Oscar voter: Michael Jackson's 'This Is It' will be nominated for best picture

Calotte12

Proud Member
A veteran Oscar voter predicts Michael Jackson's "This Is It" will be nominated for best picture based upon its reception at today's academy screening. He e-mails Gold Derby this report, "Just attended Sunday afternoon screening of 'This Is It' at AMPAS in Goldwyn Theater before a capacity audience (1,000 seats) to experience the most enthusiastic response I've every witnessed in 40 years of academy screenings. Similar to but better than the reaction given to 'Chicago' a few years ago Audience broke into applause at least 10 times. They were 'mesmerized' and gave film an enormous reception as credits rolled. The editing is brilliant. I predict it will be the first doc to ever make the best picture nomination list, especially now that there are 10 best pic noms. I also consider the work 'a gift to the world.' "

What do other people think? We asked Gold Derby readers in a poll that received more than 1,300 responses. See results here.

http://goldderby.latimes.com/awards...tertainment-news-841962573-story-article.html

I'm glad they loved it. Its really something for him to say it is "the most enthusiastic response I've every witnessed in 40 years of academy screenings." But didn't they say that TII had missed the deadline for the Oscars (or was it another award)? So does he mean it'll be nominated the next time?

Cool story but I am tired of people making these high threshold predictions on MJ related stuff. I will wait until the announcements are made. I can't handle getting my hopes up and then fretting until the announcement. It will happen as god wishes it to.

I'm glad they loved it. Its really something for him to say it is "the most enthusiastic response I've every witnessed in 40 years of academy screenings." But didn't they say that TII had missed the deadline for the Oscars (or was it another award)? So does he mean it'll be nominated the next time?

It missed the category for 'best documentary', it's got a shot at picking up nominations for best editing, sound, and picture (I'm not sure about others...does anybody know?). Either way, a nom for anything would be beyond AWESOME!

Cool story but I am tired of people making these high threshold predictions on MJ related stuff. I will wait until the announcements are made. I can't handle getting my hopes up and then fretting until the announcement. It will happen as god wishes it to.
I agree... I think all MJ fans should stay cool in regards to 'oscar buzz'. It would be awesome, but please don't get your hopes up.

OMG! Can you imagine if this were to really happen?

I'm just so happy that this great film is getting this type of attention.

I don't want to think that too far either. One thing at a time.

yey! i hope he does, would make him so proud!

That would just be the icing on the cake for this movie to be nominated and win Oscars. It would be MJ's dream. I hope it gets several nominations!

It definitely deserves to be nominated. It's the best film I've seen all year.

i hope he wins. when it comes time to vote we got to get him this. this is one he will earn and not ..... nevermind just vote like mad when the time comes.

Um we don't get to vote who win the Oscars...?

This is copied and pasted directly from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences website:

Each November, an election campaign commences that rivals, at least in Hollywood, the passions and sometimes the excesses of the quadrennial race for the nation’s presidency.

It’s the race for the Academy Award nomination.

Because the Academy numbers among its members the most gifted and skilled artists and craftsmen in the motion picture world, its Award stands alone as a symbol of superior achievement.

And because of the Academy’s successful efforts to eliminate splashy gimmicks and gifts, the “race” to be nominated consists principally of attempts by studios, independent distributors and publicists to make sure that each of the nearly 6,000 voting members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences sees their film. It means special screenings for Academy members, free admission to commercial runs of a film, and the mailing of DVDs.

The Academy aggressively monitors Award campaigning and has issued regulations that limit company mailings to those items that actually assist members in their efforts to assess the artistic and technical merits of a film.

The Nominations Process
Nomination ballots are mailed to the Academy’s active members in late December and are due back to PricewaterhouseCoopers, an international accounting firm, in January.

Regular awards are presented for outstanding individual or collective film achievements in up to 25 categories. Members from each of the branches vote to determine the nominees in their respective categories – actors nominate actors, film editors nominated film editors, etc. However within the Animated Feature Film and Foreign Language Film categories, nominations are selected by vote of multi-branch screening committees.

All voting members are eligible to select the Best Picture nominees.

The results of nomination balloting are announced at a 5:30 a.m. (PT) press conference the third week of January at the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills.

Final Balloting Process
Final ballots are mailed to voting members in late-January and are due back to PricewaterhouseCoopers the Tuesday prior to Oscar Sunday for final tabulation.

The Academy’s entire active membership is eligible to select Oscar winners in all categories, although in five – Animated Short Film, Live Action Short Film, Documentary Feature, Documentary Short Subject, and Foreign Language Film – members can vote only after attesting they have seen all of the nominated films in those categories.

After final ballots are tabulated, only two partners of PricewaterhouseCoopers know the results until the famous envelopes are opened onstage during the Academy Awards presentation.

(As a big fan of film I think it would be just amazing if he was nominated, as even if it didn't win for an award, just being nominated puts TII in a league above the rest. I'm not going to think it will be nominated until I actually hear it is though, as it would be a big deal with no documentary ever being nominated for Best Pic before).

Last edited:
I would love for this to happen. :)

But I don't want to get too excited about this until it actually happens, so let's not jinx anything. :crossed fingers:

There was a very interesting article in the TII Box Office thread about 'box office punditry' where rival studios spread certain comments to overhype movies of their rival studios and then when expectations aren't met, the media has a field day saying that the movie was a bomb. Well, it happened to TII and an 'executive' from a rival studio had predicted that TII would make $90 million domestically during opening wknd, which seems quite steep. Now we know that the 5-day in take was about $30-$40 million, which is very respectable.

Anyways, I am just hoping that this Oscar buzz isn't some part of a rival studio's plan to demean the movie.

Or maybe I am just paranoid. . . LOL! I'll be popping open some champagne if TII is nominated for a best picture Oscar!

I don't think TII will win but with there now being 10 pics being nominated it will be nominated. MJ deserves this.

This is copied and pasted directly from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences website:

Each November, an election campaign commences that rivals, at least in Hollywood, the passions and sometimes the excesses of the quadrennial race for the nation’s presidency.

It’s the race for the Academy Award nomination.

Because the Academy numbers among its members the most gifted and skilled artists and craftsmen in the motion picture world, its Award stands alone as a symbol of superior achievement.

And because of the Academy’s successful efforts to eliminate splashy gimmicks and gifts, the “race” to be nominated consists principally of attempts by studios, independent distributors and publicists to make sure that each of the nearly 6,000 voting members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences sees their film. It means special screenings for Academy members, free admission to commercial runs of a film, and the mailing of DVDs.

The Academy aggressively monitors Award campaigning and has issued regulations that limit company mailings to those items that actually assist members in their efforts to assess the artistic and technical merits of a film.

The Nominations Process
Nomination ballots are mailed to the Academy’s active members in late December and are due back to PricewaterhouseCoopers, an international accounting firm, in January.

Regular awards are presented for outstanding individual or collective film achievements in up to 25 categories. Members from each of the branches vote to determine the nominees in their respective categories – actors nominate actors, film editors nominated film editors, etc. However within the Animated Feature Film and Foreign Language Film categories, nominations are selected by vote of multi-branch screening committees.

All voting members are eligible to select the Best Picture nominees.

The results of nomination balloting are announced at a 5:30 a.m. (PT) press conference the third week of January at the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills.

Final Balloting Process
Final ballots are mailed to voting members in late-January and are due back to PricewaterhouseCoopers the Tuesday prior to Oscar Sunday for final tabulation.

The Academy’s entire active membership is eligible to select Oscar winners in all categories, although in five – Animated Short Film, Live Action Short Film, Documentary Feature, Documentary Short Subject, and Foreign Language Film – members can vote only after attesting they have seen all of the nominated films in those categories.

After final ballots are tabulated, only two partners of PricewaterhouseCoopers know the results until the famous envelopes are opened onstage during the Academy Awards presentation.

(As a big fan of film I think it would be just amazing if he was nominated, as even if it didn't win for an award, just being nominated puts TII in a league above the rest. I'm not going to think it will be nominated until I actually hear it is though, as it would be a big deal with no documentary ever being nominated for Best Pic before).

where in there does it say that we vote for oscars....unless they all of sudden changed the way they do things then I don't we can vote

OMG! Can you imagine if this were to really happen?

I'm just so happy that this great film is getting this type of attention.

Oh, me too...it really deserves it, Michael took concerts experiences to another level, so it should be looked at differently, i mean from the story he told with Earth song, to making dance really interesting to watch (even background dancers were interesting) you really don't see that from other entertainers...), to his amazing voice. whether your a Michael fan or not, it was that good. i'd be shocked if it wasn't at least nominated in the Oscars. there's probably people who think it would get sympathy vote since he died, but the movie was so good you got to look past that and nominate for simply how amazing the film really is.

where in there does it say that we vote for oscars....unless they all of sudden changed the way they do things then I don't we can vote

Yeah I can't see it either. It's the members of the Academy that vote, I doubt any one of us is a member.

Back