So it seems that Beyonce Is On her Way To Iconic Status

lots of her fans think crazy in love and single ladies made a big impact in pop culture

I think in time probably but I do think she should move away from this girl power thing. It's her fourth solo album I think and it's kind of the same theme as the others. She hasn't had a hit song yet with this album. Unless I am wrong about that I am sorry. I look at Michael and Madonna and each album was different. That's the way it looked to me. Beyonce is talented and I think she does have longevity.

Hmmm....twinklEE just made me realize something here. This subject reminds me of the main demographic to which US mainstream music has been targeting for the past 10 years. Pre-teens, Teenagers and, to an extent, college age kids. It's been a real long haul with this type of music too. Would anyone else agree with me on that? Further, I would hope that soon the "adults" will be so starved and deprived of music that has depth, soul, passion, whatever that this "style" of pop music will soon fade into the twilight and never be seen again.

Is anyone else with me in that i'm tired of the main attraction being teenagers? I want better music to get popular again.

I realize i'm putting this idea into a LARGE nutshell so bear with me on that, and maybe someone can help me out and elaborate a bit more.

Back on topic. Another question to ponder for all of you. Would anyone consider Beyonce to have reached a similar platform to the likes of Tina Turner perhaps? Or maybe a Jody Watley? Just throwing out ideas here.

Ehm...the main demographic for mainstream music has always been the younger crowd, with an increased focus on teens/young adults (i.e. college-aged) in the last 50 or so years, peaking at around the late 1990s with the coming of "teen pop" (jeez they even get their own genre :puke:), and staying that way ever since. However, this does not change the fact that the younger age groups have always been the main target for the mainstream music industry. Why do you think the older crowd is always going on about "those kids" and their music these days? They've been doing that since the days of Elvis! :p

In any case, what needs to happen is the music industry actually recruiting artists instead of entertainers. I daresay it has less to do with age group than the ability to appreciate quality music (lord knows there are some sad, creepy 40 year olds out there who like Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga a lot more than most teenagers do...). Conversely, there are some bio-youths like myself who like better quality stuff. However, we're not going to see a rise in quality music until the public demands it. Blaming the companies is idiotic--they only shell out what people's money tells them to. It's kind of like blaming McDonald's for selling food cancer to obese people--they're only doing what they're being paid to do, right? They wouldn't succeed unless the demand for their product existed--likewise, "music" today is much like a commercial product--well, actually, no. It's not "like" a commercial product...it is a commercial product.

Anyway, so long as "music" remains a commercial product in the mainstream, the target audience will always be kids/teens/young adults. They're the ones with the expendable income/mommy and daddy buying them everything their little hearts desire. None of them have to pay bills (on average here, people), and they have all the extra time to go clubbing/listen to the radio/etc. and get hooked on whoever is new than older adults who have jobs to go to, kids to raise, and bills to pay.

As for artists who do have talent and potential, and yet find themselves doing mediocre things in the mainstream, well...

While I definitely agree with you Mikage, I would still argue that it has gotten significantly worse over the last 15 years. Not the same old "those darn kids and their rock 'n' roll music" story anymore. So I guess I'm adding to your statement above. Somethings changed.

At any rate, change is good, and will hopefully lead us full circle and back to our musical roots. Something more organic.

While I definitely agree with you Mikage, I would still argue that it has gotten significantly worse over the last 15 years.

1) I did say that it's gotten worse in the last 15 years or so, with the coming of "teen pop" in the late 90s, which exclusively catered to that age group, and the rise of the Internet, which allowed what came after it to proliferate into the horrors we know today.

IvoryKeys said:
Not the same old "those darn kids and their rock 'n' roll music" story anymore. So I guess I'm adding to your statement above. Somethings changed. At any rate, change is good, and will hopefully lead us full circle and back to our musical roots. Something more organic.

2) Yep, you're adding to it. We've pretty much said the same thing, it seems. However, not all change is good. Some changes are very, very bad.

Until Beyonce can pull off something like this, she will just be another entertainer.....

I think it's not about the music anymore. Something is missing. I think that's why someone like Adele is doing so well. Her album is either #1 or 2 for months now. She said something interesting a magazine interview when asked about Lady gaga and beyonce who clearly wear sexy outfits etc to promote and she said that she makes music for the ears not the eyes. She wasn't saying anything bad about them but it was refreshing to hear that.

^Yeah, she totally told it like it is without resorting to explicitly "diss" people a la Christina Aguilera, or Avril Lavigne. I think the music speaks for itself, you know? Adele is the queen of everything at the moment, she's still very high on the charts, at least on iTunes and MySpace, whereas Gaga is starting to flunk, despite her new single's video accompaniment being released. I think people will get sick of her soon. Her only saving grace would be to start over with a new image, leave the pretentious "totally original rebel" b.s. at home, and get back on the piano where she belongs. Otherwise, she'll fade away as soon as the new fad comes around.

As for Beyonce, keeping the tread on subject...I think she should work on upgrading her image and sound as well. She's got better vocals than anyone in the pop industry except Christina, with P!nk being a close peer, vocal-wise. Too bad the two of them won't do a collaboration anytime soon, since from what I hear, P!nk cannot stand B.

As Amy Lee from Evanescence put it, in more explicit terms: "I'm a musician, not a stripper."

she said that she makes music for the ears not the eyes.

:wild:

I love Adele. :wub:

^Yeah, she totally told it like it is without resorting to explicitly "diss" people a la Christina Aguilera, or Avril Lavigne. I think the music speaks for itself, you know? Adele is the queen of everything at the moment, she's still very high on the charts, at least on iTunes and MySpace, whereas Gaga is starting to flunk, despite her new single's video accompaniment being released. I think people will get sick of her soon. Her only saving grace would be to start over with a new image, leave the pretentious "totally original rebel" b.s. at home, and get back on the piano where she belongs. Otherwise, she'll fade away as soon as the new fad comes around.

As for Beyonce, keeping the tread on subject...I think she should work on upgrading her image and sound as well. She's got better vocals than anyone in the pop industry except Christina, with P!nk being a close peer, vocal-wise. Too bad the two of them won't do a collaboration anytime soon, since from what I hear, P!nk cannot stand B.

As Amy Lee from Evanescence put it, in more explicit terms: "I'm a musician, not a stripper."

:agree:

Back