Poll: Will 'This Is It' be nominated for best picture at the Oscars?

mjdove

Proud Member
Poll: Do you think Michael Jackson's 'This Is It' will be nominated for best picture at the Oscars?

Confusion reigns over whether the Michael Jackson concert documentary "This Is It" may compete at the Oscars. The answer is, well, complicated — like Michael Jackson himself.

As we reported a few days ago, "This Is It" may not compete in the next race for best documentary feature because it missed the deadline — it didn't play in a theater in New York and Los Angeles for seven days prior to Aug. 31.

However, "This Is It " may compete in other Oscar races this year, including best picture. Why not, eh? Reviews are strong. Roger Ebert (Chicago Sun-Times) calls it "extraordinary." Elysa Gardner of USA Today gave it three out of four stars, calling it "Equal parts thriller, off the wall, HIStory," adding that it "offers glimpses of Michael Jackson's bygone greatness, and poignant suggestions of what might have been."

But, alas, no documentary has ever been nominated in the past. Some quite famously tried and (disastrously) failed, including "Hoop Dreams" and "Fahrenheit 9/11." Michael Moore refused to enter "Fahrenheit 9/11" in the documentary category because he feared that its presence might dilute its chances of landing in the loftier category. That ploy revealed serious Oscar naivete, considering the two categories have vastly different voting systems. Nominees for best documentary feature are chosen by a relatively small screening committee, not the full academy electorate, which selects the best-picture lineup. In other words, it didn't run the risk of appearing twice on the average academy member's ballot, thus splitting its votes.

This year, there will be 10 nominees instead of the usual five, of course, so maybe this could be it for "This Is It."

http://goldderby.latimes.com/awards...tertainment-news-714826359-story-article.html

u know they will regardless. ratings p.r whatever u wanna call it. u think heath would have won if he hadnt died? maybe, maybe not but its always the same

I dont know... I'm confused as well....

Can a documentary/concert movie be nominated for Best Pictures???

Best Picture? No way.
Best Documentary? Possibly.

However, the deadline for Best Documentary nominations have already passed. So at the moment, I don't see this getting any Oscar nominations.

UNLESS, the Academy wants to make a special exception to the rules this year. ;)

I think the only category could be "documentary feature", but it would be cool if they gave him the honorary award for the artistic dance/acting/coreography work he has done in his numerous short films and other stage/film appearances. For example it was given to Michael Kidd in 1996 and he was not an actor.

Then there's also the humanitarian award... Lets just bomb academy with mails and probably they will notice they have to give those special awards to Michael.

I'm pretty sure it's not eligible. As the article mentions it missed the deadline for nomination.

never gonna happen
documentary would have been possible but if what these people say about the deadline is true then that's not possible either

I don't see This Is It being nominated in the Best Picture category. If nothing else, the Hollywood types are more selective of who gets nominated for what.

I just got back from seeing the movie. It was really good. Michael was raw and human. He was ordering people around and he has a really cute sense of humor.

I don't think it would be right for This Is It to be nominted for an Oscar. Michael's performances during the filmed rehearsals are amazing (even with him not giving 100% in dancing and singing).

I saw the film yesterday and I was disapointed how badly edited the film is, and how low the picture resolution was in places. This Is It was made from raw video footage, never ment for the public to see (I doubt Michael would have apporoved of the film) and this film as much as I love it was released to make AEG money, which is obvious when you watch it.

Could `Michael Jackson's This Is It' win an Oscar?

By SANDY COHEN, AP Entertainment Writer Sandy Cohen, Ap Entertainment Writer – 26 mins ago

LOS ANGELES – "Michael Jackson's This Is It" comes too late in the year to be considered for a documentary Oscar, but the film about the late King of Pop's preparations for a series of comeback concerts could qualify for other Hollywood honors, including the Academy Award for best picture.

The film, which opened around the globe Tuesday and Wednesday has already earned rousing praise from fans and critics, who say it restores Jackson's reputation as a world-class entertainer.

Director Kenny Ortega, a longtime Jackson collaborator who was overseeing his London concert comeback, crafted the nearly two-hour film from more than 100 hours of footage recorded during rehearsals for the London shows, which were to have begun in July. Jackson died June 25 at age 50.

"What we did here was focus on telling a good story and creating a film for the fans really enabling them to understand what Michael Jackson had dreamed for them," Ortega said Wednesday.

He added it was his hope "the audience for this film will grow and that as many people come to see it as possible because I think that it's a wonderful story about a brilliant man... Awards, Oscars, that's all great wishful thinking."

It may be more than wishful, said Steven Gaydos, executive editor of the Hollywood trade paper Variety and a self-described cynic. With the Academy Awards best-picture slate expanded to 10 films this year rather than the traditional five, "This Is It" could find itself among the contenders, he said.

To qualify, the film must complete a seven-day run in Los Angeles County and filmmakers would need to "submit the proper paperwork," said Leslie Unger, spokeswoman for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which puts on the Oscars. The movie could also be considered in other categories such as sound, she said.

Sony, which paid $60 million for the global film rights, plans to keep "This Is It" in theaters for just over two weeks. The studio did not respond to an e-mail seeking comment about whether it planned to submit the film in any of the Oscar categories.

The film took in $2.2 million domestically from its first late-night screenings, setting it up for a strong shot at a No. 1 debut weekend. It is already well on its way to becoming a top-grossing music documentary.

Ortega, a veteran director, producer and choreographer who counts TV's "High School Musical" among his credits, could find himself in contention for a best-director nod, Gaydos said.

"He did a masterful job putting this whole thing together," he said. "It was so powerful and interesting, so creative and well-done, I think he should be considered... Kenny just won over all these critics like me with Michael Jackson that anything interesting could go on with this guy."

After completing a weeklong run, "This Is It" could also be eligible for Golden Globe awards consideration if it's submitted before the Nov. 6 deadline, said Michael Russell, a spokesman for the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, which puts on the annual ceremony.

Ortega said an Oscar nod would be a fitting recognition of Jackson's last work.

"He deserves one," he said. "Come on people."

Associated Press writer Marcela Isaza in Los Angeles contributed to this report.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091029/ap_en_mo/us_film_jackson_s_oscar_prospects_5

if it missed the deadline then it will just have to wait a year.

that said: the oscar would have to be for documentary feature, and the oscar would go to kenny and possibly the producers.

i think it is probably a pretty good candidate: I thought the film, outside of being a great way to remember michael, was surprisngly well made. Documentary's are tough work and kenny did a great job. some of the editing was just sublime (that scene with speechless "i love you" *cut to fans going crazy* was really well done).

so who knows? i think it would be nice to see it be honoured.

Michael wanted it to be filmed. I think he would of wanted it for his fans to see. And why should it not be nominated for Best Film? It took energy, soul and lots of practice to make this documentary/film. I think they say Kenny might get nominated.
Heath Ledger deserves the Oscar whether he was alive or dead..

It just might. I know it will probably get nominated in other smaller categories for sure. Even if it just won one Oscar, that would be amazing. :)

OSCAR VOTER: "MJ's 'THIS IS IT' WILL BE NOMINATED FOR BEST PICTURE OSCAR!"

http://goldderby.latimes.com/awards...tertainment-news-841962573-story-article.html

A veteran Oscar voter predicts Michael Jackson's "This Is It" will be nominated for best picture based upon its reception at today's academy screening. He e-mails Gold Derby this report, "Just attended Sunday afternoon screening of 'This Is It' at AMPAS in Goldwyn Theater before a capacity audience (1,000 seats) to experience the most enthusiastic response I've every witnessed in 40 years of academy screenings. Similar to but better than the reaction given to 'Chicago' a few years ago Audience broke into applause at least 10 times. They were 'mesmerized' and gave film an enormous reception as credits rolled. The editing is brilliant. I predict it will be the first doc to ever make the best picture nomination list, especially now that there are 10 best pic noms. I also consider the work 'a gift to the world.' "

WOW!!!

Re: OSCAR VOTER: "MJ's 'THIS IS IT' WILL BE NOMINATED FOR BEST PICTURE OSCAR!"

wow, that would be amazing, even if it's nominated!

wow it is beautifull i hope it dose win kenny done a great job but spose it was easy with the material he had as michael was truely amazing

That would be incredible! I miss michael. :(

I hope so it is an amazing doc!! love and god bless

http://goldderby.latimes.com/awards...tertainment-news-841962573-story-article.html

A veteran Oscar voter predicts Michael Jackson's "This Is It" will be nominated for best picture based upon its reception at today's academy screening. He e-mails Gold Derby this report, "Just attended Sunday afternoon screening of 'This Is It' at AMPAS in Goldwyn Theater before a capacity audience (1,000 seats) to experience the most enthusiastic response I've every witnessed in 40 years of academy screenings. Similar to but better than the reaction given to 'Chicago' a few years ago Audience broke into applause at least 10 times. They were 'mesmerized' and gave film an enormous reception as credits rolled. The editing is brilliant. I predict it will be the first doc to ever make the best picture nomination list, especially now that there are 10 best pic noms. I also consider the work 'a gift to the world.' "

WOW!!!

Keyword. Predicts. That doesn't mean it's happening. He just thinks it might. No point getting hopes up, even if it is nominated I doubt very much it would win best picture. Best editing or sound maybe. Not best picture. And this has already been posted btw.

There's word that it MIGHT get a nom since the number of films was upped to 10 from 5. Chances of it actually WINNING are slim I think. True, this is a film like no other, but the academy tend to vote for the most "artistic"/pretentious film.

doesn't mean it CANT happen. I'd love to see it happen. But in all honesty, as great of a film experience as it was, its far from a perfect film, and far from Best Picture quality.

There's word that it MIGHT get a nom since the number of films was upped to 10 from 5. Chances of it actually WINNING are slim I think. True, this is a film like no other, but the academy tend to vote for the most "artistic"/pretentious film.

doesn't mean it CANT happen. I'd love to see it happen. But in all honesty, as great of a film experience as it was, its far from a perfect film, and far from Best Picture quality.

You're totally right. Maybe for sound but best picture would only bring more attacks from the haters. Plus didn't MJ said at some point that he never cared about awards and kept them in boxes or something like that.

And Sony's laughing all the way to the bank, what more do they want?

But a nomination is always nice I guess. It would certainly help selling the upcoming DVD.

If Sony is willing to put the money into campaigning the movie for the Academy Awards, could have a decent chance.

IDK. . . heard that Oprah's movie 'Precious' is also getting some Oscar buzz. I've no idea what other movies are being considered for best picture.

Back