Sir Bob Geldof speech at the Brit Awards 1996

from Wikipedia re We Are the World:

"According to music critic and Bruce Springsteen biographer Dave Marsh, "We Are the World" was not widely accepted within the rock music community.[45] The author revealed that the song was "despised" for what it was not: "a rock record, a critique of the political policies that created the famine, a way of finding out how and why famines occur, an all-inclusive representation of the entire worldwide spectrum of post-Presley popular music".[45] Marsh revealed that he felt some of the criticisms were right, while others were silly.[45] He claimed that despite the sentimentality of the song, "We Are the World" was a large-scale pop event with serious political overtones."

Last edited:
Here is Geldof on June 26, 2009 trying to take credit for We Are the World:

He began his comments today by paying tribute to Jackson, co-writer of We Are The World, who died of a suspected heart attack in Los Angeles late yesterday.

"Firstly, my condolences and sympathy go to Michael Jackson's family," Geldof said. "Twenty five years ago I asked Michael to write a song – We are the World along with Lionel [Ritchie] and Quincy [Jones] – and [today]reminds me what he achieved for poor people of the world and what he achieved musically."

(The Los Angeles-based music manager Ken Kragen later took issue with Bob Geldof's claim to have commissioned We Are The World. Involving Michael Jackson was, he said, the idea of musician Quincy Jones. Kragen's account appears in a footnote at the end of this piece.)

Annan added: "The poorer and least developed nations will be hit hardest by the impact of climate change. [The Copenhagen deal] must be based on climate justice… polluters must pay."

David Jones, the global chief executive of advertising agency network Havas Worldwide, also unveiled the global strapline for the campaign in Cannes today — "Tck Tck Tck".

Jones said that the line was a digital version the word "tick" and represented the countdown of a clock ticking in the battle against climate change.

The strapline features in a "dogtag"-style logo in different colours and first appeared today in advertising in copies of USA Today being distributed at Cannes.

He added that the "Tck Tck Tck" logo is being made available as a digital download in the hope that consumers might latch onto it in the same way as they did for cyclist Lance Armstrong's famous yellow "Live Strong" cancer awareness wrist bands, which proved a global success.

A second, and equally important, aim is to convince the world's advertisers to give up a small part of their global TV, press and digital campaigns to feature the logo

"The great thing about [backing] this in a recession is that it is free. If just 1% to 2% of the world's advertisers did this over the next six months it would be the biggest campaign of the year," said Jones.

• This footnote was appended to this article on 29 June 2009, extracted from a letter received from music manager Ken Kragen in Los Angeles. Of Michael Jackson's role in writing We Are The World, he says: "I received a call from Harry Belafonte on 23 December 1985 saying that he was upset that more black artists were not involved with Bob Geldof's Do They Know It's Christmas and suggesting we do a concert with the many African American Artists (Michael Jackson, Lionel Richie, Prince, etc) who were dominating the US record charts and raise money for the same cause - African Relief - that Geldof's project was targeting. I responded that we should take our inspiration from Do They Know It's Christmas, and do a song with the top US artists, black and white.

"Belafonte agreed so I immediately drove over to the house of my then client, Lionel Richie, and discussed the project with him. He was totally receptive and we discussed bringing Stevie Wonder in to write the song with Lionel. We tried to reach Stevie all night with no luck but in the meantime I got my other clients Kenny Rogers, Kim Carnes and Lindsey Buckingham on board to perform and reached Quincy Jones just as he was boarding a plane for Christmas vacation in Hawaii. Quincy said we should involve Michael Jackson and called back within minutes saying he'd talked to Michael and he not only wanted to perform on the record but also write the song with Stevie and Lionel.

"Stevie agreed and then promptly disappeared (he went off to Philadelphia for a month but no one knew where he was). So with considerable push from Quincy, Lionel and Michael eventually got down to writing the song, completing it just in time for the demo session where we made the tapes for the artists I had been able to line up to sing. I invited Bob Geldof to come to Los Angeles to participate in the recording and he and I became friends during that period."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jun/26/cannes-lions-bob-geldof-climate-change

:wtf2, Ken Cragen thought it was appropriate Geldof to be there because he organized the Do They Know It's Christmas reunion and saw in advance what was happening in Ethiopia, that was it. Another one hit wonder dude jumped to the bandwagon to use Michael for the millionth time to get attention, typical!

Last edited:
I thought Geldof's speech is good, but hearing how he remembers that moments on how he remembers Michael, that's sounds a little disrespectful of him, I wish he could've watch what we he said because none of us will respect him anymore.

That name Jarvis Cocker still urkes me, I wanna give that drunken @$$ punk a piece of my mind I wanna punch and spit at him and ruin his performances to see what is like what he did to Michael. He still sucks @$$ big time.

That name Jarvis Cocker still urkes me, I wanna give that drunken @$$ punk a piece of my mind I wanna punch and spit at him and ruin his performances to see what is like what he did to Michael. He still sucks @$$ big time.

:rollin:

Don't mind him at all. That's the only thing he is going to be remembered, he has nothing else to show from his "career".

Bonnie Blue;3779329 said:
Really? Do not get me started on st 'give us the f**king money' geldof. He's classed himself as a non dom so he pays no tax on his oversesas earnings, has his two multi-million £ houses registered to off-shore companies so pays no tax on them. He pleads the case for governments to give more money in aid to africa but hasn't apparently twigged that governments only have money because people pay taxes. So 'give us your f**king money' actually means 'give us your f**king money but i'll keep mine in my bank account thanks very much.' He is the biggest hypocrite, and to think he has the nerve to criticise mj for not understanding how charity works?? Out of all celebrities, mj understood the true meaning of charity.

Bob Geldoff is a well known ass.

I waitressed at an event he was at where loads of celebrities were there, and a friend of mine was serving his table and to do that she has to speak to each person individually quickly to ask a few things, would you like red or white wine, blah blah. Bob refused to even look at or speak to my friend. He ignored her throughout the entire meal. The person next to him seemed embarrassed and was speaking for him, yes he wanted red wine, whatever. She'd been a fan of his but said he was a complete asshole. Nobody else had any problems with anyone at that party except Bob.

I've heard endless stories like that about him, everyone who'd worked at an event he was at had the same story about him. He's arrogant and rude. It's no wonder his kids are complete messes.

jamba;3779515 said:
from Wikipedia re We Are the World:

"According to music critic and Bruce Springsteen biographer Dave Marsh, "We Are the World" was not widely accepted within the rock music community.[45] The author revealed that the song was "despised" for what it was not: "a rock record, a critique of the political policies that created the famine, a way of finding out how and why famines occur, an all-inclusive representation of the entire worldwide spectrum of post-Presley popular music".[45] Marsh revealed that he felt some of the criticisms were right, while others were silly.[45] He claimed that despite the sentimentality of the song, "We Are the World" was a large-scale pop event with serious political overtones."

Are there any big sort of anthems about the world and charity that go in depth into political policies, how famines occur, that represent the entire spectrum of the worldwide post-Presley popular music?

Songs like that work like nursery rhymes, you have to keep them simple to get everyone to sing along to them. I remember we would sing this and Heal The World also at our Christmas assemblies at school. There aren't exactly many songs which talk about the political policies in Africa that children can sing along to.

Songs like that work like nursery rhymes, you have to keep them simple to get everyone to sing along to them. I remember we would sing this and Heal The World also at our Christmas assemblies at school. There aren't exactly many songs which talk about the political policies in Africa that children can sing along to.

Yes, and I think Michael even said that about We Are The World: that he wanted it to be a catchy, easy to sing along tune. It accomplished its goal. No one thinks that charity songs will suddenly stop the problems of the world. Songs which talk about the politics in Africa and elsewhere can't do that either.

In 1985 we could read about the famine in newspapers and see it in the news on tv .
I don´t remember but there were probably many political discussions about it.

What we needed to hear was this;

"We can't go on pretending day by day
That someone, somehow will soon make a change
We are all a part of Gods great big family"

"So lets start giving"

" we all must lend a helping hand"

"Let us realize that a change can only come
When we stand together as one"

It´s really important words

Are there any big sort of anthems about the world and charity that go in depth into political policies, how famines occur, that represent the entire spectrum of the worldwide post-Presley popular music?

Of course. Jackson's blame it on the boogie.
Do i get a prize or something? :D

What i hate about the whole Jarvis Cocker thing is that say if the situation was the other way around and Cocker was ''posing as Jesus'' and MJ stormed on stage in protest. People would have still put the blame on MJ for interrupting somebody else's performance.

If Michael did what Jarvis did then the headlines the next day would have been ''W*** J*** storms stage and ruins an artists performance''

Am i the only one who sees the double standards in the media when it comes to Michael and other celebrities?

If Mike had done that he would have been arrested for public indecency and I'm sure also sexually abusing children.

Much like 2005, Sneddon would've made sure he interrogated any child present or who had watched it on TV for a vivid as description of MJ's buttocks as he could get, and also anyone who thought they also saw part of his genitals, I'm sure he would have even waved the photos about in their faces so it could trigger their memories.

Yeaaaaaah. Michael is soooo clueless, right. Somebody (who according to his mother...) vows in tears to do whatever is in his power to help the starving... is NOT clueless. The portrayal of "Michael, the artistic and aloof weirdo freak who gets lost in his own closet" is just astounding. There a few things that piss me off more. I don't usually curse.

Was everyone who donated after "Do they know" examined if they had the right amount of genuine charity vs northern hemisphere guilt?? Were they only able to donate if they they could place the issue on the correct continent??
m959fmjpg.gif

Lastly, charity is charity and hats off to that. Really.

And with that, 'scuse me while I order some organic avocado, eat some traumatized fish from a fish farm while I make my monthly donation.

And when I'm done with that, I will go back to kissing this amazing chest and enjoying the 'hubris', ya know. I LOVE being motivated by a gorgeous, 'clueless' man who knows drama - not just Greek one! He's amazing.

2e13943a.gif

Some interesting reading http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/j...problem-with-god-is-he-thinks-hes-bob-geldof/

The problem with God is He thinks He's Bob Geldof

Bob Geldof is a rich man. According to the Sunday Times rich list he is worth £32 million and like most rich people he is understandably keen to hang on to his fortune. That's why, very sensibly, he gives no more of his money away to the Government than he has to. As a registered non-dom he is legally entitled to avoid income and capital gains tax on international earnings. Those of us without non-dom status may envy him the privilege, but we can hardly blame him for it: after all we most of us know that we'd do a much better job of spending (and saving) our money than ever the poltroons in the various agencies of government do.
Where we can – and should – criticise the saintly "Sir" Bob (his KBE is honorary) is over the position he takes on aid to the third world. Geldof believes that our government should give more of it. But since our government has no money of its own – only what it borrows, takes through taxation, or prints – what he's actually saying is that he thinks that we poor bloody taxpayers should give more of our money to the third world. Those of us unfortunate enough not to have non-dom status, that would be.
In today's Times a very courageous interviewer takes Geldof to task on this issue. Here's the relevant bit:
So how much is he worth? “I’m not telling you. But I am rich, let’s be clear.”
Anyway, he says, that is irrelevant. Is it? He wants governments to give more aid. But aid comes from tax. Wealthy people want to be as tax efficient as legally possible, restricting the amount of aid governments can afford to give.
Can he understand why some might get annoyed when rich rock stars campaign about poverty?
He explodes with rage. “I pay all my taxes. My time? Is that not a tax? I employ 500 people [through his production companies]. I have created business for the UK government. I have given my ideas. I have given half my life to this.”
People are beginning to look. His advisers suggest we take it somewhere more private. He is now yelling, jabbing his finger at me, as he demands to know how many irrigation channels I’ve built with my salary. Having been so candid throughout our trip, he seems offended that I have raised the issue. “How dare you lecture me about morals.”
But isn’t there an inherent contradiction there?
After much swearing, hissing and spitting, it’s clear the conversation is over. It is a shame. I like him. He has done so much more than many others. Without Geldof, let’s face it, I wouldn’t be writing about Ethiopian farming policy. For four days, Ethiopians have rushed to greet him and have their photograph taken. The previous night, staff at his hotel surprised him with a cake, saying “Thank you”.
But the aid debate is messy, complex and contradictory. They are legitimate questions.
Indeed they are. Geldof seems to have fallen victim here to Bono syndrome: the delusion that his saintly outreach work among the world's poor and oppressed somehow renders him beyond the realm of ordinary mortals.
So, for example, when you or I slave away at our jobs, the time we spend at work is just time.
But when Geldof expends his own time it's so valuable it magically transubstantiates into a form of taxation.
Give us a break, Bob.
You've earned your money and you're welcome to spend it on as many irrigation ditches as you like – satin-lined ones with special little juke boxes attached which play I Don't Like Mondays, if that's what takes your fancy. It is, as you would no doubt say, your ****ing money, and what you do with it is – or ought to be – your own ****ing affair.
But here's the thing: when it comes to the issue of our money, that is not your affair, but our affair. It is not for rock stars to urge our government to squander it on schemes to help struggling Indians to buy more fighter jets or African dictators to buy more ebony and platinum statues of themselves modelled on Julius Caesar because most of us who have read anything about the subject happen to be aware that it is a complete ****ing waste of time.
Trade, good. Free markets, good.

Aid, bad. Tax, bad.
Economics 101 over. Now shut up and leave us alone.

Back