Songs MJ Should Retire????

Cinnamon234

Proud Member
Which songs could you live without seeing Michael perform ever again or not perform for a while?

For me it would be:

The J5 Medley-For me he can retire that whole bit as i'm a bit tired of seeing him do the same routine. I only want to see him perform a J5 medley if he decides to change it up and do new songs instead of the same ole, same ole.

"Thriller" -This has never worked in concert if you ask me and I wouldn't mind if he never performed it again.

Heal The World-Never cared too much for this song or performance.

Last edited:
I agree..Heal The World would be fine if left alone...I think the only "peace anthem" he should perform at a concert is Man In The Mirror..with Will You Be There at the most...i think he should still do the J5 medley, but spice it up a bit...maybe new songs, new routines, even remixes???

Beat It. I love the song, but it's gotten so overplayed, and I'd like to hear Michael perform something else for a change.

Heal the World to be left alone?.........

Wow, I'm speechless... That is one of the most peaceful and beautiful songs ever, not to mention the most meaningful ones.

Moving on.

HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST OR SAY THRILLER NEVER WORKED IN A CONCERT?! UGH IM SO UPSET! I WUD DIE IF HE DIDNT PERFORM THRILLER W/O AN AMAZING MAGIC TRICK.

lol im not really upset i just dont agree :p thriller stays man in the mirror stays heal the world out

Which songs could you live without seeing Michael perform ever again or not perform for a while?

For me it would be:

The J5 Medley-For me he can retire that whole bit as i'm a bit tired of seeing him do the same routine. I only want to see him perform a J5 medley if he decides to change it up and do new songs instead of the same ole, same ole.

"Thriller" -This has never worked in concert if you ask me and I wouldn't mind if he never performed it again.

Heal The World-Never cared too much for this song or performance.

Cinnamon--omg! Thriller?!?!

That song & performance is amazing live! Maybe you've never seen a really good one. :D

But anyways--I could live without seeing "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" live. I don't even like the song all that much.

Heal the World to be left alone?.........

Wow, I'm speechless... That is one of the most peaceful and beautiful songs ever, not to mention the most meaningful ones.

:eek:
I know!!! I was shocked to read that too.

Ok, I could def live without the whole 'She's Out of My life/YANA-Crying' routine...we've seen it a million times and we know HE'S NOT CRYING!

Ok, I could def live without the whole 'She's Out of My life/YANA-Crying' routine...we've seen it a million times and we know HE'S NOT CRYING!

LOL, that's funny!!!..............

I can' think of anyhting that I don't want to hear him sing-LOL. Thriller should definately stay!!!! And I looove when he sings She's out of my life, but maybe without a girl coming up on stage?????

daphnieas said:

hehe, got to agree with you there. I wondered if it was real the first time I saw him singing those songs in concert, but after seeing it happen again....and again......and again, lol, I was like, come on, get on with the show already ^_^

I would agree with you that the J5 routine is getting a little old. Unless there's another reunion with his brothers, I really don't want to see him performing the same songs he's been doing for like 40 years.

I would keep Thriller just because it is a classic and sooooo many people associate MJ with it and would be disappointed if he didn't perform it. Beat It is one of my favorite songs, I would keep it as well.

I could do without the Off the Wall medley. that's just me though

Last edited:
I think he should revamp the whole show. Do lesser known songs like Prince or The Rolling Stones do. Or at least change the arrangements. With MJ, you can listen to the Jacksons Live album and it's pretty much the same thing, lol. I think he should do J5 songs, but different ones. I was surprised that Dancing Machine was done at the 30th anniversary. Yeah, dump the Heal The World type songs and sing I Can't Help It or Blues Away or something. Actually I would like for him to do "The Man".

there is not ONE performance I would like him to retire..

It's all depending on the terms and place..

Heal The World does not have to be at his concert/tour.. But lets say he's doing a charity benifit special/concert.. then yes!!

It all depends on the purpose of the show..

I would not sacrifice that performance for Who Is It or smile. Take something else out, not WBSS LOL

Why do the same thing over and over? If that's the case just buy the 1992 (or Bad tour) concert video. That's why Madonna's shows tend to be more interesting. Each of her tours are different. The only songs she repeats are Like A Virgin, Holiday, Live To Tell, and La Isla Bonita. And she usually changes the arrangements so they're kinda different. I recall an interviewer asking Prince why he didn't perform certain songs. Prince said "If U wanna hear that, U can go 2 the store and buy the record". lol

why? Cuz if i ever am fortunate to see MJ live, I would like to see AT LEAST my fav performances that i've been watching on TV LOL. I would be disappointed, honestly if MJ didn't do Billie Jean or WBSS, cuz those are the performances that i wanna see live. I will never get bored watching WBSS live...the choreography and feel of that whole performance is electrifying.

and MJ's not madonna. I don't care what madonna does lol.

Last edited:
Jackson 5 Medley - I agree that this is getting really old now with the same old routine.

Black Or White - OK it's a fun song but i think it would be nice to take it out and replace it with something else from Dangerous like Who Is It

:eek:
I know!!! I was shocked to read that too.

I agree...Until I read the "He's not crying" part. He IS crying every time he performs those songs, as they have a special meaning to him and take him back to his sadder days or even bring him nostalgy. Like he wouldn't have reasons to and it should be only a part of the routine, like the "Can I come down there" part. It is more than that and I don't know why it's so hard to believe he is genuinely crying, even his tears can be seen and he is sensitive enough to feel the songs he performs, including the overwhelming atmosphere created by the sea of screaming fans. Like he said it himself (I believe, during the interview with Steve Harvey) - and I know, to many, the things he often says or do (like the "I love you" statement or the "God bless you" one, may appear cheesy and fake - it is always real, like it was on the MSG concert, where he really broke down on his knees and he was trembling and the tears were streaming down his hand.

So the fans may call him a good or a bad actor and whatever they like, a liar, that is. But the truth is that he is being himself and he expresses truth in his emotions by means of his music. Including crying every time on stage while performing those songs. As he did while recording "She's Out Of My Life", "Be Not Always", "Gone Too Soon", "Who Is It" and others where he appears to be choking on emotion. That is upsetting and it shows how misunderstood he is.

Also, he will retire whatever song he may wish to. I don't even think he'll perform his concert songs anymore, he may perform his new ones along with a few really meaningful songs, maybe even those he has never performed on stage. When asked in the 2001 GetMusic.com audio interview what song he would choose to perform for the rest of his life, he picked 3: "Heal The World", "Speechless" and "You Are My Life".

Last edited:
why? Cuz if i ever am fortunate to see MJ live, I would like to see AT LEAST my fav performances that i've been watching on TV LOL. I would be disappointed, honestly if MJ didn't do Billie Jean or WBSS, cuz those are the performances that i wanna see live. I will never get bored watching WBSS live...the choreography and feel of that whole performance is electrifying.

and MJ's not madonna. I don't care what madonna does lol.
Madonna wasn't really the point. Lots of acts change their shows. If someone always does the same act, you know what's going to happen and it's boring. It's like watching a rerun of a TV show dozens of times. Eventually folks will stop watching it. It's sort of like Riverdance, it looked cool the 1st time you see it, but kinda "blah, is that it" after a couple of times, lol. As far as the crying - I think it was real on the original recordings, but not doing it in concert hundreds of times on cue, lol.

MJ does change his shows though to the tune of whatever album he's promoting.

Anyways. that's not my point. LOL Point is, WBSS will never get old to me. I would be really sad if he retires THAT song. I have never seen MJ live. WHen and if i see MJ live, I would want to see the iconic performances.

Im not against switching it up a bit (although i think MJ does just fine with how he switches it up)....but taking out iconic performances would not go over too well. What's an MJ concert without billie jean?? For me that iconic performance is WBSS.

Last edited:
I think he should revamp the whole show. Do lesser known songs like Prince or The Rolling Stones do. Or at least change the arrangements. With MJ, you can listen to the Jacksons Live album and it's pretty much the same thing, lol. I think he should do J5 songs, but different ones. I was surprised that Dancing Machine was done at the 30th anniversary. Yeah, dump the Heal The World type songs and sing I Can't Help It or Blues Away or something. Actually I would like for him to do "The Man".

Yep, I think he should do something TOTALLY different. He performs songs like Billie Jean and Beat It the same way everytime. I'd looove to hear an acoustic version of Billie Jean for example. Also I'd love to hear him perform songs he has never performed on tour before, like Give In To Me ( would be great live, don't you think?) or Lady In My Life (ooo imagine what that would sound like.)

Yep, I think he should do something TOTALLY different. He performs songs like Billie Jean and Beat It the same way everytime. I'd looove to hear an acoustic version of Billie Jean for example. Also I'd love to hear him perform songs he has never performed on tour before, like Give In To Me ( would be great live, don't you think?) or Lady In My Life (ooo imagine what that would sound like.)

To add a little bit to your post, I to agree with what you are saying. Think of it quickly from a performers stance. He HAS to perform Thriller, Billie Jean, and Beat It for EVERY concert. IMO, i'd get bored with performing them. But then again, i'm not the one who created those masterpieces, so that may come into play as to whether i'd like performing them all the time.

I would LOVE it if he performed something like Give Into Me live. Great song! And def. LIML.

As for songs he should stop routinely performing: Black or White (I can deal w/o it), She's Outta My Life........not the whole J5 Medley, that would just need to be revamped a little bit. Maybe some more Jacksons songs. I'd like to see This Place Hotel live again even though it was on the Bad tour a couple of times. I Can't Help it is another good one.

Ok, can I say this without sounding like a complete girlie girl? Break of Dawn.
JUST ONCE! I wanna see how he would perform it on stage. I'm just curious. I know its a very "sexual" song and would probably not work.....ever......

Eh well.........just a thought!

He chose those songs to perform on stage because they made sense to him!!! We have to respect his decision!!!

Cinnamon--omg! Thriller?!?!

That song & performance is amazing live! Maybe you've never seen a really good one. :D
But anyways--I could live without seeing "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" live. I don't even like the song all that much.

Lol, well maybe not but i've seen several performances of "Thriller" and they've all been pretty underwhelming if you ask me; They always have bad lighting, cheesy costumes, etc. the whole setting just looks a bit silly imo.

I would keep Thriller just because it is a classic and sooooo many people associate MJ with it and would be disappointed if he didn't perform it.

That's a good point. "Thriller" is probably MJ's most popular song after "Billie Jean. I just don't particularly enjoy performances of the song, but you're correct in saying that people would be dissapointed if he didn't perform it. The thing is that I just don't see how the song would work today and at MJ's age, it would look kinda silly with him prancing on stage with that outfit on lol, but maybe he could make it work but I dunno how.

I totally agree. Michael does need to revamp his whole show. I feel like he's been doing pretty much the same thing for his past three tours. A lot of his performances of songs like "Beat It", "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'", Jackson 5 Medley,etc. have become extremely repetitive and predictable. He needs to do something completely new and unexpected. MJ himself said he doesn't like repeating himself but I feel like he's been "stuck" performance wise for a while now.

Last edited:
MICHAEL'S SONGS ROCK NO RETIRING LET HIM PLAY THEM ALL AND WELL ALL START CRYING AND FAINT AND PUT ON STRETCHERS AND TAKEN AWAY LOL...

His songs rock my socks, and my socks are mj's old glowing socks that were nearly used on thriller but later sold off, sadly they smell mad sweaty and they have been in a case for years, does mj have real bad feet? :(

Last edited:
Back