Sing! Thriller Netflix special

I like things like these. It introduces new generations to MJ’s music in ways they’ll consume and get invested in. Hopefully it’s a good one!
I don´t know the "Sing"-series, but the fact that NETFLIX does this tells me that Michael Jackson hasn´t been cancelled at all. I mean, would Netflix take any risks?? lol. And many other projects show this as well (e.g. Michael being the subject of university lectures, books, musicals, you name it).

Certain people keep screaming that MJ has been or should be cancelled. Reality shows it isn´t happening! :ROFLMAO: :love:

Sing 1 came out in 2016 and grossed 634m against a 75m budget

Sing 2 came out in 2021 and grossed 408.4m against an 85m budget [biggest animated film of that year]

This is fantastic, honestly. I wonder what the licensing process was. We know MJE are insanely selective - maybe this is part of Sony owning half the catalogue now.

"Sing: Thriller, based on Michael Jackson’s short film of the same name, is headed to Netflix. In the animated Illumination short, Buster Moon, a charismatic koala played by Matthew McConaughey, and the Sing cast head to a Halloween party, after a successful performance of “Thriller” at the New Moon Theater. As the crew arrive at rock star Clay Calloway’s (Bono) Halloween bash, a multi-colored ooze has transformed the party host and his guests into dancing critters.

Garth Jennings, who worked on both Sing and Sing 2, will direct. Many characters from the Sing franchise will make their return for the animated short, including Tori Kelly as Meena, Nick Kroll as Gunter, Scarlett Johansson as Ash, Taron Egerton as Johnny, and Jennings as Miss Crawly."

Last edited:
I watched it. I'm pissed.

While the special itself was great, and a modern fun twist on the film, it is overshadowed for me by the completely respectful end credits that BARELY credit Michael Jackson. It only says "Based on the Short Film Michael Jackson's Thriller" and then a standalone credit that says "THRILLER"
Music and Lyrics by
Rod Temperton

Michael Jackson is mentioned no where else nor has ANY other credit.

WTF.

And while Rod Temperton absolutely deserves credit, so does Quincy Jones, John Landis, Michael Peters, and Vincent Price. BUT SO DOES MICHAEL JACKSON

While the special itself was great, and a modern fun twist on the film, it is overshadowed for me by the completely respectful end credits that BARELY credit Michael Jackson. It only says "Based on the Short Film Michael Jackson's Thriller" and then a standalone credit that says "THRILLER"
Music and Lyrics by
Rod Temperton

WTF.

And while Rod Temperton absolutely deserves credit, so does Quincy Jones, John Landis, Michael Peters, and Vincent Price. BUT SO DOES MICHAEL JACKSON

Can you give us an overview of what it was like, as not everyone has Netflix and will be able to watch it : )

Music and Lyrics by
Rod Temperton

WTF.

Relax Spidey it’s all good. I just watched it miles better than the MJ Halloween special.

Relax Spidey it’s all good. I just watched it miles better than the MJ Halloween special.
I liked the MJ Halloween special for what it was. And while I agree the short itself is good and a nice spin on the classic, the fact that it BARELY credits Michael Jackson is an insult. "Based on the short film Michael Jackson's Thriller" is saying they just based this on the music video without giving any credit whatsoever to the talent that made this thing what it is.

Music and Lyrics by
Rod Temperton

WTF.

How else are they gonna credit it?

Give it a rest. Some of you complain about everything. Blah blah blah. Nothing good to say don’t say anything at all.
I appreciate some of the fans on this forum are relatively new and lack a lot of historical context of how Michael Jackson has been repeatedly misrepresented, under appreciated, and otherwise pushed down by the media, Hollywood elite, music industry, and more over the years. He put up an incredibly successful fight while alive. But now his legacy is increasingly under threat. Perhaps now more than ever. And to passively allow or be okay with things like this slowly chip away at his greatness and importance. Wake up and join the fight…not a passenger of this machine.

For those who have seen this, think about it this way…forget everything you know about Michael Jackson. Watch this from the perspective of the new generation. And then ask yourself, ‘what indication at ALL in this short shows you the degree to which Michael Jackson made Thriller what it is?’ ‘Where do I even see Michael Jackson in this?’ You will be hard pressed to think he had any involvement at all, when the entire concept, execution, dominance, and lasting legacy of this film is because of him, his art, and his work. Credit Temperton? Absolutely. But to credit Michael Jackson as a mere adjective? Disgusting.

I appreciate some of the fans on this forum are relatively new and lack a lot of historical context of how Michael Jackson has been repeatedly misrepresented, under appreciated, and otherwise pushed down by the media, Hollywood elite, music industry, and more over the years. He put up an incredibly successful fight while alive. But now his legacy is increasingly under threat. Perhaps now more than ever. And to passively allow or be okay with things like this slowly chip away at his greatness and importance. Wake up and join the fight…not a passenger of this machine.
Still don't understand what you're unhappy about and what you would want them to do instead of saying it was based on Thriller.

I’m not a new fan. You are just rambling nonsense here with this. Be happy Thriller is in the spotlight so that means MJ is to. There is no Thriller without MJ everyone knows this. Thriller the video is too scary to show little kids so the Sing crew is showing some love WTF is wrong with that. I’m done…Spidey senses are haywire.

Bro just put the fries in the bag

Back