was an incomplete album (it has to be; can you think of every song on the album without checking Starpulse? No you can't).

Actually I can. :(

*waits for vncwilliam to come in this thread and say it's a conspiracy that MJ is anything other than number 1*

Its nice to see BAD getting the recognition it deserves and noticing that Michael is much more than just Thriller.

Yeah, very nice indeed. BAD is an amaxing album!

*waits for vncwilliam to come in this thread and say it's a conspiracy that MJ is anything other than number 1*

Hope you said that with a smile, even though no smileys was to be found in your post!

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php?p=76182&more=1&page=2

It actually says that Bad is the best album that Michael has ever made and it's kind of refreshing to see Bad instead of Thriller on these types of lists

It would be if that were true.
Seriously, Bad's got nothin' on Thriller. And I don't give a shit how many albums Thriller has sold. To me, it's just a superior album. Bad sounds waaaayy to 80's.
Meaning, it hasn't aged well.
Thriller still kicks ass.
I know that it gets under the skin of ALOT of Michael Jackson fans that Thriller is regarded as his finest work, especially by the media. They don't seem to recognize anything post-Thriller. I can understand why some fans front, but the music speaks for itself.
Thriller owns. Bad is just Jackson's attempt to top it.

Hollaback.

bad>off the wall >>>>thriller

it's about time somebody got right. he broke away from that i love you boo boo crap and made a big boy album. he wrote most of the songs by himself and he covered a lot of topics. it is his best.

Bad is probably the closest thing we are gonna get to having a full album written and composed by Michael on his own.

I agree with KOP2424... Bad is great, and in a few ways I prefer it over Thriller, but in terms of how it has aged, it doesn't hold a candle to Thriller.

I will say however, that I find most of the songs on Dangerous to have aged better than either of the two, but thats another story :D.

I don't know. smooth criminal is one of the best songs of all time if you ask me.
however if the album were less synthesized it wouldn't sound as 80's as it does.

Palease. Bad slays thriller into a corner. thriller better than bad? ha! get real

Palease. Bad slays thriller into a corner. thriller better than bad? ha! get real

Bad slays Thriller?
That's some of the funniest shit I've ever read.
I guess that's what I'd expect on a fan board. At the end of the day, practically NOBODY outside of the fan community even remembers Bad.
Thriller on the other hand...

Hollaback.

Bad slays Thriller?
That's some of the funniest shit I've ever read.
I guess that's what I'd expect on a fan board. At the end of the day, practically NOBODY outside of the fan community even remembers Bad.
Thriller on the other hand...

Hollaback.

Since when did popularity equate to quality? and tons of people prefer smooth criminal over thriller,mike even said himself he gets more compliments on that than any of his other pieces. Thrille,r good album? yes, bad the better album? uh yes. The only songs from thriller that get recognition are billie jean beat it thriller (only due to the video) and pyt on ocassion. Tons of pple know bad, dirty diana,the way you make me feel,smooth criminal,man in the mirror,and leave me alone. Some random chick came up 2 me @ work and even mention liberian girl and shes not even a fan. so to say pratically NOBODY knows about BAD outside of the fan community is ignorant. :coffee:

me personally, i'll take it track by track:

wanna be startin something > Bad
baby be mine < TWYMMF
the girl is mine > Speed Demon
Thriller > Liberian
Beat It > just good friends
billie jean < another part of me
Human Nature < man in the mirror
PYT > I just cant stop loving you
the lady in my life < Dirty Diana

so going head to head in a track for track match-up out of the first nine tracks since thriller has two less, i've got five going for thriller and four for bad. BUT, there's also Smooth Criminal and Leave Me Alone, each of which i like better than baby be mine, the girl is mine, the lady in my life, and pyt (against smooth criminal anyway); so overall i'll go w/ bad.

It isn't right trying to compare them! each one was great at the time,when they both were released.BUT LIstening to them both now,////BaD is better,but seems older than thriller///just b cuz thriller is more of a classical album.BUT listening to the music now,i would prefer BAD.bad had the best composition EVErrrr!!

Since when did popularity equate to quality? and tons of people prefer smooth criminal over thriller,mike even said himself he gets more compliments on that than any of his other pieces. Thrille,r good album? yes, bad the better album? uh yes. The only songs from thriller that get recognition are billie jean beat it thriller (only due to the video) and pyt on ocassion. Tons of pple know bad, dirty diana,the way you make me feel,smooth criminal,man in the mirror,and leave me alone. Some random chick came up 2 me @ work and even mention liberian girl and shes not even a fan. so to say pratically NOBODY knows about BAD outside of the fan community is ignorant. :coffee:

Okay, whatever dude.
We'll just have to agree to disagree, aight?
We could go on forever.

Hollaback.

How about we do it this way, pitting each song up against their equivalent from the other album? Obviously some "matches" aren't going to be spot on, simply because the styles vary in the album, but here goes!

I've included little comments so you know why I chose what, since it is my personal opinion, haha.

------------------

Wanna Be Starting Something < Bad
Never was a fan of WBSS, however not a massive fan of Bad either. Since musically I dont find either to be GREAT, Bad simply wins for the awesome extended video.

Billie Jean > The Way You Make Me Feel
I put these two together because they were both big hits on each album, and other "BIG" songs from Bad were better suited to another Thriller song. Billie Jean wins, by a long shot, however both are GREAT songs.

P.Y.T > Speed Demon
This was more of a filler on both albums, which is really why they were put together. They're both high tempo fun tracks, however I just prefer the overly happy P.Y.T to Speed Demon.

Human Nature > Liberian Girl
This is a tough one for me because they're both big favourites of mine. They're both great songs, I think personally Human Nature wins because of the live performances in the Bad and Dangerous concerts.

The Girl Is Mine > Just Good Friends
As much as I find Paul McCartney to be the human incarnation of "boring" I still prefer TGIM over Just Good Friends. The song is just better on Thriller.

Baby Be Mine < Another Part Of Me
Another weird pairing. I couldn't really find a match for either song, and I love both for different reasons. It's more of a tie on a pure musical front, but Another Part Of Me wins because it reminds me of Captain EO

The Lady In My Life < I Just Cant Stop Loving You
Again, tough because I like both of these songs, but I think the latter is the better song and is more memorable.

Beat It > Dirty Diana
Oh god I love Dirty Diana, but if I chose it I think fans would unite and have me banished from the Internet for a few hundred years. I love Beat It too, and have chosen it mainly because it's so memorable, and for it's video.

Thriller < Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal wins because i've gotten to a point where I just roll my eyes when Thriller wins awards, lol. Plus, I thought Smooth Criminal's video was better than Thriller (yeah... YEAH I SAID IT!) and his style was awesome in the clip.

< Man In The Mirror
MJ had no humanitarian "save the world" type song on Thriller, so I guess this "wins" by default. It's an alright song however... just not a favourite.

< Leave Me Alone
As above, Thriller didn't have a "screw the press" type song, mainly because he couldn't do wrong 4/5 years prior to Bad.

I've been a fan since the 80s and personally I preferred BAD to THRILLER. For all those who were not born or can't remember the Michaelmania of the 80s I can guarantee you that Michael Jackson's BAD was a huge thing in those times. Everybody went crazy and I clearly remember that the album BAD actually had much more impact and success than THRILLER. I am not talking bout charts, but simply about a drastic difference in number of people who increasingly became fans or loved to see or listen to Michael Jackson. He was the best. That kind of fever I hadn't known during THRILLER era even if it also had a huge success. Dangerous and History era, tough successful, were nothing compared to BAD era.

HOWEVER!!! It is impossible to compare THRILLER and BAD! They are COMPLEMENTARY. Every fan from the 80s knows that Michael Jackson without THRILLER wouln't have that success solely with BAD, and vice versa, if there were no BAD album, THRILLER would be forgotten simply because there were only three videos from that album, whereas BAD generated 9 videos out of 11 songs!!!!!, without taking into account Moonwalker's Speed Demon and MOONWALKER itself + a WORLD TOUR!!! That was a huge promotion for Michael Jackson that he previously never had with THRILLER or any other album.

By the way, someone in this forum said that LADY IN MY LIFE was not a good song. When I first listened to it, I didn't like it either, nevertheless when you put aside all the fame and Michael Jackson fever, you realize that LADY IN MY LIFE is another piece of art, if not actually the best song on the album THRILLER - soft, jazzy, with perfect chorus, time after time difficult to sing, but when he says to the LADY that he loves her in a powerful, yet pleasant to hear voice, you can actually hear how sincerely it is said, shouted and sung.

me personally, i'll take it track by track:

wanna be startin something > Bad
baby be mine < TWYMMF
the girl is mine > Speed Demon
Thriller > Liberian
Beat It > just good friends
billie jean < another part of me
Human Nature < man in the mirror
PYT > I just cant stop loving you
the lady in my life < Dirty Diana

so going head to head in a track for track match-up out of the first nine tracks since thriller has two less, i've got five going for thriller and four for bad. BUT, there's also Smooth Criminal and Leave Me Alone, each of which i like better than baby be mine, the girl is mine, the lady in my life, and pyt (against smooth criminal anyway); so overall i'll go w/ bad.

ha ha, thats funny, you must be the only person in the world who thinks another part of me is better than billie jean, but i guess thats your opinion ;)

I've been a fan since the 80s and personally I preferred BAD to THRILLER. For all those who were not born or can't remember the Michaelmania of the 80s I can guarantee you that Michael Jackson's BAD was a huge thing in those times. Everybody went crazy and I clearly remember that the album BAD actually had much more impact and success than THRILLER. I am not talking bout charts, but simply about a drastic difference in number of people who increasingly became fans or loved to see or listen to Michael Jackson. He was the best. That kind of fever I hadn't known during THRILLER era even if it also had a huge success. Dangerous and History era, tough successful, were nothing compared to BAD era.

HOWEVER!!! It is impossible to compare THRILLER and BAD! They are COMPLEMENTARY. Every fan from the 80s knows that Michael Jackson without THRILLER wouln't have that success solely with BAD, and vice versa, if there were no BAD album, THRILLER would be forgotten simply because there were only three videos from that album, whereas BAD generated 9 videos out of 11 songs!!!!!, without taking into account Moonwalker's Speed Demon and MOONWALKER itself + a WORLD TOUR!!! That was a huge promotion for Michael Jackson that he previously never had with THRILLER or any other album.

By the way, someone in this forum said that LADY IN MY LIFE was not a good song. When I first listened to it, I didn't like it either, nevertheless when you put aside all the fame and Michael Jackson fever, you realize that LADY IN MY LIFE is another piece of art, if not actually the best song on the album THRILLER - soft, jazzy, with perfect chorus, time after time difficult to sing, but when he says to the LADY that he loves her in a powerful, yet pleasant to hear voice, you can actually hear how sincerely it is said, shouted and sung.

agreed about lady in my life, i think people are overly harsh about just good friends aswell, the chorus is a little tacky, but i love the verses and the feel of them, just needs a better chorus

Back