Original TGIM has NOTHING on 2008 version.. here's why..

there are tons of old school songs that have aged that are brilliant...sooo...?

... so nothing.

just putting across opinions and my taste as to how i like my songs and productions in relation to the topic.

brilliant example for me is Marvin Gaye's 1982 Midnight Love album - aged too badly that makes his older productions seem so crisp and fresh. but i still love the composition and songwriting (it brought us Sexual Healing). in the case of TGIM, i'm a fan of neither.

I heard the original demo to this song (TGIM) and the beginning of it actually sounds like the remix, so obviously he must have just used the original demo version to make the remix anyway!

I think the remix is way better then album version as well. PYT08 is another hot joint that's WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY better then the album verision. The demos to these songs are much better then the album version too.

Now beat it, wannbe 08, and billie jean are another sad story! lol fergie and acorn murder two classic hits.

I agree with the orig poster. The new TGIM is soooo hot, especially Mike's adlibs and falsetto over will.i.am's rap. I never really cared for the original TGIM so when I heard they were doing a remix I didn't expect much out of it. But when I heard it, I was like, "Wow". It's a great blend of hip hop and MJ's smooth voice. I also like the PYT remix. The others though, WBSS08, Beat It, BJ, I don't even listen to on the album. The original WBSS is soooooo much better!

yeah i agree with you, i like the girl is mine and pyt mixes sooooooooooo much but don';t really listen to the others

I'm digging all these wonderful old threads nowadays. I joined last September, so I'm kinda catching up, which is exciting.

Back to the topic...the original version is ok to me. I swear I got to be in a certain mood to play that. I usually skip it. So, my expectation level was so low for this 2008 version. It was only last month that I really listened to the song from start to finish. Now I can say it's much better than the original. I can dig the dark sound that will i.am. added. (my languauge to describe music is limited, but y'all know what this means...) Would sound better if Mike had recorded his vocal with more raspy voice to fit the dark sound. Then, the melody would've had to change here and there to go with the voice, IMO. Then, maybe the lyrics as well....the list goes on...I mean it could've been a remix that sounds similar to the original but new.

Hell no, the original poops all over the crappy ass remix with Will.I.Am's annoying ass voice throwing up all over the song, lol. I looove "The Girl Is Mine" and always have and I don't care what anybody says... Oh wait, I already said that, lol.

My favorite version of The Girl Is Mine is the Demo version but i also love the version that actually made it onto the Thriller album. The remix with Wil i am i can't stand, i find will i am to be really annoying shouting ''She mine, she mine'' lol

the demo is the best, imo.
i love the strings.. i feel the demo is arranged more so to what the song should have been.

this song live with simple arrangement behind would be magic.

anyway the way he delivers the first line of the song................. all the amateurs out their should take a listen, lol.

wow its so funny how out taste differ! even tho im not a big fan of will.i.am i really enjoy the remixes i love the way it sounds so smooth and his voice! amzing adlibs on the girl is mine...i love to listen to the end on repeat just for those adlibs!!!

i love tgim 2008 version soooo much i like the club mix better tho

I didn't like any of the new versions, they should have left the songs alone or got some better remixers like Shep Pettibone. So I like the Paul version better. I liked it when I 1st heard it back in the 80s.

SOOOooooo...I looooooooove all the songs on Thriller, and I still listen to them all the time, lol.

*wbss- the original is BY FAR better. no contest
*tgim- the original is BY FAR better...(but I love the demo(solo) one too!)
*pyt- this is a tough one for me between the original and the demo... The demo of this song is actually my favorite song, but I am in love with the album version....but I don't like the pyt2008 better than the demo or the album version

hmmmm.....actually, I'm not a huge fan of Thriller2008....I have it, and I just don't listen to it......to tell the truth, I'm not big on remixes...especially remixing classics.

2008 > Original

Why?

Paul's voice sucks.
The instrumentation on 2008 is better.
Will's parts are actually enjoyable unlike Paul's.

To this day, TGIS is still the only song, along with The Lost Children, I absolutely cannot stand to listen to.

On the topic of WBSS08, it's tied with WBSS for awesomeness. WBSS has better story behind it in my opinion, and the remix melody is awesome. WBSS is great for dancing.

PYT08 is a better dance song, but the vocals in both are great.

2008 > Original

Why?

Paul's voice sucks.
The instrumentation on 2008 is better.
Will's parts are actually enjoyable unlike Paul's.

To this day, TGIS is still the only song, along with The Lost Children, I absolutely cannot stand to listen to.

On the topic of WBSS08, it's tied with WBSS for awesomeness. WBSS has better story behind it in my opinion, and the remix melody is awesome. WBSS is great for dancing.

PYT08 is a better dance song, but the vocals in both are great.
Paul is way better than will.i.am, who's not a singer, but a rapper. Paul hasn't been popular since 1964 for nothing. Mike likes Paul & The Beatles as well.

Paul is way better than will.i.am, who's not a singer, but a rapper. Paul hasn't been popular since 1964 for nothing. Mike likes Paul & The Beatles as well.

Paul's voice is horrible. And most people I know don't care about the Beatles anymore. Beyond overrated.

Paul can sing, give me a break. I don't like the guy, but he's got a great voice and I actually think his voice works with Michael's extremely well. And comparing that bastardization of WBSS that Akon did to the original and actually saying it's equal or better is beyond ridiculous, lol. WBSS is a piece of musical genius and one of my favorite songs from Michael, thus my username. I don't even listen to the god aweful remixes of "Thriller 25". I only bought the dang thing for "For All Time" and "Got the Hots".

the demo is the best, imo.
i love the strings.. i feel the demo is arranged more so to what the song should have been.

this song live with simple arrangement behind would be magic.

anyway the way he delivers the first line of the song................. all the amateurs out their should take a listen, lol.

His voice on the song is so good... I can't even explain it, lol. And the end, after he and Paul do the rap, when Michael sings "Noo, the girl is miine", ahhh. Forget it! I can't believe how good his voice is.

TGIM 2008 is a fun track but honestly it doesn't sound like anything that couldn't come from any number of today's current artists. There's nothing "my God this is incredible" about it. Original TGIM is a classic piece, even if it is outdated (the remix will be outdated in due time too). Saying it has nothing on the remix is like saying Michael Jackson has nothing on Usher.

And Paul McCartney's a damn good singer too.

Anyone here that has seen the almost classic movie "Brown Sugar"?
With them hip hop dalmatians cover of TGIM? :D

Paul's voice is horrible. And most people I know don't care about the Beatles anymore. Beyond overrated.
Somebody does because The Beatles 1 album sold 27 million and it had no new material or unreleased stuff on it. There was a movie released a couple of years ago called "Across The Universe" as well as the "Love" show in Las Vegas. They're getting ready to release remastered/remixed versions of all of their albums. Their songs are used in lots of commercials. Nobody knows the remixed Thriller stuff except hardcore fans who bought the album yet again.

I actually like the remix. It took me a while to warm up to it, but now I like it. I listen to it more than the original these days.

I hate how some McCartney fans on YouTube just go around to TGIM or SSS and blast Michael... They call him everything negative they can... :mad: They're friends with some of the MJ fans on YouTube but won't stop flaming anti-MJ comments upon TGIM demo...

I'd use the remixes for hip-hop, but keep the originals for singing. TGIM, along with Ben and a few others is also a beautiful song for landscape photography slideshows. However, I learned the hard way that Ben is not a good song for YouTube videos because Universal Music Group tried banning it from a few countries! It was a slideshow about Taiwan, but it's even banned there!

The demo of TGIM is so magical, but I don't know why the one on the single is longer and nobody has uploaded on YouTube the differences... But I love the sparkly sounds on the original.

Last edited:
Somebody does because The Beatles 1 album sold 27 million and it had no new material or unreleased stuff on it. There was a movie released a couple of years ago called "Across The Universe" as well as the "Love" show in Las Vegas. They're getting ready to release remastered/remixed versions of all of their albums. Their songs are used in lots of commercials. Nobody knows the remixed Thriller stuff except hardcore fans who bought the album yet again.

I didn't say they weren't popular. Thank you for misunderstanding my very simple to read post. -_-

Back