Questions about Behind The Mask

My question about Behind the Mask: why hasn't anyone adequately restored the original yet?

Edit

Last edited:
It feels very much like the fiercely funky cousin to Wanna Be Startin' Somethin to me. Has that same funny rhythm. I could see it continuing that sound, funny enough.
Maybe Behind The Mask could also work with a WBSS-type beat, in my head it does already fit :)
That's a probable direction it would have went if Q had finalized it right..?

It feels very much like the fiercely funky cousin to Wanna Be Startin' Somethin to me. Has that same funny rhythm. I could see it continuing that sound, funny enough.
bro I've tried to listen to BTM and I always want to immediately turn it off lol. I've sat with headphones and a clear head and I've never gotten into it. It doesn't sound stronger than anything on Thriller to me. Do we know when he recorded it? I think I read it was in 1981

bro I've tried to listen to BTM and I always want to immediately turn it off lol. I've sat with headphones and a clear head and I've never gotten into it. It doesn't sound stronger than anything on Thriller to me. Do we know when he recorded it? I think I read it was in 1981
Yeah it's 1981. The problem is it's been overproduced.

Well. We haven’t actually heard the version intended for Thriller made by both Quincy and MJ. The finished version could be a worthy contender for a slot on the tracklist

Last edited:
Great song but I dont like the Saxophone on the Michael 2010 version but that can easily be edited out so much of the sax is gone.
I also like the demo we got but shame about the poor sound.

I wonder about Greg Phillinganes' version though: at around 2:52 he does a Michael style 'hee hee' and at 3:00 he does the same with an 'auw'. Seems like a reference to MJ's version, but a later one perhaps...?

Around 2:52 and 3:00

Back