Peas star will.i.am brought prince and jackson together

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date
It's true. She said MJ named his daughter after her and asked her mother if it would be ok to use thename first.
I think Michael named Paris jackson because he and Debbie had her in paris.

Prince visited Hayvenhurst around 1982 or 83 and had dinner with the Jacksons. Several members of Prince's bands & staff said Mike visited him several times and that Mike has sent Prince videos of concerts of Sly & The Family Stone and other acts.

I think Michael named Paris jackson because he and Debbie had her in paris.

I also remember reading multiple times that the name "Paris" came from where Paris was conceived (sorry for the word if it's too personal to use). Debbie was with Michael in Paris at some point going by pictures that were out there years back, so who really knows?

In the end, depending upon the souce reporting anything, hard to absolutely know for sure what influenced Michael to use the name Paris.

And I just now recalled that Debbie was interviewed and was asked the question about the name, and she gave the answer that it chosen because of location where they were at the "time", so to speak. Does anyone else remember an interview like that?

Starting to feel like this might be getting too personal, and really going way off topic of the thread, time for me to back out of the convo,

I also remember reading multiple times that the name "Paris" came from where Paris was conceived (sorry for the word if it's too personal to use). Debbie was with Michael in Paris at some point going by pictures that were out there years back, so who really knows?

In the end, depending upon the souce reporting anything, hard to absolutely know for sure what influenced Michael to use the name Paris.

And I just now recalled that Debbie was interviewed and was asked the question about the name, and she gave the answer that it chosen because of location where they were at the "time", so to speak. Does anyone else remember an interview like that?

It seems to me that it was in the "Take two" interview :) She said they were at Disneyland Paris

MJ and Prince were never rivals. Their rival was a friendly rivalry. The story is that Quincey had MJ and Prince over to dinner and MJ pitched that Bad be a duet. Prince objected to the line 'your butt is mine' and declined.

Your post reminds me of the following video:

[youtube]auLFJLSJxs0[/youtube]

Last edited:
Prince and MJ weren't rivals. The press just made up the rivalry to sell stories and kept the lie going for years.

That's right! All this stuff about a "rivalry" between them is just something the media made up. And now Rolling Stone it seems is warming up the old (untrue) stuff again just to promote their interview with Will.I.Am. Rolling Stone became a tabloid long ago.

And it's also not true that it's the first time MJ and Prince got together since 1983! They regularly attended each other's concerts and met backstage! In one recent interview that Jennifer Batten did with Charles Thomson she talked about such an occasion - it was in a concert on Bad Tour or Dangerous Tour (more likely Bad Tour) when Prince attended with Sheila E. Also I have never heard them talk badly about each other. Prince used to play Billie Jean on his concerts! They had big respect for each other!

I almost forgot "Bad" was supposed to be a duet with the two of them originally and they started to work together in the studio but then Prince quit because of "artistic differences". And La Toya wrote in her book that back in the 80s Prince used to try to court her.

Really, Prince and Michael knew each other on a personal level, they met and talked on several occasions, they have respect for each other, so it's really not a big deal what Will.I.Am and Rolling Stone are talking about!

Starting to feel like this might be getting too personal, and really going way off topic of the thread, time for me to back out of the convo,

According to Debbie Michael first wanted to name her "Princess" but she thought it was stupid and it was Debbie who suggested "Paris" instead, because that's where she was conceived.

(Here is the interview in which she talks about that, among others: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ksons-children-Debbie-Rowe.html#ixzz0lHLsTvQ7 )

It was ironic that Michael died on the 25th anniversary of Purple Rain (release in 1984 June 25). I think Prince was hurt at the death of MJ and the rival was media made.

There was NO rivalry

Michael and Prince were on good terms. They first met when Prince was doing his debut album and Michael was either recording Destiny or Off The Wall.

They had dinner together on several occasions and visited each other at the studio. Prince declined to do Bad but he submitted a song called "Would You Love 2 Love Me" for the album

Michael used to send tapes of James Brown and Sly Stone concerts to Prince because they were both big fans

Prince was also pissed at Tatiana Thumbtzen when she talked about Michael during the trial

AND Prince has played several of Michael's songs during his concerts like The Way You Make Me Feel, Shake Your Body, I Want You Back, Don't Stop Til You Get Enough, and Billie Jean

AND Prince has played several of Michael's songs during his concerts like The Way You Make Me Feel, Shake Your Body, I Want You Back, Don't Stop Til You Get Enough, and Billie Jean
He has also performed a little portion of Janet's "What Have You Done For Me Lately?".

no rivals that was media bs to create friction between two black superstars.

prince was influenced and inspired by MJ. quite a few prince rehearsal tapes in the 80's had prince and his band covering the j5 songs and MJ''s bad era tour band covered prince as well.

they spent some time together.

prince was sprung on latoya. he had it bad for her back in the day as did alot of us. she was fione back then.

they viewed each other as competition. but respected one another.

mj was offered wouldn't you love to love me which went to taja seville on her debut paisley park album.

mj wouldn't take a prince song because alot of folks would say yeah that shows who is better and vice versa prince wouldn't take a mj track.

never the less they were cool and respectful of one another.

i know prince took mj's death hard.

in all honesty i would hate to thank it would take will i am to bring these two cats together since musically speaking will can't carry neithe one of there's jock strap.

Just reading this thread made me giggle - Prince named after Prince etc! I think it was good for the media to invent the 'rivalry' between them. I think they themselves probably enhanced the pretend rivalry for media attention - remember moonwalker where little Michael walks out the building asking what Bubbles is wearing then is like "Prince T- shirt -eugh!"

It is eerie how he passed on the day that was the 25th anniversary of Prince's Purple rain and precisely 6 months before james brown passes away on that very same day...Just strange and makes you question the idea of fate or co incidence

With regards to the 1983 concert it is difficult to know..On one hand mj might have seen prince at the show, seen how high he was and the idea suddenly struck him on stage to invite him up, knowing he was not in a performing mode and could make him look bad..This is not inconceivable although maybe unlikely...

Or mj could of recognises there is another powerful force in the room. who also admired james brown greatly and would never of been called up on stage without mj mentioning it..He could have saiid ''you know prince is in the crowd, he would love to come up ( duno if that was true)..James Brown definately knew who prince was but maybe not know he was in the crowd..And maybe mj thought prince would be upset mj got called up and not himself..So from that point of view, mj was being selfless and leaving the stage when prince came up to give him the full limelight and simply DIDN'T know he was as high a a kite.

Who knows the real motives as to why mj called up prince because he wouldn't be up there if it wasn't for mj mentioning it to james brown...What is clear is that mj came off looking like a polished performer and prince looked erratic and was even cut from the official release of the show...But was it mj's fault? Debatable and i guess we can only speculate..

I find it more interesting hearing what prince meant when he talked about mj at a press conference...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCYJMBFt5TI

He says - ''He might know something none of us really know..so lets just wait and see, let's wait it out because you just never know.Ultimately we all gotta come back home so lets just make a home for everyone.''

This can be interpreted in many ways imo...Come back home? What is that implying...What is he saying we should wait and see about? Who knows what prince knew or meant here..But it is very curious to me as to what he could be talking about.

Bottom line ...2 Genius of any era that can not be compared as they were so different...But 2 geniuses regardless

but William said back in 2008 inteview that MJ did not like the way Prince meet him . he was disturbed by his actions when he played the giutar in MJ's face .

and , in ' Life 'O' the Party'

Prince said :

But it ain't nothing if it ain't fun
My voice is getting higher
and Eye ain't never had my nose done
That's the other guy
All the purple hippies bang your head on the 1

Last edited:
MJ and Prince couldn't be together in the same room for too long as the world could not contain the awesomeness. The media then misunderstood it as a rivalry.

Lol, now I can understand why there may have been bit of a rift on Prince's part from this. Prince never danced, and wasn't that exceptionally great of a singer, all he could do at that time was go onstage and get naked, lol. I'm a Prince fan, but after Michael did his thing, it all seemed so weak.

:lol: But whose fault is that? You should read what Rick James says Prince did when he used to be the opening act for him.

Also, just to clear up some confusion about that video ^^ above...

The reason why Prince got hot about it is because he was obviously trashed and in no condition to perform! When Mike went up, he whispered to James that Prince was in the audience too, knowing that he was wasted and would probably embarrass himself!

There's no way Prince could have declined to go up there either, especially after Mike did. MJ set him up perfectly!!!

:brow: How would Mike know he was trashed? We can assume they weren't sitting next to each other. I bet somebody just told Mike; 'Hey Prince is here and MJ told JB so he wouldn't feel left out.

Prince visited Hayvenhurst around 1982 or 83 and had dinner with the Jacksons. Several members of Prince's bands & staff said Mike visited him several times and that Mike has sent Prince videos of concerts of Sly & The Family Stone and other acts.

Thanks for the information.

but William said back in 2008 inteview that MJ did not like the way Prince meet him . he was disturbed by his actions when he played the giutar in MJ's face .

and , in ' Life 'O' the Party'

Prince said :

But it ain't nothing if it ain't fun
My voice is getting higher
and Eye ain't never had my nose done
That's the other guy
All the purple hippies bang your head on the 1

MJ was a class act, I have to say. There are a couple of Prince songs in which he is referred to (usually not positively, like here) but he never got into that fight in his own lyrics. The only place where he was referring to Prince was in Moonwalker when he said (or to be more precise the kid who played him in "Badder" said Bubbles was wearing a Prince T-shirt. But that was funny and not offensive).

Nevertheless I still don't think there was a rivalry or serious hate between these two.

Back