Quincy Jones to hold tribute to Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' in Bermuda, stars to participate

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member
Legendary producer Quincy Jones will hold a tribute to Michael Jackson and their hugely successful creation, 'Thriller,' which Jones produced.

Wyclef Jean, Erykah Badu, and others will participate during the “Quincy Jones and Friends” festival from October 29-31.

According to Jones,' The line-up of artists that we have assembled for this year's festival are some of the most talented performers of their generation and, like me, understand and respect the diverse musical and spiritual influences that are reflected in Bermuda's rich cultural history. I promise that this year's festival will be one that you definitely will not want to miss. it's going to be hot.'

---------

Wyclef, Erykah Badu Join Quincy Jones Tribute To Michael Jackson

Rapper Wyclef will take part in Quincy Jones’ an all-star tribute to Michael Jackson this October on the island of Bermuda.

Wyclef will join artists Patti Austin, James Ingram, Erykah Badu, John Legend, Michael McDonald, Kenny Rogers and Naturally Seven during the “Quincy Jones and Friends” festival from October 29-31.

On the final night, there will be a featured performance and dedication to Michael Jackson’s “Thriller,” which Jones produced.

During the weekend, Jones will receive the African Diaspora Heritage Trail Award for changing the way music and philanthropy interact, due to his

“We are The World” track, which is the best-selling single of all-time.

The effort raised over $63 million dollars for Ethiopia.

“The line-up of artists that we have assembled for this year's festival are some of the most talented performers of their generation and, like me, understand and respect the diverse musical and spiritual influences that are reflected in Bermuda's rich cultural history,” Jones said. “I promise that this year's festival will be one that you definitely will not want to miss. it's going to be hot."

During the concert in Bermuda, Wyclef and the other artists will perform in front of an international orchestra hand picked by Jones himself, including Greg Phillinganes.

Wyclef and Quincy Jones recently collaborated on a track off of the upcoming Quincy Jones Tribute album, which is still in production.

Tickets for the Music Festival are on sale now at all major ticket outlets.
http://allhiphop.com/stories/news/archive/2009/09/12/21935010.aspx

Pitty Jermaine didn't ask him for help, as he would have better contact with the music stars past and present.

Had Quincy not said all the crazy azz junk he said about MJs kids after MJ died - ack. I dunno.

I LOVE QUINCY. But he put out some very harsh judgment out there on MJs kids, when a few of his kids are just as "white" as his own.

I'll support Quincy, regardless.

err Quincy...did you know he just gave an interview to the spanish magazine El Pais saying Michael didn't have that much talent after all? I don't know what to make of this guy

^

Really? -_- Man... this guy is just.......yea.

I love Michael Jackson and I could care less about Quincy Jones. Now that doesn't mean I hate him, I just could care less or feel indifferent towards him.

Had Quincy not said all the crazy azz junk he said about MJs kids after MJ died - ack. I dunno.

I LOVE QUINCY. But he put out some very harsh judgment out there on MJs kids, when a few of his kids are just as "white" as his own.

I'll support Quincy, regardless.

Yeah, I was shocked by his comments. The "kids" one really blew me away. I think something happened between them at some point that never was completely resolved.

err Quincy...did you know he just gave an interview to the spanish magazine El Pais saying Michael didn't have that much talent after all? I don't know what to make of this guy

Is this proven that he really said all that? We all know how easily these media idiots make things up huh.

I dont trust that Quincy said that - im sure something was definately lost in translation as those words coming out of his mouth make no sense especially given the praise he's given Michael in the past....

I found the article but it's completely in Spanish. I was trying to find an English translation.

Post it or PM it to me. I can translate it.

ETA: I actually don't believe that Quincy would say that Michael did not have much talent after all. He has known Michael since he was 12 years old and recognized Michael's talent and drive on The Wiz. That's why he suggested himself to be the producer of his album.

I don't think anyone can ever, ever say that Michael was not talented! Madonna said it all when she said that 'There is no question that Michael Jackson was one of the greatest talents the world has ever seen.' :)

I dont trust that Quincy said that - im sure something was definately lost in translation as those words coming out of his mouth make no sense especially given the praise he's given Michael in the past....

I clicked on a google translation and read it and you're right, it makes no sense. I tried to link it here, but it doesn't work.

But FYI... I googled: el pais quincy jones michael jackson, then clicked translation.

ETA: I subsequently put the link to the spanish version and the relevant paragraph in my post #17 here.

Last edited:
During the trial on Access Hollywood , he said Michael Jackson is not a friend of mine. he is just a business associate. Yes he did. From his own mouth. I dislike the man.

Post it or PM it to me. I can translate it.

ETA: I actually don't believe that Quincy would say that Michael did not have much talent after all. He has known Michael since he was 12 years old and recognized Michael's talent and drive on The Wiz. That's why he suggested himself to be the producer of his album.

I don't think anyone can ever, ever say that Michael was not talented! Madonna said it all when she said that 'There is no question that Michael Jackson was one of the greatest talents the world has ever seen.' :)

Here's the article link for the Spanish version...I clicked the English translation, but it didn't work. Below is also the portion of the article referencing Michael's talent.

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/cult...nia/talento/elpepicul/20090914elpepicul_1/Tes

R. ¡Ésa sí que es buena! Claro que no. He trabajado con Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Billie Holiday, Aretha Franklin y, sobre todo, Ray Charles... ¿Cree que podría sentir celos de Michael Jackson? Michael no tenía tanto talento. Era grande, pero no jugaba en la liga de los que acabo de citar. He tenido siete hijos y participado en 40 películas. No tengo tiempo para perder en tonterías.

i watched a chinese TV station which interviewd Quincy,he said MJ didn't want to be blanck man.his words were:"But he obviously didn't want to be black" and he didn't believe mj had disease which changed his skin colour.

i watched a chinese TV station which interviewd Quincy,he said MJ didn't want to be blanck man.his words were:"But he obviously didn't want to be black" and he didn't believe mj had disease which changed his skin colour.

He said the same thing in an article in the states.

Ok, found it. Ummm. . . I don't know what to say.

Here it is in Spanish-->

P. ¿Existía competencia entre ustedes?

R. ¡Ésa sí que es buena! Claro que no. He trabajado con Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Billie Holiday, Aretha Franklin y, sobre todo, Ray Charles... ¿Cree que podría sentir celos de Michael Jackson? Michael no tenía tanto talento. Era grande, pero no jugaba en la liga de los que acabo de citar. He tenido siete hijos y participado en 40 películas. No tengo tiempo para perder en tonterías.

Q: Did competition exist between you two?

A: (I am paraphrasing since I am not a native speaker) Obviously not. I have worked with Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Billie Holiday, Aretha Franklin, and Ray Charles. You think I could have felt jealous of Michael Jackson? Michael did not have much talent. He was great, but he is not in the league of those that I mentioned.

So if this article is true, then EPIC FAIL to Quincy Jones. Still talking smack about Michael. What the heck is wrong with this man?????? He has a HUGE ego, IMO. What is Quincy's problem with Michael?

IMO, Michael IS of that caliber (Armstrong, Sinatra, Holiday, Charles, etc) but of Michael's genre which pop/R&B/rock. Quincy was comparing Michael to all jazz and soul artists. Two different genres of music. Plus, obviously jazz is Quincy's first love, not pop and R&B. So Quincy's comment is sort of misleading and doesn't make sense.

He did say that Michael had called him after his concerts had sold out in London and that he was doing it for his children. He did also say that all the ideas from 'Off the Wall' were Michael's.

^

OMG, that man is pissing me off... Grr... I shouldn't have read this thread.

It made me laugh that at the highest point of Michael's career during Thriller, Quincy almost worships Michael calling him the greatest and that he is in the same league as Frank Sinatra..etc... Then, at a time when Mike needed him the most, Quincy abandoned him saying all those nasty things about Michael. What a hypocrite.

During the trial on Access Hollywood , he said Michael Jackson is not a friend of mine. he is just a business associate. Yes he did. From his own mouth. I dislike the man.

Ehh... Now he would probably said that he was 'close friend' first and then business associate.

"anything for money..."

Ok, found it. Ummm. . . I don't know what to say.

Here it is in Spanish-->

Q: Did competition exist between you two?

A: (I am paraphrasing since I am not a native speaker) Obviously not. I have worked with Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Billie Holiday, Aretha Franklin, and Ray Charles. You think I could have felt jealous of Michael Jackson? Michael did not have much talent. He was great, but he is not in the league of those that I mentioned.

So if this article is true, then EPIC FAIL to Quincy Jones. Still talking smack about Michael. What the heck is wrong with this man?????? He has a HUGE ego, IMO. What is Quincy's problem with Michael?

IMO, Michael IS of that caliber (Armstrong, Sinatra, Holiday, Charles, etc) but of Michael's genre which pop/R&B/rock. Quincy was comparing Michael to all jazz and soul artists. Two different genres of music. Plus, obviously jazz is Quincy's first love, not pop and R&B. So Quincy's comment is sort of misleading and doesn't make sense.

He did say that Michael had called him after his concerts had sold out in London and that he was doing it for his children. He did also say that all the ideas from 'Off the Wall' were Michael's.

WHAT?! He said that? "Michael did not have much talent"?! :wtf1: Are we talking about the same guy here?

I consider MJ to be of that caliber too.

He is just tryin' to save face for being an ass.

I'm grateful for the stars that will turn out in honor of Michael, but Quincy can go to hell.

Screw Q.

I'm sorry. . . but if this is really true and Quincy said this, it just pisses me off so much. Why did he even bother to go to Michael's private funeral and is doing this tribute for Michael? What kind of friend is that to talk sh*t about Mike's kids and to have the audacity to say that he doesn't have that much talent.

The problem is that Quincy Jones is still 'respected' and thought of as a genuis. I think he really does have something against Michael. Then we have Michael still thanking Quincy in his liner notes and stuff because Michael is and always will be RESPECTFUL to those that helped him in his career.

Michael really had a lot of people in his life that were two-faced.

Anyways, I think Berry Gordy was more important to Michael personally. Berry always supported Michael and could separate business from personal.

I don't know what's going on with Qunicy. Even Paul McCartney who still smarts from Micheal buying the Beatles catalogue said how amazingly talented Michael was.
Actually, his talent is not something that can even be disputed, especially when you throw in his song writing abilities, especially since it was clearly demonstrated at the age of 5.

So is this how Quincy talks now about his so called "little bro" who was instrumental in even getting his jazz butt on the best selling album of all time?

He's confusing the heck out of me.

I know spanish and that's exactly what he said in the interview
he also said he was asked to participate in Jermaine's tribute concert but he refused and said he won't participate in any MJ tributes...so this Bermuda tribute I guess is an exception?

Damn! The two-faced ways of Mike's supposed friends are astounding! I can't believe Q can talk ish then do a tribute!! I swear he's no different than that former manager, all his "friends" blabbing his personal info. It's quite sad how true colors have shown. I see why people in here are going hard on O and Q.

Back