Should People Separate the Man from the Music? I say NEVER!

I keep hearing people say how they separate the man from the music or how that is how people will be able to remember his musical legacy.

I just don't understand it. I don't understand why you would want to do so and how you would ever understand and truly enjoy the words and sound of his music without knowing him as a man. "Will You Be There" stands out to me when I hear how he sings the words "I'm only human." To me, Michael's music was what it was because of the person-the man-that he was. His lyrics-even in the sexiest songs-still found their way to be respectful and easily accepted by those of all ages. That is no longer common and expected in music lyrics today. But, that was because of Michael's standards as a person.

The themes of Michael's music came from what he was a man cared about and thought about. All of those different but powerful themes. They were in his heart and thoughts.

How he composed music, recorded music, and danced to music --all intensely tied to his personal persistence, reach for perfection, internal connection to the beats and rhythms that few ever feel or hear in music.

The emotion in the songs-whether happy, sad, or angry-were built on his own emotions and experiences. We got the intensity because that is how he experienced things; his own emotions were intense. We got the contradictions because he was a man of complexities (not simplification that for some reason our society seems to celebrate so much even though it is proving to stifle our society in every stretch of the imagination).

The music and dance was accepted across generations, races, ethnicities, borders because he as a man embraced and emboldened and made it his priority to put all around him at ease. It had to come out through his music to those that listened.

And most importantly, the spirituality in his music was there because of the deep spirituality in him as a man. The spirituality surpassed religious identification. It upheld oneness with nature, spirits, and the Heavens.

Michael Jackson did not ever try to present himself as perfect with no flaws or imperfections. Actually, more than anyone he wore his heart on his sleeve. He didn't try to hide who he was-the good or the bad. The world simply chose not to look at who he really was--a man who experienced pain, misjudgments, hurt, sadness along with incredible joys, pride, happiness, and extreme generosity. He was a humble man who had a creativity and imagination that were both larger than life.

So, for me, I don't think that one could ever separate the man from the music. The music was all about the man. Love you forever, Michael Jackson!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this post classic! I feel you x1000! I've been thinking the same thing when people keep talking about his legacy and just focusing on his music and it's been making me so mad :mat:!

I don't have time to comment right now, but I will be back to agree some more! :D

@classic: Props to you for making this thread. The topic you brought up is what I myself have thought about for a long time.

There are some people who enjoy Michael's music but are not interested in or don't care much about him as a person. They don't bash him or anything like that, they just don't really think about him much outside music.

I think these are the ones who strictly separate the man from the music. Well, I don't think that means they are not entitled to be called or perceive themselves as "MJ fans". I'd say they belong to one type of fans among all the MJ fans.

For me, caring about the man is what completes the meaning of being a loyal fan. Love for the music is what is nessessary to begin to look at yourself as a fan, but it cannot be the only aspect of what it means to be a fan for some people including me and many others here.

Last edited:
For me, caring about the man is what completes the meaning of being a loyal fan. Love for the music is what is nessessary to begin to look at yourself as a fan, but it cannot be the only aspect of what it means to be a fan for some people including me and many others here.

well said. BTW, I think that talk about the man and the music is happening because certain people can't accept Michael has finally won. so they say: "OK, it's not the man anyway, it's just the music". They tried to destroy the man in people's hearts, but failed ;-)

I had something like this happen yesterday after the memeorial. My friend text me (who's a mj hater but after he dissed mj and I hung up on him and didn't talk to him for days, he's hasn't said anything mean so far now)

He sends me a message asking what song Jermaine sung, I told him, then said that he wasn't going to lie and that he liked all the songs performed.

I said that's why he shouldn't have been so quick to judge and that basicly he was late.

He then said "Whatever it's not him I like but the music." I didn't bother replying.

Like many highly talented people Michael Jackson was his art, his music. His music was his life.

If he had personal deficiencies as some alleged, it was because he was so focused on his music that he didn't fully develop what society might consider normal behavior. He may have been so absorbed with his music that he didn't understand the dangers of the medications he was given. They were just something that helped him forget about the limits his body imposed on what he wanted to do as an artist.

Back