*SPOILERS* TII Album Discussion

This Is It

Proud Member
SPOLIERS! LEAVE IF YOU HAVEN'T HEARD OR GOT YOUR ALBUM YET AND DO NOT WANT TO HAVE IT RUINED FOR YOU!

The album is now floating about online as many people have received their copies slightly early (I have from HMV).

I'm obviously not going to comment on the greatest hits, only the poem and demos (including This Is It). I was incredibly dissapointed when the lack of material on Disc 2 was announced - especially as I thought I had heard all three (SOOML, WBBS and Beat It) on YouTube, but they are completely different versions. I absolotely adore the Beat It demo acapella; the other two are great but feel too much like the album cuts, whereas it is completely different and shows what went into building it to the classic it is today. Planet Earth was amazing too; listening to his voice with no music, just reading his amazing poem... wow!

And obviously there is This Is It, which I like very much.

And the booklet is fantastic - love the photos.

Your thoughts?

Does the actual album verison of This Is It sound clean? The other versions floating around sound fuzzy/clearity lacking. I have the album on order for Monday, and the movie that night.

Does the actual album verison of This Is It sound clean? The other versions floating around sound fuzzy/clearity lacking. I have the album on order for Monday, and the movie that night.

Yeah, pretty clean, although it's obviously only an old demo with not great mics (which we've known for a while anyway). I'd say more so than the stream on www.MichaelJackson.com and much more than the torrents and YouTube rips going around.

Thanks! Can't wait to buy the album, still can't believe there is only 4 tracks on disc 2!? I don't understand :/

Thanks! Can't wait to buy the album, still can't believe there is only 4 tracks on disc 2!? I don't understand :/

I know, it's such a shame. They could have at least put the two versions of TII on Disc 2 to pad it out a bit.

Can you please PM me the poem? I've been dying to hear it ever since they announced it..

hmm....well disc 1 is a complete waste of time...

and as for disc 2? well...the demos are good, but i'm just quite hacked off with the whole This Is It OST thing to be honest lol
I hate being negative, but it's true.

I think my favourite demo is WBSS :)

Anyone know if Michael narrated all of the Dancing the Dream book? Because i heard a page flick as he was reciting.

had an email saying mine has been dispatched from play.com, hopefully the postal strike wont affect it

Received my album early from HMV, just to say the poem on disc 2 is amazing, his voice just goes right through you, you can hear every breath he takes and they've added like a slight echo and is very soothing. Love it. Plus the WBSS demo is incredible, very raw.

disc 2 is more like a sampler of whats to come.
i believe michael recorded loads of poems and those themselves could be released as a cd

I'm not buying it. I own every song he ever released as a solo artist and I don't like the song This is it.

I kind of got to thinking what the poem was for... if it was something he recorded for the "tour" or an audio book or something?!
Does anyone know when it was recorded?!

What's great with "Beat It" is that we finally get to hear how Michael works - The engineers have been saying that Michael would just go into the booth and vocally create all the instruments and stuff, then real musicians would come in and replay it later - that was exactly what we hear in the "Beat It" demo, one of those build ups Michael would do on his own. Absolutely genius, that's how you embed yourself into your work.

"She's Out Of My Life" was a real surprise, I like that acoustic feel!
Imagine a storm of acoustic guitar covers of it hitting YouTube soon :p

"Wanna Be Startin' Someting" was nice, I wonder if this is the demo he did around Off The Wall?!
I like that all the percussions and ad libs and stuff are loud here... interesting to hear.
I kind of wonder what kind of clap/snap sounding percussion he's using around 3:20 in the demo.
The percussions in the end are a mess, but they probably were some random crap Michael did to remind himself to have a lot of percussions in the end :D

EDIT: What's messed up is that these demo's are like 10 times more exciting than the whole "brand new" "This Is It" song...

I'm not buying it. I own every song he ever released as a solo artist and I don't like the song This is it.

Sony really messed up with the way they handled the soundtrack. I was on a messageboard for another artist and there was a thread that had the cd rip posted. People were VERY disappointed that the live versions weren't included and a number of posters said they were actually going to cancel their cd pre-orders.

going through it now....

I'm VERY pleased that They Don't Care About Us is the remixed LP version with the sound effects from the single version of the song. I hate the so called "LP Edit". The actual single version would have been better in my opinion, but I'm still happy about this.

Anyone notice the additions in the Orchestra Version of This Is It? It is not the same as the version from the promotional cd single going around.

"She's Out Of My Life" was a real surprise, I like that acoustic feel!
Imagine a storm of acoustic guitar covers of it hitting YouTube soon :p

Ahaha, my first thought after hearing it was "I have to figure out the tab for this and cover it".
I can just see it now, though! A flood of covers :lol:

Mines came with a little flyer saying that the DVD and Blu Ray of This Is It is coming soon!

I didn't bought the album, but someone gave it to me. I would never waste my money on this! I'm extremly dissapointed.
Disc 1 is the waste of time. I already heard those track 1000 times. This Is It is extremly mediocre song.
Disc 2 is not good either. I don't like beat it, and that poem is nothing new. She is out of my life is quite cool, but it's one of the less good songs on OTW.
However, i love WBSS. It's obvious that it's early demo from the late 70's...

Last edited:
This 'album' sucks. I really don't think it should even chart. They should have just add the single this is it with the 4 demos as a bundle to the nuber ones soundtrack honestly

well I am just grateful to have something from Michael...whether the music is old or new..I will take it....RIP Michael.....this is why..:cry:

Im still deciding on whether to actually buy this album, i wasn't going to because i was mad at Sony for releasing another album with greatest hits on & then the fact there there was only 4 tracks on disc 2, which isn't exactly worth the money- considering it isnt cheap! However, i've read some of your posts, saying about the poem and how beautiful it is, i would like to have that on CD plus someof the demos aswell like WBSS. I've only heard the Beat It demo i think. You also mentioned the booklet being very nice with pictures in, i always like having those- cos i love looking at Michael! hehe.

So my question is, what is your honest opinion of this album? Waste of money? What would you give the album out of 10? Please reply, im still very indecisive. :)

LMAO, that Beat It demo is sooo cute and hilarious! The way he goes 'tananana' on the beat....just love it. :lol:

I like This Is It...think it's a wonderful, very powerfull song with a lot potential if it would've been brought out not just as a demo. So even though bringing out this album makes no sense, I also love having the Planet Earth...it's so calming...it's just the best therapy ever. Listen to that and everything falls off of you! :wub:

Im still deciding on whether to actually buy this album, i wasn't going to because i was mad at Sony for releasing another album with greatest hits on & then the fact there there was only 4 tracks on disc 2, which isn't exactly worth the money- considering it isnt cheap! However, i've read some of your posts, saying about the poem and how beautiful it is, i would like to have that on CD plus someof the demos aswell like WBSS. I've only heard the Beat It demo i think. You also mentioned the booklet being very nice with pictures in, i always like having those- cos i love looking at Michael! hehe.

So my question is, what is your honest opinion of this album? Waste of money? What would you give the album out of 10? Please reply, im still very indecisive. :)

My rating is 3/10. The album is a waste of money. I have a tons of MJ stuff at home, but i won't add this cd to my collection.

I wish fans would quit bitching about this. If you don't want it don't buy it. Simple.

I actually think it's a really decent product. The packaging is awesome, the booklet is really beautiful and I love all the unreleased bits. I fell in love with TII the first time I heard it and I love both the orchestral and album version. I had reservations about their being a "spoken word poem" but Planet Earth is actually really inspired and moving. The demos are also fun to hear.

It's £11.99 and well worth every penny if you ask me.

One question - who wrote "Always great to sing with my brother" on the back cover? Presumeably that isn't meant to be from Michael, is it???

ill buy it when its been sold off cheap as its a kind important release in the scheme of mj.what it signifies but other than that im not paying full price for a few demos that ill listen to a few times and and hardly ever again

I think I actually prefer the accoustic version of She's Out Of My Life to the original. It's so gentle and poignant.

My only grievance is that I wish they had included the two versions of TII on the second CD so I could listen to all the unreleased material on one disc.

Thanks for your views so far. There so mixed though! lol Which is still making me think. I think when its released on monday, i'll go into the shop pick it up & see what my gut instinct is when holding it! lol. I think thats gonna be the only way to tell whether i want it or not, cos you guys are saying a range of positive and negative things! :)
I just wish it wasnt so darn expensive, it think its way to pricey no matter whats on the CD.

Back