Questions about Michael Jackson's suprise appearance with N'sync

Word Smith Sr

Proud Member
[youtube]NMT2OQEqEpk[/youtube]

I got some questions about this appearance:

1- What would you call that sidewalk he does at the beginning ? I love the way he does it there, i do not think i ever saw him do it that way elsewhere.

2- Is Michael improvising in this performance or did he kind of rehearse it ?

3- Why is he doing with a bottle at the end ?

4- I've always wondered if he's late or on time when he raises his hand at the end (last move), i wonder if he wished he'd performed that last move on the "last popping sound". My question is not that clear sorry.

I can't help you with the other questions but the bottle thing came from the "pop" music video of Nsync. If you see the video you will understand it. :)

I think with the ending, he just didnt know how it was going to end......Its as simple as that.

To answer your second question...I bet he rehearsed a bit before going on stage but, maybe, without the guys from N'Sync (he knew when he was supposed to make an entrance...)

I think I read somewhere that Wade Robson choreographed this performance, but I suspect that MJ didn't need any instructions. ;) Wade also co-wrote the song "Dirty Pop" with Justin Timberlake and was a friend of both Nsync and Michael; As you can remember he also stood up for him during the trial and testified for the defense.
Sorry, I don't have any real answers to your questions but I have to comment that Justin's beatboxing cracks me up every time I've seen that clip LOL

[youtube]NMT2OQEqEpk[/youtube]

1- What would you call that sidewalk he does at the beginning ? I love the way he does it there, i do not think i ever saw him do it that way elsewhere. It's called a "Side Float" or like you said the "Side Walk" which is what MJ called it on Oprah! And MJ has done it many times!

2- Is Michael improvising in this performance or did he kind of rehearse it ? Look like he was just doing what he wanted to do, letting the music guide him!:wub:

3- Why is he doing with a bottle at the end ? He held the Soda Pop bottle! Song was called "Pop" or "Dirty Pop" and he is "The King Of Pop" it made sense...kinda! lol :D

4- I've always wondered if he's late or on time when he raises his hand at the end (last move), i wonder if he wished he'd performed that last move on the "last popping sound". My question is not that clear sorry.
He did what he wanted is all I can say!:wub: By the way it's hard answering these questions cause it's all guessing he would have to answer them literally to know but...:(

Thanks for all the answers guys !!!

1- What would you call that sidewalk he does at the beginning ? I love the way he does it there, i do not think i ever saw him do it that way elsewhere. It's called a "Side Float" or like you said the "Side Walk" which is what MJ called it on Oprah! And MJ has done it many times!

2- Is Michael improvising in this performance or did he kind of rehearse it ? Look like he was just doing what he wanted to do, letting the music guide him!:wub:

3- Why is he doing with a bottle at the end ? He held the Soda Pop bottle! Song was called "Pop" or "Dirty Pop" and he is "The King Of Pop" it made sense...kinda! lol :D

He did what he wanted is all I can say!:wub:
By the way it's hard answering these questions cause it's all guessing he would have to answer them literally to know but...:(

I know what a sidewalk is my friend. I just said i have never seen him do it in that particular way. :)

Maybe you're right about the fact that some of my questions are hard to answer. :)

I know what a sidewalk is my friend. I just said i have never seen him do it in that particular way. :)

Yes I know u knew that and I mention you did! I just wanted to point out that it's called something else too. And that MJ called it what u did once too also! :yes:

i love how was sitting on the chair then getting up and then sitting again ..he never danced in this way !

1- What would you call that sidewalk he does at the beginning ? I love the way he does it there, i do not think i ever saw him do it that way elsewhere.
It's like a moonwlk but on a different direction,i love that move and he did it on tour too.

2- Is Michael improvising in this performance or did he kind of rehearse it ?
I think is improvising!

3- Why is he doing with a bottle at the end ?
The name of the song and the video for it!

4- I've always wondered if he's late or on time when he raises his hand at the end (last move), i wonder if he wished he'd performed that last move on the "last popping sound". My question is not that clear sorry
Michael shouldn't be there,he was invited by the MTV but he declined because he had his shows in New York and it was too hard.But the presenter of the MTV gala made a stupid,ugly joke about MJ and kids that evenig (MTV cut that in the replay show) and Michael was so pissed that he came to perform that evening and shut their mouth.So he did ran on the hallway...

Great perfomence anyway!!:clapping:

Dvid Gest talked about this appearance in his book . but do not remember what he said exactly...anyone has the book can help us indeed !

a few weeks after this first aired i was listening to joey fatone from nsync on the old radio show loveline.. he said that they were all so excited when mj agreed to make his surprise appearance with them during their performance, and that it worked out perfectly because the following night he was beginning his MSG 30th Anniv shows in NYC (where the VMAs were held).. he said they never got to rehearse with him and that they had only sent him the music to listen to.. he also said that they literally didnt know if it was really going to happen until MJ actually arrived to the awards.... 10 MINUTES BEFORE THEIR PERFORMANCE!!!

-Dal

Thanks for all the answers guys !!!

Maybe you're right about the fact that some of my questions are hard to answer. :)

lol...and that is the beauty of it. i'll tell you my educated answer to all your questions. technically speaking....

i don't know.

and i LOOOVVVVVVED ITTTTTT!!!! :wild:

Last edited:
Well I am not sure if it was improvised or slightly rehearsed due to the etcha sketch and mj making the same pose when he first comes up...I think if there was rehearsals, mj would have been told about the entrance and also heard the music he would dance too..Because he knows when to sit on the chair so he must have known when it would end

But I have always thought that 30s of dancing is one of the best examples of his philosohy of dancing..He always says to become the music and the instruments you hear.So if you hear a guitar solo, you dance to the sound of it.If you watch that clip, every single dance move complements what you hear.Mj does this alot of the time, it is a way of dancing he learned from the great james brown who was also a master at it.It is just an instinctive way of dancing that you feel inside you.Mj has said the worst thing a dancer can do when dancing is to think.So unless mj is doing a choreagraphed piece, chances are he won't be thinking about it.That doesn't mean he won't have heard the music he is dancing too.But he probably didn't practice what he would do.ESP if he arrived 10 minutes before!

So with that in mind, watch it again and you will see an aspect of his genius because in that 30 seconds he blows you mind.How many others can do that..30 SECONDS!..He is putting an accent on every sound you hear in that 30 seconds, non stop and is a great exmple to his way of thinking when it comes to dance.

My personal fav bit's of it are how he walks out...How he suddenly starts dancing, it is like an eruption, At 17 secs he gives this heads up to jt to sorta say ' don't mess with the master' ..It just looks really cool to me..That little head movement...At what he does with sitting down on the chair in relation to the music..Loved that...But every single moment is improvisational genius

I think he wanted to hit that end move on the last sound..But he still pulled it off...Although if you look carefully..maybe a slight moment on annoyance on mj's face after music ends?..Just for a mini second

going through this thread again and seeing why he came to perform, when he wasn't going to..cus the presenter at the gala made an ugly joke about MJ and kids, so MJ decided to come after all, cus he was so pissed, and he used the performance to shut their mouth....well..no wonder MJ wasn't smiling during that performance. i almost feel guilty being happy about a performance done in anger..but..he said it's about using your art as outlet..and, i was blown away..so..*fantasises about him finding another way to take his anger out on the presenter*

anyway..MJ the genius.

He made a joke about MJ and the kids even though Janet was in attendance? What an inconsiderate ass hole.

Not MJ's best performance. I'm no dance expert, but his moves here look fairly sloppy, especially compared to the awesome freestyle dancing he was doing on the HIStory tour, or even two years previous during the WMCIG concerts in 1999.

Man, i remember sitting up to watch this and going fucking nuts, pissing my rents of so much =D and recording it to watch again and again. Watched and recorded the whole aweful show for that, which, as was always the case (vma's, wmas and so on) michael was last one.
1- i always call that move the sideslide.
2- improv'd, clearly
3- already answered, but yeah, cos he is the king of pop and the song is dirty pop. they probably thought it was really clever, lol
4- again, improv'd performance so probably just forgot where the song ended. Its hardly the first or last time he did this (like getting the Dangerous lip-syncing wrong at the vma's 95, lol)

going through this thread again and seeing why he came to perform, when he wasn't going to..cus the presenter at the gala made an ugly joke about MJ and kids, so MJ decided to come after all, cus he was so pissed, and he used the performance to shut their mouth....well..no wonder MJ wasn't smiling during that performance. i almost feel guilty being happy about a performance done in anger..but..he said it's about using your art as outlet..and, i was blown away..so..*fantasises about him finding another way to take his anger out on the presenter*

anyway..MJ the genius.

Really?! Wow poor Michael.

anyway..MJ the genius.

Was Jimmy Fallon the asshole?
I saw the vma's but not complete because I got bored watching them, fortunately I saw Mike's performance.
It was the best of that show in my opinion.

Wasn't the presenter Jamie Foxx..I can't imagine him making a joke about mj

Not MJ's best performance. I'm no dance expert, but his moves here look fairly sloppy, especially compared to the awesome freestyle dancing he was doing on the HIStory tour, or even two years previous during the WMCIG concerts in 1999.

True, the entrance was pretty cool but Michael's dancing was pretty sloppy and he looked like he didn't want to do it. Mike was definetly not himself during that Era. In a strange kind of twisted way it may have been a blessing that the Invnicible album promootions were scrapped. Mike as we know him came back at around 2003.

True, the entrance was pretty cool but Michael's dancing was pretty sloppy and he looked like he didn't want to do it. Mike was definetly not himself during that Era. In a strange kind of twisted way it may have been a blessing that the Invnicible album promootions were scrapped. Mike as we know him came back at around 2003.

Wwwwwow, it takes a lot to satisfy you guys lol. What should he have done to make this a good "performance" ? Moonwalk on water ? lol

This appearance is the one i watch sometimes when i need an adrenaline rush. Especially the bit from 0:29 (when he stops after doing the sidewalk) to 0:34.

Oh and the bit from 0:18 to 0:19 during the which he plays with the electricity sound using his head, shoulders, doing that popping move with his head, left hand and right foot at the end of that bit just kills me.

Last edited:
All I know from watching this performance are two things:
1) He did not look his best at this time
2) Nsync beat boxing and whooping all the way through makes me laugh

Wwwwwow, it takes a lot to satisfy you guys lol. What should he have done to make this a good "performance" ? Moonwalk on water ? lol

This appearance is the one i watch sometimes when i need an adrenaline rush. Especially the bit from 0:29 (when he stops after doing the sidewalk) to 0:34.

Oh and the bit from 0:18 to 0:19 during the which he plays with the electricity sound using his head, shoulders, doing that popping move with his head, left hand and right foot at the end of that bit just kills me.

There's nothing wrong with the performance, but just go and watch any performance of Billie Jean from the HIStory tour or even from two years previous at the 1999 WMCIG charity concerts. His dancing is masterful.

Cut to two years later at MSG and his cameo with N Sync, and his dancing doesn't seem as inspired, he just doesn't seem 'in-the-zone'...

There's nothing wrong with the performance, but just go and watch any performance of Billie Jean from the HIStory tour or even from two years previous at the 1999 WMCIG charity concerts. His dancing is masterful.

Cut to two years later at MSG and his cameo with N Sync, and his dancing doesn't seem as inspired, he just doesn't seem 'in-the-zone'...

Hi :),

Well, i do not really like the history tour because sometimes he does not look that "into it", but then again i've only seen a few billie jean performances.

I have to be honest though, i have not seen the performances at the WMCIG charity concerts. What did he perform there ? Do you have a link please ? All i've seen is the performance in which he sings WMCIG with several (many) celebrities behind him.

Are you referring to the performances during the which he has the American flag wrapped around him ? I've seen a pic or two but no video. I think what you call "WMCIG concerts" are in fact the MJ and friends concerts.

I guess we won't agree about the quality of the Nsync appearance lol, but to each his own :). I hope i did not sound aggressive in the post you quoted, if so i apologize :).

Last edited:
Back