Old songs are finally allowed to re chart on Hot 100

Hazard

Proud Member
Whitney Houston's 1992 smash "I Will Always Love You" re-enters the Hot 100 at #7, based on just one full day's worth of explosive sales and airplay following Houston's death on Saturday. Two other Houston hits also re-enter the chart. "I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)" re-opens at #35. "Greatest Love Of All" re-appears at #41. These were among 22 Houston hits that showed up this week on the top 200 Hot Digital Songs chart.

If this is true, then MJ can get the 6th no 1 song from the Bad album..:)

I for one don't like this at all. I think the charts should reflect what is now and not things based on tragedy fadual sales. I love Whitney, but I don't think it's fair to change the rules to help her out and not when MJ's songs were charting like crazy on iTunes.

Too bad that those rules weren't there when MJ died. Once again Michael changed history!

I know it's silly to be annoyed by this, it really isn't that big a deal, but I can't help but think it's a little unfair that they change the rules for Whitney but not for Michael. He had insane sales in 2009, but his songs weren't allowed to chart. But I'm glad for Whitney, she was an amazing singer and it's great that people love her music.

I know it's silly to be annoyed by this, it really isn't that big a deal, but I can't help but think it's a little unfair that they change the rules for Whitney but not for Michael. He had insane sales in 2009, but his songs weren't allowed to chart. But I'm glad for Whitney, she was an amazing singer and it's great that people love her music.

That's how I feel. Basically, MJ's death changed the albums chart and Whitney's changed the singles chart.

Too bad that those rules weren't there when MJ died. Once again Michael changed history!

^ They did change the album rule after MJ's death....

Exactly, because of Michael Billboard changed its rules, and anybody now can re-enter the charts, but Michael would have broken all the records if his albums and singles had been allowed to re-enter the charts, ---- I can imagine all the stars and icons top the charts ... like Madonna, Paul Macartney, ... but Michael will never have the pre-eminence.... and be the first... all his albums charted in top 10... geeee.

One thing you can or anybody can take away are the sale numbers Michael had. There is no disputing that. He sold around 30 million albums worldwide, that is insane!!

Also he was the number one selling artist of 2009, and if BAD gets re-released with new singles then he could have a chance to re-enter the charts again !

One thing you can or anybody can take away are the sale numbers Michael had. There is no disputing that. He sold around 30 million albums worldwide, that is insane!!

That is especially now a days. I can't really say that I like this because Michael would have been on the charts too. Even though it's probably impossible now I wish he could have one more #1 song. I know it sounds greedy of me.

I have no problem with Whitney being allowed to re-chart. She's amazing. I'm happy for her success.

Still, Michael should have been allowed to chart. His sales when he passed and the months following were insane, even more than Whitney's, but he wasn't allowed to chart. It's unfair that the media wont give him credit now. Billboard should have really changed the rules then. It is unfair to MJ.

That is especially now a days. I can't really say that I like this because Michael would have been on the charts too. Even though it's probably impossible now I wish he could have one more #1 song. I know it sounds greedy of me.

That's not greedy.
We are just fans that would like to see our idol in the top again.
Nothing wrong with wishing that.

They didnt change the rules for Whitney.
They changed the rules back in November 2009 . That is why we have seen a resurgance of Michael Jackson #Ones and other songs in the Top 200 the last few years .. They changed it becuase of Michael not inspite of Michael. They seen it wasnt fair after MJs death that his huge sales couldnt chart. They changed it that year 2009. NOt for Whitney

We probably could have gotten Invincible up there this past year too if fans would have supported that campaign more. We had to fight against the boycotter in the MJ fan base constantly while trying to promote that Campaign. The boycotters are headed by Malick and supported by KF. We have to openly stand against them and show the HOLES and LIES in their consiracy theories that promote boycotting as some how doing justice for or helping MJ.

From Paul Grein's Billboard Chart Watch
November 26, 2009

Until this week, catalog albums were barred from The Billboard 200. But after months of controversy and deliberation, Billboard decided to change its policy and allow all albums, current and catalog alike, to compete on its flagship album chart. As a result, 45 catalog albums invade the chart this week. Holiday albums lead the way. Casting Crowns' Peace On Earth re-enters the chart at #15. This is higher than the album peaked (at #24) when it was released in 2008. Taylor Swift's The Holiday Collection re-enters at #20. This is higher than it peaked (at #46) when it was released in 2007.

Michael Jackson, posthumous success made the need for the change glaringly apparent, has four of these 45 new chart entries. Number Ones re-enters the chart at #37. The album peaked at #13 when it was released in 2003 and would have topped the chart for six weeks over the summer if catalog albums had been allowed to compete then. The Essential Michael Jackson re-enters at #70. This beats the album's initial peak of #96 when it was released in 2005. The album would have hit #2 on the Billboard 200 in the week after Jackson's death in June if catalog albums had been eligible.

Other artists with multiple catalog albums invading the Billboard 200 this week are Michael Buble, also with four; the Beatles, Elvis Presley and Trans-Siberian Orchestra, with three each; and Casting Crowns, with two.

Keep in mind that the number of catalog albums that sold enough copies to qualify for the Billboard 200 this week is inflated because of the season. Twenty-nine of these 45 albums are holiday albums. Once we get past the holidays, the number of chart-worthy catalog albums will decrease. Twenty-eight of the top 200 albums for the year-to-date are catalog albums. That figure is more in line with what we can expect in terms of catalog albums on the big chart going forward.

Thank you Qbee I just wish some people would research first before they think, talk and type what they have to say... SMDH

Thank you so much for clearing that up.When I looked the charts and saw "I will always love you" and her "Greatest Hits" re-chart,I was thinking "That's odd,how can these re-chart and not Michael's back in summer 2009?"

But now I get it.I just wished they had changed the rules earlier so that Michael's would chart high.

Michael Jackson, posthumous success made the need for the change glaringly apparent, has four of these 45 new chart entries. Number Ones re-enters the chart at #37. The album peaked at #13 when it was released in 2003 and would have topped the chart for six weeks over the summer if catalog albums had been allowed to compete then.

Last edited:
They didnt change the rules for Whitney.
They changed the rules back in November 2009 . That is why we have seen a resurgance of Michael Jackson #Ones and other songs in the Top 200 the last few years .. They changed it becuase of Michael not inspite of Michael. They seen it wasnt fair after MJs death that his huge sales couldnt chart. They changed it that year 2009. NOt for Whitney

They changed their album policy in November 2009, but it's only now that they changed their policy regarding singles as well. Before this week old singles couldn't re-chart, it was only albums that could. So they did change the rules when Whitney's sales were at their peak, but not when Michael's sales were at their peak. Again, I'm not saying this is a huge issue, I think it's a good change and I'm glad Whitney is doing so well, she deserves it. But I don't think it's so unreasonable to feel that it would have been nice if the rules had been changed when Michael could have topped the album and single charts.

^ Yeah, i agree. Hadn't realised that the singles policy had been changed so suddenly for whitney - they must have changed it in like literally days. I'd have liked another no 1 album for mj!

I think the hot 100 should be like the majority of charts and run solely off sales regardless if the song is new or not, a chart should be about what is popular with audiences, not only what is current and being played.
Then MJ would definitely get another or maybe even a few more number ones! Plus it would benefit the older artists who sell but don't get a lot of airplay, it's rare that you hear older artists on the radio unless they're collaborating with young artists.

as improbable as it may be it would be awesome if somehow Smooth Criminal got to number one, so MJ would solely own the record for most number ones from a single album. I wont lie, i was disappointed when Katy Perry tied his record.

as improbable as it may be it would be awesome if somehow Smooth Criminal got to number one, so MJ would solely own the record for most number ones from a single album. I wont lie, i was disappointed when Katy Perry tied his record.

Don't be. MJ's meant much more and at the end of the day, records don't mean anything - only the music.

Why isn't the hot 100 run solely on sales? i don't understand how they chart it all but thought it did run on sales.:S bad 25 is coming up in few months hopefully we will see MJ back at no 1,

Also he was the number one selling artist of 2009, and if BAD gets re-released with new singles then he could have a chance to re-enter the charts again !

Exactly! It's Bad 25 this year guys :) If they re-release Bad we can definitely get some singles on the Hot 100. Maybe even get that 6th number 1!!!

Why isn't the hot 100 run solely on sales? i don't understand how they chart it all but thought it did run on sales.:S bad 25 is coming up in few months hopefully we will see MJ back at no 1,

It goes off airplay too, which could be a problem for getting older songs to the top of the charts. I think its still weighted towards airplay, I think it should be at least 80% based off sales if they wish to incorporate airplay it should only be a small percentage, definitely not more than sales anyway.

Nobody get mad but I don't know if Michael will ever get a #1 song again. I never hear it on the radio. Hold My Hand I hardly ever heard on the radio. Very rare and I think it could have done better on the charts if played on regular radio. It's just my opinion. Some songs you hear a million times a day it feels like anyways. I would like to see it happen for Michael one more time but I don't know.

Nobody get mad but I don't know if Michael will ever get a #1 song again. I never hear it on the radio. Hold My Hand I hardly ever heard on the radio. Very rare and I think it could have done better on the charts if played on regular radio. It's just my opinion. Some songs you hear a million times a day it feels like anyways. I would like to see it happen for Michael one more time but I don't know.

Not mad, that is definitely a realistic way to think. :)

Yeah, I agree. Hold My Hand peaked at #39, not surprising considering it didn't really get airplay. Billboard Hot 100 is so heavily influenced by radio airplay (it's 50% airplay and 45% sales), and of course airplay helps increase sales too, so it's not really possible to get a huge hit without radio support, which Michael doesn't have. And I just feel that if the first single off the first posthumous album didn't chart higher than that, other songs aren't likely to do any better.

I guess it would have been nice to get one more top 10 hit, but on the other hand Michael has already had all the success anyone could hope for. He doesn't need number one singles anymore, he's already a legend and one of the best-selling artists of all time.

I guess it would have been nice to get one more top 10 hit, but on the other hand Michael has already had all the success anyone could hope for. He doesn't need number one singles anymore, he's already a legend and one of the best-selling artists of all time.

This. : )

King MichaelJ @KingMikeJ
@billboard With the recent Hot 100 rule changes, does that mean MJ's "Smooth Criminal" could go to #1 if enough fans re-purchased it? #KMJ

Billboard @billboard
@kingmikej Great question - sent this to our charts experts for a quick double-check.

Billboard @billboard
@kingmikej Older songs registering enough popularity will be eligible to chart if ranking in the top 50 (contd)

Billboard @billboard
@kingmikej ...and our charts dept. will handle titles on an individual basis.

King MichaelJ @KingMikeJ
@billboard With the recent Hot 100 rule changes, does that mean MJ's "Smooth Criminal" could go to #1 if enough fans re-purchased it? #KMJ

Billboard @billboard
@kingmikej Great question - sent this to our charts experts for a quick double-check.

Billboard @billboard
@kingmikej Older songs registering enough popularity will be eligible to chart if ranking in the top 50 (contd)

Billboard @billboard
@kingmikej ...and our charts dept. will handle titles on an individual basis.

Wuz that mean? lol. That is a yes then?

ETA: I think this re-charting after decades off the charts could be fantastic for society as a whole. It will encourage youngins to listen to songs that aren't being sung by One Direction who whoever the F else.
Imagine a Billboard Hot 100 with old classics from the 90s, 80s, 70s, 60s littered throughout the list???

Back