Say Say Say - Who Owns It? MJ or PM?

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date

Dangerous Incorporated

Guests
Can someone please tell me who owns the rights to Say Say Say? The reason why I ask is because previously it was considered a McCartney track as it appears on his Pipes Of Peace album as well as another compilation of McCartney's but now its being offered as a choice for MJs KoP album due in the fall.

Last edited:
It's part of Paul McCartney's Back Catalogue ;)

btw, you got a PM w8ing :D

Last edited:
Can someone please tell me who owns the rights to Say Say Say? The reason why I ask is because previously it was considered a McCartney track as it appears on his Pipes Of Peace album as well as another compilation of McCartney's but now its being offered as a choice for MJs KoP album due in the fall.​

Well Last I saw on The MPL Communications Website. Paul Owns The song in his catalog and even though Mike and Paul wrote it ,( and They wrote several songs) It was put on His album Pipes of Peace and Paul McCartney's Greatest Hits,(I have Both in CDs and POP in a LP with Michael's pic in it.)
It is also on The McCartney years DVD with The Video.
If the song is on the new kop album ,Then I believe Mike and Paul talked it over and let the fans have this great song on a MJ Cd finally.you know that in the 80s it was a practice to have songs of both writers on eachothers albums.Why MJ didn't do it then is what I want to know ?
Now We need to see Get It and All I do(is dream about you) w Stevie Wonder,Who's Right Who's wrong w Kenny Loggins,The Dude w Quincy Jones,Whaz Up wit u w Eddie Murphy and Somebody's Watching Me and Tell me I'm not Dreamin.:punk:
Most songs He sang Backup and some songs are duets.

If Paul owns it then MJ obviously got permission to use it then. Would that indicate that they are friends again cuz the last interview I saw, Paul seemed to still hold a grudge over MJ buying the catalogue.

EDIT: Soz Korgnex, I didnt see it.

Last edited:
Paul doesn't own it 100%, definitely.
IfMj co-wrote the song, then he would be paid writers royalty, but the song may well be on Pauls catalogue. It is possible that the 2 did a trade off as far as royalties are concerned, meaning that paul would keep everything on SSS while MJ koops everything on Girl friend and GIM. Who knows how they work these things out.

im sure when i loaded Paul greatest hits into my comp it said the composer for Say say say was Michael jackson and Paul.

IfMj co-wrote the song, then he would be paid writers royalty, but the song may well be on Pauls catalogue. It is possible that the 2 did a trade off as far as royalties are concerned, meaning that paul would keep everything on SSS while MJ koops everything on Girl friend and GIM. Who knows how they work these things out.

Michael don't work that way. I think it's the most probable that the song is 50/50.

The same with The Man as it appears only on McCartney's releases. However both MJ & PM wrote it.

Then why didn't Michael put it on his album? Could it be that it didn't make the cut? Which album weould it have been on, is it Thriller?

I think it was kinda Thriller outtake. So it could have been on the album just like The Girl Is Mine was. The Girl Is Mine was the best song of those sessions so of course Michael put it on Thriller. All the rest more "average" songs were good enough to release thou. No one thought the "Say Say Say" would be #1 in any country, I think. But the Thriller success made it #1.

I mean technically every average song that time around would have been a chart topper. It was kinda Michael Jackson mania all around.

Last edited:
Yeah, #1's follow each other but it doesn't mean all those are #1 material. Usually one #1 just make other songs to look much better than they really are. Imo Michael's Thriller was just averagely so awesomely good it made really so enormously well.

That's why Say say say it's not on the MJ's greatest hits cds-....

But it could be on the latest greatest hits compilation in King Of Pop as it is a option in some countries. If chosen this would be the 1st time on a MJ release. Hence my initial question.

Then why didn't Michael put it on his album? Could it be that it didn't make the cut? Which album weould it have been on, is it Thriller?
"The Girl Is Mine" is produced by Quincy Jones. "Say Say Say" & "The Man" were produced by George Martin. Back then, in general an album only had one producer, not 10 like today, lol. 2nd, it wouldn't have fit on a LP. This is why "Billie Jean" and "The Lady In My Life" were shortened and other songs like "Carousel" were left off. Remember CD's didn't exist at the time. Also, time limits is the reason "Leave Me Alone" isn't on the LP or cassette of the Bad album.

I would assume since it was on Paul's album, with Paul's producer and Linda McCartney is on background vocals, listed under MPL, and is contained on his video compilation, Paul is in charge.

I would assume since it was on Paul's album, with Paul's producer and Linda McCartney is on background vocals, listed under MPL, and is contained on his video compilation, Paul is in charge.

TY. Which means MJ & PM have worked out some kind of deal seems that SSS is now being offered as a choice for the KoP album.

Say Say Say is a 50/50 split between Michael and Paul
it shows as 50% ownership under Mijac Music (Michael's own publishing co.)

I think it was kinda Thriller outtake. So it could have been on the album just like The Girl Is Mine was. The Girl Is Mine was the best song of those sessions so of course Michael put it on Thriller. All the rest more "average" songs were good enough to release thou. No one thought the "Say Say Say" would be #1 in any country, I think. But the Thriller success made it #1.

I mean technically every average song that time around would have been a chart topper. It was kinda Michael Jackson mania all around.

Based on this logic, every song released from Thriller would have went to number one. Of the seven songs released, only 2 went to number one "BillieJean & Beat It"...not even the "Thriller" single, after the greatest short film of all time was released, didn't even go to number one. Nor dd the first Jacksons single released after Thriller called "State of Shock" which featured Mick Jagger. It stalled at number 3. Even the Girl is Mine only peaked at number 2. What I'm curious about is why wasn't "Say Say Say" on MJ's Number Ones cd, when it clearly was a number one song?

Based on this logic, every song released from Thriller would have went to number one. Of the seven songs released, only 2 went to number one "BillieJean & Beat It"...not even the "Thriller" single, after the greatest short film of all time was released, didn't even go to number one. Nor dd the first Jacksons single released after Thriller called "State of Shock" which featured Mick Jagger. It stalled at number 3. Even the Girl is Mine only peaked at number 2. What I'm curious about is why wasn't "Say Say Say" on MJ's Number Ones cd, when it clearly was a number one song?

Michael had competition in 1982, '83 and '84, that's why.

Michael had competition in 1982, '83 and '84, that's why.

yep.. the quality of songs released during that time in my opinion were at its peak...

one of the biggest competition for Michael at that time was EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE by the Police... that song was hugh...and if it wasn't for this song Michael would have won 9 Grammy's that big night

People were not buying the singles because they were buying the entire album, have you forgot? They were selling a million a week and top the charts for 42 weeks, so don't feel anyway because the singles were not nu one. The entire album was nu one.

If it's a 50/50 thing, Paul and MJ have to come together just to release it on compilations. Neither has done that.

It's been on Paul's "All The Best" compilation in 1986. And it's also on "The McCartney Years" DVD, which was released last year.

Back