Sleep Paralysis

Pshh gurl... I cannot even explain how many times I've had this sh!t happen to me.

It started out when I was younger, around like 8 or nine years old, and it used to creep me the heck out. I'd be on the top of my bunkbed, laying on my back, couldn't move anything.... occasionally I could move a little bit, and even wake myself out of it, but most of the time I just had to deal with it. and the worst part was the touching; tickling sensations on my head, face, neck, and not in a funny way, cuz it scared me alot. And also, there would be that feeling in my mind that someone was near me, and I'd be a paranoid, hearin footsteps, vision half blurry. Plus, sometimes if I woke out of it, in a fraction of a second I'd go right back into it. Two or three times in a row, maybe.

Nowadays I still have it, but not as often(once a week maybe), and sometimes I just don't care. I didn't realize what it was until I was curious enough to search it a couple of months ago and came across a wiki page, and I went even further to see some vids on it at Utube. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with experience :lol: Well, the only way I deal with it is music, kinda. Put on my headphones and blast away, but not too loud. You can try it if ya like, I'm not sure if it'll work, but u can at least try. could calm you down some.

How is this going B. I.?? Did you find a solution to this???

Well heres an update for you guys! I started doing stress relieving remedies and well they have gone somewhat yet not completely gone. Yet I had my first night of sleep yesterday with out the condition itself and have actually slept 5 hours! I can't explain how relieved I feel! Yte once episode will happen yet it will not be as intense I feel that I can pull myself out of it much easier. I look into what is causing me stress throughout the day and try to alievate that the next morning. I'll come back with updates and Linda thank you so much for being a big sport on this! Providing all the information for me and those like me who are experiencing the same thing! Big big thanks to you and everyone who has posted! The support is great! :flowers: :clapping::better:

I will!!!!

Thank you so much, Linda!!! :)

I asked my mom about this. (she's a doctor) She said she doesn't know much about the condition, since it's not her speciality, but she agrees that it's most likely stress related or caused by a hectic sleeping schedule. She also pointed that if it happens really often and if there's anything special going on in your life at the moment, you could consider consulting a psychologist. (like Linda said, NOT that it would have anything to do with your sanity, but to help you find some peace of mind ;) )

I'm glad to hear that you've been better and that it's probably stress in your case :hug:

Good luck, B.I. :flowers:

It seems that this conditioin is widely unknown it surprises me how some have never heard of the disorder! LOL Unforunately those who experience it have trouble (well I did) tell my doctors at the time of its occurance. LOL I think I don't really need a psychologist, even though I know it has nothing to do with my sanity, I am so close to overcoming this myself that I will give it a few more tries and if I fall back to square one, I will contact doctors and such to see what is wrong. I think I let a build up of stress get in the way of my life, and it has resulted in these events. We'll see what will happen thank you for responding! I dearly appreciate it *Hugs*! Good luck with your friend as well! Tell her shes not alone, and she can do a self revaluation to see the small stress related things she can change. :huggy: :clapping::wild:

Thank you so much Angel! And good luck to your friend!

I have heard of this before. :yes:
I've never experienced it (thank God) but my twin sister has earlier this year. The story she told me was terrifying. She said that she woke up and she saw demons all around the bed and one of them was choking her. They were all chanting something but I forget what it was. We were in our dorm room at the time and I was on the top bunk and she was on the bottom. She said that she was calling my name but nothing came out. She told me about it the very next day, and the ironic thing was that just before she was going to bed, she said that she was wondering if God were really real. There were a lot of things going on in her life at that time that made her want to question. She took it as a sign that she shouldn't doubt his existence.
She has only had it that one time, so I don't think it will be happening again. I can't imagine what it would be like waking up and not being able to control your own body. I really hope that you and whoever else going through this will find a cure because it sounds horrifying!

Yes, you cannot speak when you are in poralysis the only control that you do have as stated before is the control of your breathing and your eye movement. It's like being in a dream yet you are awake and aware of everything around you.. Its the strangest yet the most terrifying thing that I have experienced. It's like being awake during the onset of night terrors. Your sister might want to look into her religious aspect of it, yet I don't think religion has anything to do with this, yet it can if you leave all your stress in God;s hands and continue striving to get better. :flowers:
At one point in time though, you feel as though you might be going insane, I know I did, I am finally glad I found the right information (thank you Linda) and I can start seperating myself from this disorder.
But yes tell your twin shes not alone, it can only get better! It is horrifying!

don't feel like ur alone...I have it...it used to happen alot more when i was a teenager...not so much anymore though, only when im stressed...
It can get very scary at times...you feel like everyhting is totally out of ur control...
I used to get really freaked out when i was younger and i would be consious but at the same time still in REM sleep and i would be having a nightmare about some dark presence in the room with me...but i was paralysed and couldn't move or talk!! Its different to a normal nightmare because u are actually awake but for some reason are still dreaming..and u are fully aware that u are awake and paralysed!

Its nice to know that im not the only who has this...not many ppl i know have evn heard of this condition!

Exactly it is hard to explain yet I think you summed it up quite nicely there... Being awake during a dream... Its the strangest thing ever. I am glad that I am not the only one on this board that is suffering from it. I do feel as though I am out of control, It feels as if I cannot control what will happen next. I find that the less I resist the more indepth, painful, sever it becomes. That is what I hate because my body experiences heavy fatigue, and sometimes I feel as though I can't pull myself through it.
you get the sensation of being watched. The fear makes it seem as though something is in there with you, like a demon, etc. and aliens (some may think laughable some may not. Due to information in several reports). It can be challenging at times.

No your not alone, I am glad I made this thread, it will shed light on a condition not many know of or experienced :flowers:

^^ Oh B. I.!! That's Great!! Just read my blogs - you'll be laughing to hard to get stressed out! LMAO!

Pshh gurl... I cannot even explain how many times I've had this sh!t happen to me.

It started out when I was younger, around like 8 or nine years old, and it used to creep me the heck out. I'd be on the top of my bunkbed, laying on my back, couldn't move anything.... occasionally I could move a little bit, and even wake myself out of it, but most of the time I just had to deal with it. and the worst part was the touching; tickling sensations on my head, face, neck, and not in a funny way, cuz it scared me alot. And also, there would be that feeling in my mind that someone was near me, and I'd be a paranoid, hearin footsteps, vision half blurry. Plus, sometimes if I woke out of it, in a fraction of a second I'd go right back into it. Two or three times in a row, maybe.

Nowadays I still have it, but not as often(once a week maybe), and sometimes I just don't care. I didn't realize what it was until I was curious enough to search it a couple of months ago and came across a wiki page, and I went even further to see some vids on it at Utube. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with experience :lol: Well, the only way I deal with it is music, kinda. Put on my headphones and blast away, but not too loud. You can try it if ya like, I'm not sure if it'll work, but u can at least try. could calm you down some.

Wow that sounds almost identical to what I and others have been having! You will hear things due to the contractions of our ear drums during this state of paralysis. Sometimes a lot of people will hear buzzing noise while others will hear laughter and footsteps!
your right it will happen several times in a row after the first one, and usually during those my body feels so tired (even though I may not be) It'll feel like I have been up for at least 3 days and then it happens once more. Strangely it just started happen at least two years ago, I just think this year I am growing tired of it, and I don't want it to take control completely, or take over and consume my life.
After I pulled myself out of it I usually get out of bed and walk around, or get something to drink until my body has readjusted itself back to normal! and you know I will try music Till, thank you so much! *Hugs*

You guys if you have any suggestions for stress relief of a way to get rid of Sleep Paralysis please post them here as you know I am not the only one here suffering with this condition :flowers:

~BI

^^ Oh B. I.!! That's Great!! Just read my blogs - you'll be laughing to hard to get stressed out! LMAO!

Thank you very much Linda you were a very big help in finding all the information and suggesting the remedies for stress relief!
During the night if it happens again, I'll log on for a good laugh at your blogs!! Thanks Linda! :huggy:

^^ You HAVE to read the one about How to Tell Someone Off in Style..no swearing involved. GUARANTEED to make you laugh!

You will hear things due to the contractions of our ear drums during this state of paralysis. Sometimes a lot of people will hear buzzing noise while others will hear laughter and footsteps! ~BI

Wow so thats what causes the noises! During a sleep paralysis episode I would have the feeling some dark figure was at the side of my bed and then I would hear this manic laughter sounding like it belonged to someone with a really deep voice...it would freak the hell out of me coz it felt like they were laughing right next to my ear...come to think of it now the sound was so close it could be explained by that movement of fluid in the middle ear...but since I was in the 'sleep paralysis' dream state i interpreted the noise as a demon manically laughing! lol

To be honest I haven't had a sleep paralysis episode for at least 8 months...and it was occuring less frequently even before that...I don't why its starting to go away...maybe im just a lot less stressed then I used to be...

Do u know if this disorder is a herediatary thing or whether it affects girls more than boys? Coz my mum and my sisters also have this but none of my brothers do..hmmmm

To all, I have a CD called "Relaxation".. If you go to your local bookstore, I bet you can find a lot of audio/video CDs on Relaxation Techniques. I feel bad for some who suffer from this continually - B.I., you seem to be heading in the right direction with this. Remember, that this has a lot to do with stress. The mind-body connection is a strange one....and we still don't really know about this connection, but it is there.

also if yu train meditiation then it somtimes not all the time possible to tell yourslef your still sleeping when you wake up and panic cause you cant move
\do you only have the not being able yto moce thing cause they re also pple who have when they wake up they reach like a state where their mind plays tricks on them they see shadows and think pple are around them thas someting my aunt had she d panic always but itn went away as sudden as it started after a few month or so hope it will go away for you too

Back