Question about the song Joy? Why was it never included on Dangeorus

I suppose as someone that still to this day proclaims Dangerous as her favorite album ever since she was little can't really see Joy on there.
Also --- the reason why it's my favorite is unlike his other albums that seemed very much about dancing, partying and getting with girls *which is fine and adorable* this album has so many layers. It's not a one note one type thing --- and it can appeal to so many. Even my friends that really don't like pop LOVE Black or White cause it's simple but the guitar is absolutely catchy and lovely to listen too.

Every MJ album has a theme.. Adding the track would mean taking out another one.. Usually he only allowes minimal tracks that don't exactly fit it's theme.. He would either have to take out either one of the 'OFF' tracks. (ones that don't match the theme) or replace one of the themed tracks for 'JOY'. which would tilt the axis of the albums feel..

Usually Mike narrows tracks down to about 20-30 tracks.. THEN they say OK we're making a 14 track album so lets pick our top 14 tracks.. Now lets say there are 16 songs that are the 'FAVORITES'.. 2 left over tracks where they cannot chose.. This is when they talk more about the 'FEEL' of the album.. Which tracks match that feel.. Which ones have more 'Radio acceptability'.. etc.. Then they take 2 songs out.. JOY could have easily been just taken out from process of elimination..

The guy does hundreds of tracks and has written a few for others and some have leaked. It's only natural that some of us like those songs and would want them to be on the album. Let's say "Joy" was included on Dangerous (remember... we don't know what his version sounded like: it may only sound minimally like Blackstreet's version and may have been called "Rain" and been about seasons for all we know). Then imagine "Will You Be There" leaked. I'm sure many of us would be wondering why it did not make the album.

It's a great track and it would be awesome to hear an MJ version with vocals if one exists, but I can't complain about the Dangerous album. Hindsight is 20/20, but the album stands perfectly on its own.

Let's say "Joy" was included on Dangerous (remember... we don't know what his version sounded like: it may only sound minimally like Blackstreet's version and may have been called "Rain" and been about seasons for all we know)..
i have a feeling it sounded something like this lol

maybe that's all he sent to Teddy

arxter said:
eighthnoterojo said:
The intro and verses of Joy sound a helluva lot like the chorus from PYT 08 to me, albeit in a different key, I think the chord pattern is the same. And the melody too, barring embellishments.
true, but they're both a bit 'generic'. and that was what Mike originally demo'd for PYT back in the 80s (Will just remixed it). so no doubt he got the idea for Joy from it, consciously or not lol

See, this whole thread is going to go straight in to the toilet because you had to say "Dangerous" isn't as strong as "OTW" or "Thriller".

"Dangerous" has more pop on it then R&B anyway. "Remember The Time" is a love song, just mid-tempo. And he's got ballads. "Gone Too Soon", "Heal The World". They're not love songs, but they're still strong tracks.

Did Michael compose this song on his own and is he doing background vocals?

She drives me wild

Cant let her get away

Remember the time

In the closet

Jam

These are r&B tracks with hip hop beats.

But half the album can be considered pop, or has an undefineable vibe, and Michael is classified largely as a pop artist.

Joy it's a good song but to me it does not fit in the Dangerous album, which is a true masterpiece the way it is.

I completely disagree. The dance tracks on Off the Wall and Thriller vocally are far superior and thats what makes those 2 albums more classic. Anyone can get a great beat. Just get a popular hip hop producer to handle the beats like Teddy Riley did. What makes your songs catchy are the vocals, melody and for ppl to be able to sing along to it.

But Off the Wall and Thriller up tempo tracks. The vocals are far superior as well as the melodies. The dance tracks are just more catchy. Even the fillers like "Burn This Disco Out" and "Get on the Floor" on the Off the Wall album. Compare the vocals and how catch and easy it is to sing along with those songs compared to "She Drives Me Wild" , "Cant Let her Get Away" , " Jam". You can barely understand what MJ is saying on some of those Dangerous up tempo tracks. He's not really singing. With the excepton of Remember the Time.

Where's that Human Nature, Lady in My life on Dangerous. I dont consider Keep the Faith a love jam

Totally agree, though I do believe that Dangerous would've been the album to catch Thriller if it were not for the allegations. Just because I prefer Off The Wall to it (I'd say it's Joint with Thriller, only losing points because of dud tracks like Keep the Faith) doesn't mean I'm a fake fan or anything. I don't know how you could call for example Chris Brown a fake fan when he was born in what? 1990? Which means like me he grew up with Dangerous. Some of you are too quick to jump down peoples throats without reason.

Anywho, I think the track sound more like Keith Sweats "Make It Last Forever" than the PYT Demo but it still has similarities i guess.

Who ever called Chris Brown a fake fan? lol. Some just think he's a lame act and arrogant beyond what his talent justifies.

Dangerous is only considered better to die hard fans. Not non fans and current artist who look up to MJ.

When you hear artist like Ne Yo, Usher, Justin, Chris Brown speak about MJ albums its always Off The Wall and Thriller. The die hard fans are going to buy whatever you put out, but if non fans and simply the average music fan is not feeling it then your sales will slow down very fast after 2 weeks of your die hard fan base buying up the album.

that's cuz they accept Michael to be an '80s artist only. fake admirers.

None of them respect the true masterpieces that are dangerous and history.

Fake admirer then, same thing unless you want to get technical or something.

Back