Quincy Jones' take on Xscape

The wizard Quincy, after BAD, was going to recreate another Michael Jackson - with Tevin Campbell: cute hearttrob of early '90s - because all you need is Quincy's genius and masterful guiding hand ... Let's see where they are now (just on fb likes):

Michael Jackson - 74,493,306
Tevin Campbell - 311

:busted::eek:

That's interesting. I guess Quincy doesn't like being in Michael's shadow. lol

Depends on what we mean by "needing Michael".

I know that he was revered before Michael but I think Thriller alone probably sold more than Q's entire catalogue with other artists. Then add Bad and Off The Wall too... I know that commercial success is not everything, but when it comes to royalties I'd guess most of the royalties Quincy gets comes from his work with Michael. At least I don't remember any other truly blockbuster hit record from the rest of his catalogue.

Yeah that's true I think. His work with MJ elevated Quincy's name to much wider fame. When you consider all the interviews he's paid for these days, the price he commands will be directly related to the success of the Michael Jackson partnership.

I really don't like Quincy much when he talks like that. He's been saying negative stuff against Michael for years, and it's getting ridiculous.

Who care about this ignorant fool!? I am so sick of people running their mouths. Shut the frick up already!

Part of Mr Jones' problem may be that you can mention Michael's name without mentioning Jones, but seldom does Jones' name get mentioned without Michael's name attached!

The man has an incredible legacy and a great body of work and he was a fantastic producer. But, as we Bajans say, "say a, say b" - if Quincy Jones was such an incredible Svengali, then he would have been able to replicate Michael's success with Tevin Campbell. End of.

BOOYA!! I was hurt by Q's "review" of Xscape (and how he continues to throw shade on Mike), so hurt I almost fired off an email to his official site admins and unlike his page on Facebook. I respect Mr. Jones' work as a composer for years (and don't want to be rude to my elders), so I'm caught between a "F*ck YOU, Q" and still admiring his work.

Q probably realized (decades ago) that when he eventually dies, the tagline of his media eulogy will be summed up as this: 'Quincy Jones, legendary composer, BEST KNOWN FOR PRODUCING MICHAEL JACKSON'S THRILLER, THE BEST-SELLING ALBUM EVER, has died'. That is a very bitter pill to swallow for someone with a career that spans as many decades as his. It shouldn't annoy him, but it does.

As far as Michael Jackson goes, Q forgot to "check his ego at the door".

That has to be an extreme exaggeration. Did I hear right that it took 800 songs to get the 9 for thriller?

Exactly. The estate are so greedy MJ always gave out his albums for free!

^^That is the best comeback I saw for comments stating that what the estate does is for money.

Dilan remember that Q is reaching that age where the memory for numbers is not too great.

I seriously don't get Q's bitterness towards Michael if Mike did nothing but showing respect, thanking and giving him credit every time he had the chance to do so. I don't know when he started but I remember he said very nasty things against Michael about his skin condition, his children and attacking him as a person in 2005.

I'm also fed up with people giving Q excessive credit for Michael's success downplaying his role on those 3 albums, when he proved he could do more artistic, meaningful and evolved pieces of work without Q despite the minor commercial success.

Last edited:
I'm sick of ppl who are like: ' it's all about money'.

I don't like how tends to "bash" Michael though, this isn't his first instance of this. But I feel like if he doesn't like Xscape, he's allowed to have that opinion. While Michael did help Quincy's career, he also contributed to Michael's. Michael's impact on Quincy was always more "sales" wise really, and the two had a magnificent vibe when Michael was younger in that time period, which I think contributed to Michael's creative process. While a lot of his acclaim does come from Michael, Quincy had a string of musical successes with other legendary artist, which had always added to his credentials.

But anyway, while I think he's entitled to his opinion, I don't necessarily agree with them.

SheilaMJFan4Ever i love your signature it makes me sad but i still love it.

SheilaMJFan4Ever i love your signature it makes me sad but i still love it.

My sister posted that pic on my FB page and it hit me the same way. . . :cry:

She bought Xscape too and said Q's full of sh*t and needs to sit his bitter old azz down somewhere, LOL!

Back