R.Kelly was with Michael 3 weeks before he passed away

helena22

Proud Member
R.Kelly has been in Africa doing shows and this is one of the articles related to it. He's been paying tribute to MJ on every single show ever since he passed away.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200907070328.html

Nigeria: R. Kelly Dazzles Abuja Fans, Honours Jackson

Damilola Oyedele, Senator Iroegbu and Paul Akan Obi
7 July 2009

Abuja — In tandem with his prior performances in Johannesburg, Cape Town and Lagos, R & B crooner per excellence, Robert Kelly (aka R. Kelly), solidified his status as "King of R &B" with his dazzling performance in Abuja on Sunday.

The show, which was attended by Abuja residents including politicians, businessmen, dignitaries and fans, was also a tribute to the late King of Pop, Michael Jackson.

The show was a continuation of the THISDAY Music Festival organised by ARISE Magazine.

Despite the fact that the ticket price for the Abuja show was almost double that of Lagos, and unlike Lagos where there was provision for student price at N2,000, music fans were not deterred, as the THISDAY Dome was filled to capacity even though yesterday was a working day.

As the concert kicked off a few minutes to midnight, the audience were held spellbound when MI came on stage with some hit songs from his "Mushin to Mo Hits" album such as "Teaser", "Safe" and "Anoti". Wande Cole accompanied by SID electrified the arena with popular hits such as "Bumper to Bumper", "Taboo", "Too Bad" and "Ololufe". The duo, while introducing another musician, D'banj, asked the crowd to guess which of the "kokolets" from the Koko Mansion reality show would be accompanying the Koko Master

MI with his Mo Hits crew - Don Jazzy, Cole and SID - sent the audience crazy with popular hits such as "Suddenly", "Fall in Love", "Igwe", "Mo Gbono Felifeli" and "Gbelo Gbebo".

There was a brief interlude after the Nigerian artistes had entertained the audience.

Late Jackson's hit songs were churned out to the audience, obviously as a tribute and affirmation that a void had been created in the music world by his demise.

At 1.25am, R. Kelly came on stage to loud cheers from the audience. Clad in gray jacket, black jeans, a black baseball cap and sunglasses, he started with his hit song, Hotel, and sang some of his old hits.

The jacket and cap soon gave way as he got into the groove of the day. By the time he started singing "Snake", the security men were having a hard time keeping the audience back because they kept surging forward; it is hard to imagine being so close to a music idol and not being able to touch him.

The American star would probably be surprised that he has such a huge fan base in Nigeria, as the audience sang along with him even on songs from his old albums.

R. Kelly proved his worth as a master composer when he musically asked the ladies in the audience "who would go with me to America? Do you have a passport and how old are you?" At that stage, the ladies were uncontrollable as some started sneaking to the stage just to hug the music icon. At a point, he was almost pulled into the crowd.

In tribute to Jackson, R. Kelly together with Abuja fans sang "I'll be there" and "You Are Not Alone" which he wrote for the late King of Pop.

"...because of Michael, I am R. Kelly today. He was a genius that God gave us all", he said, adding that the late MJ was with him in his Chicago studio three weeks before his death.

He sang his current hits such as "Fiesta Thiong Thiong", "Ignition Remix", "Heaven I need a Hug", and "Step in the Name of Love", and "Happy People" from his Chocolate Factory album. The show continued till about 3.30am.

Thank you!

Video of R. Kelly in Nigeria - He talks briefly about Michael and working with him.
Notice the white mourning armband he's wearing in honour of Michael while performing, I think that was really nice.

I hope some videos of him performing MJ songs in Nigeria will hit YouTube soon!

EDIT: I almost forgot, there's a little snippet of him singing "I'll Be There" and wearing a Michael Jackson t-shirt in the clip.

I hope he recorded some music with Michael while they were together.

I hope he recorded some music with Michael while they were together.
I hope so too. I think it's very likely they recorded something, if not a complete song. Michael was very busy rehearsing and everything, so I don't think he just dropped by.

I saw the footage before, but thanks Bruce. In the clip, Kellz said he had spent 2 weeks with Michael during the HIStory session. Never thought it had been that long.

R.Kelly always shows Michael love and respect. And the day after Michael passed away, he decribed him as "very real" and "his brother". I really love it.

R. Kelly made my mom's favorite Michael Jackson song "You are not alone". As MJfan82 said, R. Kelly is a musical genius. I hope something musical came out of this visit.

I hope R.Kelly wrote some original material this time unlike how he plagiarised You Are Not Alone and was sued and lost over it.

"...because of Michael, I am R. Kelly today. He was a genius that God gave us all", he said, adding that the late MJ was with him in his Chicago studio three weeks before his death.

Michael was in Chicago three weeks before he passed away? I didn't know that.

a little update

There's a note on the wall that reminds him he has to finish the five songs he worked on with Michael Jackson before his death.

You can read the whole article here: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1618932/20090818/kelly_r.jhtml?rsspartner=rssYahooNewscrawler

For those who don't wanna read the whole article...
The note is on the wall of R.Kelly's home recording studio.

Thanks I hope that Kelz can finish the tracks and they are released on an EP or something like that, two truly gifted artists both Mike and Kelz.

Oh...I'm confussed. Thanks for clarifying it for me though. :blush:
I don't know about this lawsuit stuff, but R. Kelly is credited with writing You Are Not Alone. He also wrote One More Chance.

I hope R.Kelly wrote some original material this time unlike how he plagiarised You Are Not Alone and was sued and lost over it.

Nah, fo' real? Holy *ish!!

I thought the armband thing was sweet. Mike was working with e'rybody and they Mama. I wonder how many other artists he had been working with.

Edit: Just saw the link posted by darmin. I'm such a slow typer,lol.

Can someone please tell me who actually wrote You Are Not Alone???? R. Kelly or someone else - who??

Can someone please tell me who actually wrote You Are Not Alone???? R. Kelly or someone else - who??

R. Kelly wrote the lyrics and the music for the original mix (or "R. Kelly Remix",which wasn't used for the HIStory album). A court (in Belgium) ruled that Kelly plagiarized the music (heard on the album version) of a song written by two Belgian dudes in '93.

Thank you. So the they say he plagerized the music on the album version but he did not plagerize the lyrics?

R. Kelly wrote the lyrics and the music for the original mix (or "R. Kelly Remix",which wasn't used for the HIStory album). A court (in Belgium) ruled that Kelly plagiarized the music (heard on the album version) of a song written by two Belgian dudes in '93.

Back