Short Popular Fads?

Karice

Proud Member
Anybody got any short fads that were mocked when the fad was over?

I have a couple of fads.

1.The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers(AKA The Original Power Rangers, 1994/1995) This was a huge fad. Kids loved this show and couldn't WAIT to get home and watch this show. By the next year, these same kids were insulting other kids who still watched PR. They would say stuff like, "You're such a baby! You watch PR!"(Notice, it wasnt you STILL watch PR, it was you watch PR.)

2.The Macarena- This dance took EVERYBODY by storm! Even the Prez was doing it(Bill Clinton) This was a hit done by Los Del Rio then remade by the Bayside Boys. Everybody was doing this dance. A short time later, people got sick of the Macarena and The Macarena was put on virtually every "Worst Songs" list in the US(This is a song that for a short time was incredibly loved. Oh wait. That was the DANCE that was really loved, not the actual song). I even saw a tape of "How To Do The Macarena" in a thrift store for $1.00! (I didn't buy it)

Remeber Shrinky dinks and Cabbage Patch Kids?

Back in the 70's the Pet Rock and Mood Rings were big fads. I never had that stupid Pet Rock but I had a Mood Ring. CB radios were big. Lava lamps. Disco. The Hustle. Farrah's feathered hair. Earth shoes, lol. I could go on...

The 80's brought Rubix Cubes. Neon clothes. Cabbage Patch dolls. Break dancing. Atari, Pac Man, Walkman! Oh, I remember getting my first Walkman!

They would say stuff like, "You're such a baby! You watch PR!"(Notice, it wasnt you STILL watch PR, it was you watch PR.)

The difference is that the word, "Still" implies that the Power Rangers were once cool. :)

Back in the 70's the Pet Rock and Mood Rings were big fads. I never had that stupid Pet Rock but I had a Mood Ring. CB radios were big. Lava lamps. Disco. The Hustle. Farrah's feathered hair. Earth shoes, lol. I could go on...

The 80's brought Rubix Cubes. Neon clothes. Cabbage Patch dolls. Break dancing. Atari, Pac Man, Walkman! Oh, I remember getting my first Walkman!

breakin was not a fad, i would say it was more of a counter culture movement of the urban youths with the birth of Hip Hop similarly to Punk and historically there is a lot behind why "bboyin',breakin" started.

Anybody got any short fads that were mocked when the fad was over?

I have a couple of fads.

1.The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers(AKA The Original Power Rangers, 1994/1995) This was a huge fad. Kids loved this show and couldn't WAIT to get home and watch this show. By the next year, these same kids were insulting other kids who still watched PR. They would say stuff like, "You're such a baby! You watch PR!"(Notice, it wasnt you STILL watch PR, it was you watch PR.)

2.The Macarena- This dance took EVERYBODY by storm! Even the Prez was doing it(Bill Clinton) This was a hit done by Los Del Rio then remade by the Bayside Boys. Everybody was doing this dance. A short time later, people got sick of the Macarena and The Macarena was put on virtually every "Worst Songs" list in the US(This is a song that for a short time was incredibly loved. Oh wait. That was the DANCE that was really loved, not the actual song). I even saw a tape of "How To Do The Macarena" in a thrift store for $1.00! (I didn't buy it)

I am so glad that those 2 was a short lived fad. Especially that 2nd one. I was in my mid teens when that song and dance came out. And I had really hated that horrid song and dance back then and I still hate it now.

I too remember them.

I also remember these following fads:

Slap bracelets fad of the late 80s and early 90s. Then again I also remember the banning of the slap bracelets in schools. Cause kids were getting injured by them. And I could never figure that out. Because I used to have some slap bracelets back then. And I had never gotten injured with my slap bracelets. And I was always playing with them.

Jelly shoes this was a huge fad for little girls in the 80s. I should know because before I became obsessed with LA Gear high top sneakers. I was obsessed with jelly shoes. I was always constantly wearing them especially during the summer. I remember having all sorts of colors of them.

Koosh balls was an awesome fad back in the late 80s. I so loved them I even remember having an all purple one. Which I had some how had lost at my church many years ago.

Strawberry Short Cake and Rainbow Brite fads I so totally Loved them back in the 80s. And I still do loved them now. I still even have my Rainbow Brite and Strawberry Short Cake dolls up in my bedroom closet.

I also remember the Garbage Pail Kids fad. This one I am very familiar with since my brother had some of those disgusting cards.

The Ty Beanie Babies fad in the 90s. Back then I could never understand this fad. I had practically hated the Beanie Babies back then. Because I couldn't really understand the obsession that people had with them. Until I saw the Beanie Babies collection that my aunt had. And I started to really see why people were obsessed with them. I still like to collect them now. Though I haven't gotten any of them in a long time. I have a huge purple container full of Beanie Babies. I think I have either close to or over 300 of them now.

And I also remember the Furby fad of the late 90s. I even remember how I had wanted one of them. But they were just so very hard to find back then. Because the stores were always sold out of them.

There are other fads that I remember but these is all I am going to name right now.

What about the Pokemon fad?
That isn't really a fad considering how after Red / Blue / Yellow there has been:

Silver / Gold / Crystal
Ruby / Sapphire / Emerald
Leaf Green / Fire Red
Pearl / Diamond / Platinum
Soul Silver / Heart Gold

With another generation on the way...confirmed to be Black and White...it don't matter if you're black white, heehee.

The mention of Furby reminded me of this one: Tickle Me Elmo.

I was a kid when it came out, but even then the appeal of that toy was lost on me. So you tickle Elmo and he laughs, and that's it. You're supposed to do that all day?

Not that there aren't other toys like it out there, of course.

Jelly shoes this was a huge fad for little girls in the 80s. I should know because before I became obsessed with LA Gear high top sneakers. I was obsessed with jelly shoes. I was always constantly wearing them especially during the summer. I remember having all sorts of colors of them.

Jelly shoes became a big trend in the mid-70's. I had red ones! :)

Jelly shoes became a big trend in the mid-70's. I had red ones! :)

It pretty much shows how old we are. But I can see you are older than me. I am only 30 years old. I didn't know jelly shoes were around in the 70s. I thought they came out in the 80s. The jelly shoes I had were the neon colored ones. Like pink, purple, and green. And it was always popular for the girls to wear them without any socks on. Which is what I always did.

I also remember wearing jelly bracelets. Madonna had made them popular by always wearing them. I remember being quite the Madonna fan back in the 80s. Well she and Michael were my number 1 favorite singers back then. Michael still is of course my number 1 favorite male singer. Any way I had wanted to dress just like her. But I was a little too young to be wearing her style of clothes. Since I was too young to be wearing her clothing style. At least I could still wear the bracelets that she had worn.

And can anyone please tell me what are pogs? I might remember them but I'm not sure.

That isn't really a fad considering how after Red / Blue / Yellow there has been:

Silver / Gold / Crystal
Leaf Green / Fire Red
Soul Silver / Heart Gold

With another generation on the way...confirmed to be Black and White...it don't matter if you're black white, heehee.

Well if your gonna go by that then that must mean that Power Rangers wasn't really a fad because after Mighty Morphin Power Rangers there has been

Power Rangers Zeo
Power Rangers Turbo
Power Rangers In Space
Power Rangers Lost Galaxy
Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue
Power Rangers Time Force
Power Rangers Wild Force
Power Rangers Dino Thunder
Power Rangers S.P.D
Power Rangers Operation Overdrive

and there may be one or two that i missed

MJsBollywoodGirl, you are totally reminding me of so many trends of my childhood, like slap bracelets and jellies and Garbage Pail Kids! Wow, I'd forgotten about a lot of that!

Pogs info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogs
I remember them as these little cardboard discs that you bought and could win from your friends in pog competition. I remember carefully deciding which pogs to "bet" in play based on which ones I really liked!

MJsBollywoodGirl, you are totally reminding me of so many trends of my childhood, like slap bracelets and jellies and Garbage Pail Kids! Wow, I'd forgotten about a lot of that!

I remember them as these little cardboard discs that you bought and could win from your friends in pog competition. I remember carefully deciding which pogs to "bet" in play based on which ones I really liked!

I had such a huge Pog collection! Pogs ruled!

Your very welcome. And now I remember what Pogs are. My mother's husband's 2 of his nephews had them. And I do remember playing Pogs with them once. I was like an year or 2 older than them. And I still couldn't quite understand them. I guess they really weren't my kind of thing back then.

New Kids on the Block. But now all the haters are going to their reunion concerts ;)

Remember the slammers? I had a nice sparkly one with a unicorn on it. There were those colored cylindrical containers that held the pogs and slammers, too. I never really got into the game either, I just collected some because it was the fad.

I thought of another one, although for years afterwards I would still see people using them: Those little mini backpacks. I had two. :D

Beanie Babies in the 90's! And there was this huge but short-lived fad of high platform shoes in the form of runners (trainers). :lol:

Beanie Babies in the 90's!

I remember those, I treated them like they were worth more than life itself LOL. I still have them, with all the plastic encased tags. :lol:

I collected Beanie Babies for a while. And I had a Furbie. In fact, I still have the stupid thing, lol. And my nephews/niece (true 80's kids) had Garbage Pail Kids trading cards. I thought they were cute. I think I saved some of them in a box at my mom's.

Back in the 70's designer jeans were all the rage. I had one good pair that my sister and I begged our mother for...Jordache Jeans. I LOVED those jeans, they fit me perfectly (I was very skinny then). The tighter they were the better. Those days are long gone, heh.

I remember those, I treated them like they were worth more than life itself LOL. I still have them, with all the plastic encased tags. :lol:

:lol:
It was crazy. Parents would queue at toy shops to get their kids the limited edition items. :bugeyed
I wasn't taken in by fads so I only got one or two, haha!

- Tamagotchis, nanos
- Pogs!!!
- Yo-yos
- Bandanas (lolll especially the one that came attached to a headband)

What about the Pokemon fad?

Silver / Gold / Crystal
Leaf Green / Fire Red
Soul Silver / Heart Gold

Well if your gonna go by that then that must mean that Power Rangers wasn't really a fad because after Mighty Morphin Power Rangers there has been

Power Rangers Zeo
Power Rangers Turbo
Power Rangers In Space
Power Rangers Lost Galaxy
Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue
Power Rangers Time Force
Power Rangers Wild Force
Power Rangers Dino Thunder
Power Rangers S.P.D
Power Rangers Operation Overdrive

and there may be one or two that i missed

The stuff in bold weren't fads. They had lasting power.

that's my generation too. I still love most of those! lol. Walkman yeah..I remember when I'd listen to the radio all the time with a cassette in my 'boom box' waiting to record my favourite songs and make a mixtape.

Back