Original Glove from 1983 Motown's 25th Anniversary Sells BIG

Whoa. If only I'd won the lottery last week, I'd have outbid that hotel guy, lol.

So people don't have to visit this crap site :D

The sparkly white glove Michael Jackson wore for his first moonwalk was the star of a rock auction Saturday, fetching an astounding $350,000.
The winning bidder counted himself lucky to be taking home the prize.
"It was a bargain - we were expecting to pay more," said Hoffman Ma, a Hong Kong hotel executive. "We're going to put it on display in our hotel. It will be free for everyone."
Ma traveled to New York just for the auction but some of his staff bid on other items online - to round out their new King of Pop collection, set for display at his Ponte 16 hotel in Macau.
Jackson had given the glove to Walter Orange of the Commodores after his 1983 moonwalk at Motown's 25th anniversary special.
Other Jackson keepsakes included a fang tooth mold used in the "Thriller" video - which fetched $16,000 - and a black fedora the music icon wore to the 1995 MTV music awards - for which a Swiss collector paid $60,000.
"I came because I wanted to be close to him, now that he's not here," said Anita Bailey, 43, of Jamaica, Queens.
"I'm really interested in his outfit for 'Bad.' I want to get just a little piece of Michael to hold on to."
One upper East Side resident, who declined to give his name, came dressed as the late King of Pop for the occasion - complete with his own replica of MJ's iconic white glove.
"I don't have thousands and thousands of dollars. But it's as close as I'll ever get to [the glove]," he said.
"The glove was the main thing ... his career exploded after that."

If only I had the money!!!!!!!

I'm happy that the winner said that it is free for everyone to see at his hotel (unless there are entrance fees).

Is this auction for charity or is it for greedy MJ 'Friends'?

hello

I was there!!! and sad to say that none of the MJ fans from NY showed up at least nothing worth mentioning. There was one guy from Ireland who I spoke with and he did MJ impersonation (bless him for dressing up like MJ and putting the effort) right infront of the stage before glove went on auction.

I took some great pictures and spoke to alot of people who won other garments.

I will post a detailed report with pictures tomorrow.

but here are some of the prices. Note that these are (raw) hammer prices. For actual final prices add 25% up to 50,000 and 20% over 50,000

Mj glove $350,000 from Hong Kong. Its going to be in a hotel at macau or $420,000 actual
Bad tour jacket for $225,000 (going to Texas)
MTV 1995 VMA fedora for $60,000 to switzerland
Victoy Tour fedora $22,000
We are the world signed poster $35000 (japan I think)
MJ's black or white performance shirt with arm brace $55000
MJ's last dangerous performance suit for $175,000
Blue Glove $105,000
Black Glove $40,000
Beat It lyrics $50,000
Mickey Mouse dressed in Bad outfit drawing $45,000 (people from far east I think Japan)
Charles Chaplin painting $22,000 Hong Kong
Charles Chaplin Pen sketch $26,000
BAD RIAA signed award $22,000
MJ thriller video fang (teeth) $16,000
MJ signed pillow case $18,000 (could be 16,000 I can't read my notes lol!)
MJ socks glittery $50,000 (won by same guy as motown glove)
what more can I give signed art $22,000

it was a wonderful night for me and a shame that more MJ fans couldn't be there. The MJ cheering and shouting came from the California fans and some people who were from Texas.

Nearly everything went from 5-6 times more than predicted with some like bad jacket as much as 15-20 times more. This jacket was on ebay for $175,000 a few months back and most people thought the guy selling it was asking for too much. :) That would have been a $50,000 bargin.... only! LOL

MJ's auction was bar none THE BIGGEST highlight of the night as anyone can guess and it was amazing to see that 60%+ bids came from outside US (which is not really a surprise)

anyways lot more to come!!!!

Last edited:
I was actually a little disappointed it didn't sell for a lot more. That glove made history!

figures. i would have to go to China to see something legendary. i have yet to be close to anything legendary, like that.

but..i was five feet away from the King of Pop, himself, when he rode by in his limo, a few years ago....so..

but..i'd do anything to be able to go and see that glove

yeah...i'll always treasure seeing him up close...

and that's the best thing...but..still...i'm mad that the glove is so far away...

the fact that the writers of the article are 'shocked' at the bidding, shows the envy. same with those who thought the tour jacket was being started at one hundred seventy five thousand....MJ, the most envied artist of all time.

I was actually a little disappointed it didn't sell for a lot more. That glove made history!

what???????????????

this is one glove. 420K is a lot of money.

Club30s, CNN just showed a report on the glove and I saw many fans. Why do you say NY fans did not show up???

hello

I was there!!! and sad to say that none of the MJ fans from NY showed up at least nothing worth mentioning. There was one guy from Ireland who I spoke with and he did MJ impersonation (bless him for dressing up like MJ and putting the effort) right infront of the stage before glove went on auction.

I took some great pictures and spoke to alot of people who won other garments.

I will post a detailed report with pictures tomorrow.

but here are some of the prices
Mj glove $350,000 from Hong Kong. Its going to be in a hotel at macau
Bad tour jacket for $225,000 (going to Texas)
MTV 1995 VMA fedora for $60,000 to switzerland
Victoy Tour fedora $22,000
We are the world signed poster $35000 (japan I think)
MJ's black or white performance shirt with arm brace $55000
MJ's last dangerous performance suit for $175,000
Blue Glove $105,000
Black Glove $40,000
Beat It lyrics $50,000
Mickey Mouse dressed in Bad outfit drawing $45,000 (people from far east I think Japan)
Charles Chaplin painting $22,000 Hong Kong
Charles Chaplin Pen sketch $26,000
BAD RIAA signed award $22,000
MJ thriller video fang (teeth) $16,000
MJ signed pillow case $18,000 (could be 16,000 I can't read my notes lol!)
MJ socks glittery $50,000 (won by same guy as motown glove)
what more can I give signed art $22,000

it was a wonderful night for me and a shame that more MJ fans couldn't be there. The MJ cheering and shouting came from the California fans and some people who were from Texas.

Nearly everything went from 5-6 times more than predicted with some like bad jacket as much as 15-20 times more. This jacket was on ebay for $175,000 a few months back and most people thought the guy selling it was asking for too much. :) That would have been a $50,000 bargin.... only! LOL

MJ's auction was bar none THE BIGGEST highlight of the night as anyone can guess and it was amazing to see that 60%+ bids came from outside US (which is not really a surprise)

anyways lot more to come!!!!

awesome... and how exciting for you to be there!
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
can hardly wait to see your pictures

Club30s, CNN just showed a report on the glove and I saw many fans. Why do you say NY fans did not show up???

There were none. Those people that you saw were part of a group of bidders from California who were loud enough to create energy (bless their hearts for that) with each bid. Other than that there was no one worth mentioning from NY. Plus one irish guy who was there dressed up as MJ. Kudos to him for doing MJ impersonation in front of the stage WITHOUT music.

A city as big as this and MJ fans can't get their sh!t organized and be there. that is embarrassing.

And what pissed me off even more was that before the auction on the speakers and on the screen they played everything BUT MJ. Such stupidity if you ask me. If you want to conduct a historic MJ auction don't you want people to get motivated? So I went up an spoke to Julien's people about that and they said well nobody has said anything about it except you.... what can I say.

anyways, despite the lack of NY MJ fans the auction was a blast! The biggest entertainment I had in months for sure. I am glad I was part of that MJ history.

Throughout the event I was talking to people and giving them MJ facts about his memorabilia especially wardrobe pieces. Like people did not knew MJ performed BAD in munich 92 also wearing a similar or possibly the same BAD jacket.

It was a great event that could have been even better with more MJ fans and more sense from Julien's people. But, I am still happy for those people who were there for MJ.

people commenting on glove going for $350,00 hammer being less. I somewhat agree with this. I thought it was going to go for $500,000 hammer price. For example I spoke to the guy who won the glove and he said he thought it was a bargain because he was easily going to bid up to $375,000. Now, this I knew this before glove actual being auctioned off.

But still compare this $420,000 final price with $48,000 for someone who won a glove last week in Australia and in 1991 MJ's glove fetched $40,000 I think at Sotheby's England

Now some pieces were astronomical and I was puzzled why those people paid that much for such items. For example

http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2009/music-icons/michael-jackson-59.html
MICHAEL JACKSON SIGNED "WHAT MORE CAN I GIVE" PRINT

this went for $22,000 hammer price. Why? because the bidder liked it. It is worth NOWHERE near that. It just a simple autographed canvas piece.

http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2009/music-icons/michael-jackson-10.html
MICHAEL JACKSON ORIGINAL MICKEY MOUSE "BAD" DRAWING

this went for $45,000 hammer price!!!! I mean forty five thousand dollars for a mickey mouse sketch? It does not even compare to some other MJ's art pieces. But why so high? because there were 2 bidders and the winner had small children with her who liked Mickey Mouse! LOL :)

http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2009/music-icons/michael-jackson-08.html
MICHAEL JACKSON ORIGINAL PAINTING OF CHARLIE CHAPLIN

This one a MUCH better MJ artwork fetched $22,000 hammer price. While being a lot more than the estimated value it is certainly not close to what Mickey mouse drawing got.

lots more to come. Lol!

Last edited:
We New Yorkers can be a funny bunch.

I hope that wasn't the glove he dropped in the toilet bowl. I read that over on the Michael Jackson Discussion board.

Just saw it on the BBC. That's huge and for it to sell so well is a testament to Michael's life as an artist and legacy.

I agree. I was expecting to see it sell for more like half a million or something like that. Sounds crazy, I know. But I really expected it to sell for more than that.

"It was a bargain - we were expecting to pay more," said Hoffman Ma, a Hong Kong hotel executive. "We're going to put it on display in our hotel. It will be free for everyone."

Great:) i can see it someday!

There were none. Those people that you saw were part of a group of bidders from California who were loud enough to create energy (bless their hearts for that) with each bid. Other than that there was no one worth mentioning from NY. Plus one irish guy who was there dressed up as MJ. Kudos to him for doing MJ impersonation in front of the stage WITHOUT music.

A city as big as this and MJ fans can't get their sh!t organized and be there. that is embarrassing.

And what pissed me off even more was that before the auction on the speakers and on the screen they played everything BUT MJ. Such stupidity if you ask me. If you want to conduct a historic MJ auction don't you want people to get motivated? So I went up an spoke to Julien's people about that and they said well nobody has said anything about it except you.... what can I say.

anyways, despite the lack of NY MJ fans the auction was a blast! The biggest entertainment I had in months for sure. I am glad I was part of that MJ history.

Throughout the event I was talking to people and giving them MJ facts about his memorabilia especially wardrobe pieces. Like people did not knew MJ performed BAD in munich 92 also wearing a similar or possibly the same BAD jacket.

It was a great event that could have been even better with more MJ fans and more sense from Julien's people. But, I am still happy for those people who were there for MJ.

people commenting on glove going for $350,00 hammer being less. I somewhat agree with this. I thought it was going to go for $500,000 hammer price. For example I spoke to the guy who won the glove and he said he thought it was a bargain because he was easily going to bid up to $375,000. Now, this I knew this before glove actual being auctioned off.

But still compare this $420,000 final price with $48,000 for someone who won a glove last week in Australia and in 1991 MJ's glove fetched $40,000 I think at Sotheby's England

Now some pieces were astronomical and I was puzzled why those people paid that much for such items. For example

http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2009/music-icons/michael-jackson-59.html
MICHAEL JACKSON SIGNED "WHAT MORE CAN I GIVE" PRINT

this went for $22,000 hammer price. Why? because the bidder liked it. It is worth NOWHERE near that. It just a simple autographed canvas piece.

http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2009/music-icons/michael-jackson-10.html
MICHAEL JACKSON ORIGINAL MICKEY MOUSE "BAD" DRAWING

this went for $45,000 hammer price!!!! I mean forty five thousand dollars for a mickey mouse sketch? It does not even compare to some other MJ's art pieces. But why so high? because there were 2 bidders and the winner had small children with her who liked Mickey Mouse! LOL :)

http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2009/music-icons/michael-jackson-08.html
MICHAEL JACKSON ORIGINAL PAINTING OF CHARLIE CHAPLIN

This one a MUCH better MJ artwork fetched $22,000 hammer price. While being a lot more than the estimated value it is certainly not close to what Mickey mouse drawing got.

lots more to come. Lol!

25K difference is not that big a deal.

I think 350K is astronomical. don't forget the world (even rich folks) is in a deep recession.

They interviewed a couple of fans from Manhattan & Queens, in that AP report.

I am sure most fans did not know they could attend the auction. Personally, I thought only serious bidders would be allowed in. I was surprised when CNN showed the fans lining up. Don't forget close to 20k fans showed up to celebrate his birthday in Brooklyn 3 months ago.

*It was me - Hong Kong Exec is just my secret identity* :D:D

He'll soon get his money back, no doubt fans will go just to see the glove. :)

I was at this auction in Australia to see Michael's glove. Sadly I found the same thing with no fans being there. There really only was a couple of people apart from professionals. Majority of bids taken over the phone, etc. But it was quite an upmarket atmosphere, still I don't know why more weren't there to see the glove etc.

I knew that it was the only memorabilia of that kind of expense and wow that was in Australia, so I really wanted to see it and be close to something of Michael's. I sooooo wish I could afford something like this to hold close to my heart. It was in a glass case, I sooo wanted to wear it.

This was my little video of the glove:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HakL3mU4K6w

I was at this auction in Australia to see Michael's glove. Sadly I found the same thing with no fans being there. There really only was a couple of people apart from professionals. Majority of bids taken over the phone, etc. But it was quite an upmarket atmosphere, still I don't know why more weren't there to see the glove etc.

I knew that it was the only memorabilia of that kind of expense and wow that was in Australia, so I really wanted to see it and be close to something of Michael's. I sooooo wish I could afford something like this to hold close to my heart. It was in a glass case, I sooo wanted to wear it.

This was my little video of the glove:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HakL3mU4K6w

Thanks for your video. Yeah I wish I could afford it also, if I am that wealthy I will buy the glove and return it to his children as I believed that it is something Michael would like to pass on to them.

Anyway, I am going to see the glove when I am home for christmas, I hope they allowed photography so that I can take lots of pictures. :)

Last edited:
Oh... how sad... but we knew this will happen. Yes, yes... 350K is A LOT OF MONEY. At least it is going to be in display for free... I hope the owner of the globe had given this to MJ's kids :-( How selfish not to do so and then say "Michael and his family will be always in my heart". Sorry, but this was THE way to show respect to him and his family.

But Ok... this is the real world, not the ideal world I'd love to live in :-(

I am happy I had the chance to see the glove and all this stuff. I never, ever expected to have this chance so it was a wonderful gift. The exhbition was some 3 weeks in Chile and it was a major success. I went twice, and it was always full!! Lots and lots and lots of people and loving fans. We sang, we screamed, we danced, we laughed and we show our deepest respect. Once in a lifetime opportunity for us, living at "the end" of the world :)

The globe was wonderful, but I fell in love with the BAD jacket... but most of all, with his dawings. What a man!!

Hope you like this pic of the globe, the jacket and my favourite drawing :)

The_glove_2.jpg

Dibujo_3.jpg

Bad_Tour_Jacket.jpg

^ I doubt a tatty old glove will make the slightest bit of difference to them now. They have their memories which are priceless.

Who knows, Ad. Who knows...

Anyways, I'm surprised to see the glove here (which is claimed it is the one he wore in the Motown performance) doesn't look at all what I thought it would. For the longest time, I thought he was wearing a Mickey Mouse type of glove with rhinestones on them. If you see the glove in his performance, you will notice it is the biggest glove he ever wore. Later, his glove was more form fitted to his hands.

Though I can't judge the dimensions by looking at a picture online, this one looks like a leather golf or baseball glove studded with stones.
Interesting. :)

the_more_you_know.jpg

Fantastic.

Thanks so much for sharing positive news!

here are some pictures I took. Sorry for the "club30s" mark but I have my pictures stolen before lol!

Mowtown 25 glove with VMA 1995 hat (went for $70,000 final)

club30sglovepic.jpg

close up

club30sglove2.jpg

and the pandemonium and madness afterwards :)

pandamoniumclub30s1.jpg

These pictures were taken at high ISO settings so may appear with that grain. These are actual 2500x1900 I think. PM me if you want the full ones.

I will post more tonight with detailed prices

Oh man....for some reason I feel weird for this stuff not being property of his kids. :scratch:

Awesome pictures though... :cry:

Back