Removing R. Kelly?

Meh. She's just trying to score points. Truth be told, very few people buy these vinyls, and of those that do, 99% have no record player, so they can't actually listen to it. So the whole thing is a moot point.

If you don't want to listen to a song, don't listen to it. No need to talk about it.

'You Are Not Alone' is becoming a problematic song for Michael Jackson's legacy, considering the inspiration behind that song.

Lizette Martinez (from Florida, USA) spoke about that, and she revealed that R. Kelly wrote that song with her in mind after she suffered a miscarriage of their baby.

Lizette Martinez was underage when R. Kelly sexually abused her and performed sexual acts on her.
What about removing YANA, OMC and Cry from MJs albums?
Ciara did it:
A few years ago, Lady Gaga also removed her 'Do What U Want' song (which was co-written by R. Kelly, and it features vocals by him).

I used to really enjoy you are not alone when I was younger but it's pretty corny ass song now.

Cry and One More Chance are both pretty poor so I have no problem removing those songs from MJ's discography.

The biggest issue I have with those songs is that I don't want MJ's name ridiculed even more with the association of R Kelly especially with him already facing trial himself (not guilty obv) I've seen people laugh at the fact that MJ himself went through allegations and he's singing songs written by a convicted abuser.

I used to really enjoy you are not alone when I was younger but it's pretty corny ass song now.

Cry and One More Chance are both pretty poor so I have no problem removing those songs from MJ's discography.

The biggest issue I have with those songs is that I don't want MJ's name ridiculed even more with the association of R Kelly especially with him already facing trial himself (not guilty obv) I've seen people laugh at the fact that MJ himself went through allegations and he's singing songs written by a convicted abuser.
I have to agree not Keen on any of them tbh,wish Michael would have discarded them, I guess yana was OK it did well at the time, bit like a funeral song I think

We already had the thread about whether he should have removed Cry from Invincible (ie because the song is poor and because it makes the album too long).

But that should all be spoken about in past tense. No point talking about the future. I don't need to buy HIStory again just because it doesn't have YANA.

I have to admit it is one of my most disliked songs also. The video is cringy . It is a nice song but it would have been nice to have heard it done live at least once. Though he has many other ballads that are better. IJCSLY being my favourite. Even She's out of my life and Lady in my Life are done convincingly . I think if MJ was around today touring the song probably would not have been performed ever again due to the R Kelly connections not that MJ would have known about any of that stuff though until it came out.

These songs should stay where they are. They are from decades ago, and Michael is no longer here. Whose statement would it be to remove them? John Branca's? It would be pointless. And probably it would backfire at Michael.

Well none of these artists, including Mike, had no problem with working with R. Kelly in the first place. It was widely publicized (in the US at least) that R. Kelly & Aaliyah had gotten married. It was even on MTV News. This was a few years before Mike worked with him. Mike was also filmed listening to the Ignition remix in a car. It's unlikely that Mike did not know about this because of the coverage. Aaliyah was really popular at the time too. Her first album is called Age Ain't Nothing But A Number (the title track is also a single) and the album was produced by R. Kelly. She never worked with him again after the debut album though. Also people in the industry often know about things that are not given media coverage. The public also did not care, because the marriage did not hurt Kelly's career. He remained popular, even after that video came out, that Kelly claimed was his brother. Also many white male rock stars slept with teenage groupies. The casting couch has been a thing with the Hollywood movie/TV studios & the music recording business for their entire existence. That's always ignored. It's only in recent years with the younger generation & Metoo, that people started getting in trouble or cancelled. It's not like P. Diddy was some big secret either. It's like Suge Knight's reputation was no secret. Back in the 1990s, Tupac accused Puff Daddy of having him getting shot at a recording studio. Puffy & Jennifer Lopez had been arrested for some gun incident back then too. What was not widely known is that MC Hammer is said to be a gangsta or a street dude. Hammer had a squeaky clean public image and still does.

OMC and Cry is super easy to do. I don't listen to them anyway. YANA is more tricky... It's just as iconic as I Believe I Can Fly. But we can do it.

Lizette Martinez (from Florida, USA) spoke about that, and she revealed that R. Kelly wrote that song with her in mind after she suffered a miscarriage of their baby.
That wasn't true. The song was written and recorded in 1994 and she met him January 1995. She said the editing made it sound like it was written about her.

I like Cry, I want keep it, but OMC I don't mind removing but YANA. no way Jose. It's a masterpiece. I need it for emotional support.

It was the first song ever to get straight to number one on the Billboard 100, so with regards to Michael's canon it's a big song. I like it, and I can divorce music from a piece of shit artist when I need to so this doesn't really bother me. Can see why it would for others.

Also if we start retroactively reviewing songs and projects that are deemed problematic, MJ had no problem hiring John Landis (twice) after 2 children (7 and 6) died on his set when he ignored child labor laws by when filming a moronically dangerous scene involving a helicopter, water and explosions for The Twilight Zone movie in 1982.

Each to their own, but if I have an issue with something I just don't listen/watch. I don't care if anyone else does, that's their decision.

With regards to removing songs from albums, that's not new I guess. Bowie removed "Too Dizzy" from our reality from all repressings of Never Let Me Down and to this day hasn't been on an official box set or release. I don't like it, but up to the artist. I remember thinking it was a bit rich of Lady Gaga to remove that song from her album because Kelly had already been in enough hot water back then, but she was going through her own shit at the time so she has her reasons.

Book burning, or pulling pages out of books I'm no fan of.

It was the first song ever to get straight to number one on the Billboard 100, so with regards to Michael's canon it's a big song. I like it, and I can divorce music from a piece of shit artist when I need to so this doesn't really bother me. Can see why it would for others.
it was a big hit and I like it too

You are not alone doesn’t get a lot of airplay these days so it is pretty much forgotten. I really really rate one more chance though

it was a big hit and I like it too
I don't think songs should be removed, they are out there, I was just voiceing an opinion I am not really a fan of every song michael sang, he was and always will be my favourite of all time

Most people don't know and don't care who wrote the songs. As far as I'm concerned, they're Michael Jackson songs, not R. Kelly songs, so they should never be removed. Think about all the people involved when making albums, movies or concerts... if we start cancelling everything just because one of the many people involved in a project is found guilty of a crime, we might not have any music or movies left. Just cancel R. Kelly's own albums, that's enough.

Why even remove previously releaed content if it was good art.

Janet knows who Ciara is 😁
Screen%20Shot%202017-10-11%20at%201.02.46%20PM.png

9dc67fd826a9cdcb734ebb8f74b2b0f6fd3d7a13.jpg
c74d5efabf5a484e9401e3975f169784d385fcbd.jpg

07265af9dd55c4df8acc15b0c318a62e20ed71ae.jpg

Ciara loves Michael too and was very upset when he died, there's footage of her at the BET awards crying when being interviewed about Michael.

I'm sure she was also supposed to be on the hurricane Katrina charity single.

Most people don't know and don't care who wrote the songs. As far as I'm concerned, they're Michael Jackson songs, not R. Kelly songs, so they should never be removed. Think about all the people involved when making albums, movies or concerts... if we start cancelling everything just because one of the many people involved in a project is found guilty of a crime, we might not have any music or movies left. Just cancel R. Kelly's own albums, that's enough.
very true and I hope the media doesn't pick up on this if YANA is featured in the biopic

Back